Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

FlocksOfMice posted:

Even if this were fixed, the NPCs wouldn't take intelligent advantage of it,
I was looking at the wiki the other day and apparently it is a random damage range for NPCs. :shepface:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Node posted:

I guess we can also re-mention the fact that fatigue affects lots of poo poo you wouldn't expect in a computer game, such as lockpicking and mercantile
Every time I try to unlock my own front door when I'm tired or drunk it takes me three times longer than it should, let alone picking the lock

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

but drinking makes me a better negotiator!

...well, there's a terrible mod idea.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Doc Hawkins posted:

but drinking makes me a better negotiator!

...well, there's a terrible mod idea.

Idea: being drunk makes your character see NPC dispositions as higher and enemy health bars as lower than they actually are

Jimmy Noskill
Nov 5, 2010

WhiskeyWhiskers posted:

https://www.nexusmods.com/morrowind/mods/52500?tab=description

This mod adds the setownership command from Oblivion and Skyrim into the console. You could try and see if that works.

I fixed it by changing a setting in the Ashfall MCM, but thanks for your help.

a7m2
Jul 9, 2012

Is it possible to get all attributes to 100 without exploits, mods or cheats (base values, not with enchantments/magic/potions/etc)? I assume I'd have to pick luck every single level up and get 5x on two others each time

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

a7m2 posted:

Is it possible to get all attributes to 100 without exploits, mods or cheats (base values, not with enchantments/magic/potions/etc)? I assume I'd have to pick luck every single level up and get 5x on two others each time
I believe so, but it requires ensuring you have skills associated with the stats carefully arranged in your major/minor/misc categories and being careful about what you level. Maximum level without using exploits/bugs to go higher is 78, and that's assuming you don't have any bonuses to your major or minor skills in character creation, so in practice it'd be lower.

If you are doing that, the longest part is Luck, which will take you until level 51 assuming you picked it as a favored attribute in a custom class.

a7m2
Jul 9, 2012

Zereth posted:

I believe so, but it requires ensuring you have skills associated with the stats carefully arranged in your major/minor/misc categories and being careful about what you level. Maximum level without using exploits/bugs to go higher is 78, and that's assuming you don't have any bonuses to your major or minor skills in character creation, so in practice it'd be lower.

If you are doing that, the longest part is Luck, which will take you until level 51 assuming you picked it as a favored attribute in a custom class.

I'm tempted to do it. I've played Morrowind so many times but I've never really powergamed it

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

a7m2 posted:

I'm tempted to do it. I've played Morrowind so many times but I've never really powergamed it

Abusing potions seems way easier if your intention is to powergame

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

a7m2 posted:

Yep. Bittercup raises your highest attribute so drain everything but luck and get a free 20 points at the cost of some personality or whatever. Going to jail also reduces skills which gives you more buffer room

Sky Shadowing
Feb 13, 2012

At least we're not the Thalmor (yet)
Morrowind is by far the easiest TES game to power level (without exploits) because of the ability to train with NPCs infinite times per level.

Find some of the super valuable items, sell them to Creeper, bounce between people in Balmora, training only stats in 2 attributes 10x each, 10 of them major/minor, 10 misc. Take the 5x level up modifiers and luck.

Do that for a bit and you'll probably hit a point where you could naturally achieve perfect attributes with just playing the game.

My characters usually a god before I start pretty much any faction.

Cantorsdust
Aug 10, 2008

Infinitely many points, but zero length.

a7m2 posted:

In theory you should be able to level indefinitely by going to jail, losing skill points, and then regaining them.

In reality I took Proportional Progression and modified the MWSE lua file so that it adds XP at the rate of (level / 50) times the base XP. That normalizes the leveling so that every skill always grows as fast as it would if it was at 50. So skills can level indefinitely at a flat XP curve forever. Just my personal preference.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Sky Shadowing posted:

Morrowind is by far the easiest TES game to power level (without exploits) because of the ability to train with NPCs infinite times per level.

Find some of the super valuable items, sell them to Creeper, bounce between people in Balmora, training only stats in 2 attributes 10x each, 10 of them major/minor, 10 misc. Take the 5x level up modifiers and luck.

Do that for a bit and you'll probably hit a point where you could naturally achieve perfect attributes with just playing the game.

My characters usually a god before I start pretty much any faction.

