Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lumbermouth
Mar 6, 2008

GREG IS BIG NOW

Adam Cole and MJF are both CZW products.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Maxwell Lord posted:

Honestly some of the early CZW shows have some promise, both it and ROH started off basically trying to fill the void left by ECW. There was some decent talent there.

Oh yeah people like Steen, LuFisto, Claudio and Eddie had matches there (Punk too for a brief moment) but I think most/all of them left for ROH shortly after. In Claudio and Eddie's case iirc they were treated like poo poo on the way out and never returned; the company by all means destroyed a lot of goodwill.

I'm mostly talking about the Zandig-owned days and some of the early years when DJ Hyde owned it afterwards, I have no clue how much it improved in the last 5 or 6 years

Hedgehog Pie
May 19, 2012

Total fuckin' silence.
The first place I ever heard of CZW was Botchamania, and the coverage was... not flattering (naturally, but it became synonymous with "guys hitting each other with stupid stuff and jumping off of things while almost dying"). That's probably coloured my view, as well as many others.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

That’s the most glowing review of CZW I’ve ever read

Erin M. Fiasco
Mar 21, 2013

Nothing's better than postin' in the morning!

DLC Inc posted:

Mox was a CZW guy so any/all caveman poo poo about him will never surprise me. The only surprising thing is that someone who came out of that fed made it so far, he was the crown jewel of a dungheap

This is such a 2011-rear end take. CZW had tons of great talent throughout, and most of today's stars that are getting big shots like MJF, Adam Cole, Dezmond Xavier, Sami Callihan, Private Party, and far more were all wrestling there in 2017. 2017 CZW especially was a hotbed of talent along with PWG just before All In and AEW. They're not all Cage Of Death matches. This isn't NWA Mountain State.

Erin M. Fiasco fucked around with this message at 21:04 on Jul 27, 2023

yea ok
Jul 27, 2006

JEeeeeeesus!!! Lol

Lumbermouth
Mar 6, 2008

GREG IS BIG NOW

Erin M. Fiasco posted:

This is such a 2011-rear end take. CZW had tons of great talent throughout, and most of today's stars that are getting big shots like MJF, Adam Cole, Dezmond Xavier, Sami Callihan, Private Party, and far more were all wrestling there in 2017. 2017 CZW especially was a hotbed of talent along with PWG just before All In and AEW. They're not all Cage Of Death matches. This isn't NWA Mountain State.

Though to be fair, it was marred by absolutely terrible crowds.

Suplex Liberace
Jan 18, 2012

Erin M. Fiasco posted:

skate zone was good times

Erin M. Fiasco
Mar 21, 2013

Nothing's better than postin' in the morning!

Suplex Liberace posted:

skate zone was good times

It really felt like an incredible era, and the people behind the scenes were poised to run the world. The locker room energy was hot. It still warms my heart to see Ace Austin killing it in Impact and Japan. I could only make it to one show and it was to work the merch table but it was electric. The pandemic put an end to it way too quickly.

Man, I miss Ace Romero.

Lumbermouth posted:

Though to be fair, it was marred by absolutely terrible crowds.

You're too right here. :smith: Reprehensible poo poo chanted constantly. One of my good friends was just coming out as gay when Jake Crist debuted his Artist gimmick there and got some violently homophobic chants and it messed him up. Sucked. Great product, horrendous fans.

Lumbermouth
Mar 6, 2008

GREG IS BIG NOW

Erin M. Fiasco posted:

You're too right here. :smith: Reprehensible poo poo chanted constantly. One of my good friends was just coming out as gay when Jake Crist debuted his Artist gimmick there and got some violently homophobic chants and it messed him up. Sucked. Great product, horrendous fans.

Oh the crowds I got weren’t even homophobic, they were just dead silent for two loving hours. I don’t even know why they were there.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

tbh I was moreso talking about the era of CZW where Zandig owned it and a guy named the loving Wifebeater was on the roster lol, which was pretty much the timeframe when Mox was around

Manwithastick
Jul 26, 2010

I liked it when the guy got airhorned every time he tried to speak

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Lumbermouth posted:

Adam Cole and MJF are both CZW products.

