Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?
Bad Luck Burrow

https://twitter.com/MikeGarafolo/status/1684662105809588224?s=20

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

wandler20 posted:

lmao this is even more hilarious than Bryce Young.

Showed this to my friend. He said what is it, take your kid to work day?

Me: ummmm, yes. His dad works for the Cowboys

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

https://twitter.com/diannaespn/status/1684691315894702080?s=61&t=5XhQ3IY0TKf9sLs_Mzh2Lw

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

Docjowles posted:

This is a weird take on a game the Eagles very nearly won if any single one of a bunch of things went their way (in before "yeah but they didn't")

YEAH

BUT

THEY

DIDN'T

:hehe:

Woozie66
Sep 8, 2009

I'll wait for the next era
https://twitter.com/AroundTheNFL/status/1684694666447630338?t=ZcVh9iNfSsn0iKDEQg4ybA&s=19

bows1
May 16, 2004

Chill, whale, chill
man I hope Burrow is ok

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!
https://twitter.com/BobJustfkinBob/status/1684735683699634176

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?

kiimo posted:

https://twitter.com/rapsheet/status/1684659347245457408?s=42&t=vYGMjgtg31X780Jer9MHvA

also reminder that season tickets are still on sale!

edit: this thread movin fast

Thank gently caress

bows1 posted:

That’s not the end of the world but not great. He’s never had a full training camp

well at least that doesn't seem to have harmed his development

Doctor Teeth
Sep 12, 2008

lmao

Lifespan
Mar 5, 2002

This whole thread missed Hurts joining Miami. Get with it people.

Incitatus
Dec 16, 2005

The Meat Man was out of wings, Mr. William Ash More!:argh:

Lifespan posted:

This whole thread missed Hurts joining Miami. Get with it people.

They missed a comma. It should be Jalen, hurts.

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

Can't get over how tiny this guy is

https://twitter.com/jonmachota/status/1684648359322341376

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Big heads mode on

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
I know there's doubts about Tua but god drat, Phins going all out

bows1
May 16, 2004

Chill, whale, chill
What does someone like Ian Rappaport get paid for. Tweeting contract info first, but how does that make money?

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

bows1 posted:

What does someone like Ian Rappaport get paid for. Tweeting contract info first, but how does that make money?

He works for NFL Network and is part of a bunch of their shows. He's their Adam Schefter.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

Breaking news is how he builds his clout which he then uses to get paid from someone like NFL network. They’re a communication channel for agents and players which has its place but I’m not convinced being the first to tweet something holds any value over the second or third person to tweet it.

But if he was only told news because of his specific connection then that’s something unique he brings.

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

They wasted Luanne on Lucky!

She could of have been so much more but the writers just didn't care!
I think no one gives a poo poo who the photo and name is that is tweeting the information.

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

Not true. If it’s Jason LaCanfora, I know I can ignore it.

fsif
Jul 18, 2003

The Dave posted:

But if he was only told news because of his specific connection then that’s something unique he brings.

Yeah but the issue is that the news he "breaks" is always just stuff that the team or an agent would independently report themselves if there were no insiders. If all the Schefter's of the world were stuck on a deserted island for a week with no cell service, we'd have heard about the Barkley and Herbert extensions at roughly the same time we already did.

They almost never actually report anything that wouldn't be public knowledge in a matter of mere moments later anyway (at least without violating HIPAA).

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

Rap had the Jalen Ramsey injury as a full meniscus repair and as far as I know that's only been reported by insiders and Ramsey himself saying he's looking forward to the end of year push. Nothing from agent or team.

There is value in the information they provide beyond just PR and they get paid because the public has trust in that the information is almost always true, whereas a random sports radio host idiot (or Jason La Canfora) tweeting rumors has a 5% hit rate.

Slowpoke!
Feb 12, 2008

ANIME IS FOR ADULTS
The real reason they exist is so that they can be fed/spit out the news as the owner’s want it heard. They are trustworthy and we listen to them, because it’s football so ultimately it’s not very important, but they certainly have an agenda. The Adam Schefter-Bruce Allen emails kind of proves that.

Quiet Feet
Dec 14, 2009

THE HELL IS WITH THIS ASS!?

So that's where the rest of Bryce Young went.

bows1
May 16, 2004

Chill, whale, chill

Ehud posted:

He works for NFL Network and is part of a bunch of their shows. He's their Adam Schefter.

