Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Stereotype)

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

RandomBlue posted:

finally a solution:

Yeah woohoo white power!

Christ.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aragosta
May 12, 2001

hiding in plain sight

Honky Mao posted:

DIM! THAT! SUN!!!

Mmmmmm, I could go for some dim sun.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

cash crab posted:

... 152???????

https://www.weather.gov/ama/heatindex

cash crab
Apr 5, 2015

all the time i am eating from the trashcan. the name of this trashcan is ideology

it's not even ON THE CHART :stonk:

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Zeta Taskforce posted:

There is no downside to painting surfaces white.

Wrong. This is exactly the one sided logic that got us into this place.

Transportation emissions, production emissions, even the costs and risks of applying that paint are downsides. Applying paint can make things worse not better if the emissions related to getting the paint cause more warming than the increase in albedo prevents.

Then there are the local risks, risks to the workers (hope the paint isn’t a carcinogen) and the risks to the local environment. Roads are equipped with storm drains after all, hope no one tips over the bucket.

And of course there are still the end of life costs. Remember, paint doesn’t last forever. Does the paint need to be stripped at end of life? What are the life cycle emissions of the paint stripper? Is it an oil based paint? An acrylic paint? Will painting the roads mean in 5 years we’ve just created a new source of aerosolized plastic pollution all over town?

We’ve done this short sighted “we need to do something, might as well try the easiest thing!” over and over again. Spraying PCB oil on roads, spraying frac water on roads, and painting the roads is just the newest version of that.

Fell Mood
Jul 2, 2022

A terrible Fell look!
Hm. I hear you. So I'm thinking..... dye the oceans white maybe?

Puppy Burner
Sep 9, 2011
Nuke the USA down to bedrock. Problem solved.

mags
May 30, 2008

I am a congenital optimist.

Zeta Taskforce posted:

There is no downside to painting surfaces white.

it looks like poo poo

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

cash crab posted:

:siren: UNCHARTED TERRITORY

Zeta Taskforce
Jun 27, 2002

Trabisnikof posted:

Wrong. This is exactly the one sided logic that got us into this place.

Transportation emissions, production emissions, even the costs and risks of applying that paint are downsides. Applying paint can make things worse not better if the emissions related to getting the paint cause more warming than the increase in albedo prevents.

Then there are the local risks, risks to the workers (hope the paint isn’t a carcinogen) and the risks to the local environment. Roads are equipped with storm drains after all, hope no one tips over the bucket.

And of course there are still the end of life costs. Remember, paint doesn’t last forever. Does the paint need to be stripped at end of life? What are the life cycle emissions of the paint stripper? Is it an oil based paint? An acrylic paint? Will painting the roads mean in 5 years we’ve just created a new source of aerosolized plastic pollution all over town?

We’ve done this short sighted “we need to do something, might as well try the easiest thing!” over and over again. Spraying PCB oil on roads, spraying frac water on roads, and painting the roads is just the newest version of that.

I'm not aware of paint being a major carcinogen, which is a good thing because looking out my window now and I see painted surfaces as far as the eye can see. I am sitting in a room where all the walls and ceiling are painted. I am surrounded by paint on 5 sides, or really every side when you consider that the floor below me has a ceiling that is painted. I'm guessing that if you're inside you are surrounded on all sides by paint too. There are millions of people worldwide who already make a living painting things, part of their job is scrapping off old paint, they are not dropping dead. Producing paint does not contribute meaningfully to emissions. If a building on a hot day is 10 degrees cooler than it otherwise would be, the energy needed to produce, transport and apply the paint would be paid back in one days worth of reduced cooling needs. I was not aware that we were mixing PCB oil or frac water in our paint.

Its not a solution to address global warming, its a low tech solution to make individual buildings more comfortable.

It is so depressing to witness first hand the climate changing in front of my eyes and then see all these charts that back up my worst fears, and be told that literally anything anyone does on any scale somehow makes the problem even worse.

mags posted:

it looks like poo poo

True, I just resided my house with blue cement board siding

AceClown
Sep 11, 2005

Danru posted:

*slaps roof of the earth*

this bad boy can fit so many heat domes in it

https://twitter.com/weatherprof/status/1681087826425782278?s=46&t=J2BqIfsmzti0Wyc0pYNkXg

Boy Mercury shooting through every degree
Oh girl dancing down those dirty and dusty trails
Take it hip to hip, rocket through the wilderness
Around the world the trip begins with a kiss
Dome if you want to
Dome around the world

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

I'm screaming and charting over here!

