Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: skooma512)

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

Consolidated Ed posted:

as a millennial, the notion of owning a home is downright exotic to me. i can't imagine having the resources to do that, even though i'm a college graduate with a full-time job.

DINKs can afford cars and houses but the breeders are screwed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

anonumos
Jul 14, 2005

Fuck it.

Nothus posted:

I'm okay with Zuck kicking Elon's rear end

I'm ok with Carrot Top climbing out of the crowd to stomp them both.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Consolidated Ed posted:

as a millennial, the notion of owning a home is downright exotic to me. i can't imagine having the resources to do that, even though i'm a college graduate with a full-time job.

i know two millennials who are homeowners: one dude got his mom to pay the down payment, and he pays the mortgage, and the other dude got a house as a wedding present, because his wife's dad is a rich lawyer.

i'm even approaching the point where i'm thinking i'll never own a new car. how could i possibly afford one? i don't go anywhere or do anything expensive, and yet i still break even every single month. my gf bought her toyota a decade ago, and i'm thinking we'll be keeping that for another decade at this rate.

around 50% of millennials are homeowners now. a lot of them inherited wealth/property or their parents/grandparents put up money for the down payment, and people aren't exactly forthcoming about that aspect of things

if you didn't get a bunch of support from your parents then you're in bootstraps territory (i.e. hosed)

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

Shipon posted:

burger quality is basically inversely proportional to price. every fancy restaurant burger sucks

this is decidedly untrue, there are burgers in the $16 to $24 range that are worth every penny

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

Vox Nihili posted:

Maybe this is ruining the fun but I don't think 4,000 calories a day is all that crazy if you're doing a bunch of strenuous exercise, you burn off the excess in just a few hours of real, hard work

it’s not but slamming a bunch of McDonald’s when you have a private chef is one odd way to get those calories.

netizen
Jun 25, 2023
McDonald's hamburgs have a certain je ne sais quoi. There's just something about them that keeps me coming back. Their fries are good too. I don't like restaurant hamburgs that you have to cut with a knife and unhinge your jaw to eat.

ProperGanderPusher
Jan 13, 2012

Vox Nihili posted:

around 50% of millennials are homeowners now. a lot of them inherited wealth/property or their parents/grandparents put up money for the down payment, and people aren't exactly forthcoming about that aspect of things

if you didn't get a bunch of support from your parents then you're in bootstraps territory (i.e. hosed)

I know one guy who lived extremely frugally and socked away enough cash and did well enough with stonks that he was able to scoop up a starter home in rural east TN right before rates blew up. As far as I know, he did it completely on his own.

Another friend bought a complete piece of poo poo fixer at 0% down from someone he knew and has worked his rear end off and drained his bank account making it look halfway decent. Also before rates exploded.

Everyone else had help from parents and/or makes fat stacks from their banker/developer/doctor type job. Usually both.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

netizen posted:

McDonald's hamburgs have a certain je ne sais quoi. There's just something about them that keeps me coming back.

It's the chemicals, scientifically engineered to tickle the pleasure centers of the brain.

Laterite
Mar 14, 2007

It's Gutfest '89
Grimey Drawer

a_gelatinous_cube posted:

I am constantly pummeling the bottom with those giant ice balls from plowing.

dudes rock

pnumoman
Sep 26, 2008

I never get the last word, and it makes me very sad.

post hole digger posted:

it’s not but slamming a bunch of McDonald’s when you have a private chef is one odd way to get those calories.

I can definitely believe zucc just gets his driver to hit up the drive thru at McDonald's after his whatever MMA session instead of waiting to get back to his private chef

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

Relevant Tangent posted:

this is decidedly untrue, there are burgers in the $16 to $24 range that are worth every penny

complete bullshit and it’s embarrassing to read this; it is absolutely impossible for 4 hamburgers to cost $100

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

i am harry posted:

complete bullshit and it’s embarrassing to read this; it is absolutely impossible for 4 hamburgers to cost $100

Now that's Bidenomics

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider

i am harry posted:

Tsitsikovas
Aug 2, 2023
gotta include the $3-5 sodas

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Subvisual Haze posted:

A normal non-inverted yield curve should offer higher yields for longer durations as a time premium, however short duration (<1 year) t-bills are currently around 5.5% interest, yet 30 year bonds are still only offering ~4.1%. That's probably a low supply issue, if the treasury actually tried to sell a large number of 30year bonds that would probably reveal/drive up the 30year rates to ~6% and this would do 2 things:

1) bank problems due to banks previously buying 30 year notes at 1-2% interest. When current 30 year bonds are offering 6% interest, those old 1-2% bonds will be a huge unrealized loss on their books. The feds would likely need to bail out a lot more banks because the face value of their book assets will poo poo the bed.

