Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002

Posted 2 pages ago

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

kid sinister posted:

Posted 2 pages ago

Cool but this post turned it into 3 pages ago so you're wrong

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

Powered Descent posted:

I have a ceiling fan on which I've put in LED bulbs for three of the four sockets on the light fixture. Why not the fourth? Because if it's all-LED, then when the light is off, one of the bulbs will still faintly glow. Having one incandescent somewhere in the fixture will prevent this. Needless to say, it isn't on a good old fashioned analog switch, but some fancy-rear end electronic thing in the wallplate. I don't know if it's X10 or something else, but I guess whatever tiny control voltage is there at all times is enough to barely light an LED.

I hate LEDs on fans since a lot of the light is wasted.
For a time I experimented with linear globes which did the job, but they were invariable cheap chinese crap that failed.
I installed downlights in the bedrooms and had the light part of the ceiling fans disconnected.

the yeti
Mar 29, 2008

memento disco

~Coxy posted:

I hate LEDs on fans since a lot of the light is wasted.
For a time I experimented with linear globes which did the job, but they were invariable cheap chinese crap that failed.
I installed downlights in the bedrooms and had the light part of the ceiling fans disconnected.

Do you mean wasted like projected generally not where you want it?

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
I really liked the ceiling fans at my old rental. If you flipped the switch off and on, the light would come on regardless if you turned it off by pulling the cord. So, if I left the fan on with the light off during the day, night came and it was too dark to see anything, just flip flip, light is on! No wandering around looking for a dangling cord in the dark.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

Edit: Misread!

The Dave fucked around with this message at 14:58 on Jul 25, 2023

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
Never seen another one do that! At my current place, switch puts power to the fixture, but the fan and lights are in the state they were when I flipped the switch off.

My mom's, the switch only controls the light, the fan is only controlled by the cable. That may have been my dad loving around with the wiring, though.

Uthor fucked around with this message at 14:54 on Jul 25, 2023

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

Oh I read that wrong, my bad.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

Edit: Reply is not an edit, apparently.

Beef Of Ages
Jan 11, 2003

Your dumb is leaking.

Freaquency
May 10, 2007

"Yes I can hear you, I don't have ear cancer!"

Future archeologists are going to assume this is some sort of dazzle camouflage to confuse invaders, just like the thing about castle stairs being uneven

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

the yeti posted:

Do you mean wasted like projected generally not where you want it?

Yeah, typical LED bulb has the diodes pointing "down" but when you put that in a fan luminaire it's now "sideways".

I have seen fans that have a "bulb" that is a single large circular circuit board so all the diodes point "down" but they look like they will be impossible to find a replacement for and hideously expensive even if you can.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

I've never really had any issue with name brand LED bulbs throwing light directionally, unless they are supposed to like in a flood lamp or spotlight. The built in diffusers seem to work very well.

In the room I'm in I have a fan with a four bulb fixture loaded with this style of GE LED bulb from Lowe's and the brightest spot is directly under the fan.

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002

Yikes.

Buttchocks
Oct 21, 2020

No, I like my hat, thanks.

Freaquency posted:

Future archeologists are going to assume this is some sort of dazzle camouflage to confuse invaders, just like the thing about castle stairs being uneven

Naw, these stairs were clearly used in religious ceremonies to induce a psychedelic trip.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

Buttchocks posted:

Naw, these stairs were clearly used in religious ceremonies to induce a psychedelic trip.

Wile E. Peyote

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

canyoneer posted:

Wile E. Peyote

Now that's a username.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

SCP-015 trying to make an inroad.

VelociBacon posted:

Those are 2-6 headers!

:haw:

This makes me *furious*. It's like the cargo-cult version of bricklaying. They saw actual bricklaying done once and vaguely remember some details.

Powerful Two-Hander posted:

Dry air can take more water than moist which is what your room air will be, and if your room is cooled you're using energy to heat that air then immediately throwing it out .

Thermodynamics for closed loop systems is cool (lol). With high enough efficiency in the heat exchanges you can lose very little energy in the process.

LOL, y'all have your dryers in your house.
I wish ours was in the house, in a dedicated laundry room, instead of taking up space, along with the washer, a sorter and half the laundry, and a drying rack my wife insists can't *possibly* be outside in the back yard, in my drat garage...

3D Megadoodoo posted:

LED "bulbs" are manufactured by capitalists. That's the long and short of it. Only the very shittest ones are sold at retail.

Can't be worse than incandescent (which were supposedly made to last less longer than they could by collusiion among manufacturers back in the day) but go look up "Dubai bulbs" and be infuriated.
Fake edit: never mind, I did it for you: https://hackaday.com/2021/01/17/leds-from-dubai-the-royal-lights-you-cant-buy/

Cat Hatter posted:

I went all in on LEDs about a decade ago and I've had to replace maybe one bulb and I have one builder grade fixture that gets left on constantly that's just starting to flicker occasionally.

I had one of the original rubber-coated glass Cree bulbs running literally constantly on my front porch for about a decade. It's still fine. I only replaced it to put a smart bulb out there so it would turn on and off on a schedule, and I could change colors for seasonal stuff. The reason the bulb was on constantly was that the day/night sensor built into the fixture died and I couldn't be arsed to fix it. It must be said, however, the Cree is noticeably dimmer that, say the Feit or Utilitech "60W" bulbs I have elsewhere. I don't remember what equivalent brightness it was supposed to be, so I don't know if it has dimmed over time, or was always a "40W" or whatever. I don't think I've replaced any other LEDs, either. I don't think I have any incandescents left, and only a few fluorescents.

