Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

Our teacher played that poo poo for us in junior high school. I remember it ending on a stillborn kid.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

FLY MY PRETTIES FLY!!!

Maximum Sexy Pigeon
Jun 5, 2008

We must never speak of this!

Zero VGS posted:

Our teacher played that poo poo for us in junior high school. I remember it ending on a stillborn kid.

Same, social studies teacher. I know it was important but FUUUUUCK dude really

gameraMan
Dec 16, 2008

Aaaaaaagh!
The Exorcist, TV version ~1980

I stress TV version, as I assume that the 1980 era, a TV watching family just assumed that because a show is played ‘is on prime time CBS’ , that it’s just fine and not going to be potentially traumatic for a 10 year old.

Oops!

Some years later I would watch the original uncut version, and i think the TV version may have been more deeply scary, since the cut stuff was mainly just gross. I think it was those short hospital cutscenes that were some of the most nightmare inducing, those moment when you realize things are out of control …

Katamari Democracy
Jan 19, 2010

Guess what! :love:
Guess what this is? :love:
A Post, Just for you! :love:
Wedge Regret
Three movies. One for good reason, another because I am still not sure why, and the last was due to being scared of potty training.

All Dogs go to Heaven
When I was still a very young child sitting on a stool eating some food. My parents at the time we lived in a very poor lifestyle. In Georgia, we didn't have a cockroach problem but we drat sure did have a major wasp problem. In the movie, the Dog charlie is in heaven and is about to turn his clock back so he can come back to life so he can do whatever it is that he did in the movie. But in this scene, the reason why it traumatized me was because the moment the cat starts screaming a wasp flew inside of my ear and started stinging the poo poo out of me. I had to be rushed to the hospital and I remember that sharp pain hitting me because of it. When I watched the movie again a few months later I remember being so scared of that scene like it was a countdown. So I hated it and during school when they showed the movie to the rest of us kids I remember just being on the computer learning. Parents had to tell my teacher to not show the movie to me because of that.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1IC0f8nnRhM&t=313s

The Neverending Story

This one I still do not really know why. Artax dying? Didn't phase me. The nothing wolf? Nah.

Shell Mountain Sneezing? Scared me SHITLESS.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rCn7orvs0Ws

I cant find the clip of Who Framed Roger Rabbit? but I remember during my toilet training my mother told me I used to buckle my legs when I tried going to the toilet because one scene from the movie traumatized me as a child when Roger Rabbit went down the toilet. Apparently I screamed in fear or something.

Ralph Hurley
Aug 3, 2009

:barf::sweep::zoid:

drat I just remembered a time when I was around 11 and my mom used to make me go to this church youth group thing that I hated. One Sunday after church I got dropped off at the minister’s house with a bunch of other kids my age. Minister said “let’s watch a movie!” and he put on the Killing Fields, a movie I was aware of but not so sure I wanted to see. That was fun, so much better than playing video games. My favorite scene was the dude escaping and realizing he was in a mud pit surrounded by rotting corpses and skeletons with plastic bags over their heads.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Glad to see Gooey Gus on the front page. I got in trouble because I squeezed out an entire tube of toothepaste after watching the episode he was in. I was convinced he could be hiding in it. Dad was pissed.

When I was 5 there was an episode of Unsolved Mysteries aired that had a segment about Dave Bocks. He was a pipe fitter at a facility that secretly processed high grade uranium. The company had been working to cover up that they’d released roughly 200 tons of radioactive dust into the air and local water. Bocks was suspected of being a whistleblower and disappeared on the job one night in 1984. Long story short it’s believed due to the presence of personal effects and a temporary dip in temperature that someone dumped his body into a furnace. This was accompanied by a reenactment of this theory that freaked me out a ton. I couldn’t really process that this was just a theory. In the clip some guys hook and cable around his feet, maneuver him above the furnace, and drop him in. I imagined they were laughing maniacally when they did it but upon watching it again recently they of course don’t. I wasn’t sure I’d ever see it again because me memories were so hazy but another goon was able to link me to a YouTube video with the entire episode.

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.

Tite Barnacle posted:

I saw Salem's Lot way, way too young, probably around 6 years old. That coffin scene and the kid scratching at the window terrified me for years.
:same:

Plus Mike in the rocking chair, that was the worst of the lot. Er, no pun intended.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

In the pipes with the motion detector

BEEP....... BEEP.... BEEP.. BEEP...

parthenocarpy
Dec 18, 2003

The Lottery

I have a significant scar on my nose that makes it look broken from the age of four, when a friend and I were throwing rocks at pools of water at our feet. Sometime around the age of nine I saw this film on television, which contains an unbelievably realistic stoning scene. I've left more kitchen jobs than I can count over coworkers who threw poo poo at each other. I just leave. All my friends and family know not to throw stuff at me. I'll let your keys hit the ground, your valuable item you chose to throw, instead of neatly hand over, whatever you want to put into the air wont be caught by me, I'll just sidestep it.

Zamboni Rodeo
Jul 19, 2007

NEVER play "Lady of Spain" AGAIN!

temple posted:

I guess this is the relive your childhood trauma thread. My mom was weirded out by some episode of an anthology show. It was about a woman that gets a phone call with a muffled voice that she doesn't understand. Twist: the call was from herself in the future. Does anyone remember what that was?

From that description I’d say it’s probably this:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sorry,_Right_Number

Navin Johnson
Mar 1, 2016

frumpykvetchbot posted:

Koyaanisqatsi.

I had a ticket to a different movie but ended up in the wrong theater. The opening scene was so fascinating I just stayed in my seat and watched the whole thing. I was 10 at the time.

I became convinced the movie was some kind of disturbing confession or revelation. The raising of the curtain on an underlying truth that the grown-ups in my life would never admit or even entertain as a concept; that our species is living completely out of balance with the natural world and that industrial civilization was probably a terrible mistake, and all our institutions propping it up reflects a collective failure of leadership and foresight.

40 years later I don't think substantially different about any of those things.

This. More depressing than scary but it definitely had a significant effect on me for quite a while.

snergle
Aug 3, 2013

A kind little mouse!

Katamari Democracy posted:

Three movies. One for good reason, another because I am still not sure why, and the last was due to being scared of potty training.

All Dogs go to Heaven
When I was still a very young child sitting on a stool eating some food. My parents at the time we lived in a very poor lifestyle. In Georgia, we didn't have a cockroach problem but we drat sure did have a major wasp problem. In the movie, the Dog charlie is in heaven and is about to turn his clock back so he can come back to life so he can do whatever it is that he did in the movie. But in this scene, the reason why it traumatized me was because the moment the cat starts screaming a wasp flew inside of my ear and started stinging the poo poo out of me. I had to be rushed to the hospital and I remember that sharp pain hitting me because of it. When I watched the movie again a few months later I remember being so scared of that scene like it was a countdown. So I hated it and during school when they showed the movie to the rest of us kids I remember just being on the computer learning. Parents had to tell my teacher to not show the movie to me because of that.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1IC0f8nnRhM&t=313s

The Neverending Story

This one I still do not really know why. Artax dying? Didn't phase me. The nothing wolf? Nah.

Shell Mountain Sneezing? Scared me SHITLESS.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rCn7orvs0Ws

I cant find the clip of Who Framed Roger Rabbit? but I remember during my toilet training my mother told me I used to buckle my legs when I tried going to the toilet because one scene from the movie traumatized me as a child when Roger Rabbit went down the toilet. Apparently I screamed in fear or something.

disapointed your potty training one wasnt mr toiletman from look whos talking

https://media.giphy.com/media/DVEBTiVFDGLoQ/giphy.gif

Navin Johnson
Mar 1, 2016

Canine Blues Arooo posted:

Child's Play.

Dolls in general just hosed up me for years as a kid. Even today, human dolls that are supposed to be 'cute' still are unsettling.

Sadly, I am the rear end in a top hat parent who watched this with a very young daughter. She is STILL terrified of Chucky as a young lady. Oops! I guess repeatedly telling her that "it's just make believe" didn't really cut it. I'm a dumbass.........

StrangersInTheNight
Dec 31, 2007
ABSOLUTE FUCKING GUDGEON
Yeah that's a shame, they're authentically hilarious as an adult bc they shoulda just kicked Chucky and been done with it. He's knee-high, tops! Just boot the little sucker.

But if you're a child, he could be roughly your size 😬

mycophobia
May 7, 2008

Navin Johnson posted:

Sadly, I am the rear end in a top hat parent who watched this with a very young daughter. She is STILL terrified of Chucky as a young lady. Oops! I guess repeatedly telling her that "it's just make believe" didn't really cut it. I'm a dumbass.........

its rated R op.

Extra row of tits
Oct 31, 2020

Zero VGS posted:

It’s not stillborn, it’s deformed from the radiation

XYZAB
Jun 29, 2003

HNNNNNGG!!
Lorenzo's Oil.

I was like maybe seven years old and watching it with my recently divorced single mother in her dingy basement apartment with her as she explained that this could happen to me and there's nothing that could be done about it.

Thanks, mom!

temple
Jul 29, 2006

I have actual skeletons in my closet

Zamboni Rodeo posted:

From that description I’d say it’s probably this:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sorry,_Right_Number

Yeah that's the one. I found an archive of Tales from the Darkside: https://archive.org/details/PDTV0156/

The cutty black sow is infuriating. Probably the best horror episode on that show.

Clipperton
Dec 20, 2011
Grimey Drawer

XYZAB posted:

Lorenzo's Oil.

I was like maybe seven years old and watching it with my recently divorced single mother in her dingy basement apartment with her as she explained that this could happen to me and there's nothing that could be done about it.

Thanks, mom!

There is some gnarly poo poo in that movie

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

That Exorcist scene where she pukes on the Priest....

Navin Johnson
Mar 1, 2016

mycophobia posted:

its rated R op.

Told you I was a dumbass. :cripes:

Wifi Toilet
Oct 1, 2004

Toilet Rascal
The Phantom Tollbooth. The kid turns into a cartoon for Christ's sake! What if I turn into a cartoon?!?!?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mk2tYt9E0zY

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

Extra row of tits posted:

It’s not stillborn, it’s deformed from the radiation

gently caress you for making me watch it again (full movie is on YouTube) but we're both right. It's a dead AND deformed baby :pseudo:

edit: Speaking of free movies on YouTube, Michael Jackson's Moonwalker was incredible disturbing as a kid. Stop-motion stalker fans chasing him, him transforming into a car, Joe Pesci trying to stick syringes into children, giant mecha Michael, and his cool fursuit rabbit friend awakening something in me...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iCWS1gQSWWM

Zero VGS fucked around with this message at 01:17 on Aug 5, 2023

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer

StrangersInTheNight posted:

Yeah that's a shame, they're authentically hilarious as an adult bc they shoulda just kicked Chucky and been done with it. He's knee-high, tops! Just boot the little sucker.

But if you're a child, he could be roughly your size 😬

I was never scared of Chucky, even as a kid, because he was still a drat doll. Have you seen the damage kids do to toys they like?

I am glad Toy Story wasn't on when I was a kid, because the idea of your toys being alive and pretty much being in a nonstop popularity contest and dragging on each other, being conscious of being thrown away? I already had anxiety as a kid about my toys, like what if one of them felt less loved and disappeared or was thrown away?

Same thing with Coraline. What kid doesn't want cooler and nicer parents and neighbors who spoil you and dote on you? And the only catch is you need to have buttons over your eyes? Wait, instead of eyes?

Apparently one kid movie I watched nonstop but always made me panic at one moment was A Mouse and His Child, some stupid nonDisney animated movie about wind-up toys. And yes they were alive. And some of them ended up enslaved by rats. The freakout moment every goddamn time, and I watched this movie apparently almost every day, was when one of the wind-up donkeys was exhausted and half broken and begged for some rest, and then you only saw the shadows and heard him screaming that no no, he'd get up and work, while a rat took him apart.

Wait, Threads is on youtube? Every time I try to see the ending it always spins into that stupid Happy Days "gotcha!"

Sourdough Sam
May 2, 2010

:dukedog:

Wifi Toilet posted:

The Phantom Tollbooth. The kid turns into a cartoon for Christ's sake! What if I turn into a cartoon?!?!?

This also happens in The Pagemaster and Rockadoodle. If there was a Freddy Krueger for little 90s kids, he'd be turning them into cartoons and trapping them in VHS tapes with white clamshell cases

IT BURNS
Nov 19, 2012

They've all been said, but to echo:

Threads: still scares me to this day.
Dreamscape: nuke scenes with the zombie kids, the rest is campy.
Heavy Metal: violence in cartoons always disturbed me.
The Shining: bathtub scene especially
Saving Private Ryan: saw in the theaters, the opening scene when people get immediately blown away as soon as the doors opened was very scary.
The Exorcist: pretty much everything.
Pet Sematary: MOTHERFUCKING ZELDA! I still can't watch this movie because of her.

IT BURNS fucked around with this message at 01:43 on Aug 5, 2023

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

What God wants, God gets, God help us all
Anyone say Dumbo yet? The opening with the storm and then the elephant hallucinations scared me as a kid. Also it exposed me to terrible minstrel show poo poo in the form of those crows, which can’t have been good.

temple
Jul 29, 2006

I have actual skeletons in my closet

IT BURNS posted:

Pet Sematary: MOTHERFUCKING ZELDA! I still can't watch this movie because of her.
I blocked that out my memory. Its always strange people forget that scene and its the scariest thing ever.

ponzicar
Mar 17, 2008

Pvt.Scott posted:

Anyone say Dumbo yet? The opening with the storm and then the elephant hallucinations scared me as a kid. Also it exposed me to terrible minstrel show poo poo in the form of those crows, which can’t have been good.

They wanted to teach kids a lesson about drinking, and they succeeded. To this day, I will never drink from a bucket at the circus.

Junk
Dec 20, 2003

Listen to reason, man. Why make your job difficult?

Casimir Radon posted:

Glad to see Gooey Gus on the front page. I got in trouble because I squeezed out an entire tube of toothepaste after watching the episode he was in. I was convinced he could be hiding in it. Dad was pissed.

im surprised it took someone this long to acknowledge it, that poo poo was freaky as gently caress and legit gave me nightmares

TK8325
Sep 22, 2014

Wifi Toilet posted:

I had the same fear after watching Rock-a-Doodle. And the creepy owl playing the organ. Basically all of Don Bluth's work was terrifying.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

TK8325 posted:

I had the same fear after watching Rock-a-Doodle. And the creepy owl playing the organ. Basically all of Don Bluth's work was terrifying.

TK-8325 WHY AREN'T YOU AT YOUR POST?

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

I’ve never seen the end of Rock-a-Doodle. So I saw most of it at daycare, and everything was still flooded when I left. So back before everything was on the internet I was kind of weirded out by this story I never saw to its conclusion. Bluth stuff kind of weirds me out in general in its sort of Disney but not.

White Light
Dec 19, 2012

There's this obscure as hell late 90's kid flick called Warriors of Virtue. This movie is pure trash in every form, a poor man's TMNT live action knockoff, but the villain did this thing where he would randomly trapdoor his loyal soldiers into a human meat shredder below his throne for shits and grins. No real motive other than just cause he felt like doing it.

The part that got to me was how terrified that grunt was at simply doing his job of relaying a message before getting shredded into meat, super hosed to watch that play out.

Extra row of tits
Oct 31, 2020

Cowslips Warren posted:

I was never scared of Chucky, even as a kid, because he was still a drat doll. Have you seen the damage kids do to toys they like?

Have you seen the one in the hospital? Where the psych patient talks to chuck in the hallway “Are you loving with me? I’m a mass produced retro toy from the 80s with a scalpel, aren’t you scared?”

That’s a weird movie, the main character is the chucky voice actors real life daughter.

Armacham
Mar 3, 2007

Then brothers in war, to the skirmish must we hence! Shall we hence?

XYZAB posted:

Lorenzo's Oil.

Thanks, mom!

Lol and to cap it off, the whole story in that movie is bull poo poo. The oil doesn't help you if you are already symptomatic for ALD. The real Lorenzo died at the age of 30.

MLK Ultra
Mar 9, 2021

Communion.

Talorat
Sep 18, 2007

Hahaha! Aw come on, I can't tell you everything right away! That would make for a boring story, don't you think?
Weirdly I remember the machine that turns you into a hosed up cartoon character from spy kids freaked me the gently caress out. I dunno why, just felt like a horrifying fate.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dick Jones
Jun 20, 2002

Number 2 Guy at OCP

IT BURNS posted:

Yeah that and the flashback to the WWII guy freaked me out. It doesn’t affect me much if I watch it now, but at the time I thought it perfectly captured the gloom and dread of a Stephen King book. It wasn’t until years later that I learned meningitis does not actually turn a person into a demented skeleton witch.

I’m pretty sure it was this movie that made my mom permanently hate Stephen King forever