Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Steam got the engine update a while back (same one they use for the ports). It runs much better now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

MarcusSA posted:

Yeah but you were always wrong so :shrug:

It definitely used to get sub 20fps but I’m not sure when they switched to the new engine it fixed it or not.

Sub20 is pretty generous to how the old engine fared

https://i.imgur.com/Fal3FEU.mp4

Kwolok
Jan 4, 2022

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Steam got the engine update a while back (same one they use for the ports). It runs much better now.

That was only in beta I think. August 17th the new engine released proper

Soysaucebeast
Mar 4, 2008

Anyone have any experience with getting Pokemon Infinite Fusion up and running on the deck? I've never played it before, but my friend was streaming it the other day and it looks fun, but every guide I can find is for an outdated version of their installer. I downloaded the Infinite_Fusion_linux_MacOs.zip file but once I extract it I get a .sh file that seems to do nothing when I open it, and a .exe file that asks what program I want to run it in. I'm a linux idiot for the most part, so it's entirely possible I'm missing something super basic.

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

malae fidei cum XI_XXVI_MMIX

Soysaucebeast posted:

Anyone have any experience with getting Pokemon Infinite Fusion up and running on the deck? I've never played it before, but my friend was streaming it the other day and it looks fun, but every guide I can find is for an outdated version of their installer. I downloaded the Infinite_Fusion_linux_MacOs.zip file but once I extract it I get a .sh file that seems to do nothing when I open it, and a .exe file that asks what program I want to run it in. I'm a linux idiot for the most part, so it's entirely possible I'm missing something super basic.

.sh is the linux's exe, you just need to rclick and select "is executable"

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

3fps in the final minute is the authentic Vampire Survivors experience.

Soysaucebeast
Mar 4, 2008

Vic posted:

Thanks for that, it was a step in the right direction. Unfortunately it STILL refuses to do anything, but I found a workaround on reddit, so I'm giving that a go now. All this for a dumb pokemon game I'm going to forget about in like a week when BG3 comes out.

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

Soysaucebeast posted:

Sorry you just picked the worst possible time to try it. Half the downloads on the discord are broken or incorrect.
Here is the proper Linux install script and here is a guide to use it.

Heran Bago fucked around with this message at 20:30 on Jul 27, 2023

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Soysaucebeast posted:

Download on PC, extract the zip file there. Run the bash script to install. Once you have the that done copy the whole infinitefusion-18 folder (or whatever it’s called) to the Deck. Once it’s on the deck, add the exe as a non-Steam game and force compatibility to GE proton

Soysaucebeast
Mar 4, 2008

Heran Bago posted:

Sorry you just picked the worst possible time to try it. Half the downloads on the discord are broken or incorrect.

Oh my god thank you so much for this. I legit was halfway through extracting the windows download and planning to copy the whole thing over and then force it through Proton (basically exactly what Happy Noodle Boy suggested lol. Great minds and all that) and figured I would give your suggestion a go while I waited for that to finish downloading/extracting. And it worked flawlessly. I need to ask goons for help more instead of bashing my head into a wall for a few hours.

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

njsykora posted:

3fps in the final minute is the authentic Vampire Survivors experience.

And if you're playing properly you shouldn't need a single fps to survive that minute

parasyte
Aug 13, 2003

Nobody wants to die except the suicides. They're no fun.

Heran Bago posted:

oh good, i was looking at the installer script and going :psyduck: there's no way this could be expected to work on a linux system and figuring out what, if anything, special the 7z options do.

this script is exactly the same as I was coming up with. you'd download just that to wherever you want the game installed, then chmod 755 INSTALL_OR_UPDATE.sh, run it, and when it's done you go ahead and add game.exe as a non-steam game, and tell it to open with Proton.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Papercut posted:

And if you're playing properly you shouldn't need a single fps to survive that minute

Made it to 29:40. :eng99:

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla

Your Computer posted:

i've kept looking and this is by far the closest to a solution i've been so i'm gonna try it out and i'll report back! it's less satisfying than the proper solution but from everything i can tell it's simply not possible to do it like that :negative:
I think I’m on to something close.

I set the left track pad to a radial menu with my inputs (I just tested with four d-pad directions for a game but this could be 8 keypad inputs for a rogue like or whatever inputs you need).

Then for each button’s setting, I changed “regular press” to “button chord” and under “settings” within each button set the chord button to R4.

Now in the game, the menu will appear whenever I touch the track pad but clicking it does nothing unless I’m already holding R4 before clicking.

Not quite what you were looking for but it’s at least probably going to stop accidental presses.

Edit: okay somehow I completely misread the post you were responding to that basically just did this exact same solution but with touch release instead of click. I’m an idiot.