Cole is a CZW dojo product but MJF was a Create a Pro guy, he just had success in CZW

CombineThresher
Apr 10, 2006

GIT R DONNE

I watched CZW off and on back in the day and it felt like for every decent prospect there were five guys in track pants who couldn't run the ropes, and the fans were dickheads who didn't seem to really like wrestling all that much.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

DLC Inc posted:

Mox was a CZW guy so any/all caveman poo poo about him will never surprise me. The only surprising thing is that someone who came out of that fed made it so far, he was the crown jewel of a dungheap

Is this your attitude about Adam Cole, the Briscoes, MJF, and dozens of other wrestlers who started in or got their first big break in CZW?

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Lumbermouth posted:

Oh the crowds I got weren’t even homophobic, they were just dead silent for two loving hours. I don’t even know why they were there.

Were they all wearing Green Lantern shirts and looking at their watches?

Oil!
Nov 5, 2008

Der's e'rl in dem der hills!

Ham Wrangler
CZW also had some amazing Joey Janela vs Lio Rush matches

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

DLC Inc posted:

tbh I was moreso talking about the era of CZW where Zandig owned it and a guy named the loving Wifebeater was on the roster lol, which was pretty much the timeframe when Mox was around

Chris Hero's name when he started wrestling was Wifebeater, so at one point in the US Indies in '99 there was a Wifebeater in the Philly/New Jersey scene & then one in the Mid-West scene.

CZW is a weird company. It was scummy but no more than a lot of indy companies at the time. Ultimately despite everything it was a place a lot of really good wrestlers first caught on, especially that period where Mike Burns was booking the stuff Zandig wasn't interested in because he'd just book poo poo that would sell DVDs & that meant bringing in the Canadian crew like Sexxxy Eddy, Steen, Generico, Franky The Mobster, the Californians like Super Dragon & Excalibur, guys from Chikara like Claudio & Quack. And going back further to the very early days you'd have guys like Amazing Red, you'd have teenage Briscoes, you'd have the world's best bad wrestler Ric Blade who was trying poo poo he had no physical ability to do but he'd try anyway god dammit.

CZW gets more poo poo than it deserves, though it definitely does deserve some, it was a wrestling company after all.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
CZW was incredibly successful for a few years, and at other points. It was really good at some of these points, probably more entertaining than a lot of early ROH and sometimes less homophobic.

It was also really bad a lot of the time too. But overall it might be the second most important US indie, either CZW or IWA MS.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

https://twitter.com/OBEYBrookes/status/1684558539115859969?t=jwGKMFrbQQuAjpiAK7CB_g&s=19

Intergalactic dream match

Gambit from the X-Men
May 12, 2001

a war boy standing alone in the desert blasting his mouth with cum from a dildo
xpost

Gambit from the X-Men posted:

i got my mom to cross-stitch something for my spouse's birthday. i thought you all would like it.

Hedgehog Pie
May 19, 2012

Total fuckin' silence.
My view of CZW might have been coloured by Botchamania like a filthy casual, but my view of IWA MS being coloured by that time they actually beat the poo poo of an Internet nerd was discovered independently, drat it!

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!

Nice try, Chris, we know that you're a Thin Man.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Hedgehog Pie posted:

My view of CZW might have been coloured by Botchamania like a filthy casual, but my view of IWA MS being coloured by that time they actually beat the poo poo of an Internet nerd was discovered independently, drat it!

On the one hand, IWAMS paid like poo poo, if at all, on the other hand Eddie Kingston vs Chris Hero in a last man standing match from one of the TPI shows is one of the best matches I've seen in a US indy so it's impossible for me to actually hate IWA. Although Ian's long winded "motivational" in-ring promos were never nit dogshit

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
IWA-MS also gave us the youtube video "CM Punk: People Person"

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

the only czw show i went to i saw adam cole against i wanna say alex colon but that might be wrong, other guys from the card that stand out were rich swann, robert anthony, jon moxley, eddie kingston, sami callihan, and RUCKUS.

NienNunb
Feb 15, 2012

A lot of early CZW and IWA-MS stuff was really great.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

STONE COLD 64 posted:

the only czw show i went to i saw adam cole against i wanna say alex colon but that might be wrong, other guys from the card that stand out were rich swann, robert anthony, jon moxley, eddie kingston, sami callihan, and RUCKUS.