2) the government's balance sheet will be a disaster too if they "lock in" long term debt at current rates. Having >$30 trillion in debt when you could borrow at 1-2% interest, is a whole different beast than at 6% interest. At napkin math that would be ~$2 trillion in just paying off interest every year. Compare that to the yearly total budget of $6.2 trillion.

So you're saying Yellen is very carefully balancing a pyramid of extremely fragile porcelain cards that could render the government insolvent if she fucks up?

That owns

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY
Just print more. The dollar is the reserve currency. :newfap:

8323_2
Aug 4, 2023

https://www.tiktok.com/embed/7210510786819607850

AvesPKS
Sep 26, 2004

I don't dance unless I'm totally wasted.

cool av posted:

to everyone who wants to buy ever bigger cars for “grandma capacity”, “ground clearance”, or “fun transmission” please re evaluate what u are doing

No mid-size sedans accommodate 3 car seats.

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

one time I signed up with a staffing agency because I wasn’t making much money tattooing and the only job they offered was an hour away, $13/hr tech support for Red Robin :cripes:

AvesPKS
Sep 26, 2004

I don't dance unless I'm totally wasted.
"That drowning toddler? No no you've got it all wrong, he has bodily autonomy and we must respect his wishes."

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

pnumoman posted:

I can definitely believe zucc just gets his driver to hit up the drive thru at McDonald's after his whatever MMA session instead of waiting to get back to his private chef

i also dont think hes going out to train! hes doing that poo poo on his compound and sending his driver out for mcd's

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

Mr Hootington posted:

Just print more. The dollar is the reserve currency. :newfap:
this is what MMT perverts think

i hope the dollar crashes

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

imo printing more dollars with the expectation that everyone would buy them forever probably would have kept working a little longer if the sanctions on russia didn't involve stealing all of russia's dollars

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

Just print trillion dollar bills and cap prices at current values.

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Shear Modulus posted:

imo printing more dollars with the expectation that everyone would buy them forever probably would have kept working a little longer if the sanctions on russia didn't involve stealing all of russia's dollars

The best and brightest are on the case

pnumoman
Sep 26, 2008

I never get the last word, and it makes me very sad.

post hole digger posted:

i also dont think hes going out to train! hes doing that poo poo on his compound and sending his driver out for mcd's

I dunno, I think his MMA sessions are his version of slumming it, and going to a sweaty gym for private lessons and spars with people in the normal class is part of the appeal for him. Pure guess on my part obviously

Antonymous
Apr 4, 2009

Xaris posted:

this is what MMT perverts think

i hope the dollar crashes

mmt is basically the belief that capitalism can sustain if a force countervailing to wealth accumulation is implemented. Tax and spend liberal but taken as an existential necessity

Subvisual Haze
Nov 22, 2003

The building was on fire and it wasn't my fault.

Shear Modulus posted:

That and if you're going to wage economic warfare on Russia, it would probably be wise to have the Saudis 100% on your side to prevent an energy shock.

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

i am harry posted:

$16 before fries or drink, worth every penny

Antonymous
Apr 4, 2009

we all laughed when Erdogan said higher intrest causes inflation, how fast the thread has c ome around

Father Wendigo
Sep 28, 2005
This is, sadly, more important to me than bettering myself.

Relevant Tangent posted:

DINKs can afford cars and houses but the breeders are screwed.

The American sitcom figured out the solution to this conundrum by having the low income breeder couple crash at the DINK household. As an added benefit the DINKs became DIYKs after approximately four seasons, a 100% increase in fodder for the grinder!

Now what's this 'code enforcement' fella doing at my front door that requires being backed up by an entire SWAT detachment?

Fleetwood
Mar 26, 2010

biggest hochul head in china

Animal-Mother posted:

My work buddy's father just died and the office doesn't want to give him time off.

that's hosed up

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Animal-Mother posted:

My work buddy's father just died and the office doesn't want to give him time off.

Not even death will set you free

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry
died and ended up commuting 3 hours stuck in traffic along the river styx each way to my office hell data entry job

wynott dunn
Aug 9, 2006

What is to be done?

Who or what can challenge, and stand a chance at beating, the corporate juggernauts dominating the world?

SKULL.GIF posted:

Not even death will set you free

err
Apr 11, 2005

I carry my own weight no matter how heavy this shit gets...
i remember trying to get bereavement leave for a family member that was like a parent to me but they denied it because it wasn't 'immediate' family

Shipon
Nov 7, 2005

Relevant Tangent posted:

this looks like loving garbage, that bun is way too big and fluffy looking

Oglethorpe
Aug 8, 2005

if you're gonna spend $15 on a burger you might as well get a stuffed torta

insane clown pussy
Jun 20, 2023

Relevant Tangent posted:

looks like greasy poo poo, op

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

https://www.nytimes.com/2023/08/02/opinion/trump-meritocracy-educated.html?smid=nytcore-ios-share&referringSource=articleShare