Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: skooma512)

FUCK COREY PERRY
Apr 19, 2008

Zodium posted:

crab-spam

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

parasyte
Aug 13, 2003

Nobody wants to die except the suicides. They're no fun.

Vox Nihili posted:

Oh yeah the original genesis of the APE preferred stock was that the AMC board and executives wanted to issue more common stock since the online idiots were still buying as much as they could so why not take advantage of endless free money, but the existing common stock shareholders kept voting it down because obviously it would devalue their own shares through dilution. So the AMC insiders perpetuated an obvious fraud against their own shareholders by inventing a brand new type of preferred stock that didn't require common shareholder approval which would eventually convert into common stock at a 10:1 ratio at some point in the future.

Now they're trying to make the conversation happen and the only thing standing in their way is the mythical Delaware Chancery Court for the Rich and Powerful.

the other side of this is that it's not that common stock shareholders voted it down, but that they largely didn't vote at all. to issue more stock they need a majority of the existing stock to vote yes (>50% mandated by delaware law), and retail traders simply do not vote. which is a bit of a problem when the retail traders make up a significant portion of the outstanding stock. so they're doing poo poo like this to try to get around that, in addition to any no votes.

they did their one weird trick and had a vote on conversion and obviously all the APEs voted yes (actually only 91% yes) because they're controlled by one company that was mandated to vote yes unless the holder of the APE wanted to vote no, and of the actual AMC stockholders 25% voted yes and 9% voted no. the other 66% simply did not vote.

amc tried to settle with the stockholders by giving them 1.13 shares of amc for each share they owned prior to conversion but now the court said no so lol

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

all my APEs gone (?)

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

Sometimes I struggle with the concept of pain existing at all. What kind of designer would create a universe that contains the intensity of pain humans can experience? Even scarier is what does it mean that a random universe, existing without a designer, could produce pain?

But then I see some poo poo like this, and I'm like oh yeah, just normal humans would make a deliberately brain damaged AI and torture it with every tweet ever written, so actually that's a stupid question.

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

parasyte posted:

the other side of this is that it's not that common stock shareholders voted it down, but that they largely didn't vote at all. to issue more stock they need a majority of the existing stock to vote yes (>50% mandated by delaware law), and retail traders simply do not vote. which is a bit of a problem when the retail traders make up a significant portion of the outstanding stock. so they're doing poo poo like this to try to get around that, in addition to any no votes.

they did their one weird trick and had a vote on conversion and obviously all the APEs voted yes (actually only 91% yes) because they're controlled by one company that was mandated to vote yes unless the holder of the APE wanted to vote no, and of the actual AMC stockholders 25% voted yes and 9% voted no. the other 66% simply did not vote.

amc tried to settle with the stockholders by giving them 1.13 shares of amc for each share they owned prior to conversion but now the court said no so lol

I'm going to need a 2 hour long Dan Olson video with infographics to be able to understand this sorry.

parasyte
Aug 13, 2003

Nobody wants to die except the suicides. They're no fun.
best i can do is a matt levine newsletter https://archive.is/xUIV8#60%

FUCK COREY PERRY
Apr 19, 2008

SlimGoodbody posted:

https://www.nasdaq.com/articles/elon-musk-says-xai-will-use-public-tweets-for-ai-model-training

It is March 2035. Another year with unpredictable freak occurrence super-weather, meaning that yesterday's hottest day in history has been followed by its coldest. You pee on the handle of your Tesla Cybertruck to melt the sheet of ice that prevents the thumbprint reader from allowing you access to your vehicle. Sitting in the confoundingly uncomfortable cab, you look at your phone and compare the exchange rates between Dogecoin, Pedobux, and the Kekistani Pinar, which Florida switched to in hopes of enticing Elon to rebuild a gigafactory after the previous one was sucked into a sinkhole.

You decide to liquidate 17.83% of your stake in the 1/600th of the NFT of Pantone #7A490B that you keep in your retirement portfolio to pay the Twitter app fee that starts your Cybertruck. It stings, as the royalties you received whenever anyone used that color was a big part of your rent on the 3/4 size SleepCoffin you can afford to rest in for 5 hours a night. After waiting a couple hours for the transfer and paying the costly conversion fee, you put the change into a long position on 62 pixels of a new Wendy's x McKinley Consulting Group collab NFT - "Civil Rights Leaders As Wendy's Famous Square Burgers". Only the brownish and yellowish pixels, though; the more attractive red and blue pixels are too expensive. Hopefully it does well and the returns can make up for the loss of your Pantone.

