Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Tatsuta Age posted:

hows blade feel to play? he didn't seem that interesting from his trial (lots of "whoa things are happening" that it seems kinda difficult to plan what you actually want to happen)

even though I could use a wind toughness breaker, I'm sitting at 60 pity on the 50/50 and think I'm gonna wait it out

He feels awesome.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

Walla posted:

He's a skill point positive dps who can function as a sub dps or a main hyper carry. His ult either heals or damages him and his aoe self heals. He allows for a completely skill point negative Bronya since she can just use the sp he doesn't. Also something I didn't know until it was pointed out to me: He and Quinque, and I assume Imbibitor Lunae, have a mechanic similar to Seele's Resurgence. They can use their skill and get the benefit of Bronya's/Tingyun's ult before they use their enhanced attack. This extends the duration of those buffs for 3 turns rather than 2. Dude's not exactly broken but he's easily the second strongest dps in the game right now.

he's not actually positive, he doesn't generate skill points when using enhanced attacks so he's just very slightly negative (1 sp used per 4 turns)

Bad Video Games
Sep 17, 2017

gently caress yes! Sushang E6! :toot:

Futaba Anzu posted:

he's not actually positive, he doesn't generate skill points when using enhanced attacks so he's just very slightly negative (1 sp used per 4 turns)

My mistake. Still, 1 sp every 4 turns is basically free.

UHD
Nov 11, 2006

first major story update since launch and they're already adding bosses with three attacks per round

by the time fu xuan rolls around will they have four

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

That boss fight being a little rough is part of why I'm conflicted about going to EQ6. If I decide 5's too easy later I can always jump up, but if 6 ends up feeling too rough at some point, I'm stuck with it unless they add the ability to downshift like they did in Genshin.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

Tatsuta Age posted:

hows blade feel to play? he didn't seem that interesting from his trial (lots of "whoa things are happening" that it seems kinda difficult to plan what you actually want to happen)

even though I could use a wind toughness breaker, I'm sitting at 60 pity on the 50/50 and think I'm gonna wait it out

He's extremely powerful and extremely simple. You turn on Hellscape and you autoattack enemies and they explode. The counter happens automatically, and the ult only has the barest minimum bit of management that you can theoretically sit on for maximum damage but it doesn't really matter.

Of course, this also leads into a general meta commentary of how "interesting" any given Star Rail character can be - you can have Yu Gi Oh card text for all of your abilities but fundamentally everyone is very simple to actually play.

Pain of Mind
Jul 10, 2004
You are receiving this broadcast as a dream...We are transmitting from the year one nine... nine nine ...You are receiving this broadcast in order t
Eagerly awaiting getting to EL6 so I can finally farm for relics without a voice in the back of my head saying it is suboptimal to do it now. I think my only person with decent relics is fireMC.

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

Miles Vorkosigan posted:

I haven't played the patch yet since I'm working, but I did get some boba:

is it good, how bad were the crowds, and how many digital items did you get

Bad Video Games
Sep 17, 2017

Sushang gains +43 speed from her E6 talent. :aaaaa:

I can invest in attack boots for her now.

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.
it wasn't bad but they sure blew their hype boss load on cordelia/wildfire huh

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

There will probably be another boss further along that will serve as the actual Xianzhou finale that will get all the hype treatment like the Cocolia music drop.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

I kind of just thought it may have been tied to how stoned I was while doing the new main story last night, but no it really is that crazy. Dan is seriously actually a loving godlike magical elf dragon? lmao.

I never got spoiled on main plot so that AND the evil shaft head tilt Tingyun also caught me by surprise. when did they switch Ting out with the spy?! what the gently caress lol.

Back to back! This game is epic.

someone awful.
Sep 7, 2007

my resolve is so weak, i was like "hmm none of the upcoming characters really feel like i need to pull for them, my teams are fine" but after playing around with both of them, i really want to add Blade and Hotter Dan Heng to the collection :negative:

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Luckily, I *did* save your old avatar. Fucked around and found out indeed.
that's marketing baybeeeee

Dracula Factory
Sep 7, 2007

I got Blade at 80 pity which puts me in the bottom 15% of luck but I did get the 50/50 so I really can't complain.

How foolish is it to pull on the light cone banner? I have about 40 pity on it now from before I had a good sense of what to pull on, and I think just going up to my first 5 star on it might be worth it. I really want a good cone for Blade but I don't have any adequate ones yet.

I'm spending money on the battle pass and the express pass, so it seems like I'll be able to get Kafka without much trouble. I don't normally gamble in any sense but this game has me in it's claws now.

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Luckily, I *did* save your old avatar. Fucked around and found out indeed.
If you want Kafka and don't think you'll have ~150 pulls saved by the time she drops, don't pull light cone.

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

Meowywitch posted:

I kind of just thought it may have been tied to how stoned I was while doing the new main story last night, but no it really is that crazy. Dan is seriously actually a loving godlike magical elf dragon? lmao.

I never got spoiled on main plot so that AND the evil shaft head tilt Tingyun also caught me by surprise. when did they switch Ting out with the spy?! what the gently caress lol.