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things
Re: the paint thing

Weve spent a fuckload of time and effort working on permeable concrete mixes because it turns out turning whole cities into flood spill ways was a bad idea.

The paint is incompatible with a permeable surface.

A Bad King
Jul 17, 2009

Suppose the oil man,
He comes to town.
And you don't lay money down.

Yet Mr. King,
He killed the thread
The other day.
Well I wonder.
Who's gonna go to Hell?

SplitSoul posted:

one thing at a time. be sure to hydrate between screams.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

SplitSoul posted:

Biosphere Collapse: Scraeming and Charting

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

Just a Moron posted:

The soviets demonstrated that it is possible to build large modern housing projects on the cheap. People poo poo on the soviet block housing, but it was a god send for countless Russian villagers and would absolutely be an upgrade for millions of people living in the u.s. today, not to mention people from the global south.

Finland was built full of soviet housing too, just a bit better quality. The upgrade from old buildings was a significant one. In peak year in 1974 74000 apartments were built. It would be hard to achieve with any other methods.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

cash crab posted:

we need a :hailsatan: smiley for climate change

Colin Mockery
Jun 24, 2007
Rawr

I thought paint fumes did cause cancer, actually, and that was why people used to wear masks when painting houses or rooms.

Rip Testes
Jan 29, 2004

I never forget a face, but in your case I'll be glad to make an exception.

Wowee Zowee!

Unless
Jul 24, 2005

I art

quote:

COLUMBUS, Ohio – Superhero and crusader for the environment Captain Planet is reportedly ready to throw in the towel on his quest to conserve nature’s infinite beauty, several smog-induced hacking sources report.

“I used everything you people love to warn you that we’ll be hosed if we didn’t start taking climate change seriously,” a very frustrated Captain Planet said. “I had a TV show, a catchy theme song, plenty of merchandising, but no, you still continued not giving a poo poo. You just had to drive your big trucks, just had to have your cheap factory farm meat, and just couldn’t live without your precious gas stoves. gently caress it, we deserve this. The Planeteers are all assholes now anyways and sold out to big oil years ago, so extra gently caress them.”

Gaia’s orderly Gretchen McDaniels expressed concern about the painful toll Captain Planet’s giving up has taken on the Mother of Earth.

“Gaia had been in poor health for several decades, but ever since the Captain lost all interest in saving the planet, her health took a dramatic turn for the worse. No one wants to see their kid abandon all hope like that,” McDaniels explained. “Now she’s on life support, and we’re not sure how much longer she’ll make it. And I’m not sure how all of us are going to pull through when the preserver of harmony, peace and life on Earth passes.”

Professor of Cartoon Propaganda at Harvard University Dr. Herbert Eastman expects to see more apathetic educational characters come forward.

“Unfortunately, when all that fame and fortune ran out for some of these PSA cartoon characters, so did their ability to give a poo poo,” Dr. Eastman explained. “The most recent and possibly the most tragic story of them all is that of Smokey the Bear. The dude warned us repeatedly about forest fires, but it seemed like a big joke to everyone. After not being taken seriously, Smokey said ‘to hell with it’ years ago and now look, the entire planet is on fire. He even wore pants out of decency, he didn’t have to do that, he’s a bear.”

At press time, Captain Planet was spotted looking for other planets that aren’t “festering shitholes” to protect, and eventually call home.

https://thehardtimes.net/culture/after-30-plus-years-captain-planet-finally-just-says-gently caress-it-were-toast/

Zeta Taskforce
Jun 27, 2002

silicone thrills posted:

Re: the paint thing

Weve spent a fuckload of time and effort working on permeable concrete mixes because it turns out turning whole cities into flood spill ways was a bad idea.

The paint is incompatible with a permeable surface.

In our new world where 100 year floods are happening a couple times a decade, permeable concrete is another form of mitigation. That has to take priority. That said, I hope my roof isn't permeable.

Colin Mockery posted:

I thought paint fumes did cause cancer, actually, and that was why people used to wear masks when painting houses or rooms.

Professional painters are not out there with brushes and rollers, some of it does get aerosolized. Even if it doesn't cause cancer they still don't want to breath it.

Hit Man
Mar 6, 2008

I hope after I die people will say of me: "That guy sure owed me a lot of money."

https://twitter.com/BBCScienceNews/status/1681365271737499648?s=20

A good way to preserve the dead

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

Zeta Taskforce posted:

Really it would be worse than business as usual because it would take away the urgency to act.