After an over-the-air update to the Tesla firmware stalls and fails, you manage to get it finished with a few reboots. You are several hours late to your shift at the Meta moderation sweatshop where you look at horrifying pictures of graphic violence and sexual exploitation to decide which look real (and thus illegal) and which ones were Al generated, and thus okay to stay posted in the Teletubbies Nostalgia group. It pays slightly worse than your second job as a training dummy for genetically engineered police dogs, but the only physically painful part is the harness that keeps you from blinking inside the Oculus Quest you have to wear to work in the digital real estate of the Metaverse Cyberoffice that exists at the same location.

The Cybertruck begins driving you to your shift - one of the half dozen locations you've leased vehicular travel privileges to with Twitter Brown - but you have to hit the emergency brake when its sensors detect a child on the sidewalk and it swerves to strike her at lethal speed. This confuses and angers the proprietary Tesla driving Al, which attempts to verbally respond, but its Twitter language model and Brand Suggestion language model begin fighting as its electronic mind schisms.

The last 13 seconds of your life is a cacophonous mixture of your car saying the n-word to you over and over at maximum volume while also trying to upsell you on a new payment plan for your clothing mortgage. The truck accelerates to maximum speed and bumps the curb with its tire, which naturally causes the vehicle to become instantly consumed by an inescapable, white hot chemical fire. You smile serenely. Yes, the coworkers who have been assigned as your next of kin by Meta will be responsible for the time left on your indenture, but at least it will no longer be your problem.

You are free.

DickParasite
Dec 2, 2004

Slippery Tilde

SlimGoodbody posted:

https://www.nasdaq.com/articles/elon-musk-says-xai-will-use-public-tweets-for-ai-model-training

It is March 2035. Another year with unpredictable freak occurrence super-weather, meaning that yesterday's hottest day in history has been followed by its coldest. You pee on the handle of your Tesla Cybertruck to melt the sheet of ice that prevents the thumbprint reader from allowing you access to your vehicle. Sitting in the confoundingly uncomfortable cab, you look at your phone and compare the exchange rates between Dogecoin, Pedobux, and the Kekistani Pinar, which Florida switched to in hopes of enticing Elon to rebuild a gigafactory after the previous one was sucked into a sinkhole.

You decide to liquidate 17.83% of your stake in the 1/600th of the NFT of Pantone #7A490B that you keep in your retirement portfolio to pay the Twitter app fee that starts your Cybertruck. It stings, as the royalties you received whenever anyone used that color was a big part of your rent on the 3/4 size SleepCoffin you can afford to rest in for 5 hours a night. After waiting a couple hours for the transfer and paying the costly conversion fee, you put the change into a long position on 62 pixels of a new Wendy's x McKinley Consulting Group collab NFT - "Civil Rights Leaders As Wendy's Famous Square Burgers". Only the brownish and yellowish pixels, though; the more attractive red and blue pixels are too expensive. Hopefully it does well and the returns can make up for the loss of your Pantone.

After an over-the-air update to the Tesla firmware stalls and fails, you manage to get it finished with a few reboots. You are several hours late to your shift at the Meta moderation sweatshop where you look at horrifying pictures of graphic violence and sexual exploitation to decide which look real (and thus illegal) and which ones were Al generated, and thus okay to stay posted in the Teletubbies Nostalgia group. It pays slightly worse than your second job as a training dummy for genetically engineered police dogs, but the only physically painful part is the harness that keeps you from blinking inside the Oculus Quest you have to wear to work in the digital real estate of the Metaverse Cyberoffice that exists at the same location.

The Cybertruck begins driving you to your shift - one of the half dozen locations you've leased vehicular travel privileges to with Twitter Brown - but you have to hit the emergency brake when its sensors detect a child on the sidewalk and it swerves to strike her at lethal speed. This confuses and angers the proprietary Tesla driving Al, which attempts to verbally respond, but its Twitter language model and Brand Suggestion language model begin fighting as its electronic mind schisms.

