Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

spiritual bypass
Feb 19, 2008

Grimey Drawer
also thr tax revenue from a parking lot is way less than filling the same space with even the shittiest of shops

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

spiritual bypass posted:

also thr tax revenue from a parking lot is way less than filling the same space with even the shittiest of shops

yeah one of the things that kinda opened my eyes from Shoup's writing on "the cost of free parking" was... the cost of turning land into a parking space, when it could be used for literally anything else

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Megamissen posted:

i havent had any bad experiences with drivers but part of that, aside from luck and living in a less car-brained country, is probably that i wear normal clothes when cycling
from talking to a co-worker who has had a lot of bad experiences, seeing a cyklist in cycling clothes seems to make drivers go insane

high-vis and helmets make cyclists less likely to be perceived as human

https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S1369847823001018#f0010

nomad2020
Jan 30, 2007

I wouldn't personally wear Lycra, but I don't think you're less human for it. I promise.

I wonder if this is applicable to construction workers :smith:

Irony.or.Death
Apr 1, 2009

the only kind of high viz that would possibly make a positive difference in this country is a rifle slung over your shoulder

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

Irony.or.Death posted:

the only kind of high viz that would possibly make a positive difference in this country is a rifle slung over your shoulder

If you will be carrying it on a bike then you will want to wrap it with some reflective tape also.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Rifle would take too long to unsling. Mount a gun on the handlebars like a technical or like it's WW2, or open carry a pistol on your left side so it's most visible to drivers. Then it's a real threat even if they hit you.

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Lager beer is proof that god loves us
Pillbug
You need a cargo bike with a Maxim gun team in the back.

corona familiar
Aug 13, 2021

panniers full of thumbtacks

fermun
Nov 4, 2009

Cup Runneth Over posted:

Rifle would take too long to unsling. Mount a gun on the handlebars like a technical or like it's WW2, or open carry a pistol on your left side so it's most visible to drivers. Then it's a real threat even if they hit you.

this but on a cargo bike

Mauser
Dec 16, 2003

How did I even get here, son?!

corona familiar posted:

panniers full of thumbtacks

Didn't someone say they rode around with a pocket full of rocks?

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Does no one in portland own a slingshot? How does this guy still have intact car windows?

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

Mauser posted:

Didn't someone say they rode around with a pocket full of rocks?

im not sure i said it here but it was a timbuk2 bag and yes, i had folks try to swerve into me or jokingly threaten it intentionally multiple times (like they would do it then slow down then do it again) and I needed a better way to be defensive toward that

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

ALSO ALSO, who the gently caress counter protest but doesn't block the other lanes? Make the loving cops show their asses.

mystes posted:

other places like paris have also made great strides but that requires a consensus that cars shouldn't have priority in cities
Paris is kind of a special case where the mayor decided cars can get hosed, and acts accordingly.

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

Irony.or.Death posted:

Someone in another thread IIRC posted about riding to the range with his rifle and said that it was the only time drivers gave him a wide berth.

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

Someone in another thread IIRC posted about riding to the range with his rifle and said that it was the only time drivers gave him a wide berth.

i feel like this was recent and that there was a pic

mystes
May 31, 2006

evil_bunnY posted:

Does no one in portland own a slingshot? How does this guy still have intact car windows?
Because they don't want to be shot?

Jokerpilled Drudge
Jan 27, 2010

by Pragmatica
ironically a car would have tactically been the most effective way to combat people blockading the bike lanes

cool av
Mar 2, 2013

mystes posted:

Strong Towns is run by a conservative and I think it's essentially aimed at people involved in planning in local municipalities and responding to the idea that car-centric development focused around big box stores is good because it will bring in tax revenue by saying "actually this poo poo costs a ton to maintain and it's going to bankrupt you eventually so it's unsustainable."

This makes sense and I agree it’s good even if not entirely convincing in its methods to me

lobster shirt posted:

the point strong towns makes is that it's not just the roads that car centric infrastructure makes unsustainable but the whole pattern of development - water, sewer, gas, electricity are all too expensive to deliver given the revenues that can reasonably be extracted from that same area. yeah the roads are going to get really lovely but you'll also end up with undrinkable water, sewage pipes that break constantly, power outages, flooding if you need to have flood defense stuff in the area, none of it can work.

Right, but the people living in the unsustainable burbs are presumably working and providing value somewhere else. Like it wouldn’t surprise me if a high density residential district in an urban area also was ‘unsustainable’ and didn’t bring in property taxes enough to pay for the services provided.

If the high density residential zone happens to be “part of” an overall sustainable city for financial/government purposes, and the low density burbs aren’t — that doesn’t really matter to me personally and seems kind of arbitrary. But I see how it would matter to planners for those municipalities like mystes says

RadiRoot
Feb 3, 2007

Cup Runneth Over posted:

high-vis and helmets make cyclists less likely to be perceived as human

https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S1369847823001018#f0010

im lycra gray/black so i should be dead

Jokerpilled Drudge
Jan 27, 2010

by Pragmatica

RadiRoot posted:

im lycra gray/black so i should be dead

better dead than fred m8

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

if super conductors are real they better float the drat cars over the street and give ground level back to the people. i guess being crushed by a dude parking on you would still be bad but maybe thats less newtons of force than being run over.

evil_bunnY posted:

slingshots are regulated as weapons so if you are gonna do a felony and shoot at someone for political reasons dont do it like dennis the menance rogue 6 year old style cause you are a grown rear end goon and are still going to jail big time and ms. wilsons chiding cant save you.

Real hurthling! has issued a correction as of 14:46 on Aug 2, 2023

Groda
Mar 17, 2005

Hair Elf

Jokerpilled Drudge posted:

better dead than fred m8

Megamissen
Jul 19, 2022

any post can be a kannapost
if you want it to be

cool av posted:

This makes sense and I agree it’s good even if not entirely convincing in its methods to me

Right, but the people living in the unsustainable burbs are presumably working and providing value somewhere else. Like it wouldn’t surprise me if a high density residential district in an urban area also was ‘unsustainable’ and didn’t bring in property taxes enough to pay for the services provided.

If the high density residential zone happens to be “part of” an overall sustainable city for financial/government purposes, and the low density burbs aren’t — that doesn’t really matter to me personally and seems kind of arbitrary. But I see how it would matter to planners for those municipalities like mystes says

with a lot of infrastructure like sewers the cost per meter is largely the same regarless of use, 50 meters of sewer servicing a suburban street costs about the same to maintain as 50 meters servicing a street full of apartment buildings

therefor the cost of infrastucture per resident is way higher in the suburbs
another issue is that while the economic value of a suburb to a city falls over time the maintenance costs goes up

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

cool av posted:

high density residential will attract economic activity tho while diffuse suburbs maybe get a bank branch drive thru, fast food joint drive thru, and one walmart super center for the whole county

webcams for christ
Nov 2, 2005

pictured: Fred

e: og fred also mounted a holster to his frame

webcams for christ has issued a correction as of 14:53 on Aug 2, 2023

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

webcams for christ posted:

Fred is my loving hero. Carried his bike on his shoulders across the goddamn Alps. Have you read Around the World on a Bicycle?

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
https://twitter.com/sigmamalefreud/status/1686526288415121408?t=ZNRaphGx90gZWDcFBY2Vhw&s=19

RadiRoot
Feb 3, 2007

:lmao: i need spider bot

RadiRoot has issued a correction as of 17:19 on Aug 2, 2023

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

lol

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

Jokerpilled Drudge posted:

better dead than fred m8

Right said

Skinnymansbeerbelly
Apr 1, 2010

webcams for christ posted:

There's got to be at least one hipster out there who has mounted an auto & burglar to the frame

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

raggedphoto posted:

This thread rules and I had no idea it existed until it was linked in the bike commuting thread. I use to love cars but the more I learn about car culture, infrastructure and law the more I can't stand them, the added street racing, street takeovers and straight piped cars I am starting to hate them. "The War on Cars" podcast has been helpful to understand how we ended up with a car centric society that values drivers/cars over literal human life in a studied and cohesive way. I bike to work everyday and mostly find it pleasant, I am lucky that my 14 mile commute is mostly protected from traffic but still have run ins now and then with rear end in a top hat drivers. It's maddening how uncaring drivers are that they could end life with the jerk of a wheel or by checking their instagram while driving.

This may have been posted already but look at this poo poo stain of a person:

https://bikeportland.org/2023/07/03/protestor-blocks-bus-and-bike-lanes-on-division-with-his-car-376795

quote:

But after our chat, and in a moment of joy from making a communication breakthrough with someone who just hours prior I was yelling at and being ignored by, I tweeted a selfie with Philbrick. I thought it would be helpful, but many people were offended and shocked that I would sanitize a guy who showed up to a protest against a bike lane with a gun. It was a careless mistake I should not have made, and I have since deleted all the tweets about it.

Lmao that’s the Portland I know and love, bike Portland guy has to apologize for a loving selfie

mystes
May 31, 2006

HashtagGirlboss posted:

Lmao that’s the Portland I know and love, bike Portland guy has to apologize for a loving selfie
I don't think it's bad to expect that he not take a selfie to show what a great guy the insane anti-bike lane guy who pointed a gun at him was just because the guy ended up talking to him for a couple minutes without murdering him

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

mystes posted:

I don't think it's bad to expect that he not take a selfie to show what a great guy the insane anti-bike lane guy who pointed a gun at him was just because the guy ended up talking to him for a couple minutes without murdering him

I think it’s missing the forest for the trees and completely doesn’t matter and the performative outrage and scolding is a waste of time

RadiRoot
Feb 3, 2007
cop car nearby had an oopsie the other night.

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

RadiRoot posted:

cop car nearby had an oopsie the other night.

When they roll over like that and show you their belly it’s a sign of submission, give it a tummy rub :blush:

raggedphoto
May 10, 2008

I'd like to shoot you

HashtagGirlboss posted:

Yeah people freaking out about the selfie really focused in on the wrong thing, I am all for not bothsidesing when it comes to assholes who pull guns on people but whatever.

Edit: I find it funny that the time this guy wasted just standing by his car probably far exceeds any additional drive time he now has because of the bus/bike lane.

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

I'm the bully bars that get casually torn off lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jokerpilled Drudge
Jan 27, 2010

by Pragmatica

raggedphoto posted:

Yeah people freaking out about the selfie really focused in on the wrong thing, I am all for not bothsidesing when it comes to assholes who pull guns on people but whatever.

Edit: I find it funny that the time this guy wasted just standing by his car probably far exceeds any additional drive time he now has because of the bus/bike lane.

Jonathon maus rules but his one failing(or strength?) is how nice he is to the people who treat him the worst