If you're planning to power level without mods, prioritize Endurance as one of the abilities you get 5x in until you max that, since health at level up is determined by your current Endurance, and it's not retroactive if you level it up later. Spear and both medium and heavy armor are endurance based so it's not hard, especially since most players aren't going to want to use spear at all, and will only want to use one of those two armor skills, so you can start them super low for cheap training at low levels.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

Spear doubly owns because you can run backwards stabbing and the extra reach gives you a lot better survivability

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

Why walk when you can ride?

Air Skwirl posted:

since most players aren't going to want to use spear at all

Look at this fuckin s'wit lads

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Gaz Posting Brigade :c00lbert:
OTOH, you don’t need to minmax anything because you basically have you actively try to not break the game in two

a7m2
Jul 9, 2012

Thanks for all the advice! I completely forgot about jail.

whydirt posted:

OTOH, you don’t need to minmax anything because you basically have you actively try to not break the game in two

It's just a fun little goal for me.

kazr
Jan 28, 2005

The character that I completed virtually all content in Vvardenfell + expansions with had 100 stats (including luck) without training. Beyond slotting in luck every level and focusing on getting endurance related skill ups in the beginning for maximum health, I didnt min max stat gains on level up.

That character ended up level 70 something with the only major/minor not 100 was mysticism at 50~

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

The most useful skill in the game is your lowest? Blowing my mind.

Cantorsdust
Aug 10, 2008

Infinitely many points, but zero length.
I suspect most of you here already know this, but the travel shortcuts you can make when you combine the fast travel system with Almsivi and Divine Intervention are insane. Very useful spells.

Grevlek
Jan 11, 2004

a7m2 posted:

https://youtu.be/zUPsI9gAKno

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

Cantorsdust posted:

I suspect most of you here already know this, but the travel shortcuts you can make when you combine the fast travel system with Almsivi and Divine Intervention are insane. Very useful spells.

Also always remember which cities have multiple fast travel methods, like Vivec has silt striders, ships, and the mages guild, Sadrith Mora has boats and mages guild, Khuul I think has silt strider and boats, etc.

Divine Intervention is particularly great to Sadrith Mora, for example, because you’re only one story away from the mages guild at that point…

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

Divine intervention is how you get unlost in wolverine hall

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
Just be careful about using mage travel and intervention together, because IIRC it'll reference the original location for intervention until you step outside.

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

Jack B Nimble posted:

Just be careful about using mage travel and intervention together, because IIRC it'll reference the original location for intervention until you step outside.

I'm 100% sure that if you transport to the MG in sadrith mora and cast divine intervention it will pop you outside the shrine as expected. Source: I'm too lazy to walk

Musical_Daredevil
Dec 23, 2008

Need some backup NOW!

Jack B Nimble posted:

I believe that was fixed at some point. Don't remember if it's GOTY or MCC that does it, though.

It was actually used in the All Main Quests speedrun for a while until the order of a few things changed and it wasn't needed any more.

Sky Shadowing
Feb 13, 2012

At least we're not the Thalmor (yet)
Every settlement in TES 3 is serviced by some form of fast travel/intervention spells except the Ashlander camps, Skaal Village, and for some reason Ald Velothi. Learning the networks and where intervention spells take you from where is your first step on the road to Morrowind Master.

The challenge is when you add TR to the mix because then intervention spells might take you to the mainland.

kazr
Jan 28, 2005

Guildenstern Mother posted:

The most useful skill in the game is your lowest? Blowing my mind.

I was 16

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
Once again i'm :airquote: getting serious :airquote: about finishing this thing & using this post to kinda keep a note for myself and ask for input. My mod allows you to move vanilla or other mod's containers around as if they were standard inventory objects.

I've been messing around with it twice a year for like 5 years or some poo poo, but I have a ~150 line mod + "packages.dds" that does the job, super small and easy to understand, but eh whatever, it'd immediately explode in size if I add anything more. Probably we're not in the age of needing to save every individual cpu instruction, but the less I do the more seamless it will be to the player. The gaping hole in it is that it doesn't work if you save/load. Once this is fixed and it doesn't look like rear end it can be uploaded.

Current behavior is that when you open an unowned non-organic container it pops up a little menu that lets you set a container's name and pack it up and put it into inventory as one unit. The menu looks like poo poo but works. You can then put the item back on the ground or put it inside another container if you want. All containers have a generic inventory icon that is a barrel and sack. You can open your inventory, grab 6 crates and 5 sacks or whatever, pop them around on the ground, rearrange them, and when you leave the inventory screen they become normal containers as if they were put there by the devs. Items inside containers are invisible to vendors and guards, but the containers are valued with their contents, so you can abuse this to sell skooma.
    I haven't checked the documentation in a while, but while I do that does anybody happen to know offhand what are some good simple mods that i can look at the script to figure out how they:
  • have a config page? Last time i checked how to do this i had p much no fuckin concept of what i was reading.
  • add ui elements such as an entire new window with buttons in it -- that doesn't look glitched up?
  • (uuuuuuuuh i don't even know how to phrase this part correctly but) serialize references to json? (I think i can just do this differently idk. I think i'm supposed to be using the ID and then using that to get the ref, haven't yet tested this method. This whole thing seems like mysticism to me.)
some of the things i want might not exist but I need to fix this piece of poo poo before i become an undead skeleton irl.