The last 13 seconds of your life is a cacophonous mixture of your car saying the n-word to you over and over at maximum volume while also trying to upsell you on a new payment plan for your clothing mortgage. The truck accelerates to maximum speed and bumps the curb with its tire, which naturally causes the vehicle to become instantly consumed by an inescapable, white hot chemical fire. You smile serenely. Yes, the coworkers who have been assigned as your next of kin by Meta will be responsible for the time left on your indenture, but at least it will no longer be your problem.

You are free.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

In Training posted:

all my APEs gone (?)

All my APEs trapped in purgatory

ram dass in hell
Dec 29, 2019

:420::toot::420:

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

Nonsense posted:

A federal appeals court on Friday said it will reconsider its recent decision that Tesla (TSLA.O) Chief Executive Elon Musk violated federal labor law by tweeting that employees would lose stock options if they joined a union.

The 5th U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals in New Orleans granted Tesla's request to revisit the case "en banc," meaning that its 16 active judges will take part.

A three-judge panel of the same court had in March upheld a National Labor Relations Board ruling that Musk's May 20, 2018 tweet was an unlawful threat that could discourage unionization at his electric car company, and must be deleted.

Musk issued the tweet as the United Auto Workers sought to organize employees at Tesla's plant in Fremont, California.

"Nothing stopping Tesla team at our car plant from voting union. Could do so tmrw if they wanted," he wrote. "But why pay union dues & give up stock options for nothing?"

The appeals court panel found "substantial evidence" that the tweet was "an implied threat to end stock options as retaliation for unionization."

In seeking reconsideration, Tesla cited free speech concerns, and said the NLRB ignored that no employees claimed that Musk was threatening them, that Musk did not intend to threaten anyone, and that Musk later clarified his tweet was not a threat.

The NLRB did not immediately respond to requests for comment. Tesla and its lawyers did not immediately respond to similar requests.

A decision is unlikely before 2024.

Someone's seeking consideration all right. :homebrew:

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Nothus posted:

Is this actually true, or is it spin to cover the fact that the Nomenklatura sold everyone out on the promise of joining the global cybernetic capitalist elite

That I genuinely do not know

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

https://twitter.com/unusual_whales/status/1682377636385808386?s=20

BornAPoorBlkChild
Sep 24, 2012
:lol: why even have a Supreme Court at this point
https://twitter.com/NBCNews/status/1682382560024723457?t=bV6v1K_EG7G0tffdqAqCNA&s=19

Popoto
Oct 21, 2012

miaow

this is very problematic …

can we rename “high cost rentals” to something else? like “well-off rentals”?

anonumos
Jul 14, 2005

Fuck it.

Popoto posted:

this is very problematic …

can we rename “high cost rentals” to something else? like “well-off rentals”?

Overpriced Airbnbs.

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice
the only reason to build buildings that people could feasibly live in is so rich people have something to buy. letting people live in these places will just make them gross, ew.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

Stereotype posted:

the only reason to build buildings that people could feasibly live in is so rich people have something to buy. letting people live in these places will just make them gross, ew.

Has to stay in mint condition, it's a collectible!

a strange fowl
Oct 27, 2022

KirbyKhan posted:

I feel like the last upwardly mobile himbo left. Irl my cohort of gently caress boi otters and gold digging hoes got permabanned or divorced.

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

In Training posted:

all my APEs gone (?)

converted into AMC at a hypothetical valuation of insane if it actually happens

a strange fowl
Oct 27, 2022

In Training posted:

I like that you said retard once and then self censored the 2nd time. Nice technique

a strange fowl
Oct 27, 2022

Vox Nihili posted:

The man has never been correct
jim cramer is one of my favourite minor villains because as i understand it he is always wrong but to the level where he effectively functions as a prophet, just in the opposite direction

Backcountry
Jan 16, 2009
Earlier this year I joking that I was going to spend my life savings on Carnival Cruise Line calls. Now I'm kicking myself for not actually doing it

Rectal Death Adept
Jun 20, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
https://twitter.com/FreightWaves/status/1682501104670572544?s=20

Looks like 20,000 drivers will be on strike/out of work Monday.

https://twitter.com/i/status/1682519068518088705

Rectal Death Adept has issued a correction as of 00:42 on Jul 22, 2023

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

https://twitter.com/Reuters/status/1682533413041872897?s=20

:allears: Sure Jan

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things
lol everyone I know who's has flight problems recently would disagree

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

Beached Whale posted:

