Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: skooma512)

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

We can't even maintain the train infrastructure we already have

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nothus
Feb 22, 2001

Buglord

croup coughfield posted:

so if im understanding this correctly, the way to lower prices is to destroy the wealth of the middle and upper middle class

That's the plan, yes

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

There's going to be a lot of "middle class" wealth being destroyed and I don't think it's going to help you except that some may join us down here at the bottom screaming for their fair share.

Nodelphi
Jan 30, 2004

We are all quite capable of believing in anything as long as it's improbable.

Ham Wrangler

Cpt_Obvious posted:

There's going to be a lot of "middle class" wealth being destroyed and I don't think it's going to help you except that some may join us down here at the bottom screaming for their fair share.

They prefer to be referred to as temporarily embarrassed billionaires.

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

Frosted Flake posted:

I just came across this in a book explaining why liberals are unable to write the history of Greece and Rome:

“The third assumption undermining this historiography is that ‘trade’ needs to be understood in terms of the modern ideal – driven solely by the profit motive and market forces, unfettered by social or political constraints, encompassing every aspect of material existence – rather than any historical or contemporary reality. This leads both modernisers and primitivists to build arguments around some allegedly clear distinctions, the implications of which are unexamined and taken for granted:

Public and private, luxury and staple, self-sufficiency and economic rationality. For example, as will be discussed in more detail in chapter 3, it is simply assumed that only trade in staple goods had real economic significance; luxury trade is regarded as intrinsically superfluous and trivial, despite the importance of non-essential items such as spices, tea and sugar in the development of trade in the early modern period.

Not buying that even the libbest lib who ever libbed would try to explain the silk road on the assumption that luxury goods were trivial and.

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

genericnick posted:

Not buying that even the libbest lib who ever libbed would try to explain the silk road on the assumption that luxury goods were trivial and.

It's more rational to ship grain around the Aegean, therefore that's how shipping should have been allocated.

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

Cpt_Obvious posted:

don't need as many imperial bureaucrats when you lose control of the periphery

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

Zodium posted:

don't need as many imperial bureaucrats when you lose control of the periphery

been sayin that

the premium consumer is the new body in the blood machine

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT

Bar Ran Dun posted:

a person to blame has been removed.

This feels like everything now.

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

Animal-Mother posted:

bah gawd that's zodium's music

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

posting this for the "wages must die" video clip not the Twitter commentary

https://twitter.com/meadwaj/status/1684293854277652483

lmao @ how openly evil the Bank of England guy is

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

Animal-Mother posted:

everything that can be, yes exactly. The other thing happening is all markets are worldwide now, even things like very very rural farm auctions are optimized with international sales and are like 2/3 online.

all opportunities are being removed by technology that increases returns.

Bar Ran Dun has issued a correction as of 22:10 on Jul 26, 2023

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

Koirhor posted:

nfl sunday ticket on youtube tv for only $439 wowowow

And if you log in within 100 miles of a team you can't watch that team because you're supposed to spend at least that much on one ticket to physically go to the game.

Nothus
Feb 22, 2001

Buglord

sleep with the vicious posted:

Let's double down on insane articles tonight

https://www.businessinsider.com/marc-andreessen-teaching-son-chatgpt-ai-2023-7

Billionaire Marc Andreessen says he's teaching his 8-year-old son ChatGPT: 'This is like the most important thing I've done as a father'

"I set a time aside and I sit him down on the couch and I was like, 'Okay, there's this amazing thing that I'm going to give you.'" the Andreessen Horowitz cofounder told Joe Rogan of the first time he introduced his son to ChatGPT. "This is like the most important thing I've done as a father that I've like brought fire down from the mountains and I'm gonna give you AI and you're gonna have AI your whole life to be with you and teach you things."

Andreessen said he was astonished when his son seemed unfazed by the technology.

"It's a computer. Of course you ask it questions and it gives you answers. What else is it for?" Andreessen said his son told him.

Debasing himself in the press to keep the AI hype going. :sad:

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Koirhor posted:

nfl sunday ticket on youtube tv for only $439 wowowow

is that at least every single game/ no blackouts ?

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

euphronius posted:

Search your heart

Poppers
Jan 21, 2023

Only $7000 to watch all the concussionball my body can handle in select markets with advertisements? My fliggin dollar????

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

NFL Sunday Ticket includes Sunday afternoon NFL games that aren’t available on your local area broadcasts during the NFL regular season. So if you’re a Dallas Cowboys fan currently in Miami, you can watch all of the Sunday Cowboys games that aren’t shown on NBC, CBS, or FOX in your local market

:goofy:

Koirhor
Jan 14, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
its ok I will stick to illegal streams of Redzone, the only sane way to watch football

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

CAUTION: POST QUALITY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

euphronius posted:

Maybe you should have pre-paid early for the $100 discount like a true fan!