There may be a bug related to the lootbags that get generated if you drop 500 tons of garbage on the floor and the game decides to sweep it all up, haven't tested it beyond basics. I haven't even tested evidence chests. The way some mods let you place objects is more sophisticated, is like how fallout 4 let you put stuff, but i'm not aiming for that. I'm going for "It just works.™" It lets you move poo poo around as if it were a part of the original game.

Victory lap would be goals like:
  • i need to remember to make it so that if you try to equip or use the container as a potion w/e it actually opens the container and forcibly repacks it when you leave that inventory. I may have to rewrite some things to accomplish this.
  • maybe the sound that it makes when you place a container should be the sound that container makes when opened? Should be easy enough.
  • figuring out a sane way to valuate containers & assign weights to them.
    - Right now both are just 1/10th of how much crap can be fit into them. This means crates and sacks are the same thing other than aesthetics. Basically all containers are the same, and I'm not sure there's a good way to programmatically differentiate rusted garbage chests from fancy cool ones.
  • Maybe make it so that containers can't nest except in some certain ways. Right now you can put a crate inside a barrel inside a sack, which is sorta crazy. Not knowing what mod containers may have been installed complicates this.
  • Figuring out what the gently caress to do with burial urns. They float which iirc is part of how the urn itself was made? This makes them incompatible.
    - if i had a config page i could let the player decide if they want them excluded, offset, or to work as-is. Until then I'm prob going to leave them as-is and the player can decide to suck it up or ignore their weird behavior.
  • inserting items into vendor lists (obviously ashfall does this but i have no idea what i'm looking at)
  • implementing the cool stuff from mwse containers.
    - Ideally you could do poo poo like have pouches on your belt or something, altho this is prob pretty complex. Maybe there's a way to load your containers onto your guar handler guar? Cool but jumping the gun. Outta scope.
  • generating inventory icons from objects themselves, their meshes or w/e (im sure the art mod can do this or can be adapted to do this)
    - Doing this would let the user go into the config screen and pregen all the icons for every container in the game, or alternately it would generate custom icons when the player comes across a new container instead of using a generic icon.
  • making keys & locks work for chests.
    - Making it so that guards/vendors can see into unlocked containers you have as if it were your inventory. This would also allow the keyring from mwse containers to work seamlessly: if the game is duped into thinking everything you have in unlocked containers is in your inventory, then your keys will work even if they're on the ring.
    -- This seems kinda iffy, because the obvious solution would be to shunt every object into your real inventory just as the game wants to do these checks, which is clearly deranged.
    -- The next solution would be to keep a list of the unlocked containers that you have on your person, and then force these types of checks to also run against the inventories of those containers as if they were you. This maybe doesn't work because you can nest containers.
    -- At least I could try to make it so that if the container has any form of contraband in it then it also is contraband. Prob easiest solution, but doesn't enable keyrings. Gotta look up how to find this info with mwse.
  • figure out if there should be a way to heist out owned containers. Are vendor inventory containers considered organic? If so -- you know what gently caress it somebody else can do that.
I think if i want any of this done I'm going to have to find the construction kit and read whatever manual that explains how anything works.

Anyway what do you all think? Ignoring the victory lap crap would it be a good mod? Any advice or concepts?

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

thats a lot of words for a friday but graphical herbalism has a good config page that i stole code from

you can roll it into your base lua or do it as an import if youre a good programmer

i'm a fan of 3000 line towers of power

i dont know what you mean by serialize references to json, do you mean get the reference id or the object id? read the docs regarding that part, it does pretty well. an object is the base thing, a reference is the thing in-game. usually you should be editing the reference itself. if you are, the save function should be rolled into the game and you dont have to do anything.

you *can* store data on the player's object as well. saving to a file is largely unnecessary

mbt fucked around with this message at 17:57 on Jul 28, 2023

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
Yeah I gotta reread. Gotta find the most basic basics and start there.