Real awesome society we've got where we've convinced millions of upper middle class failures to leverage themselves up to the hilt to enable a parasitic system of rent seeking on the poor who will have no chance to own anything of their own

https://twitter.com/KateMcClarnon83/status/1682160249438973952
according to michael hudson, american real estate is pledging the rents to the banks and hoping they can make up for it with a windfall from selling the increase in property valuation, presumably to someone else repeating this cycle

Horseshoe theory
Mar 7, 2005

silicone thrills posted:

lol everyone I know who's has flight problems recently would disagree

A politician lying about the quality of 'work' they're putting forward?! :eyepop:

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things

Horseshoe theory posted:

A politician lying about the quality of 'work' they're putting forward?! :eyepop:

say it aint sooooOOOoOOO

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

Do you want your breadcrumbs highlighted?

~SMcD

comedyblissoption posted:

according to michael hudson, american real estate is pledging the rents to the banks and hoping they can make up for it with a windfall from selling the increase in property valuation, presumably to someone else repeating this cycle

There will always be a More Premium Consumer Than Me to subsidize my lifestyle.

SlimGoodbody
Oct 20, 2003

comedyblissoption posted:

Oh, great, just like Bored Apes! Now to take a big sip of coffee and check how those are doing.

The premium consumer remains healthy

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

Horseshoe theory posted:

SBF admitted to others that he was bullshitting completely about the 'Effective Altruism' veneer, as well, so it's not like he was even doing the bullshit skimming, or intended to.

yeah none of the people who are proponents of ea actually mean it, they've just found a grift that allows them to bypass some people's bullshit detectors

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

Do you want your breadcrumbs highlighted?

~SMcD

Relevant Tangent posted:

yeah none of the people who are proponents of ea actually mean it, they've just found a grift that allows them to bypass some people's bullshit detectors

You'd be surprised what some folks can delude themselves into believing.

Consolidated Ed
Mar 4, 2005
Lineman for Justice

Father Wendigo posted:

https://twitter.com/InternetHippo/status/1682407784439230465?t=PbU7gkMIomqQMZbSnmz65A&s=19

It's almost like the internet makes you stupid. :thunk:

Also, a little something from the FTX fallout (:rimshot:) :

these freaks arent human, they should be destroyed

Consolidated Ed
Mar 4, 2005
Lineman for Justice

Marenghi posted:

There's a lesson in the communist citizens wanting to throw away their system for little treats the west enjoyed thanks to imperialism. They built a cotton empire on the backs of slavery and couped south america for american banana companies.

I think there's a streak of national chauvinism of workers in the imperial sphere, who know they may be poorer than the bourgeoisie but they benefit from treats that are only available through the imperialist exploitation of the global south. There's probably a bit of connection as to why racial discrimination against the global south is rife in those ex-commie countries like the Ukraine.

i enjoyed this

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

feds need to bail out the pension

that’s a war crime god drat

Horseshoe theory
Mar 7, 2005

euphronius posted:

feds need to bail out the pension

that’s a war crime god drat

It's not covered by the Pension Benefit Guaranty Corporation? :thunk:

Consolidated Ed
Mar 4, 2005
Lineman for Justice

Frosted Flake posted:

There was a book on eastern bloc agriculture I have somewhere around here that shows that they were able to grow tea, even kiwis and bananas in parts of the USSR, I think Central Asia, but the Soviets were looking to develop more-or-less equally and so, to their credit, didn't want internal bananas republics. That was a really incredible choice and I wish I could find the book because the politics behind it, it's fascinating. Treating the people of you know, the southern end of the middle of nowhere as workers who deserve development, and so proper development, industrialization, instead of maximizing the output of agricultural commodities that are in demand, that's pretty striking.

This is dope, whats the book plz

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Horseshoe theory posted:

It's not covered by the Pension Benefit Guaranty Corporation? :thunk:

maybe

I assume also the bankruptcy judge will put some money into the fund

idk though. I would be near homicidal if some capitalist took away my 30 year pension

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SlimGoodbody
Oct 20, 2003

Consolidated Ed posted:

these freaks arent human, they should be destroyed

As with the Oceangate dipshit who imploded himself, they all need their wealth confiscated for their own good, psychically and physically. It allows them to become far more stupid, cruel, evil, and foolhardy than any human being could ever plausibly be without the world-distorting gravity field of ultra wealth providing them with momentum and armor.