Before the Express even got there, I'm pretty sure. We've never actually interacted with the real Tingyun, just Phantylia pretending to be her. Whether they actually introduce Tingyun as a character or she's just dead now remains to be seen.

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Ibblebibble posted:

There will probably be another boss further along that will serve as the actual Xianzhou finale that will get all the hype treatment like the Cocolia music drop.

nah that had dramatic final boss energy for sure

they'll tidy up the loose end bits after feeling out feedback on how to finish certain characters before breadcrumbing the next zone for the next big update five months from now

UHD
Nov 11, 2006

Ibblebibble posted:

on the other hand that's two abrupt story cutoffs in the same planet and also what is left to hype up now

Meowywitch posted:

i didn't get spoiled on any of it either but i dunno.

spoilers for the new stuff i guess we, or at least i, haven't known dan heng long enough for his big reveal as Super Dragon Man to feel meaningful or important. that and the tingyun heel turn felt completely out of left field and without any sort of buildup it lost any punch it could have had. i spent like an hour watching npcs be rad and honestly i was bored for virtually all of it. maybe it would have worked better if it was one contiguous chain instead of separating the two halves by three months but i doubt it.

i don't think it helped that the MC was basically a spectator for the whole thing. they're the player surrogate and they did jack poo poo, and by extension i didn't feel like i did anything. it was all jing yuan and super dan heng solving the problem in an extended interactive cutscene. i'm about 80% convinced that boss fight was impossible to fail in story mode.

Bussamove posted:

Before the Express even got there, I'm pretty sure. We've never actually interacted with the real Tingyun, just Phantylia pretending to be her. Whether they actually introduce Tingyun as a character or she's just dead now remains to be seen.

i imagine future texts from her, assuming you didn't get all of them yet, are gonna feel real awkward

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

UHD posted:

on the other hand that's two abrupt story cutoffs in the same planet and also what is left to hype up now

idk prob whatever jingliu and or luocha are up to

UHD posted:

he tingyun heel turn felt completely out of left field and without any sort of buildup it lost any punch it could have had. .

tbh there was buildup, she was acting hella sus towards the end of 1.0-1.1 content, it's just the big break in between evaporated it

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.

Gamerofthegame posted:

nah that had dramatic final boss energy for sure

they'll tidy up the loose end bits after feeling out feedback on how to finish certain characters before breadcrumbing the next zone for the next big update five months from now

I won't believe the story is wrapped up until we class change.

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

did the crew even actually directly address the stellaron itself yet

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

Futaba Anzu posted:

tbh there was buildup, she was acting hella sus towards the end of 1.0-1.1 content, it's just the big break in between evaporated it

A lot of the buildup for Tingyun in this patch was stuff you got from completely optional missable dialogue by interacting with her in various story scenes where you can talk to side characters, I think. She has a lot of "wow, isn't abundance actually cool, i imagine not dying would be pretty great" lines which are extremely sus for a luofu person to say. But you could miss all of that if you don't go out of your way to talk to everyone during the times you can.

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

Mulva posted:

this, there's no way we leave the Luofu without one

but I believe the endgame will also involve the IPC and lead us to the next destination

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

the build up felt like it was going to be a neat hunt/abundance schism within luofu which would entirely be in character and actually involve people Who Mattered, which I kind of think might have been the initial plan before the question of multiple states made them veer into "oh hey here's the real final boss already go fight her and shoo her away ten minutes later"

I guess there's still a potential third magical girl transformation but the stellaron got handwaved through and taken care of the first time, too.

technically the only time it was taken care of on screen substantially when it was, uh, you

Revitalized
Sep 13, 2007

A free custom title is a free custom title

Lipstick Apathy

Futaba Anzu posted:

is it good, how bad were the crowds, and how many digital items did you get

I got both drinks.

Big rear end crowd at 11am when the Sunright opened... but this promotion runs until august 31st so I doubt there's gonna be crowds later. Plus they churn these drinks out pretty fast.

You get some thin cardboard coasters, thin cardboard cup holders, and some stickers with chibi characters (m7th, dan, and stellaron hunters) on them. You also get 15 stellar jades per drink (max redemption is 5 codes)

The blueberry kafka drink is like a blueberry smoothie with tea jelly at the bottom. It's hella good imo, but I'd ask to lower the sweetness when ordering. It reminds me of the berry smoothies that costco used to carry. There's cheese foam on it but I've never really been one to taste the cheese foam. Kinda gets lost in there. Anyways, drink is delicious if you like blueberry. I'll probably go back for another before this promotion ends.

The chocolate matcha blade drink is like... it's chocolate milk. It's literally milk + chocolate + matcha. So it's chocolate milk with a grainy texture from the matcha. Fancy chocolate milk. Nothing wrong with it, just don't assume you're getting something unique. fwiw, the chocolate flavor was pretty rich.

Also to be exact, each redemption code is 15 stellar jade + 2 in-game boba drink consumables (Immortal's Delight) + 5k credits.
Each drink is $6.75 at mine.