Totally, and I get that. But its basically the NFL paying someone to report for the owners right?

fsif posted:

Yeah but the issue is that the news he "breaks" is always just stuff that the team or an agent would independently report themselves if there were no insiders. If all the Schefter's of the world were stuck on a deserted island for a week with no cell service, we'd have heard about the Barkley and Herbert extensions at roughly the same time we already did.

They almost never actually report anything that wouldn't be public knowledge in a matter of mere moments later anyway (at least without violating HIPAA).

Cause its basically this. Everyone can just release it themselves without a schefter or a rapaport. Its such a weird niche thing about being the first to tweet news, thats all.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

They need to tell the news to someone though whether that is a person or a business and if they have someone they perceive as a 'friend' they can just shoot a text and know they are going to get favorable coverage.

Yeah when it's just numbers there may not be any real spin to put on there but that part is relationship building. I give you these contract numbers first and when my client is in some poo poo or wants a trade you help us play the media.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

bows1 posted:

Totally, and I get that. But its basically the NFL paying someone to report for the owners right?

Cause its basically this. Everyone can just release it themselves without a schefter or a rapaport. Its such a weird niche thing about being the first to tweet news, thats all.

Entertainment news has always been like this. Show creators and actors, for example, do not talk about things until variety or some other trade media publishes it.

bows1
May 16, 2004

Chill, whale, chill

Mr. Nice! posted:

Entertainment news has always been like this. Show creators and actors, for example, do not talk about things until variety or some other trade media publishes it.

The Dave posted:

They need to tell the news to someone though whether that is a person or a business and if they have someone they perceive as a 'friend' they can just shoot a text and know they are going to get favorable coverage.

Yeah when it's just numbers there may not be any real spin to put on there but that part is relationship building. I give you these contract numbers first and when my client is in some poo poo or wants a trade you help us play the media.

Both good points.

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret

No Butt Stuff posted:

Not true. If it’s Jason LaCanfora, I know I can ignore it.

And I will always trust Wesley Steinberg and Adarn Scheftor

fsif
Jul 18, 2003

Diva Cupcake posted:

Rap had the Jalen Ramsey injury as a full meniscus repair and as far as I know that's only been reported by insiders and Ramsey himself saying he's looking forward to the end of year push. Nothing from agent or team.

There is value in the information they provide beyond just PR and they get paid because the public has trust in that the information is almost always true, whereas a random sports radio host idiot (or Jason La Canfora) tweeting rumors has a 5% hit rate.

I mean yeah there's no reason for the agent or team to independently report it if they've already dictated their tweets to Rappoport. Coaches and players always share injury updates and broad time tables with reporters during their press conferences anyway.

If there were no national "insiders" obsessing over getting credit for breaking a story milliseconds before anyone else, would we still know this information? Of course we would. The same parties that fed their stories to Schefter/Rap would just feed their stories to beat writers or non-weirdo national reporters instead.

Chief McHeath
Apr 23, 2002

i still cannot believe espns bengals guy is named Ben Baby

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

Chief McHeath posted:

i still cannot believe espns bengals guy is named Ben Baby

I still giggle a few times every year when I catch a college game that got the announcing team with Rocky Boyman on it.

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
I'm just happy that we get any details at all about NFL injuries. If Ramsey played in the NHL they'd just call it a "lower body injury" and go radio silent for months. College football coaches will refuse to say anything and get mad at people for even asking.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

indigi posted:

well at least that doesn't seem to have harmed his development
Did you see their first two games last year?

korrandark
Jan 5, 2009

AAAAA! Real Muenster posted:

Did you see their first two games last year?

I think that had more to do with the oline with 4 new starters never getting a chance to play together in training camp or preseason.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

korrandark posted:

I think that had more to do with the oline with 4 new starters never getting a chance to play together in training camp or preseason.
por que no los dos?

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Impossibly Perfect Sphere posted:

I think no one gives a poo poo who the photo and name is that is tweeting the information.

https://twitter.com/WesSteinberg/status/1648018545156956192

edit:

fartknocker posted:

And I will always trust Wesley Steinberg and Adarn Scheftor

are you kidding me

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Jesus jones arms and hands are enourmous

Thaddius the Large
Jul 5, 2006

It's in the five-hole!

euphronius posted:

Or his head is just very, very small

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen

euphronius posted:

No this is Jesus Jones
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qBklIul0Rog

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lifespan
Mar 5, 2002

What a lovely question and an honest answer.