Atoramos
Aug 31, 2003

Jim's now a Blind Cave Salamander!

Playing Remnant 2 and it's not really optimized for the deck, but it plays wonderfully over streaming. I don't use streaming too often, so figure I'd ask:

- Remnant 2 offers 1280x720 but not 800 when streaming. When playing natively, it works. Is this a game-specific issue/due to the ratio of my monitor?

- Gyro works when streaming....sometimes, but randomly cut out. Not sure if there's a way to stabilize it.

- I keep hearing people say good things about Moonlight/Sunshine, is that typically better than Steam's native streaming and would it address the above issues?

baram.
Oct 23, 2007

smooth.

gabe gear

rafikki
Mar 8, 2008

I see what you did there. (It's pretty easy, since ducks have a field of vision spanning 340 degrees.)

~SMcD

N-gabe

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

malae fidei cum XI_XXVI_MMIX
gabe-oy

wait...

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Vic posted:

gabe-oy

We all say this when we have to reboot our decks to fix some linux jank

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:

Vic posted:

This is both wrong but actually helpful, which makes it worse. So I'm just going to grrrrr at you because the actual details are irrelevant.

Grrrrrrrr

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

Atoramos posted:

Playing Remnant 2 and it's not really optimized for the deck, but it plays wonderfully over streaming. I don't use streaming too often, so figure I'd ask:

- Remnant 2 offers 1280x720 but not 800 when streaming. When playing natively, it works. Is this a game-specific issue/due to the ratio of my monitor?

- Gyro works when streaming....sometimes, but randomly cut out. Not sure if there's a way to stabilize it.

- I keep hearing people say good things about Moonlight/Sunshine, is that typically better than Steam's native streaming and would it address the above issues?

I had a good experience with moonlight when it used to work but I never use gyro. Still, it played like native. I haven't found a good write up to get sunshine working.

Hammer Bro.
Jul 7, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Antigravitas posted:

This is both wrong but actually helpful, which makes it worse. So I'm just going to grrrrr at you because the actual details are irrelevant.

Grrrrrrrr

.bat is Windows' .shit?

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Suburban Dad posted:

I had a good experience with moonlight when it used to work but I never use gyro. Still, it played like native. I haven't found a good write up to get sunshine working.

I got Sunshine installed recently, it’s not too hard. Install the thing, set an admin password for the dashboard, make sure Gamestream is turned off so it doesn’t conflict and your PC should show up like it does under Gamestream. Only you enter the connection pin in the Sunshine dashboard.

And restart the service if it doesn’t work first time.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

I need to figure out why my deck can see the Sunshine instance but not MoonDeckBuddy…

SilkyP
Jul 21, 2004

The Boo-Box

Bought Midnight Suns on sale, finding this to be a pretty much perfect deck game
Good for short bursts or long play sessions
Was worried I wouldn’t like it since it plays different then XCOM and XCOM 2 but it’s actually pretty fuckin fun
Also I can crank it to ultra when I’m plugged in and get a pretty smooth 30 fps

wizard2
Apr 4, 2022
Im sure this is answered multiple times over but Google is a desolate wasteland. Are there any nessecary tricks to running Fallout New Vegas? Do not care at all about mods outside of any recommended purist performance, stability, bugfixes and maybe JSawyer.

tango alpha delta
Sep 9, 2011

Ask me about my wealthy lifestyle and passive income! I love bragging about my wealth to my lessers! My opinions are more valid because I have more money than you! Stealing the fruits of the labor of the working class is okay, so long as you don't do it using crypto. More money = better than!

wizard2 posted:

Im sure this is answered multiple times over but Google is a desolate wasteland. Are there any nessecary tricks to running Fallout New Vegas? Do not care at all about mods outside of any recommended purist performance, stability, bugfixes and maybe JSawyer.

New Vegas runs very well right out of the box. The only oddity I noticed was pushing the left stick made Courier Six run, but pushing the stick all the way made him walk, which is backwards. Its a simple fix in the controls settings if you run into that.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

I had a very nice radial menu setup (the menus that pop up when you touch the trackpads, allowing you to assign each direction to different keyboard buttons) for Elite Dangerous that just straight up wont work any longer. If you've ever played E:D you know that it requires like 80 buttons to be mapped, and the radial menus are the only thing that will really make that game playable on Deck.

They're still configured correctly, and they actually perform their functions (i.e. when I select a direction on the touchpad it does the thing its supposed to do), but the pop up menus are just gone now.