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

i loving love blue drink, thanks for the review gonna try it out soon

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

LMAO at Lynx kit being apparently a healer that buffs the aggro on destruction and preservation characters that she uses her skill on. And Fu Xuan's kit is better than initially thought so it looks like she's going to be solid for characters that want to get hit but dont want aggro taken away from them. And Luocha is great for counter attack based characters. Clara just keeps getting support

blizzardvizard
Sep 12, 2012

Shhh... don't wake up the sleeping lion :3:

Kanos posted:

I'm here too. Dan Heng's big backstory is that he's an exile because of something his previous incarnation did that he was not personally involved in in any way, the potential issue of him being an outlaw is almost immediately put to the side by Jing Yuan going "no it's cool as long as you work with us here", and he just immediately remembers how to do everything he needs to do - which, as you say, is open a door. The big boss fight is all about Jing Yuan, who gets top billing, while Danny boy's role is to be a button.

I guess Blade was here solely to stab Dan Heng in the chest and force him to stop hiding his identity?

I also kinda feel this, but I'm willing to give it the benefit of the doubt since it's also possible that the amount of contrivance needed to bring Dan Heng to the Luofu at this exact moment to do this one (relatively) simple thing is exactly the point of this arc, so as to highlight Elio's power to "read the script". So this was never meant to be "Dan Heng's story", and more to show how Dan Heng's existence as some super important high elder is ultimately just a chess piece in the hands of the bigger players.

That's just my reading though. And I definitely understand feeling a bit underwhelmed.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.

Mulva posted:

TBH I feel like Dan Heng stole our class change for the arc. Which I'm fine with, conceptually if not in execution.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Clarste posted:

TBH I feel like Dan Heng stole our class change for the arc. Which I'm fine with, conceptually if not in execution.

If they gave us Dan But Hotter for free then I would accept this but they won't so eh.

UHD
Nov 11, 2006

Futaba Anzu posted:

idk prob whatever jingliu and or luocha are up to

jingliu was in one side quest and luocha has done almost nothing the entire time besides heal people and be ambiguously sus. i won't be surprised if neither of them do anything of note for the rest of space china but do show up in future planets or revisits to xianzhou. or do nothing else at all really, i'm okay with characters having their own agenda independent of whatever the trailblazers are doing.

Ibblebibble posted:

If they gave us Dan But Hotter for free then I would accept this but they won't so eh.

a class change for the low low price of :retrogames:

blizzardvizard
Sep 12, 2012

I wonder if they'll allow you to use both Dans in the same team

It would be kinda nice if both Dans share levels like the different MC forms since I've got him built already, but that probably would be too good.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Entirely separate character is the simplest and most likely.

Tree Reformat
Apr 2, 2022

by Fluffdaddy
I can confirm I died like four or five times to the boss in story mode before finding a party comp I could squeak by with. EL4, even.

Dracula Factory posted:

I got Blade at 80 pity which puts me in the bottom 15% of luck but I did get the 50/50 so I really can't complain.

How foolish is it to pull on the light cone banner? I have about 40 pity on it now from before I had a good sense of what to pull on, and I think just going up to my first 5 star on it might be worth it. I really want a good cone for Blade but I don't have any adequate ones yet.

I'm spending money on the battle pass and the express pass, so it seems like I'll be able to get Kafka without much trouble. I don't normally gamble in any sense but this game has me in it's claws now.

My view is every pull you make on weapon/light cone banner is a pull you don't get to use on character banner later.

I've never pulled weapon/LC, and I never will.

sandorius
Nov 13, 2013
Re: buildup There was the bit in Yanqing's quest when he says to Jingliu"what kind of idiot trusts a stranger they meet in the shipping zone?", and also the various internet memes about Tingyun having abnormally high aggro. It would be amazing if the devs really did set her aggro to that of a Destruction character.

someone awful.
Sep 7, 2007

i spent a bunch of pulls on Luocha's weapon banner hoping to at least get dance! dance! dance! off of it, since i was sure i didn't want blade or hotter dan heng at the time. i lost the 75/25 though ajkaghuiwehiuglh

but i can't complain too much because i got Clara's LC which I desperately needed. and i did get dance! dance! dance eventually (after it gave me 5x genius' repose and nearly as much of the other one, because i am doomed to have the worst gacha luck)

ExtrudeAlongCurve
Oct 21, 2010

Lambert is my Homeboy

Eimi posted:

My one big pain point thus far is that we didn't get a kick rear end new song. it kind of signposts that there's still more important story to come. Also like technically Luocha showed up but he didn't do anything. Lame.

What?

Link in spoiler text to the extremely banger song that came with this patch
https://youtu.be/UYe_vYD0MDM

blizzardvizard
Sep 12, 2012

I'm coming around to the idea of pulling LCs but I'd definitely be very selective about it. Getting extra Energy Regen from an LC to give you a faster Ult rotation for example could be worth it.

Blade's LC doesn't seem like a particularly good investment though since it's tailor-made to him specifically; I think ideally if you're spending pulls on 5* LCs you want to be able to use them effectively between multiple characters of the same class (like Seele's LC for example).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

ExtrudeAlongCurve posted:

What?

Link in spoiler text to the extremely banger song that came with this patch
https://youtu.be/UYe_vYD0MDM

The song's fine but there's no good hype moment to make it memorable.