Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: skooma512)

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

I have no idea what the path forward is for the generation of kids currently in high school wrt moving out, finding housing, and getting a job and car.

They'll eat hot chip and lie

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool
zoomers and gen a are gonna be stuck with their parents and they'll need to be lucky enough to inherit something

multigen households are back, baby

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:
i'm stuck watching msnbc and it's no wonder the olds think the economy is good. this is pure economic propaganda.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Paying 400-500 a month for a corolla

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

trevorreznik posted:

That's one of the greatest vehicles ever made and I'm still pissed mine got wrecked. A neighbor has one in the same color and it makes me sad to go by it. 95% of the parts are Toyota but it was sold at Pontiac prices, was basically just a corolla hatchback that could fit my bicycle inside it with the back seats down + had rails on top for a kayak, got 30+ mpg.

The hvac broke constantly since that was the pontiac part of it.

https://www.cargurus.com/Cars/l-Used-Toyota-Matrix-d300

~$7k what a steal!!

Venuz Patrol
Mar 27, 2011

worst shape

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer
Buy here pay here lots selling people a Chrysler minivan w 150k on the clock that's probably somehow gonna get repo'd so they can just do it again before it finally submits to the salty great lakes winter roads and the frame is so rotted you can't get it on a lift anymore

Great poo poo

Popoto
Oct 21, 2012

miaow

Twerk from Home posted:

https://www.nytimes.com/2023/08/07/realestate/microgrid-solar-power-energy.html

This is where the future is headed. I'd bet that in 20 years all the new tract home developments will have neighborhood-level backup power. Rich people in older houses will all have their own backup power. Once everyone who matters is isolated from power outages, the grid will be allowed to rot and collapse and those without backup power will experience multiple weeks without power annually.

My mother in law in Texas already has experienced more than a week in total without power just on that year with the cold winter.

having flash backs of the roman empire unable to defend its borders any more due to institutional rot and thus having every city start building giant walls even deep inside the empire's core. coincidentally this is also what make local tribalism/nationalism rise against the broader interests of the empire.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

anime was right posted:

zoomers and gen a are gonna be stuck with their parents and they'll need to be lucky enough to inherit something

multigen households are back, baby

I'm ok with my kids doing this :shrug:

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT

RealityWarCriminal posted:

i'm stuck watching msnbc and it's no wonder the olds think the economy is good. this is pure economic propaganda.

rachel maddow's got his tax returns and this time they're gonna get him, we'll see the mugshot, this is it, it's real this time

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

The kids with poor parents who can't afford to get them started or the kids estranged from their parents for whatever reason are poo poo out of luck though

BornAPoorBlkChild
Sep 24, 2012

comedyblissoption posted:

it's jojos rules first you have a mortal fight to the death and then you become best buds

araki biden forgot

trevorreznik
Apr 22, 2023
Those mid '00s used car prices are sending me spiraling. I gotta hang onto this '99 rust free camry we have for my kid when he can drive in another decade, because by then it'll somehow be worth $30k.

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:
whoops, meant cnbc. the stock channel.

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

Twerk from Home posted:

https://www.nytimes.com/2023/08/07/realestate/microgrid-solar-power-energy.html

This is where the future is headed. I'd bet that in 20 years all the new tract home developments will have neighborhood-level backup power. Rich people in older houses will all have their own backup power. Once everyone who matters is isolated from power outages, the grid will be allowed to rot and collapse and those without backup power will experience multiple weeks without power annually.

My mother in law in Texas already has experienced more than a week in total without power just on that year with the cold winter.

i had friends in nola who were without power for ~3 months after katrina

one of their moms ended up bribing an entergy guy in a cherry picker to do their street next

the hurricane coast is so hosed for infrastructure lol

Nothus
Feb 22, 2001

Buglord

Maed posted:

growing up my dad would just buy a $500 car once a year from a buy here pay here since they'd never pass the next inspection and he couldn't afford anything else, that's $1000 today with inflation but still way cheaper than the 6 or 7 times more expensive lovely beater cars today. soon poor people will have to just walk everywhere again since public transit is getting shittier and even the worst cars are unaffordable, I guess that's one way to solve traffic

You wanted the end of car culture, this is how America phases-out private car ownership for the masses

Apr 7, 2003

Nothus posted:

You wanted the end of car culture, this is how America phases-out private car ownership for the masses

that's the thing though, we aren't. Everyone's still going to have to own a car. You're just going to end up paying 105% of your monthly income on your car and housing and your kids will inherit the debt when you die.

Apr 7, 2003

The average new car payment is ~$725 a month and public transit / car-free options are worse now than they were twenty years ago. The majority of Americans consider living without a car to be utterly unthinkable, something only the poorest of the poor do, and they certainly aren't poor so they'll keep paying 30% of their net income on their car.

wynott dunn
Aug 9, 2006

What is to be done?

Who or what can challenge, and stand a chance at beating, the corporate juggernauts dominating the world?

I have no idea what the path forward is for the generation of kids currently in high school wrt moving out, finding housing, and getting a job and car.

they’re going to become nannies to solve the childcare crisis and make the big bucks

Car Hater
May 7, 2007

wolf. bike.
Wolf. Bike.
Wolf! Bike!
WolfBike!
WolfBike!
ARROOOOOO!
1987 mercury cougar in 2005: $1500 = $2400 2023 dollars

1987 mercury cougar today: $4500

L
M
A
O

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde
up uP UP

Car Hater
May 7, 2007

wolf. bike.
Wolf. Bike.
Wolf! Bike!
WolfBike!
WolfBike!
ARROOOOOO!
If something catastrophic happens to my 07 Honda I'm just going to [Redacted] and be done with all this

Nothus
Feb 22, 2001

Buglord

The average new car payment is ~$725 a month and public transit / car-free options are worse now than they were twenty years ago. The majority of Americans consider living without a car to be utterly unthinkable, something only the poorest of the poor do, and they certainly aren't poor so they'll keep paying 30% of their net income on their car.

So what, the people in charge don't care.

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

!!!!

Morbus
May 18, 2004

euphronius posted:

simple they will live at home with their parents

also gonna need to drive to work with their parents

Apr 7, 2003

Nothus posted:

Private car ownership isn't going away in your lifetime or mine, people will just impoverish themselves to keep driving.

Red Baron
Mar 9, 2007

ty slumfrog :)

that's the thing though, we aren't. Everyone's still going to have to own a car. You're just going to end up paying 105% of your monthly income on your car and housing and your kids will inherit the debt when you die.

nope, you’re gonna get what you wanted

e-bikes for everyone! (and a steal at only $2000!!!)

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

the 2024 hyundai kona ev is looking nice. if it qualifies for the credit and actually exists next year i might try to get one

i'd much rather buy used but lol
15 year old 200k mile rav 4 for only 20k!!

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Drake no: 30% of income on housing

Drake yes: 30% of income on car loan

Iverron
May 13, 2012

Nothus posted:

economy booming bibenomics

Nothus
Feb 22, 2001

Buglord

Private car ownership isn't going away in your lifetime or mine, people will just impoverish themselves to keep driving.

The ones that can keep making the payments will, sure. For increasing numbers of people, private ownership is very much going away

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde
there's a short story by i believe stephen king about future america where every family lives in their cars and constantly drives 24/7 because the government pays you per mile (in order to consume gas and other car industry stuff because that's the entire economy now)

Joey Steel
Jul 24, 2019

Red Baron posted:

nope, you’re gonna get what you wanted

e-bikes for everyone! (and a steal at only $2000!!!)

I mean we did make one for that price point that should go 70ish.

Lots of scavenging tho.

Morbus
May 18, 2004

Turtle Sandbox posted:

They should just leave their lovely tech jobs and get a good ups driver gig then.

learn 2 drive

Eric Cantonese
Dec 21, 2004

You should hear my accent.

Thoguh posted:

Don’t worry, if your employer chooses to offer it as a benefit you can divert up to $5,000/year in to a tax advantaged savings account to pay childcare expenses. But you have to make the decision to find that account during benefits selection the prior year and if your circumstances change in the 15 months after that we’ll too bad, you should have known last September! Also you have to spend that entire amount of money during the year you put it aside or too bad, it’s forfeit.

And no paying a family member for child care out of those funds, gotta use a stranger.

So simple, accessible, and $5,000 definitely covers childcare for a year.

Dependent care FSAs are such an enormous pain in the rear end. Be prepared to have your receipts go through 2-3 rounds of revisions because the FSA administrator, who gets to keep to all undistributed funds that are still in the account by the end of the reporting period, has found some supposed defect that prevents you from getting your own money back.

FSAs are generally poison. It makes me so mad that people on the center and right portions of our political spectrum think they're a realistic solution to our healthcare cost woes.

Also, $5000 is a lot for some families. Having to put it behind some kind of screen before you can get to it for what might be minimal tax savings may be more pain than it's worth.

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

PMC jobs are largely hereditary and it turns out that a lawyer’s salary doesn’t buy what it bought your dad in the eighties

Mokelumne Trekka
Nov 22, 2015

Soon.

simple just live at home and wait for that sweet sweet inheritance when their parents die off (a bit before the 22nd century begins)

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

Glumwheels posted:

There should be a service or educational series that teaches people how to gently caress over the government to avoid clawbacks. Transfer those assets super early!

That service exists and it’s the lucrative field of estate law.

Eric Cantonese
Dec 21, 2004

You should hear my accent.

Get your housing in rezoned business districts where corporate office buildings have been converted into large apartment towers. Room with 8 other people to keep expenses under control and scrimp and save.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

Yup. Gotta pay your 1500 per person rent in your sharehouse, get into your GM MRAP Thin Blue Line Edition (the cheapest on the lot) that you pay 1200 a month for, and go drop off your kid at daycare and pay the 1800 a month in kid rent.