Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting

Skull Servant posted:

You're advocating for a way of life to be completely eradicated because you are self-absorbed enough to believe that it is inherently invalid because you have had a couple of bad run ins. Cop yourself on.

Look I just don't think landlords should be allowed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!
I've come to the conclusion that Eddie Izzard and Paul Mason are tragically desperate to become Labour MPs for reasons best known only to themselves and I'm sure the huge salary doesn't come into it.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

I've come to the conclusion that Eddie Izzard and Paul Mason are tragically desperate to become Labour MPs for reasons best known only to themselves and I'm sure the huge salary doesn't come into it.

I don't think Eddie izzard needs like 80k or whatever it is.

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

what keeps happening to my clothes

"if you let me speak-"
"speak. defend it."
[she begins to speak for a few words until he cuts out what she says]

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

Ah. We’re off on round 2 are we?

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

It's in the social contract that you're allowed to push him out of a window if he turns up gobbing off like that.

DreddyMatt
Nov 25, 2002
MY LACK OF KNOWLEDGE OF CURRENT EVENTS IS EXCEEDED ONLY BY MY UNQUENCHABLE THIRST FOR PISS. FUK U AMERIKKKA!!

Skull Servant posted:

You're advocating for a way of life to be completely eradicated because you are self-absorbed enough to believe that it is inherently invalid because you have had a couple of bad run ins. Cop yourself on.

As has happened countless times before.
We weren't all always city dwelling computer touchers, but society changed and so did people's way of life.

Having groups of people roll up into town and set up camp on school field for a while doesn't really work anymore.

Or I'm turbo Hitler.

G1mby
Jun 8, 2014

DreddyMatt posted:

I don't hate anyone son
I just don't think the traditional traveller lifestyle is particularly compatible with life in modern Britain.
Never called anyone thieves or scum.
Not wishing death on people, unlike other posters in this thread.

The counter to that is that maybe we should be altering life in modern Britain instead.

A simple example would be allowing for a pool of seasonal migratory labour - agriculture in the summer and autumn and warehouse operation in the winter for example are not able to support people year round but still need doing. We've been filling in this gap for years with eastern Europeans, but obviously Brexit has hosed that. Given it's never been easier (in principle) to move records about schooling, tax, benefits and health around, it makes sense for the country to enable a migratory population.

DreddyMatt
Nov 25, 2002
MY LACK OF KNOWLEDGE OF CURRENT EVENTS IS EXCEEDED ONLY BY MY UNQUENCHABLE THIRST FOR PISS. FUK U AMERIKKKA!!

smellmycheese posted:

Ah. We’re off on round 2 are we?

gently caress no, this is boring

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

DreddyMatt posted:

Or I'm turbo Hitler.

You keep suggesting this but I don't think you're seriously engaging with the possibility

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I don't think it's beyond the ability of modern society to provide campgrounds with amenities.

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo
I once cured a nazi with the power of love alone. The trick is to show you accept them together with their opinions and actions or they just won't listen to you. Deep down, were all human and deserve to be accepted along with the consequences of our actions and how we practise our beliefs

DreddyMatt
Nov 25, 2002

OwlFancier posted:

I don't think it's beyond the ability of modern society to provide campgrounds with amenities.

It's beyond the ability of modern society to feed children. You might be overstating modern society's abilities

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

what keeps happening to my clothes

Tijuana Bibliophile posted:

I once cured a nazi with the power of love alone. The trick is to show you accept them together with their opinions and actions or they just won't listen to you. Deep down, were all human and deserve to be accepted along with the consequences of our actions and how we practise our beliefs

and then when their guard is down you sock them in the jaw

cat botherer
Jan 6, 2022

I am interested in most phases of data processing.

There's this new thing that can cure chronic nazism with a single shot.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

DreddyMatt posted:

It's beyond the ability of modern society to feed children. You might be overstating modern society's abilities

You're the one proposing we need to "solve" people moving around too much. You are advocating investment of resources into this, but what you are choosing to allocate those resources to do is not to make people's preferred way of life easier to achieve, but to destroy it because you seem to think it's intrinsically wrong.

So I don't think your issue is actually to do with the logistics of providing amenities and places for people to stay. Which leads us to wonder what else it might be.

You are selectively hiding behind appeals to the status quo in an attempt to make your desired change seem less significant, and it is not an effective rhetorical method, I suggest you stop doing it.

DreddyMatt
Nov 25, 2002

OwlFancier posted:

You're the one proposing we need to "solve" people moving around too much. You are advocating investment of resources into this, but what you are choosing to allocate those resources to do is not to make people's preferred way of life easier to achieve, but to destroy it because you seem to think it's intrinsically wrong.

So I don't think your issue is actually to do with the logistics of providing amenities and places for people to stay. Which leads us to wonder what else it might be.

You are selectively hiding behind appeals to the status quo in an attempt to make your desired change seem less significant, and it is not an effective rhetorical method, I suggest you stop doing it.

Aye go on then. Forcibly seize all private and crown estates and manor houses and turn them into free campsites

2 birds, one stone

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

The trouble with your "expendable machines"
Fun Shoe

OwlFancier posted:

It's in the social contract that you're allowed to push him out of a window if he turns up gobbing off like that.

Careful, you might be accused of Putinism.

Proper British response is to write a sternly worded letter.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

DreddyMatt posted:

gently caress no, this is boring

Shut up and gently caress off then.

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear

Angepain posted:

and then when their guard is down you...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4S7QARslq74&t=36s

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear
that depiction of edward II is - as with most things in the film - a total inversion of what's known from history because by all accounts he was big and burly, enjoyed hedging, ditching and greyhounds, was a massive practical joker and to the disdain of his contemporaries preferred to spend his time hanging out with labourers

a total lad

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006
oh we’ve moved onto BuT tHe ScHoOl FiElDs now have we

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Nice of them to send the work experience lad round.

In work I get a Hazard Directory that describes any hazards that may be encountered on the worksite. I was on a worksite in the week that was 12 miles in size so the hazard directory was bigger than usual. One entry read:

Hazard Type: Toxic.
Description: Wolvercote.

Now I've never been to Wolvercote but it seems a bit harsh to consider the entire place toxic.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

hazard type: toxic, trip and slip, cognitive
description: gbnews team

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

OwlFancier posted:

hazard type: toxic, trip and slip, cognitive
description: gbnews team

Certainly life changing injuries from working there.

notaspy
Mar 22, 2009

Strong Drop the Dead Donkey vibes.

I like how he has to check himself from going off script as he doesn't want to choke on the poo poo coming out of his own mouth

Not So Fast
Dec 27, 2007

OwlFancier posted:

You've not been on holiday to Torquay then

Nuclear Spoon
Aug 18, 2010

I want to cry out
but I don’t scream and I don’t shout
And I feel so proud
to be alive
i made myself a nice paneer korma last night. leftovers for lunch

NZAmoeba
Feb 14, 2005

It turns out it's MAN!
Hair Elf

DreddyMatt posted:

Sounds like modern society is really poo poo.

Why do you want to force the travellers to assimilate into such a poo poo society?

Might be better to make society not suck first?

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

no it's too late, he's put on the joker makeup

wait hang on *picks up facepaint* this is boot polish

Diet Crack
Jan 15, 2001

Bobby Deluxe posted:

The social contract, also known as the magner carter :stare:

Pretty average cider if you ask me

DreddyMatt
Nov 25, 2002

NZAmoeba posted:

Sounds like modern society is really poo poo.

Why do you want to force the travellers to assimilate into such a poo poo society?

Might be better to make society not suck first?

Great idea.
Got any plans?

cat botherer
Jan 6, 2022

I am interested in most phases of data processing.
If I'm bound by the social contract, then why am I still nasty, brutish, and short?

DreddyMatt
Nov 25, 2002
First two might be related to the third. Who knows?

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

https://twitter.com/GreenpeaceUK/status/1687429885612986368

sigh

Disproportionation
Feb 20, 2011

Oh god it's the Clone Saga all over again.
It is very funny when such an ordinary stance such as "we should not treat groups of people like undesirables" causes someone to get extremely upset and suddenly start posting as much as possible and getting into fights with strangers and asking "well what would you about it then?????" over and over while at the same time claiming to not be bothered. The absolute normal-est response to this situation.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug
As if the current govt was doing much already with Greenpeace before.

Gorn Myson
Aug 8, 2007

Theres a very good French rom-com called "The Names of Love" which features a character who converts fascists in the moments after sleeping with them and has a lot of success doing so. Semi auto-biographical apparently.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Gorn Myson posted:

Theres a very good French rom-com called "The Names of Love" which features a character who converts fascists in the moments after sleeping with them and has a lot of success doing so. Semi auto-biographical apparently.

OK fine, I'll take Rachel Riley

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chubby Henparty
Aug 13, 2007

Surprise, it's David Baddiel with his make up on again