Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
I always avoided it but I decided to watched Dressed to Kill.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.

Crescent Wrench posted:

I watched Thirst last night, and it was a wild ride. I've seen a few Park Chan-wook films and always enjoyed them, but this one had more of a bizarre sense of humor than the others from what I recall. I also had forgotten it stars my main man Song Kang-ho, who kills it as always. And I'd never seen Kim Ok-vin in anything before, but her deranged energy complimented him perfectly.

Now track down Thirst 1979 Australian horror film.

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Everytime I try to fly I fall
Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

Alien Resurrection over 3 if only cause the room of failed Ripleys is a scene that has actually stayed with me

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
I am unimpressed with Dress to Kill.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

weekly font posted:

Alien Resurrection over 3 if only cause the room of failed Ripleys is a scene that has actually stayed with me

A lot of what was attempted in Alien Resurrection was interesting, but I liked it a lot more in 1997 than I do today. Also it was a dry run for Firefly and that show was as dogshit as its creator.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
Well since everyone keeps talking about it I'mma rewatch Alien Ressurection

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Dressed to Kill is prime “I wanna be Hitchcock so bad” fare.

PKMN Trainer Red
Oct 22, 2007

New only acceptable type of a Q drop!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Gz_OZG7SsU

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
CGI in Resurrection is real loving bad. Just starting it now and they have a CGI bug and its loving terrible.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Jedit posted:

A lot of what was attempted in Alien Resurrection was interesting, but I liked it a lot more in 1997 than I do today. Also it was a dry run for Firefly and that show was as dogshit as its creator.

At least Whedon hated it!

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
Alien Resurrection was fine. I mean I appreciate its pacing and the action of it. I still like Alien 3 more. I think its more a character study of Ripley.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Horror icons

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

Jonesy?

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Larry

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
Couldn't decide what to watch so I chose Shocker by Wes Craven which I don't really remember a lot of.

PKMN Trainer Red
Oct 22, 2007

A friend knows I love this movie and was like, 'Have you seen this poster?'

And now you all get to see it too.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

PKMN Trainer Red posted:

gently caress yes.

Got a searchable descriptor? I might need to find a print of that.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
Just watched Talk to Me at a late night showing. It was pretty fun, I liked that it (ending spoilers) hosed with the protagonists perception of reality so by the end even the viewer is left a bit off kilter until it becomes clear that her dead mother has been gaslighting her into thinking she's on her side the whole movie. That final "Talk to Me. I let you in" was a cool way to end it. I also loved when she ended up talking to the little girl in the hospital room and suddently SHE says "I let you in" reversing how the hand is meant to work and dragging her into their hell dimension. I also liked that the main characters generally acted with empathy towards each other, certainly in the initial scare with the injured child, the mother blames the protagonist and the guests because she suspects some kind of drug, and she's half right, but when that fear is proven to be unfounded she actually apologises and lets the protagonist have time with her son. At this point she really shouldn't and it's a bad move, but she had no way of knowing that by that point the protagonist has totally lost it and that her initial fear of her exposing her son to a harmful thing was actually correct, but in a magic way.

Way better than the side characters in Smile who were all dick heads, all just being "Oh, your just going crazy like your mother did" and not doing anything to actually help her. also it avoided Smile's unfortunate moral about trauma.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
Shocker is totally loving insane. LMAO at the ghost suddenly showing up.

married but discreet
May 7, 2005

Taco Defender
Shocker rules so much

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.

married but discreet posted:

Shocker rules so much

Eh. Its bad but its not good bad.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

It’s actually good

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
Its really disjointed and while initially the main bad guy is excellent and creepy when he starts jumping bodies you get diminishing returns with actors who cannot act. Although the littler girl on the bulldozer saying go you fucker was pretty funny.

Erin M. Fiasco
Mar 21, 2013

Nothing's better than postin' in the morning!

PKMN Trainer Red posted:

This rules!!!

PKMN Trainer Red
Oct 22, 2007

Xiahou Dun posted:

gently caress yes.

Got a searchable descriptor? I might need to find a print of that.

Some clever Google work says it's Phantom City Creative!

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

PKMN Trainer Red posted:

Some clever Google work says it's Phantom City Creative!

Oo! There’s even an alternate color scheme.

You’re a mensch among menschen.

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

Do you know anything about...
witches?

Buglord

Hollismason posted:

Its really disjointed and while initially the main bad guy is excellent and creepy when he starts jumping bodies you get diminishing returns with actors who cannot act. Although the littler girl on the bulldozer saying go you fucker was pretty funny.

It’s been a pretty long time but I remember feeling similarly, everything before the electricity stuff is cool and the body jumping is also fun, but they don’t really fit together super well and as you said the whole thing feels disjointed despite having good elements. I should give it another chance though, it’s been well over a decade since I last saw it. Maybe I’ll rewatch this October.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.

gey muckle mowser posted:

It’s been a pretty long time but I remember feeling similarly, everything before the electricity stuff is cool and the body jumping is also fun, but they don’t really fit together super well and as you said the whole thing feels disjointed despite having good elements. I should give it another chance though, it’s been well over a decade since I last saw it. Maybe I’ll rewatch this October.

Yeah I mean its got a pretty great ender with them fighting through out the different tv shows and tv sets ,but that middle part of the film really drags. Also its a fairly long movie like almost 2 hours.

I mean I didn't like absolutely hate it, but I wasn't like "Oh this is fantastic".

BrownPepper
Dec 30, 2017
Watched The Vast of Night tonight. I think someone in this thread mentioned that its a good warm summer night watch and that was absolutely correct. I'd agree that it's not strictly horror, but the overall vibe was very unsettling (in a fun way) for me. Absolutely great example of vibes based filmmaking, and I want to move to the desert and work at a radio station. Absolutely top tier UFO movie. I think it's a tough genre because you need to balance the mystery and paranoia with some kind of payoff. This one gets the balance right by leaning into the mystery imo.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

gently caress yessssssss

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

Do you like scary movies?

Origami Dali posted:

Some in the thread liked my horror trailer/commercials halloween playlist on yt last october. I made it into this thing a couple of days ago.

Holy poo poo! That was yours? It popped on my recommendeds and plan to use it in my family and friends share for October's countdown to Halloween.

drhermes posted:

I get the same effect by being so drat old. I watch I movie I saw in 1978 and I've forgotten so much of it that it's like a new movie. What's weird is now I like stuff I used to hate and the reverse.

Erin M. Fiasco posted:

The entire reason I started a Letterboxd account was to specifically track my horror watches so I didn't get tangled in on myself especially since I saw so many in such a short amount of time. Now it's fun because I get to decide what counts as horror (with one exception, a non-horror film I reviewed because I just kinda hated it).

Just from the sheer volume of horror films I've watched over the years, some do get mixed up in my head. Toss in how many I watched when I had a raging case of the flu or too tired and unable to sleep and unless it's something I've watched multiple times, there's a chance of I'm not sure if I've seen it or not. My Letterboxd account started as a way for me to archive the reviews I do for the movie challenges as well as keep track of ones I've done or not because between the reviews and how much nattering about films here in the thread, I have moments of not sure where I talked about something.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

BioEnchanted posted:

Just watched Talk to Me at a late night showing. It was pretty fun, I liked that it (ending spoilers) hosed with the protagonists perception of reality so by the end even the viewer is left a bit off kilter until it becomes clear that her dead mother has been gaslighting her into thinking she's on her side the whole movie. That final "Talk to Me. I let you in" was a cool way to end it. I also loved when she ended up talking to the little girl in the hospital room and suddently SHE says "I let you in" reversing how the hand is meant to work and dragging her into their hell dimension. I also liked that the main characters generally acted with empathy towards each other, certainly in the initial scare with the injured child, the mother blames the protagonist and the guests because she suspects some kind of drug, and she's half right, but when that fear is proven to be unfounded she actually apologises and lets the protagonist have time with her son. At this point she really shouldn't and it's a bad move, but she had no way of knowing that by that point the protagonist has totally lost it and that her initial fear of her exposing her son to a harmful thing was actually correct, but in a magic way.

Way better than the side characters in Smile who were all dick heads, all just being "Oh, your just going crazy like your mother did" and not doing anything to actually help her. also it avoided Smile's unfortunate moral about trauma.

Yeah I saw it earlier tonight too and I liked it a lot. Not a perfect movie, but all around good characters, good spooky imagery, liked the ending. It was nice to see a premise that is so "teen horror" buck most of the trends that make the genre so predictable and lame. The characters are well written and believable (great cast too), some super gnarly imagery, bleak as hell.

poo poo, I think it might be my favorite horror movie this year so far. I might be blanking on something better atm though.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.

veni veni veni posted:

Yeah I saw it earlier tonight too and I liked it a lot. Not a perfect movie, but all around good characters, good spooky imagery, liked the ending. It was nice to see a premise that is so "teen horror" buck most of the trends that make the genre so predictable and lame. The characters are well written and believable (great cast too), some super gnarly imagery, bleak as hell.

poo poo, I think it might be my favorite horror movie this year so far. I might be blanking on something better atm though.

I also liked the cinematography, like when they start getting possessed and the camera follows their heads snapping 90 degrees off kilter then back again, and then when the dead first go into the house at the first party and the door opens and slams it does the same camera move. Also the mother gave them EVERY chance to come clean so being as pissed as she was was completely understandable given the state her son ended up in. She went to everyone in the house and was just trying to get information ,she knew she couldn't stop the party, but she just wanted to know "How many people, will there be any drugs as there is a young child and a dog that live here, what exactly will you be doing?" and all they would have had to answer would have been relatively benign sounding - about 30 people will be coming, we'll be playing with oiuja-board adjacent thing to talk to the dead, we have precautions and strict rules to avoid things going disastrously wrong and we won't let the guests touch any of the alcohol, although the biggest dickhead will probably be smoking.

BioEnchanted fucked around with this message at 08:55 on Aug 6, 2023

BOAT SHOWBOAT
Oct 11, 2007

who do you carry the torch for, my young man?
I absolutely loved Talk to Me, and having grown up in Australian suburbia I've been at parties exactly like those and feel like I KNOW those people

It's a strong recommend and a great horror movie, the only thing that I didn't like was the scenes with the dad were a little more predictable and rote in contrast to the rest being more surprising and shocking. I would say the first 2/3rds are amazing and the latter third was more just "quite good" but I still enjoyed much of the latter sections in particular the little girl spirit "twisting" the rules back on her and the final ending.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

It also explores both why the dead become such dickheads and why the living would willingly do the ritual - as long as you stick to the rules and are properly chained down and of a decent age, the dead can't do any real harm so come across like they're just playing. They probably could only harm the child because he was short enough that they could reach the table despite the chains (also he'd been possessed far beyond the safe limit for an adult so they probably had more sway over his body), the older people were chained in such a way they couldn't bend like that, so it just seems like they show up, say some mean things and gently caress off again. Nothing's gone wrong before, and the people in the moment feel really good while in the passenger seat so don't care what they are saying or doing. It feels like that's probably what the dead feel like all the time, that feeling of cruel euphoria, of "Nothing I do has consequences, and the others are pushing me further and further so why not?!" That euphoria is probably also why they see nothing wrong with filming them to put them online, they aren't filming anyone suffering, the person in the chair is having as much fun as everyone else is.

Also I feel the thing with the dad was that the predictability was the point. He was Mia's anchor to reality. As soon as he's dead, her mother has full sway over her thoughts and actions and the logic of the movie breaks down as her grip on who she should listen to becomes frayed.

BOAT SHOWBOAT
Oct 11, 2007

who do you carry the torch for, my young man?
(Talk to Me spoilers) I think the Dad actually survived as per Jade finding him, although for sure the audience doesn't know that at that point

Yeah in terms of what the movie is actually about like others I agree it's about boundaries

- the theme of the movie, and what the hand does involves talking to, touching something and giving permission (to something that can't entirely be trusted)
- Mia's entire relationship with the other family and emotional distance from her own is about how much we're willing to let other people into our lives and personal spaces
- house parties themselves are an interesting intrusion of people of different levels of acquaintance into our safest spaces
- we put on different faces for others, and have a boundary of what we do/don't show to them i.e. the younger brother who wants to seem tough in front of his friend who smokes but is singing Sia with Mia in the car

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I’ve never been to Australia but I hav e watched a lot of maxmoefoe/filthy Frank/idubbbz back in the day

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

The only character I disliked was the host of the parties, he was just... what's the australian pejorative? C-...something... A word beginning with C... AH YEAH! Ciggy-butt brain.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
my main takeaway from saw 3 is that it would be better if amanda was gay and the murder tension she had with the doctor lady was gay murder tension

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

BioEnchanted posted:

The only character I disliked was the host of the parties, he was just... what's the australian pejorative? C-...something... A word beginning with C... AH YEAH! Ciggy-butt brain.

Bogan