It's interesting how much more diverse CZW was than the typical indie.

Writer Cath
Apr 1, 2007

Box. Flipped.
Plaster Town Cop
https://twitter.com/DiscussingFilm/status/1684564862897393666

Imagine going into this thinking it'll be some uplifting sports type movie. This holiday season, give your family the gift of never knowing happiness again.

ARMBAR A COP
Nov 24, 2007

I honestly can’t wait to see people’s blind reactions to seeing the Von Erich’s story

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

ARMBAR A COP posted:

I honestly can’t wait to see people’s blind reactions to seeing the Von Erich’s story

I'm sure some of the more sordid stuff will be omitted

Gambit from the X-Men
May 12, 2001

El Gallinero Gros posted:

I'm sure some of the more sordid stuff will be omitted

you could cut the top 90% of the sordid stuff and still end up with utter misery. this'll be fun

Hedgehog Pie
May 19, 2012

Total fuckin' silence.

forkboy84 posted:

On the one hand, IWAMS paid like poo poo, if at all, on the other hand Eddie Kingston vs Chris Hero in a last man standing match from one of the TPI shows is one of the best matches I've seen in a US indy so it's impossible for me to actually hate IWA. Although Ian's long winded "motivational" in-ring promos were never nit dogshit

To be fair I know CZW and IWAMS have had some very good wrestlers, and I have really liked the good stuff of theirs that I've seen, but I'm not a big deathmatch/garbage/etc guy so the very negative stuff probably sticks out to me.

I got curious and found the nerd being beaten up in IWAMS! Probably worth :nws: https://streamable.com/1l2ly

Gambit from the X-Men posted:

you could cut the top 90% of the sordid stuff and still end up with utter misery. this'll be fun

I'm honestly not sure I'd want to watch it for this exact reason.

Gambit from the X-Men
May 12, 2001

I'm absolutely not going to watch it

Sandman from ECW
Sep 6, 2011

Hedgehog Pie posted:

To be fair I know CZW and IWAMS have had some very good wrestlers, and I have really liked the good stuff of theirs that I've seen, but I'm not a big deathmatch/garbage/etc guy so the very negative stuff probably sticks out to me.

I got curious and found the nerd being beaten up in IWAMS! Probably worth :nws: https://streamable.com/1l2ly

I'm honestly not sure I'd want to watch it for this exact reason.

Uhhh so what’s the story here

Seams
Feb 3, 2005

ROCK HARD
The Von Erich Story directed by Todd Solondz

Gambit from the X-Men
May 12, 2001

Seams posted:

The Von Erich Story directed by Todd Solondz

lol Jesus

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

ARMBAR A COP posted:

I have a friend who doesn't watch or have any exposure to wrestling at all, but loves things like true crime documentaries. She got hooked on Dark Side of the Ring and I remember her watching the Von Erich one and just messaging me things throughout like "WHAT THE gently caress, ANOTHER ONE?!"

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

The release date is December 22nd. Definitely going to bring in money at the Christmas box office

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hedgehog Pie
May 19, 2012

Total fuckin' silence.

Sandman McMahon posted:

Uhhh so what’s the story here

This is purely from what I've read here and elsewhere so anyone is free to correct me: some lad on Myspace begged IWAMS for a match. They put him up against a woman because that's funny and he's a loser, but it turns out this guy doesn't actually know the basics of wrestling, so he ends up hurting her just before she's due to make a TV appearance for TNA. They then decide to punish the guy in some really gross ways that are clearly meant to legitimately hurt him while everyone cheers. The younger lad smacking him with the cane is, I believe, the promoter's son. The promoter (Ian Rotten?) is the man hitting him with the BARBED WIRE CRUTCH.

Like I said, I know this is sort of thing isn't representative of the likes of CZW and IWAMS, but it's always the first thing I think of.

Gumball Gumption posted:

The release date is December 22nd. Definitely going to bring in money at the Christmas box office

That might actually be some ingenious promotion. I'm not talking Barbie vs Oppenheimer, but a lot of people hate their families at Christmas! This might reignite something vaguely pleasant.