Any ideas? I've already rebooted

SavageMessiah
Jan 28, 2009

Emotionally drained and spookified

Toilet Rascal

Beve Stuscemi posted:

I had a very nice radial menu setup (the menus that pop up when you touch the trackpads, allowing you to assign each direction to different keyboard buttons) for Elite Dangerous that just straight up wont work any longer. If you've ever played E:D you know that it requires like 80 buttons to be mapped, and the radial menus are the only thing that will really make that game playable on Deck.

They're still configured correctly, and they actually perform their functions (i.e. when I select a direction on the touchpad it does the thing its supposed to do), but the pop up menus are just gone now.

Any ideas? I've already rebooted

Those need the steam overlay to function so maybe that got turned off for that game somehow?

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

So, when I use gyro, I prefer it to be mimicking a mouse, but what I hate is when, the moment it becomes active, the on-screen buttons switch from controller to m+kb. This happens in Valheim, and I believe GTA Online, and a few these.

However, L4D2 works incredibly well by accepting and dealing with the fact that the player is likely using both types of input functionality via the Steam Deck, and is very smooth and inclusive when it tells me what button does what. I get why this game would be so well supported, as it's Valve, so....

Anyway, my question is what other games, other than Desk Job, deal specifically with the Steam controller in terms of on-screen controls? What games don't suddenly switch HUD controller elements when going between reading gamepad and m+kb input? I essentially want to use gyro as mouse, as well as the controller buttons, and I want the game I'm playing to recognize what button I'm ACTUALLY pressing, instead of all of a sudden showing me what keyboard key I need to press.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

I think it is actually totally absurd that Team Fortress 2 isn't Perfect On The Deck. The B button by default opens the daily quests? lol?

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.

SilkyP posted:

Bought Midnight Suns on sale, finding this to be a pretty much perfect deck game
Good for short bursts or long play sessions
Was worried I wouldn’t like it since it plays different then XCOM and XCOM 2 but it’s actually pretty fuckin fun
Also I can crank it to ultra when I’m plugged in and get a pretty smooth 30 fps

I’m still playing the heck out of it on both the deck and my pc, it rules. Got the pack with all the DLC characters and extra missions too and there is a lot of stuff to do even story mission wise. gently caress that tomb of dracula mission though hurrrrrgh

RandolphCarter
Jul 30, 2005

wizard2 posted:

I’m playing through it completely vanilla right now and it’s the most stable I’ve ever seen it. One crash in 20+ hours.

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer
I started the Ascent and....the fan
went wild. First non-pixel grafx game I ran, I think I'll stick withe the indies.
Running the fan that high seems not great for the vent smell. And it's noisy.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

jokes posted:

I think it is actually totally absurd that Team Fortress 2 isn't Perfect On The Deck. The B button by default opens the daily quests? lol?

It is weird that Valve didnt go back and make their own games work well on the deck

SavageMessiah posted:

Those need the steam overlay to function so maybe that got turned off for that game somehow?

I'll check that

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Halo: MCC (Halo CE) is crashing all the time with remastered graphics. Seems common even off the Deck, but it's very frustrating. Anyone have ideas on how to help resolve freezing/crashes?

Squiggle
Sep 29, 2002

I don't think she likes the special sauce, Rick.

Beve Stuscemi posted:

It is weird that Valve didnt go back and make their own games work well on the deck

I was honestly pretty sure that they did, which makes the TF2 case pretty weird.

jokes posted:

Halo: MCC (Halo CE) is crashing all the time with remastered graphics. Seems common even off the Deck, but it's very frustrating. Anyone have ideas on how to help resolve freezing/crashes?

There's absolutely no workaround for the remastered graphics that I've seen. Just running Halo 1 in old fashioned ugly mode. :(

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox
If you ask me the new graphics are the ugly ones. They really hosed up the art design.

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

So, when I use gyro, I prefer it to be mimicking a mouse, but what I hate is when, the moment it becomes active, the on-screen buttons switch from controller to m+kb. This happens in Valheim, and I believe GTA Online, and a few these.

However, L4D2 works incredibly well by accepting and dealing with the fact that the player is likely using both types of input functionality via the Steam Deck, and is very smooth and inclusive when it tells me what button does what. I get why this game would be so well supported, as it's Valve, so....

Anyway, my question is what other games, other than Desk Job, deal specifically with the Steam controller in terms of on-screen controls? What games don't suddenly switch HUD controller elements when going between reading gamepad and m+kb input? I essentially want to use gyro as mouse, as well as the controller buttons, and I want the game I'm playing to recognize what button I'm ACTUALLY pressing, instead of all of a sudden showing me what keyboard key I need to press.

This requires the game to use the Steam Controller/Input API and almost nobody outside of Valve did that without getting paid by Valve.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

alexandriao
Jul 20, 2019

Vic posted:

errr

that's

uhhhhhHH