Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

I’ll hold off until the tech gets better. I want the real sensation of picking hay out of my butt and won’t settle for a cheap imitation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kuiperdolin
Sep 5, 2011

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Usb finger guillotine synchronised with that cutscene where they chop Basim's off. The screen flashes a helpful reminder to put it on ice and go to the ER.

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

https://twitter.com/mommilph/status/1679868052761100288?t=Scj3hKdKAbBCBUHMu-u-VA&s=19

isk
Oct 3, 2007

You don't want me owing you
After I beat Mirage while wearing the suit

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

ilitarist posted:

No point in arguing over subjective love for specific settings, especially when we can all agree that Valhalla is the worst.

I don’t hate Valhalla but I haven’t beaten it yet. I like a lot of the little stories but eivore is just to stoic compared to bayek and kass. I like the various stories but it’s perpetual wheel spinning.

Saxophone
Sep 19, 2006

Dapper_Swindler posted:

I don’t hate Valhalla but I haven’t beaten it yet. I like a lot of the little stories but eivore is just to stoic compared to bayek and kass. I like the various stories but it’s perpetual wheel spinning.

There’s a fair few things I didn’t like about Valhalla, but most of all I just want Kass in every story because she knows she’s the protagonist and she’s over it. It rules.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

i love kassandra but i think bayek is my all time favorite ac protagonist, i just enjoy the guy's vibe.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider
Honestly I just really enjoy his character arc and how (even though the concept of the assassins is much older) everything starts because of something so personal.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

does it come in xxxl

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

not to be a luddite but personally i think one of the cool things about video games is that when your character gets hurt you don't get hurt. escapism and all that.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Earwicker posted:

i love kassandra but i think bayek is my all time favorite ac protagonist, i just enjoy the guy's vibe.

I was talking to someone earlier today and they said the acropolis is much less cool when you have to queue to go up instead of getting to parkour up and I’m like drat the real world won’t even let me be kassandra smh

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Earwicker posted:

not to be a luddite but personally i think one of the cool things about video games is that when your character gets hurt you don't get hurt. escapism and all that.

Or even tired. I don't think I would have gotten into games if they were all Ring Fit Adventure.

RenegadeStyle1
Jun 7, 2005

Baby Come Back
I think it'd be fun as like a game unto itself or like those laser tag places but I can't imagine coming home from work and strapping a vest on so I can feel getting stabbed as a nightly gaming session.

isk
Oct 3, 2007

Arivia posted:

I was talking to someone earlier today and they said the acropolis is much less cool when you have to queue to go up instead of getting to parkour up and I’m like drat the real world won’t even let me be kassandra smh

legalize Spartan Kicking billionaires off cliffs

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost

RenegadeStyle1 posted:

I think it'd be fun as like a game unto itself or like those laser tag places but I can't imagine coming home from work and strapping a vest on so I can feel getting stabbed as a nightly gaming session.

If you die too many times in-game, the vest takes pity on you and just ends your misery

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Earwicker posted:

this. i love kass/alexyos but bayek is just a better arc. he is some dude who is happy doing a job his family has been doing and then he realizes its all bullshit in the worst possible way and then him and his wife process their revenge differently. i do like the implication that they get back together at some point.

christmas boots posted:

Honestly I just really enjoy his character arc and how (even though the concept of the assassins is much older) everything starts because of something so personal.

yeah, also his actor just loving sells all the emotional beats.

Buschmaki
Dec 26, 2012

‿︵‿︵‿︵‿Lean Addict︵‿︵‿︵‿
ezio ft mothereffin w

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Buschmaki posted:

ezio ft mothereffin w

i mean i love ezio but like 4 of the protags are different flavors of ezio.

ilitarist
Apr 26, 2016

illiterate and militarist
Bayek's VA is incredible but he suffers from being in a game where this kind of character doesn't work as well as a simpler character like Kassandra. He totally sells how he's overcome by rage and thirst for revenge but oh wait, to complete the next story mission I need to gain a couple more levels, guess I'll go to another region and do some quests about helping an old gladiator where Bayek behaves like a totally different character.

I suppose some of this could be mitigated by a stronger editing. Among Witcher 3 writers everyone knew who Geralt was so he felt consistent, but in Origins (and in Valhalla it's even more evident) Bayek is sometimes a bloodthirsty Batman and sometimes he's Kiryu Kazuma.

Kuiperdolin
Sep 5, 2011

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

The playable character that works the best in the context of his game is Jacob, since his personnality is basically "open-world player" anyway. A genial fellow with all the the eagerness and attention span of a golden retriever.

The best playable character is Connor.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Ezio remains the best. I still remember the post-prologue opening of Brotherhood:

"Hey where are you going?"
"To go make a point"

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
ACIV update bungled the game so it's always windowed (and not borderless), and the typical ways of removing the window border crash the game.

https://www.reddit.com/r/pcgaming/comments/14s43vd/assassins_creed_iv_black_flag_update_breaks_the/

ilitarist
Apr 26, 2016

They've also included Aveline DLC for everyone, which I didn't know existed.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Dapper_Swindler posted:

I think Eivor (or at least male Eivor, who I prefer somewhat to the female one*) works well as a sort of charismatic "warrior poet guy." His voice actor is a huge part of this.

I also like how he's primarily motivated by his personal relationships (with Sigurd being the biggest one, but you also have other people from his village, like Sigurd's wife).

* this is unusual for me, and I unquestionably preferred Kassandra in Odyssey (and usually prefer the female protagonist option when there's a binary choice like that)

Kuiperdolin
Sep 5, 2011

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

ilitarist posted:

They've also included Aveline DLC for everyone, which I didn't know existed.