I have it so that it creates an inventory object and then attaches the container reference to the inventory object's data so the container can be messed with later. This works fine unless you quit.

iirc the docs specifically say references can't be serialized & won't save in this way, & nothing that cannot be serialized can be persistently saved in any data in general (not even make good reference or whatever it's called), so I assume references have some kinda id which CAN be serialized, and then from there I can find the actual reference and make it work again.

Basically i need some trail that starts as a field in an item's data & leads back to the container reference so that I can set its location & orientation to match the inventory object when it is dropped. Otherwise they are lost to the void and aren't recoverable unless you enable it thru console.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

I steal all my scripts because attempting Morrowind scripting as a teen was what made me realise I should pivot away from computing science as a career. Now I'm a lawyer so that's at least the third example of how Morrowind ruined my life.

Finally getting serious about replaying this for game club and I think it's my first time really playing the game since my frontal lobe fully developed which means I have no idea where to start with a mod list lmao. It's tempting to stick to a "vanilla plus" setup but it's also tempting to find all my old favourites and make the game as ridiculous as it always used to be when I ran 200+ mods... I still don't care about levelled list conflicts so we won't be worrying about that.

Are there any particular town expansion mods that people recommend? I don't really know where to start on mod lists that aren't 10+ years out of date or compiled by deranged perverts.

Also I'm working my notice from home so I'm just going to be playing this while supposed to be working. Real regression hours

E: okay I see the OpenMW site has some good lists but even the vanilla expanded one includes the terrible Sobitur Facility so I will have to be selective lmao. Is there any particular reasons to follow the 12 steps per mod on this OpenMW page or can I just chuck stuff in data files and tick off like I've been doing for 20 years

Lunchmeat Larry fucked around with this message at 10:39 on Aug 1, 2023

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

oh, so there's a new openmw release.

if you want to use it and have mods, then yes that page shows the current method to do those things. it used to be worse.

looks like they fixed the attribute bonus from The Lady :krakentoot:

Rahu
Feb 14, 2009

let me just check my figures real quick here
Grimey Drawer
It also adds the best new option, sky blending, so big terrain and buildings in the distance doesn't suddenly appear when they pass the far clipping plane.

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

I steal all my scripts because attempting Morrowind scripting as a teen was what made me realise I should pivot away from computing science as a career. Now I'm a lawyer so that's at least the third example of how Morrowind ruined my life.

Finally getting serious about replaying this for game club and I think it's my first time really playing the game since my frontal lobe fully developed which means I have no idea where to start with a mod list lmao. It's tempting to stick to a "vanilla plus" setup but it's also tempting to find all my old favourites and make the game as ridiculous as it always used to be when I ran 200+ mods... I still don't care about levelled list conflicts so we won't be worrying about that.

Are there any particular town expansion mods that people recommend? I don't really know where to start on mod lists that aren't 10+ years out of date or compiled by deranged perverts.

Also I'm working my notice from home so I'm just going to be playing this while supposed to be working. Real regression hours

E: okay I see the OpenMW site has some good lists but even the vanilla expanded one includes the terrible Sobitur Facility so I will have to be selective lmao. Is there any particular reasons to follow the 12 steps per mod on this OpenMW page or can I just chuck stuff in data files and tick off like I've been doing for 20 years

Beautiful cities of morrowind is the big and good city overhaul compilation. If you use what I did as a base and read my instructions it isn't that hard to add new mods. You can chuck in data files though. The advantage is that none of your mods touch and you can easily add or remove stuff

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Beautiful Cities looks great, cheers. Just noticed MW Modding History has been down for months, hope that isn't lost forever, that'll be a loss of PES proportions if it wasn't backed up :(

hannibal
Jul 27, 2001

[img-planes]

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

The Mod Organizer plugin that page mentions is pretty useful if you want to use MO to manage your load order etc. I used it when I did my last big playthrough, worked great.

https://www.nexusmods.com/morrowind/mods/45642

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

Beautiful Cities looks great, cheers. Just noticed MW Modding History has been down for months, hope that isn't lost forever, that'll be a loss of PES proportions if it wasn't backed up :(

https://modlist.altervista.org/mmh/index.php

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

I've been using that but for quite a few mods it links to a dead archive.org page or the actual download on archive.org doesn't work. Nothing essential at least, so no big deal, but I'm surprised Fliggerty just disappeared. Hope he's doing alright, always one of the most reliable helpful people in a sea of, uh, colourful characters

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Larry Cum Free
Jun 3, 2022

move it or lose it dillweed
I was a vampire but I got better :madmax: