Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Stereotype)

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

Taima posted:

Wow, so I've posted at length about El Nino in this thread. You can view my other posts for that information.

Some really crazy poo poo has been happening right now with that:

This is huge. I won't even bother explaining what this chart is, all you need to know is that we are currently in the beginning to mid stages of a second major supercharge cycle for this year's El Nino.

It's going to be a pretty crazy winter if the rest of this active event verifies like the model is charting (and it's been doing pretty good, so I think it will, but we'll see)!

It will take several weeks to see the warm water hit the Galapagos area (known colloquially as nino 1.2 region) but it's going to charge us up right as we go into fall. Woo baby.

Unless something seriously changes, we are looking at the strongest classic-style (far EP based canonical) El Nino event since 1997. Only real question in my mind at this point is how much it will grow from here. After 3 years of La Nina, there is a LOT of latent warm water in the west pacific to push east. Therefore the top level cap on how strong this El Nino can be, is VERY high.

I'm pretty sad that I chose this year to move from CA to Seattle cuz I would love to be in the thick of it.

The entire world is going to feel the power of this event, we ain't seen nothin' yet.
:letsgo: :pray:

1997 in CA was one of the best years of my life, magical time to be alive. i'm excited to get another, hopefully on turbo steroids

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dog Case
Oct 7, 2003

Heeelp meee... prevent wildfires
I can't remember 1997. Was that the year that all the candles in the house melted

celadon
Jan 2, 2023

Taima posted:

Wow, so I've posted at length about El Nino in this thread. You can view my other posts for that information.

This is huge. I won't even bother explaining what this chart is, all you need to know is that we are currently in the beginning to mid stages of a second major supercharge cycle for this year's El Nino.

It's going to be a pretty crazy winter if the rest of this active event verifies like the model is charting (and it's been doing pretty good, so I think it will, but we'll see)!

It will take several weeks to see the warm water hit the Galapagos area (known colloquially as nino 1.2 region) but it's going to charge us up right as we go into fall. Woo baby.

Unless something seriously changes, we are looking at the strongest classic-style (far EP based canonical) El Nino event since 1997. Only real question in my mind at this point is how much it will grow from here. After 3 years of La Nina, there is a LOT of latent warm water in the west pacific to push east. Therefore the top level cap on how strong this El Nino can be, is VERY high.

I'm pretty sad that I chose this year to move from CA to Seattle cuz I would love to be in the thick of it.

The entire world is going to feel the power of this event, we ain't seen nothin' yet.

man 1997 was so much water it was insane. our town had this huge pit where all the soccer and baseball fields were, and it had like multiple 15-foot diameter drainage canals, and it still flooded like 10 feet deep. also my dads a landscape architect so he'll get to see how well everything hes designed in the last 25 years handles this poo poo

also also glad to be in a place called hillcrest as opposed to anything with the word valley in it

Just a Moron
Nov 11, 2021

Sounds like the California drout is over then, what were you doomers so worried about?

netizen
Jun 25, 2023
My mom's friend works in hospice care in Phoenix. Like she goes to people's houses to help take care of them. Seems like a tough (but vitally important) job under normal circumstances. I wouldn't want to imagine what it would be like during this heat if the power goes out for any significant amount of time. I'd like to assume they have contingency plans for this sort of thing, like taking them someplace with backup power like a hospital but who knows.

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal
more like the morgue, by which i obviously mean refrigerated truck

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

Sunny Side Up posted:

A few days ago we were doing an activity to teach our 3 year old about pollution and while we were able to filter the small cup, the kiddie pool just wouldn’t get clean. Attacking it, scooping it, and dropping in coffee filters in didn’t work. Eventually the only answer was not to have polluted in the first place.

Makes you think.

(doesn't make everyone think, though)

Koirhor
Jan 14, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

netizen posted:

My mom's friend works in hospice care in Phoenix. Like she goes to people's houses to help take care of them. Seems like a tough (but vitally important) job under normal circumstances. I wouldn't want to imagine what it would be like during this heat if the power goes out for any significant amount of time. I'd like to assume they have contingency plans for this sort of thing, like taking them someplace with backup power like a hospital but who knows.

the patients will be left to die

Erghh
Sep 24, 2007

"Let him speak!"
https://prospect.org/culture/books/2023-06-02-days-of-plunder-morgenson-rosner-ballou-review/

yeah, not really a biosphere thing but re: the monied overlords

quote:

PRIVATE EQUITY EXTRACTION IS ESPECIALLY BARBARIC in our woebegone health care system, as Morgenson and Rosner most extensively explore. In a wholesale inversion of the Hippocratic oath, tens of thousands of PE-owned rural and inner-city hospitals, dialysis centers, nursing homes, emergency rooms, and psychiatric hospitals ultimately begin to resemble something like landfills of subprime humanity, with the only alternative for many being the soft euthanasia of PE-owned hospice agencies.

The Carlyle Group wanted to pay its investors a billion-dollar dividend, so it pawned the real estate holdings of a nursing home chain, forcing it to cough up a half-billion-dollar yearly rent check, which was managed through savage staffing cuts that likely condemned thousands of elderly Americans to die slowly of dehydration, gangrenous bedsores, and preventable falls even before COVID-19 killed a quarter-million residents nationwide. KKR wanted to extract its own payday from a chain of group homes for developmentally disabled adults that had already been sucked dry by a Canadian private equity firm, so it slashed pay to $8 an hour and told workers that it would have them arrested for patient abandonment if they attempted to leave “early” from open-ended “shifts” that lasted as long as 36 hours. On five separate occasions, Texas health inspectors visited KKR’s facilities to find no staff at all. In a single August 2020 day at one West Virginia group home, three of eight unsupervised residents very nearly killed themselves; the unnamed soul who drank antifreeze and was not hospitalized for nine hours damaged his organs permanently.

warnings for a whole lot of infuriating and needless death and suffering for number

celadon
Jan 2, 2023

how do they advise people to use their cars for AC when the power dies? like it seems obvious that, if you own a car, that it is a mobile AC device, but people arent necessarily thinking straight when these events happen. my understanding is that a lot of the deaths from the bad heat waves in europe earlier in the 2000s would have been preventable if people knew more about what they should do.

and yeah also you dont want people who know that their car has AC to idle in the garage for several hours cause 'that way im out of the sun' so making sure everyones on the same page seems like a good plan

im_sorry
Jan 15, 2006

(9999)
Ultra Carp

Oh good.. if people die from heat, it just means they were too lazy to do this, it's their fault, and we don't have to care.

err
Apr 11, 2005

I carry my own weight no matter how heavy this shit gets...

Taima posted:

what does that mean for Fall/Winter in the U.S.?

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

tfw you're peeing next to someone in the lineup and they don't know

Just a Moron posted:

Sounds like the California drout is over then, what were you doomers so worried about?

I know you're joking, but this gets to the core of a big question I have about the broader El Nino & La Nina system.

1) Climate change appears to be modulating how the system functions in terms of how they affect global circulation. For example, the biggest rain years in California recently have actually been La Ninas, not El Ninos, and correspondingly we've had numerous "dud" El Ninos in the past 20 years that have failed to really show the classic effects on, for example, CA rainfall.

This El Nino is so strong, I feel pretty confident that it will produce the classic effects, but you never know. poo poo's getting kind of weird.

2) I've mentioned this before, but it sure looks like the 97 El Nino was so strong that it brought us into a La Nina dominated system for the last 30 years, which would be part of the reason why we have trended drought in CA (among other reasons).

The burning question imo? If that's true, will this El Nino possibly herald the beginning of another active, rainfall-biased multi year or multi decade era for CA?

So hard to say but there are so many questions right now in terms of how this broader system is being affected. Unfortunately we simply don't have enough historic data to fully understand El Nino and La Nina. The TAO Buoy Array was only established in the 80s (TAO is an array of buoys that exist on the equator and track the water temps there, effectively providing data and early warning for El Nino/La Nina events).

That means we've only had data for under 40 years, which is jack poo poo when ocean oscillations are seemingly measured in decades or more.

err posted:

what does that mean for Fall/Winter in the U.S.?

Generally speaking, El Nino in the USA means a highly strengthened, relatively flat east to west, and southerly displaced jet stream.

Which is to say, generally drier conditions for the northern USA and more precipitation for the southern USA, with greatly strengthened, conveyer-belt like storm corridor and those storms present far further south than normal.

For example, highly increased rainfall in southern CA, correspondingly drier conditions in say the PNW.

Along with completely and utter life changing surfing for California and many non-shadowed parts of Central America.

It also changes the entire world's circulation which means much drier conditions in the normally wet west pacific/maritime continent and a failure of the Indian Monsoon leading to horrible drought, among a million other effects.

However as I said with climate change in the mix, its hard to say exactly how it will all interact, but this El Nino is so strong that I would tend to expect closer to normal effects. In essence it should override climate change to a large degree. That's exactly what El Nino does in general; it's a bull in a china shop. It grabs a desert eagle and robs the rest of the world's circulatory systems and violently has its way with them.

Taima has issued a correction as of 21:24 on Jul 29, 2023

Rectal Death Adept
Jun 20, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Microplastics posted:

Honestly I'm not even sure we're fully out of the "Climate change isn't real" stage yet

there isn't really ever going to be a clear separation like that

We've shifted leftward on the acknowledgement of Climate Change in the past 20 years or so. We went from only the fringe left admitting it's an emergency and the center pretending it doesn't exist to now the only people outright refusing to admit climate change is real are the furthest right fringe stereotypes like flat earthers.

But then Liberals living in full delusion about clean coal, Electric Vehicles, science fiction technology that doesn't actually exist or anyone that tries to smother anxiety and urgency so they don't have to feel it are on the same level as the people denying the situation too. They are arguing that reality isn't real to pretend they live in a different world than this one so it's not much different.

Charlatan Eschaton
Feb 23, 2018

celadon
Jan 2, 2023

i think everyone who knows anythign about whats going on but is still optimistic believes that within a decade or twoo, a cheap and clean and easy and low-energy and scalable way to pull CO2 just out from the air and turn it into big solid carbon cubes will be invented by science. like it is an inevitability that science will rise up to meet the need, whether thats via an increase in funding or an increase in gumption.

everything else just gives us more buffer, so its ok if they're all like lovely half measures. electric cars, renewables, painting the roofs white, meatless mondays, etc. just buys some time for science to do its job

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider

celadon posted:

i think everyone who knows anythign about whats going on but is still optimistic believes that within a decade or twoo, a cheap and clean and easy and low-energy and scalable way to pull CO2 just out from the air and turn it into big solid carbon cubes will be invented by science. like it is an inevitability that science will rise up to meet the need, whether thats via an increase in funding or an increase in gumption.

everything else just gives us more buffer, so its ok if they're all like lovely half measures. electric cars, renewables, painting the roofs white, meatless mondays, etc. just buys some time for science to do its job

love conquers all doomer

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
It already did and they rejected it.

celadon
Jan 2, 2023

RandomBlue posted:

love conquers all doomer

ok so we figured out a way to create the worlds new largest carbon capture facility, almost twice the size of the one in iceland, and get this, the whole operation runs off of the suffering of a single immiserated child

uh huh so we only need to immiserate like seven hundred thousand more children and we'll be cooking with gas, so to speak

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

carbon capture won't work alone, even if it could be scalable.

the oceans will die and then rise to flood this miserable loving world

the animal kingdom might survive but barely

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

I don't really see a situation in which humans all die but any animals survive

It's just gonna be us and whatever animals and plants we are eating

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Communist Thoughts posted:

jellyfish are some crazy poo poo. also there's lots of other sea animals that could *potentially* survive incredible acidification and warming

mostly it depends on how soon the human race is wiped out. if we persist and continue to destroy the environment for more than another century, it'll probably be enough to take down the whole thing

biceps crimes
Apr 12, 2008

it's a CRATER. they're supposed to melt

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Taima posted:

Along with completely and utter life changing surfing for California and many non-shadowed parts of Central America.
As you might expect it also tends to produce epic ski seasons in California. I wonder if that might be derailed this winter by climate change raising snow levels during some of these warm wet storms, leading to mid winter rain events. Particularly in SoCal where the effect is more pronounced and snow levels are more marginal to begin with.

bawfuls has issued a correction as of 22:37 on Jul 29, 2023

celadon
Jan 2, 2023

Communist Thoughts posted:

It's just gonna be us and whatever animals and plants we are eating

i think there wont be anything left thats bigger than a breadbox or so, air land or sea

Gravid Topiary
Feb 16, 2012

lots of poor people like myself have old cars that technically have AC but it doesn't work because the money spent towards recharging or fixing it is more urgently needed buying gas or tires or food

Jokerpilled Drudge
Jan 27, 2010

by Pragmatica
its going to be suitcase psychs and personal AC's all the way

just hope there is enough chew z to go around

Marx Headroom
May 10, 2007

AT LAST! A show with nonono commercials!
Fallen Rib

Fuck You And Diebold
Sep 15, 2004

by Athanatos
:sun:
https://twitter.com/BNONews/status/1685389801241870336?s=20

Hit Man
Mar 6, 2008

I hope after I die people will say of me: "That guy sure owed me a lot of money."

*weatherman voice* Phoenix finally gets relief as rain expected Monday and Tuesday where temperatures will only reach 105°f and 106°f before resuming 112°f to 116°f

Hit Man
Mar 6, 2008

I hope after I die people will say of me: "That guy sure owed me a lot of money."

There's a lot of news of "monsoon rains coming!" and I'm not joking, it's 40% rain for 2 days at 105°f minimum before resuming the heat doming

celadon
Jan 2, 2023

Hit Man posted:

There's a lot of news of "monsoon rains coming!" and I'm not joking, it's 40% rain for 2 days at 105°f minimum before resuming the heat doming

at least the rains will bring some much needed humidity right?

Puppy Burner
Sep 9, 2011

celadon posted:

i think there wont be anything left thats bigger than a breadbox or so, air land or sea

That leaves dozens of sharks 😎

Rauros
Aug 25, 2004

wanna go grub thumping?

RandomBlue posted:

love conquers all doomer

shame the guardian ran this...checks notes...feminist author's opinion on climate change:

We can’t afford to be climate doomers
Rebecca Solnit

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2023/jul/26/we-cant-afford-to-be-climate-doomers
"A lot of people in this society also like certainty and while it’s obviously foolish to be certain we will win, somehow certainty we will lose isn’t subject to the same judgments. That certainty seems to come in part from an assumption that change happens in predictable ways, so we can know the future, or that there are environmental but not social and technological tipping points. But, as the thinktank Carbon Tracker notes “The S-curve is a well-established phenomenon where a successful new technology reaches a certain catalytic tipping point (typically 5-10% market share), and then rapidly reaches a high market share (i.e. 50%+) within just a couple more years once past this tipping point. Solar panels, wind turbines and lithium-ion batteries have all followed such learning curves. Each technology has declined in cost by over 90% in the past two decades. And so their growth has followed an S-curve model.” Change is often not linear but exponential, or it’s unpredictable, like an earthquake releasing centuries of tension. Big changes start small, and history is studded with surprises."

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

you idiots. we will obviously see evolutionary pressure that will cause animals to shrink in size again just like they did between now and the paleogene.

Rauros posted:

shame the guardian ran this...checks notes...feminist author's opinion on climate change:

Rebecca Solnit

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2023/jul/26/we-cant-afford-to-be-climate-doomers
"A lot of people in this society also like certainty and while it’s obviously foolish to be certain we will win, somehow certainty we will lose isn’t subject to the same judgments. That certainty seems to come in part from an assumption that change happens in predictable ways, so we can know the future, or that there are environmental but not social and technological tipping points. But, as the thinktank Carbon Tracker notes “The S-curve is a well-established phenomenon where a successful new technology reaches a certain catalytic tipping point (typically 5-10% market share), and then rapidly reaches a high market share (i.e. 50%+) within just a couple more years once past this tipping point. Solar panels, wind turbines and lithium-ion batteries have all followed such learning curves. Each technology has declined in cost by over 90% in the past two decades. And so their growth has followed an S-curve model.” Change is often not linear but exponential, or it’s unpredictable, like an earthquake releasing centuries of tension. Big changes start small, and history is studded with surprises."

this is literally an argument someone posted in this thread a while ago

Koirhor
Jan 14, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
last time I was in phoenix I watched it rain and basically evaporate before hitting us from what I could tell. that was 2009

RIP Syndrome
Feb 24, 2016

Rauros posted:

Rebecca Solnit

It's impossible for solar panels and wind turbines to reach 5-10% (i.e. 50%+) market share. Proof: they're outdoors

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Rauros posted:

Rebecca Solnit

that's the least convincing poo poo I've ever read, even if I didn't know everything I know

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

someone from my academic past asked me today to level with him about my best advice

take cover

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Confusedslight
Jan 9, 2020
Thank you Rebecca