What urgency to act lol

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

Rip Testes posted:

Wowee Zowee!

Addendum: Zoinks!

Hubbert
Mar 25, 2007

At a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.

Perry Mason Jar
Feb 24, 2006

"Della? Take a lid"

The Oldest Man posted:

What urgency to act lol

Lmao

Ruggan
Feb 20, 2007
WHAT THAT SMELL LIKE?!

but that’s just the surface of the sea. what about measuring the deeper parts, and hey… why aren’t you including data back to the birth of Christ? I think if you did you’d find other anomalies so we are fine, actually

Ruggan
Feb 20, 2007
WHAT THAT SMELL LIKE?!

actually, why don’t we paint the ocean surface white? has anybody thought of that yet?

maybe by using a bunch of plastic balls that coat the surface like that one reservoir did???

A Bad King
Jul 17, 2009

Suppose the oil man,
He comes to town.
And you don't lay money down.

Yet Mr. King,
He killed the thread
The other day.
Well I wonder.
Who's gonna go to Hell?
the only constant is change.
that is reflected in the feedback we've seen so far.

Perry Mason Jar
Feb 24, 2006

"Della? Take a lid"
I actually would like a longer x axis. Doubt it would bring any comfort but it's worth a try

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things

Zeta Taskforce posted:

In our new world where 100 year floods are happening a couple times a decade, permeable concrete is another form of mitigation. That has to take priority. That said, I hope my roof isn't permeable.

Professional painters are not out there with brushes and rollers, some of it does get aerosolized. Even if it doesn't cause cancer they still don't want to breath it.

You are also missing the possibilities like what we found out with car tire chemicals - what is the total effect on the environment? It took us like 60 years to realize the salmon are wasting and dying in the PNW because of car tires.

Anyway you seem obnoxious so that's it for engagement for me.

Lets just keep kicking that can down the road and not do anything about the real problems - fossil fuels and the developed world using more than our fair share of the resources.

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

To clarify my original point: climate change (in the sense of globally higher temperatures and destabilized weather) is going to act to limit the upward spiral of CO2 emissions by killing us in large numbers via starvation. "Fixing" that via temperature control methods that don't address CO2 emissions will simply allow that emission spiral to continue longer before collapse and push the global climate system further into CO2 overshoot. A concerted effort at geoengineering that actually works will - at best - buy humans another few decades of party time at the cost of upgrading our upcoming mass extinction from a very mild (pleasant almost) Kačák Event to a refreshingly brisk Permian-Triassic boundary.

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things

Ruggan posted:

actually, why don’t we paint the ocean surface white? has anybody thought of that yet?

maybe by using a bunch of plastic balls that coat the surface like that one reservoir did???

lol the plastic balls into reservoirs thing still crack pings me. Microplastics in trade for lower evaporation rates. Is it worth it?

https://www.nbcnews.com/storyline/california-drought/great-balls-water-millions-shade-spheres-afloat-l-reservoirs-n409306

Ruggan
Feb 20, 2007
WHAT THAT SMELL LIKE?!

what if we put a bunch of reflective particles in the ocean… like a fuckton of glitter maybe… I bet that would help!

Ruggan
Feb 20, 2007
WHAT THAT SMELL LIKE?!

Fell Mood posted:

Hm. I hear you. So I'm thinking..... dye the oceans white maybe?

damnit man… I was gonna patent the idea but I guess you beat me to it

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

just pour milk into the ocean, duh

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things
This headline is cracking me up

https://www.cnn.com/2023/07/18/business/blackrock-names-board-member-amin-nasser-saudi-aramco/index.html

quote:

BlackRock made a climate pledge. Then it appointed a Saudi oil executive to its board

like uhhh duh of course they did that

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Danru posted:

*slaps roof of the earth*

this bad boy can fit so many heat domes in it

https://twitter.com/weatherprof/status/1681087826425782278?s=46&t=J2BqIfsmzti0Wyc0pYNkXg

Soon it'll just be two heat domes, opposed. We call that a heat sphere

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

It's literally the CEO who took Saudi Aramco public lmao

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Soggy Muffin
Jul 29, 2003

The Oldest Man posted:

The funniest part about aerosol injection and white paint is that even if it does work with zero side effects all that does is let the party continue a couple extra years until CO2 ocean acidification wipes out all marine life

Quite frankly I can’t be the only one that would finally be able to enjoy the ocean and all it has to offer knowing that nothing creepy will bite me. Could finally go snorkeling and see all the cool poo poo down there!