`Nemesis
Dec 30, 2000

railroad graffiti
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zb7Bs98KmnY

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
The Phoebus lightbulb cartel did a good thing for a bad reason.

The world would be poorer and more polluted if everyone bought long-lasting incandescent bulbs that produced less lumens per watt, as an inescapable tradeoff of the physics by which they glow.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Those are actually good points.
Same reason I replaced my 30-yrear-old fridge when it really just probably needed re-gassing, rather than find someone who could do it. Anything I bought new would be vastly more efficient, using a friendly(er) gas plus the wife wanted a fancy bottom freezer Dutch door, and if mama ain't happy...

EssOEss
Oct 23, 2006
128-bit approved

Darchangel posted:

This makes me *furious*. It's like the cargo-cult version of bricklaying. They saw actual bricklaying done once and vaguely remember some details.

Is it normal for the brick to be 98% air like the ones we see in this video? Every brick I have seen in real life has contained a lot more brick.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

Those are hollow clay bricks; they're a real thing that has legitimate uses. I think that because of the design they have much better insulation than regular bricks, and the channels also make them significantly lighter. They're usually used for interior or partition walls, or for external walls in certain situations. They're not supposed to be used in foundations and I think can only be used in load-bearing walls for relatively small structures. Also in none of those legitimate uses should they be treated or stacked like that.

Jaguars!
Jul 31, 2012

Darchangel posted:

I like the hardhat that's been stitched back together. That's a level 2 hardhat now, right?

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

EssOEss posted:

Is it normal for the brick to be 98% air like the ones we see in this video? Every brick I have seen in real life has contained a lot more brick.

It's so the manufacturer can pull a Capitalism and announce a new model the next year that has smaller air channels thus 7% more brick per brick.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

Jaguars! posted:

I like the hardhat that's been stitched back together. That's a level 2 hardhat now, right?

"Kintsugi Hardhat" will be my next band's name.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Arrath posted:

It's so the manufacturer can pull a Capitalism and announce a new model the next year that has smaller air channels thus 7% more brick per brick.

Cave Johnson here.

Introducing the consumer version of our most popular military product.

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

Darchangel posted:

LOL, y'all have your dryers in your house.
I wish ours was in the house, in a dedicated laundry room, instead of taking up space, along with the washer, a sorter and half the laundry, and a drying rack my wife insists can't *possibly* be outside in the back yard, in my drat garage...

If it makes you feel any better it's actually in a garage that's attached to the house which is where re heating system is as well. One day I'll convert it into a proper utility area if I can work out a way of doing it that gives space for both work surfaces and a sink.

Having a drier in a completely detached garage is also inefficient btw.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

Ashcans posted:

Those are hollow clay bricks; they're a real thing that has legitimate uses. I think that because of the design they have much better insulation than regular bricks, and the channels also make them significantly lighter. They're usually used for interior or partition walls, or for external walls in certain situations. They're not supposed to be used in foundations and I think can only be used in load-bearing walls for relatively small structures. Also in none of those legitimate uses should they be treated or stacked like that.

I also gave this a bit of research as I've seen them used in southern europe a lot and asia. I would guess that clay is a lot more available around the world than concrete as well, and these are just more complex bricks essentially. Lighter and bigger, requires less labor and transport cost for the amount of wall area.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Yeah, they're sort of a cross between a brick and a cinderblock.
I've seen a very few outbuildings using them here in Texas, none recently, and none new even when I saw them years and years ago.
The last I recall was a wellhouse on my great-grandparent's property, I think. Or something like that. Nowadays you would just use cinderblock if not wood framing. Cost, maybe?

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter
https://i.imgur.com/Q78OxAV.mp4

StormDrain fucked around with this message at 19:12 on Jul 28, 2023

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

Can't timg an mp4 mate

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

Flipperwaldt posted:

Can't timg an mp4 mate

One of the most annoying things about this website. It worked fine on the app probably because the app corrects for this. How did you do it again? Quoting doesn't give me the source code.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

StormDrain posted:

One of the most annoying things about this website. It worked fine on the app probably because the app corrects for this. How did you do it again? Quoting doesn't give me the source code.
Url tags are what's appropriate for this. Which is a bit odd all things considered.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

Flipperwaldt posted:

Url tags are what's appropriate for this. Which is a bit odd all things considered.

Amazing. Great website. What's fun is I actually did also try that and IMG tags and it came up twice so I deleted the URL tag figuring it was the app making it work and not the way it was supposed to be. The right motive and method on the wrong subject.

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

Day 12045 Ht10hands 180lbs
No Name
No lumps No Bumps Full life Clean
Two good eyes No Busted Limbs
Piss OK Genitals intact
Multiple scars Heals fast
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
Lone Road Warrior Rundown
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...

Well it's working now and all I can really say is AAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

Blowjob Overtime
Apr 6, 2008

Steeeeriiiiiiiiike twooooooo!

"Heh, that panel comes out, that is crappy construction. Hey wait, what's that behind OHHHH NOOOO"

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Just slap a “GFCI PROTECTED” sticker on the door of the panel, good to go.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

My coworker had a phone charger that was so big (40,000 mAh) the airport staff wouldn't let him take it on the plane. They held it at the airport until he returned from vacation.

Next time he used the label maker to print a capacity 20,000 mAh sticker, he put it over the original labeling, and the airport let it through.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Detheros
Apr 11, 2010

I want to die.

:stare: