Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

You can say gently caress once on PG13, but not a sexual way. So mother fucker is not allowed.

Some pg13 movies get away with two fucks but never a mother fucker

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

If more Allen is true, then I appreciate that. He was a great addition.

TheGreySpectre
Sep 18, 2012

You let the wolves in. Why would you do that?

Halisnacks posted:

There is inevitably going to be at least one terrible sequel, right? I feel there shouldn’t be, but the logic of capitalism and milking IP demands it. I hope Gerwig, Robbie, and Gosling all opt out.

Probably. If nothing else they've announced a ridiculous amount of other films based on other mattel IP. Hotwheels movie, Uno Movie, Bob the builder movie, Magic 8 ball movie. No, I'm not joking about any of these.

It's been weird watching "Kenergy" and "Kenough" gain a bunch of popularity. When I watched the film, I saw Ken as the embodiment of every alt-right incel fuckhead who turned their misogyny up to 11 because someone said no when they were asked out on a date. Or every "Nice guy" who feels they are owed a relationship/sex because they do the bare minimum society expects. I very much saw Ken as I guy I didn't want to be or associate with. A small amount of ( what I would consider extremely basic) self realization at the end didn't make me hate the character, or what he represented to me any less.

TheGreySpectre fucked around with this message at 19:13 on Aug 3, 2023

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Looking forward to all the mink coat lightning bandana Kencels this Halloween

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

Wolfsheim posted:

Characters give relatable speeches about feminism or mansplaining, but you're not really supposed to do anything with that information, in the same way you're not really supposed to do anything with the information that Ricky Bobby likes the infant version of Jesus the best in Talledega Nights other than chuckle at the absurdity. Its just in service of a funny gag.

You’ve come to a sort of backwards conclusion here. The joke with Ricky Bobby preferring the infant Jesus is that he’s rejecting the adult Jesus did all that intensely political stuff. And, you know, that’s in the context of Ricky Bobby being basically this parodic avatar of American conservative culture.

Even if some gags in Barbie were created thoughtlessly/randomly (which is highly unlikely), nothing in the film is ‘just’ random because it’s automatically part of the structure of the narrative.

So, as pointed out earlier, Gloria’s Tumblr speech is literally directed inward, at herself - the audience is made up of fantasy characters in her head. The point of the scene is Gloria’s realization that the childhood Barbie fantasy that had enormous influence over her life was inadequate, and so she is now updating the fantasy to let her function more effectively as a worker, as a mother, etc..

So, while there is that therapeutic effect and she’s no longer suffering as much anxiety - which is aight - it also means Gloria is no longer dissatisfied with her assigned roles and is able to resume her place in the system.

Likewise, there’s no contradiction between Ferrel being mildly against Kendom and his profit motive. He’s just a liberal!

The basic plot of the film is that the empowerment fantasy Ferrel was selling to girls is (to Gloria) “too perfect”: Barbies never face obstacles or conflict in Barbieland, and that leaves Barbie kids mentally unprepared for adulthood. Then, the ultimate ‘solution’ is Gloria’s proposal that they might start selling Ordinary Barbies, who face minor inconveniences. “My shirt doesn’t quite fit properly” Barbie, or whatever.

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021
I like that the barbies win by being shrews and not letting the kens vote. Voter suppression is totally cool!

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Tankbuster posted:

I like that the barbies win by being shrews and not letting the kens vote. Voter suppression is totally cool!
If you want a matriarchy, you're going to have to break a few eggs.

Somebody upthread mentioned this already, but the contrast between Ryan Gosling on press tour and Ken is very funny in retrospect. Ryan is sweetly talking about Kenergy and being Kenough, and then Ken's kind of an rear end in a top hat doofus.

e: Actors are not their characters, duh. I'm merely pointing out that Ryan LIED TO US about what Kenergy actually turned out to be. Betrayal is painful.

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

You’ve come to a sort of backwards conclusion here.

ok fine i hate you again is that what you want SMG!

Polo-Rican
Jul 4, 2004

emptyquote my posts or die

Tankbuster posted:

That's not really what happens at all... the Kens could vote, they just forget to because they're fighting a Ken civil war. And yeah, the Barbies helped sparked that civil war, but imho it still reads as the kens causing their own downfall by succumbing to their toxic masculine traits absurdly easily

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.

Polo-Rican posted:

That's not really what happens at all... the Kens could vote, they just forget to because they're fighting a Ken civil war. And yeah, the Barbies helped sparked that civil war, but imho it still reads as the kens causing their own downfall by succumbing to their toxic masculine traits absurdly easily

I thought how they ended up doing it was kind of lame, as they were like "We'll turn the patriarchy against itself" so I thought that instead of playing dumb relationship games they'd split the base, seed the idea that "Yeah, kens will rule, but why does BEACH Ken get to the president? Surely lifeguard ken/surfer ken/construction worker ken would be better!" and let them fracture as they argued over which man would rule, and the women would band together under a unified vote. What they ended up doing had very little to do with the patriarchy and was more about monogamous relationships.

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021

Arsenic Lupin posted:

If you want a matriarchy, you're going to have to break a few eggs.

Somebody upthread mentioned this already, but the contrast between Ryan Gosling on press tour and Ken is very funny in retrospect. Ryan is sweetly talking about Kenergy and being Kenough, and then Ken's kind of an rear end in a top hat doofus.

e: Actors are not their characters, duh. I'm merely pointing out that Ryan LIED TO US about what Kenergy actually turned out to be. Betrayal is painful.

no, I get that, and ken being exposed to patriarchy and his neurons being activated is the highlight of the movie for me. The first dance number was mediocre but the second one was actually good.

Polo-Rican posted:

Dunno, maybe I saw it in a country where the vast majority was explicitly not allowed to vote until the very end of the cold war The barbies winning by essentially packing voting booths and cheering felt really bizarre to me.

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021

Metis of the Hallway posted:

Oh my god can we talk less about putting Barbie in a tier list of important feminist films and more about how more modern films need choreographed dance sequences? That's what I think the takeaway should be from Barbie. Give me at least two solid dance scenes per movie or I'm walking out.

theres entire film industries that make movies with intricately choreographed dance sequences.

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

More like "Bulges Adventure"

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

You’ve come to a sort of backwards conclusion here. The joke with Ricky Bobby preferring the infant Jesus is that he’s rejecting the adult Jesus did all that intensely political stuff. And, you know, that’s in the context of Ricky Bobby being basically this parodic avatar of American conservative culture.

Never thought of it that way, but it fits the theme of taking on American conservative culture (win above all else, worship capitalism, failing is unforgivable, the fear that Patrick Duffy will seduce your wife away).

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

Polo-Rican posted:

The Barbies specifically orchestrate voter suppression campaign to distract the Kens from voting so they can take back control. But it's fine, because the Barbies are nicer dictators I guess.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

Cojawfee posted:

The Barbies specifically orchestrate voter suppression campaign to distract the Kens from voting so they can take back control. But it's fine, because the Barbies are nicer dictators I guess.

Diegetically it’s ‘fine’ because it’s just Gloria’s private fantasy of dominance.

That’s kind-of the trick the movie pulls with Barbieland: it has no actual relation to reality except as a mechanism for Gloria to cope with her boring life or whatever. So, because Ken represents Gloria’s attitudes towards men, ‘his’ personal growth is consequently actually Gloria’s.

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021

Cojawfee posted:

barbies accidentally creating the same political structure of apartheid south africa is an excellent bit. Just don't know if its intentional.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
I just saw it again cause my friend hadn't been yet. Played just as well the second time, what a movie

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

You cannot escape this movie. I just got mail from my favorite nursery advertising all their pink or magenta flowers for your Dream Garden <= in Barbie font.

Halisnacks
Jul 18, 2009

Cojawfee posted:

The narrator line about how we shouldn’t worry because the Kens will eventually achieve the same power/influence as women have in the real world is what saves all this. If we are angry about political power and civic subjugation in the fantasy Barbieland, we should examine how the real world is organised.

AvesPKS
Sep 26, 2004

I don't dance unless I'm totally wasted.
I'm just laughing picturing Ken as the protagonist of Only God Forgives. Or Half Nelson. Or Drive. He's not exactly Gary Oldman, disappearing into his roles.

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen

AvesPKS posted:

I'm just laughing picturing Ken as the protagonist of Only God Forgives. Or Half Nelson. Or Drive. He's not exactly Gary Oldman, disappearing into his roles.

Cessna
Feb 20, 2013

KHABAHBLOOOM

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
Lol

Farg
Nov 19, 2013

Lil Mama Im Sorry posted:

My take is that the movie is good enough that we can like it without trying to justify its quality by virtue of its political importance. Imo the Speech felt very Prime Time TV feminism and that was further solidified by it being delivered by the star of Ugly Betty, but I don’t think that discounts the film at all (and I don’t mean that as an insult to anyone that enjoyed it). To me, given the character’s class position, it’s fitting that she would earnestly fantasize that that Speech would carry the importance it does in Barbieland. It’s the ultimate triumph of the therapeutic, which is extremely fitting because it reflects our current political predicament irl. I feel helpless but maybe if I craft the perfect post, and enough people see it, it could raise consciousness and influence The Conversation. It’s called Doing the Work.

But I think it’s interesting that, in the film, that has no effect on the real world they eventually return to. They were able to stop the dominance of Kendom over Barbieland, but that’s it. Which is fine, because in the most optimistic sense it at least brought a mother and daughter closer, and I imagine that effect rippled into the theater audiences. But symbolically I don’t think it goes much farther than reconciling Nancy Pelosi (the mom) with AOC (the seemingly more radical daughter).

With Barbie becoming human though, I wonder if the family showed her how to maneuver the HealthCare Marketplace before her appointment or if they were so excited they forgot that she needs a way to pay for her gynecologist visit.

Anyways, great movie.

Nancy pelosi didn't play the mom

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

Halisnacks posted:

The narrator line about how we shouldn’t worry because the Kens will eventually achieve the same power/influence as women have in the real world is what saves all this. If we are angry about political power and civic subjugation in the fantasy Barbieland, we should examine how the real world is organised.

Agreed, and I want to recognize the early scene dunking on corporations as people with free speech. As in, I'm glad a giant audience was briefly reminded of a terrible concept that's a real facet of American life and needs to be dismantled.

Extra row of tits
Oct 31, 2020
Exactly how much of a incel do you need to be to actually believe the Barbies ran some dictator style super plan to keep the men down in a comedy move about idealised toys for girls and the boy dolls are painfully obvious exaggerated stereotypes?

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

:perfect:

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

Halisnacks posted:

I don't know if it really saves anything, because the Kens are still powerless now. It seems like a lot of people are coming at this from the perspective that it's ok to oppress the Kens because men have power in the real world, where the Kens don't live. But don't worry, one day they might have some power.

Megera
Sep 9, 2008
Liked the movie a lot, but based on the hype, I was definitely expecting an Everything Everywhere All at Once level of feminist commentary that would leave me a sobbing mess, so I'll definitely like it more on a rewatch.

My biggest issue with the movie was that That Speech either needed to be shortened (for the many Online people who have heard it so many times before), or just filmed it in one long take to make it land. But you could hear the Frankensteining of dialogue getting pieced together any time Gloria wasn't on screen, and I could just tell it was a speech that had to be rewritten over and over to address the exec notes from WBD and Mattel until the wording was Just Perfect, so you obviously couldn't have America Ferrera keep coming in to film one long take before the performance lost its energy.

What I'm saying is exec meddling sucks.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

Extra row of tits posted:

Exactly how much of a incel do you need to be to actually believe the Barbies ran some dictator style super plan to keep the men down in a comedy move about idealised toys for girls and the boy dolls are painfully obvious exaggerated stereotypes?

Don’t cede “understanding the plot of a film” to the incels.

Lil Mama Im Sorry
Oct 14, 2012

I'M BACK AND I'M SCARIN' WHITE FOLKS

Farg posted:

Nancy pelosi didn't play the mom

check imdb

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔

Cojawfee posted:

I don't know if it really saves anything, because the Kens are still powerless now. It seems like a lot of people are coming at this from the perspective that it's ok to oppress the Kens because men have power in the real world, where the Kens don't live. But don't worry, one day they might have some power.
The fact that this is not a good solution for the Kens is precisely the point. The movie blatantly states "in a darkly ironic twist, Kens will go back to being oppressed and maybe we will manage to make them slightly less oppressed but still very powerless" while putting a finger in the deep wound of equality in the real world being not solved no matter how many feminist speeches a mainstream movie is allowed to make. Barbie leaves Barbieland because while the real world sucks, Barbieland sucks more!

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

Where’s her keychain? This is lesbian erasure!

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen
Pure.

Marketing.

Synergy.

Lobster Henry
Jul 10, 2012

studious as a butterfly in a parking lot

Wait til you see the film “Barbie” (2023) and get a load of the jokes about Zack Snyder and the propensity of many men to drone on about the godfather. You’re gonna be so mad!!

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021
the snydercut joke was barely even there, just a weirdly placed punctuation mark right after uglybetty helldumped so hard that the patriarchy broke.

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

Lobster Henry posted:

Wait til you see the film “Barbie” (2023) and get a load of the jokes about Zack Snyder and the propensity of many men to drone on about the godfather. You’re gonna be so mad!!

It's a joke based on this series of posts from up thread:

L.H.O.O.Q. posted:

Fury Road, for all its right on political satire and feminism, visually worked on massive car chases, chrome, a guy shredding guitar riffs hooked up to a truck, empowered female characters who also happen to be models who also happen to not be wearing very much. There is such a thing as gendered aesthetics.

I’d say even Hidden Figures treads a ‘normal’ aesthetic line in the telling of the story and the setting of it that comes from a history of countless films about a minority character overcoming prejudice. That history of films is almost exclusively male in its tropes of story and feel. Colours, architecture, film grades, what have you, are gender coded. 70mm film is male coded. The Barbie movie starts in a colour saturated full physical set of actual Barbie houses and stays that blunt throughout. Whatever else, I can’t think of another massive blockbuster that’s done it that full on before.

They were kind enough to answer my question on why 70mm film is "male coded," though.

L.H.O.O.Q. posted:

Sure. 70mm is used as a technical shorthand for the supposed importance and depth of the film. It’s technical dick swinging, similar to audiophile pure silver speaker cables and the like. That kind of craftsmanship fetishism tends to be reserved for male ‘auteurs’. A female director can use 70mm, sure, but in that they would be taking on a masculine aesthetic role.

These things are changeable and boundaries move over time of course.

Nightmare Cinema
Apr 4, 2020

no.

Bogus Adventure posted:

They were kind enough to answer my question on why 70mm film is "male coded," though.

Bro what the gently caress

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010
The masculine urge to shoot a movie in 70mm

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

L.H.O.O.Q.
Jan 3, 2013

:coal:
Yeah, and upthread I also point out that the Barbie movie is making the same point. The Godfather, Matchbox Twenty, mini fridges, beer, financial know-how, are all jokingly assigned as masculine things. Everyone has a good laugh and recognises some cultural ‘truth’ to that. It’s a comfortable joke because the presentation of those things is done in a silly funny way. I was just giving another example outside of the Barbie movie.

Oppenheimer, opening the same day, is basically The Godfather here. The ‘serious’ masculine film to Barbie’s frothy feminine fantasy. Anyway, if we have a laugh and accept a dumb cultural thing that the Godfather is a thing that men love to go on about and explain the genius of etc we can ask ‘why the Godfather’ and a lot of that will come down to aesthetics. ‘70mm is a masculine aesthetic’ is of course almost an absurdity, but we can probably accept that ‘man walking away in slow motion from a massive explosion’ is a masculine aesthetic decision. The guy thing montage could have included a lot of other things, and droning on about the superiority of 70mm film, I would argue, could well have been one of those.