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

Vox Nihili posted:

25 BP rate hike today, as foretold. The Fed statement has a couple tweaks--apparently the economy is now expanding at a "moderate" pace.

10% interest rates by christmas

Nothus
Feb 22, 2001

Buglord

Shear Modulus posted:

does theranos 2 also have a blonde woman affecting her voice three octaves lower

I'm at AACC and stopped by their booth. It's pretty low key as these things go, though they are pitching themselves as a plucky startup rather than a Silicon Valley darling.

From what I could gather from their presentation, they took Theranos idea of a microfluidics based, automated blood test and scaled up just enough to be physically possible. As in Theranos was famously wed to the idea of using just a drop of blood. This machine uses about 600ml.

Maybe it works, maybe it doesn't. They're just showing internal data right now

ben shapino
Nov 22, 2020

Nice they raised my credit limit on my visa card. Everything's be ok

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Nothus posted:

I'm at AACC and stopped by their booth. It's pretty low key as these things go, though they are pitching themselves as a plucky startup rather than a Silicon Valley darling.

From what I could gather from their presentation, they took Theranos idea of a microfluidics based, automated blood test and scaled up just enough to be physically possible. As in Theranos was famously wed to the idea of using just a drop of blood. This machine uses about 600ml.

10% of the blood in a human body sounds wrong

Nothus
Feb 22, 2001

Buglord
Oops I meant microliters

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

got it, so 0.6 ml. that sounds very ambitious, i hope they have at least two former generals on their board

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

ben shapino posted:

Nice they raised my credit limit on my visa card. Everything's be ok

Love how every other process in these companies takes 3 months, but the interest rate goes up 15 minutes after the prime rate.

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

Vox Nihili posted:

got it, so 0.6 ml. that sounds very ambitious, i hope they have at least two former generals on their board

But if anyone wants to shove a few billions my way for a machine that does all the tests you could ever want by completely draining only one (1) human, I think that would be manageable.

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

Vox Nihili posted:

posting this for the "wages must die" video clip not the Twitter commentary

https://twitter.com/meadwaj/status/1684293854277652483

lmao @ how openly evil the Bank of England guy is

he was instrumental in knocking out both the former chancellor and then prime minster liz truss

the City of London rules supreme

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

Good Soldier Svejk posted:

We can't even maintain the train infrastructure we already have

we can but we choose not to

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

euphronius posted:

lol

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

ArmZ posted:

we can but we choose not to

it's cool that capitalism makes many seemingly normal things feel borderline impossible because they don't offer immediate fat gainz

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice
the only investments worth making are ones that could 10x your money.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Nothus posted:

poo poo, do they need 600ml of urine? I could probably do that if you give me some notice.

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

https://www.altoonamirror.com/news/local-news/2023/07/dozens-evicted-from-central-pa-campground/

quote:

Dozens evicted from central Pa. campground

They had nothing in writing, but say they had good reason to believe the loss of their homes in a Cumberland County campground were permanent.

They say they paid more than seasonal campers. They were required to have extra insulation to prevent burst pipes and water system disruptions in winter. School buses stopped there.

It has come to a sudden, unexpected end: About 32 households in Cherokee Campground are being evicted, with many told to leave within 30 days, and the rest required to leave soon after. Several interviewed this week say they have no idea where they’ll go and fear becoming homeless.

“I’ve been shaking. My mind is on overtime. I’m not sleeping. I don’t know where we’ll go,” said Debbie Hoover, 62.

Most live in travel trailers or RVs. One dwelling seems made out of military tents.

Some have lived up to four years at the campground in Dickinson Township, near Pine Grove Furnace State Park.

“Almost all of us are in our 60s. Many of us have disabilities,” said Penny Brashears, 63, who has lived there for three years, and who said her living companion recently had heart surgery.

The campground owner, Nader Alajlouni, is evicting them because of a township ordinance that said people can’t live in a campground for more than half the year.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Nomadland is required viewing btw

BornAPoorBlkChild
Sep 24, 2012

Zodium posted:

before that it was the office of naval intelligence (1882)

Also Pinkertons

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

Stereotype posted:

the only investments worth making are ones that could 10x your money.

only 10x????
https://insidebitcoins.com/news/5-best-cryptocurrency-to-buy-for-100x-returns-december-2021

RadiRoot
Feb 3, 2007

how about getting jobs? :smug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NVZVHrc8ArU