I still stand by what I wrote about it way back when:

Kuiperdolin posted:

The weirdest part of it all is the random Aveline dlc in Black Flag :

- nothing whatsoever to do with the main game
- nothing to do with Liberation either except for the protagonist.
- weirdly short but also weirdly long
- obviously recycled assets that fit poorly together. For instance the Aveline character uses Edward's animation but is slightly shorter so when climbing she seems to miss every hold then 'snaps' onto them
- a kind of backdoor coop prototype mission but you play it solo
- seems to set up something but then it just ends
- there's a lady who pulls a piece of Eden out of her bajingo

It's this whole bizarre pileup. I'd really like to hear a candid explanation of the thought process that led to it.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Ytlaya posted:

I think Eivor (or at least male Eivor, who I prefer somewhat to the female one*) works well as a sort of charismatic "warrior poet guy." His voice actor is a huge part of this.

I also like how he's primarily motivated by his personal relationships (with Sigurd being the biggest one, but you also have other people from his village, like Sigurd's wife).

* this is unusual for me, and I unquestionably preferred Kassandra in Odyssey (and usually prefer the female protagonist option when there's a binary choice like that)

I don't think anyone is going to attack you for preferring Eivor. "He doesn't always play as the woman, get 'im!"

I usually prefer the female choice too and it usually comes down to hearing good things about the voice actor. And Sheppard and Kassandra didn't disappoint.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Ytlaya posted:

i honestly like alyxios because kass made a better deimos and i like alyxios playing a dumb murder himbo with a heart of gold. kass is great too though. I liked lady eivor a bunch and i like her kinda lady geralt act but idk.

Lobok posted:

I don't think anyone is going to attack you for preferring Eivor. "He doesn't always play as the woman, get 'im!"

I usually prefer the female choice too and it usually comes down to hearing good things about the voice actor. And Sheppard and Kassandra didn't disappoint.

i always liked male shepard alot and think he is underated. he kinda has a captain america growth in tone. i think it took until too for mark meer to find the tones he wanted and honestly he is loving great in 2 and 3 and it works when you think of sheapard as pretty straight laced in 1 but after everyone ignoring him and dying and all, he cuts loses way more.

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost

Rinkles posted:

ACIV update bungled the game so it's always windowed (and not borderless), and the typical ways of removing the window border crash the game.

https://www.reddit.com/r/pcgaming/comments/14s43vd/assassins_creed_iv_black_flag_update_breaks_the/

An update has fixed this now btw.

Wrr
Aug 8, 2010

Dapper_Swindler posted:

i mean i love ezio but like 4 of the protags are different flavors of ezio.

That's not Ezio's fault. That's on them.

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

Started AC Odyssey on pc recently, drat this game is beautiful. Origins was my favorite since Black Flag and drat this game is hitting a perfect mix of Origins + Black Flag. I believe it is the team that made Black Flag, I really like all the naval combat and rpg mechanics they brought from Black Flag into that. I also got a sense that there might be some bigger battles like in AC3 in the prologue, I haven't made it far enough to see if we get to be in actual battlefields.

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

Ulio posted:

Started AC Odyssey on pc recently, drat this game is beautiful. Origins was my favorite since Black Flag and drat this game is hitting a perfect mix of Origins + Black Flag. I believe it is the team that made Black Flag, I really like all the naval combat and rpg mechanics they brought from Black Flag into that. I also got a sense that there might be some bigger battles like in AC3 in the prologue, I haven't made it far enough to see if we get to be in actual battlefields.

You’re in for a treat

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Wrr posted:

That's not Ezio's fault. That's on them.

oh i know.

id sorta love a remake of 2/brothhood someday as some weird giant compasite game. like years and years from now.

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

Mokotow posted:

You’re in for a treat

Ya I can tell I am gonna love it. Same thing with Origins and Black Flag. There is so much to do and the world is beautiful. I almost 100% both those games which I rarely do in open world games.

isk
Oct 3, 2007

Ulio posted:

Ya I can tell I am gonna love it. Same thing with Origins and Black Flag. There is so much to do and the world is beautiful. I almost 100% both those games which I rarely do in open world games.

My advice: Generally stick to the core game. The 1st DLC is awful. The 2nd DLC is... OK. There's a lot to do. It's at least not offensive like the 1st DLC is

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

isk posted:

My advice: Generally stick to the core game. The 1st DLC is awful. The 2nd DLC is... OK. There's a lot to do. It's at least not offensive like the 1st DLC is

keep the first dlc because it adds more ships in the world but yeah it sucks no matter who you play as. 2nd dlc sucks worse mechanically though

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

Dapper_Swindler posted:

oh i know.

id sorta love a remake of 2/brothhood someday as some weird giant compasite game. like years and years from now.

It’s already been a decade plus since the Ezio trilogy, I hope Mirage is a good enough trial balloon to go back to renaissance Italy

ilitarist
Apr 26, 2016

Ulio posted:

For additional appreciation of the world I highly recommend jumping into Discovery Tour. You can find some spoilers there if you go deep, but I think you'll be safe if you just watch several lessons about some down to earth things. This will make you look at environments in a different way, and to see the process behind some of the design.

Also a lot of people take issue with this game being an actual action RPG. Unlike Origins you will not be capable archer, assassin and warrior at the same time (unless you really really know what you're doing). Try to stick to one of the sides. Warrior is probably the easiest cause there are very few instances where you are forced to use stealth and ranged combat.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider
You know what? Take us to spain this time

isk
Oct 3, 2007

christmas boots posted: