Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

Update : Deerskin loving owns.

Thanks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

High Warlord Zog
Dec 12, 2012

feedmyleg posted:

I mean, yeah, but I was hoping y'all could cut it down for me a bit. And most King stuff I've watched doesn't have the town and spooky vibe of it as all that prominent.

Ramsey Campbell's Ancient Images maybe

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

High Warlord Zog posted:

this came to mind for me as well, although a lot of the novel is like a british landscape road trip.

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

Do you like scary movies?

High Warlord Zog posted:

That's one of my top favorite books. I've already had two copies fall apart from all the rereads I've done. Kinda surprised there's been no movie adaptation of it.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Opopanax posted:

Well yeah, but good crap or bad crap?

Meg 2 was 0% fresh on the Tomatometer after the first batch of reviews. It's now up to 28%, but pretty much every "fresh" review is of the form "It's stupid poo poo, but [what did you expect/it's great if you like poo poo movies/so was the original]".

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Xiahou Dun posted:

Thanks.

:hellyeah: it does, you're welcome

Ambitious Spider
Feb 13, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
Watched Occult, which I enjoyed quite a bit, but still prefer senritsu kaiki file kowasugi

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

CelticPredator posted:

I don’t think I’ve loved a single thing the voyage director did. Autopsy of Jane doe was half good, scary stories was a quarter good. So idk. Not remotely excited about it at all. I’ll catch it on streaming

Trollhunter is good bro.

oh god oh fuck
Dec 22, 2019

Meg 2 was honestly a little better than I was expecting but my expectations were in the basement. The dialogue reminds me of garth merengi which helps it dip into occasionally being entertaining

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Xiahou Dun posted:

Thanks.

Yeah Deerskin whips huge amounts of rear end. I think that's one of the last movies where I laughed until my sides hurt, besides EEAAO.

WHY BONER NOW
Mar 6, 2016

Pillbug
What are some movies where a monster is stuck in a cage but then escapes and kills everyone?

Alien Resurrection
Cabin in the Woods
King Kong
The Fly II, sort of I guess

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Every Jurrasic Park except 3 I think

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

Braindead.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

Opopanax posted:

Every Jurrasic Park except 3 I think

JW2 especially, like ridiculously on the nose.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Anyone have any spooky YouTube channels they like?

High Warlord Zog posted:

This looks rad. Thank you!

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
Today will be a good day :

Have all day to watch spooky movies
Making Red Beans and Rice with Ham Hock along with Collard Greens with Ham hock

So far:

Basket Case

Coming up :

Cob Web

????

Suggestions welcome.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

WHY BONER NOW posted:

What are some movies where a monster is stuck in a cage but then escapes and kills everyone?

Alien Resurrection
Cabin in the Woods
King Kong
The Fly II, sort of I guess

Deep Blue Sea

Erin M. Fiasco
Mar 21, 2013

Nothing's better than postin' in the morning!

Hollismason posted:

Today will be a good day :

Have all day to watch spooky movies
Making Red Beans and Rice with Ham Hock along with Collard Greens with Ham hock

So far:

Basket Case

Coming up :

Cob Web

????

Suggestions welcome.

You've seen like every movie! I don't know what to suggest!

Watch, I dunno, the Japanese film Cursed from 2004, as well as The Cook The Thief His Wife And Her Lover. And, like, Bride of Re-Animator. And The Raven with Vincent Price & Boris Karloff. Yeah!

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
I've decided that I'm going to just keep watching Basket Case movies because I can't remember anything about the 2nd and 3rd

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

Isn’t there a scene in Meg2 where Statham attacks the 150 foot long shark with a katana or something like that?

I thought I caught a glimpse of a scene like that in a trailer a while back (I wasn’t paying close attention)

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!

Hollismason posted:

I've decided that I'm going to just keep watching Basket Case movies because I can't remember anything about the 2nd and 3rd

lol you're in for a good time

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Baron von Eevl posted:

Trollhunter is good bro.

Forgot that was him. It is great so yeah I got one movie I love from him lol

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
Just got around to In the Mouth of Madness with Sam Neill as I'd never got around to it before. It's a fun movie. I particularly like the exchanges like "I am not fiction!" "I think, therefore you are." it gives the second line a cute double meaning. I also love the wry bits like "What about the people who don't read?" "There's going to be a movie." "A movie... of course..." And let's not forget the ending that became a meme, with Sam watching the entire story playing out as a movie exactly as he experienced it and just allowing himself to give in as he bursts into laughter at the futility of his struggle and just stays there, watching the movie on repeat.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
Cobweb is a wild ride.

Flying Zamboni
May 7, 2007

but, uh... well, there it is

BioEnchanted posted:

Just got around to In the Mouth of Madness with Sam Neill as I'd never got around to it before. It's a fun movie. I particularly like the exchanges like "I am not fiction!" "I think, therefore you are." it gives the second line a cute double meaning. I also love the wry bits like "What about the people who don't read?" "There's going to be a movie." "A movie... of course..." And let's not forget the ending that became a meme, with Sam watching the entire story playing out as a movie exactly as he experienced it and just allowing himself to give in as he bursts into laughter at the futility of his struggle and just stays there, watching the movie on repeat.

One of the best movie endings in history.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
Cobweb was at least interesting. I mean I give it like a B- . Overall just real disjointed.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Flying Zamboni posted:

One of the best movie endings in history.

:hellyeah:

Lumbermouth
Mar 6, 2008

GREG IS BIG NOW

Xiahou Dun posted:

One of my favorite movies. Every single scene is a masterpiece.

Like when they try to do the pan-away fade-to-black sex scene, but the camera points at the mirror so you can see them awkwardly grope-humping and the camera pans away suddenly. Or every single time he says some terrible colonial poo poo and everyone just gets really awkward and hates him.

The sequel in Rio is also great, just it can’t quite get back to that high water mark.

The poultry warehouse lightswitch bit is one of my favorite recurring movie gags.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
Basket Case 2 goes loving hard. loving loved that Belial gets a sex scene in the film

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

ruddiger posted:

Deep Blue Sea

LL Cool J stand out performance in this one.

And can't ever forget, Deepest Bluest
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6cYcdBVQ8NM

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!
I need a good horror movie that primarily takes place at a carnival/fair or small amusement park that is not The Funhouse, Ghoulies 2, Freaks, or Haunt

Crescent Wrench
Sep 30, 2005

The truth is usually just an excuse for a lack of imagination.
Grimey Drawer

Origami Dali posted:

I need a good horror movie that primarily takes place at a carnival/fair or small amusement park that is not The Funhouse, Ghoulies 2, Freaks, or Haunt

Well, Romero's recently unearthed The Amusement Park immediately comes to mind.

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

Origami Dali posted:

Willy's Wonderland?

maybe Final Destination 3? although that deviates away from the rollercoaster

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Willys wonderland is a Chuck E. Cheese thing I think

Ambitious Spider
Feb 13, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
Cult absolutely slaps. Neo and Kudo should absolutely cross paths at some point

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

MariusLecter posted:

LL Cool J stand out performance in this one.

And can't ever forget, Deepest Bluest
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6cYcdBVQ8NM

“I’m like Daniel when he faced the lion!” pops in my head every once in a while.

Origami Dali posted:

Funland
Howling VI
Follow That Bird

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Ambitious Spider posted:

Cult absolutely slaps. Neo and Kudo should absolutely cross paths at some point

Neo is just such an amazing character to drop into the movie out of nowhere.

Naked Man Punch
Sep 13, 2008

They see me rollin';
they hatin'.
Watched Holidays (2016) and - well, it is a movie, you can't take that from it.

Anthology movies are always tough because most are so uneven. So, yeah, I liked a couple shorts ("Mother's Day," "Halloween," and "Christmas" are all decent), and I like the use of vintage holiday cards as title cards but when they drop a Jesus Christ-Easter bunny hybrid that makes no sense but "ooh, look! We're edgy!" and
a goofy snake puppet with a loving pompadour , I'm out.

Bleh, Holidays. I'll make sure you don't come every year. To my viewing rotation.

That last thought didn't work so well.

Naked Man Punch fucked around with this message at 02:04 on Aug 14, 2023

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Count me in for just being kinda 'eh' on Cobweb. It's mostly just twist upon twist with nothing really to say that I can discern, and isn't quite dumb enough to laugh at (though it's close). Caplan and Starr are real good though and it made me want to see them both together in a better movie.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

I’ll second Howling VI as shockingly solid. There’s a good argument it’s the best Howling, I’m just too lazy to rewatch all of them to make it*.

Drifter werewolf dude vs wizard with a freakshow and carnival. And if that isn’t good enough there are like 4-5 distinct transformation sequences with unique effects. It’s not exactly high budget, but they put a decent chunk of it into the werewolf effects (a.k.a. the best part of werewolf movies). Each time the dude changes it’s a whole new effect, ranging from the old screaming-spasming-wolf-ripping-out-of-person to a no poo poo classy all silhouette and shadow number.

I watched it last October and ever since it’s been high enough up in my internal ranking of best werewolf movies that I’m glad no one asks me that out of the blue.

*Hey for the challenge, what about a “rewatch to rank” meta challenge? A series you don’t remember well/fondly, watch ‘em all and give a ranking at the end. It’s a combination of the old second chance category and thread-favorite activity making lists. It even has a little difficulty slider for how long the series is : so someone who wanted something short, sweet and goofy in the middle could do Exorcist I, II and III, while those in for a long haul could run through all the Friday the 13ths.