Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Resdfru
Jun 4, 2004

I'm a freak on a leash.

latinotwink1997 posted:

The Foundation now has its own FTL ships including the ones used by the priests. It didn’t look like Hober went to sleep before he suddenly shot off to wherever. The sleep thing no longer seems relevant and was only used to initially make Gaal seem unique.

I don't think so. When the two clerics and hober came back to Terminus they were asleep in front (I think) and he was asleep tied up in the back and brother constant told him 'sorry we don't have an extra bed or whatever'

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

Yeah, the clerics put little green patches on their hands which put them to sleep before jumping.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Maybe the foundation has a form of FTL that doesn't require sleeping.

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003

Cojawfee posted:

Maybe the foundation has a form of FTL that doesn't require sleeping.

They probably do, or will soon. That was a pretty central theme in ~the books~ that the empire was stagnating while the Foundation was leaping way ahead of them technologically

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

What's not from the books (that I can recall) is any of the weird FTL rules or Spacers or anything. The show seems to be doing its own thing with all that.

Gaal being able to stay awake almost certainly has something to do with her being psychic. Seems likely the Spacers are psychic. Psychic powers being a requirement to get FTL to work, or even something developed to make FTL work better, seems like the direction this story is going.

Of course the Foundation is reviving the old technology that used computers, rather than psychics (assuming Spacers are psychic), so they end up with some more flexibility.

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003

Eiba posted:

What's not from the books (that I can recall) is any of the weird FTL rules or Spacers or anything. The show seems to be doing its own thing with all that.

Gaal being able to stay awake almost certainly has something to do with her being psychic. Seems likely the Spacers are psychic. Psychic powers being a requirement to get FTL to work, or even something developed to make FTL work better, seems like the direction this story is going.

Of course the Foundation is reviving the old technology that used computers, rather than psychics (assuming Spacers are psychic), so they end up with some more flexibility.

If I recall the only issue with FTL that affected some people was the unpleasant feeling upon entering hyperspace and leaving real space (I always imagined it like a roller coaster drop), but there was no requirement for being unconscious.

Computers were so primitive you had to plot your FTL jumps with slide rules and hand calculations, at least until the last 2 Foundation books when they got a little loose with the restrictions on computers.

Spacers were the first wave of humanity expanding off Earth so idk wtf is the point of this interpretation other than someone read Dune and was like hell yeah we need some Guild navigators Spacers!

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
I'm rewatching season one

So no one ever found out who exactly bombed the star bridge or why??

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Boris Galerkin posted:

There is no psychic child god or god at all. Those people are just psychics and people mistaken them as gods. The child god was just a projection, smoke and mirrors.
And a completely pointless one. The real leader said she wanted to observe them while they thought they were talking to someone else, but she can literally read their minds. What additional information could she possibly get from very briefly observing them? And why did the fake god have no shadow? It was, presumably, a psychic projection so shouldn't it have looked as real as their minds could make it? Or was it an actual hologram for some reason, even though they'd have no need of such technology?

stephenthinkpad posted:

How does the original emperor "wake up", you mean Demerzel flashes the extra large firmware into Day's brain and he becomes Cleon 1.0? And after he finishes his job Demerzel restores Cleon 14 or whatever back?
Or the stored version of him that Dawn and Dusk talked to?

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

They're clones and their name is Cleon which is just the word clone very slightly rearranged
The funny thing is, the name is from the book but in the book he's not a clone. He's just the emperor at the time Seldon was developing psychohistory.

Penitent posted:

Does Empire also have technology to do null fields and to store human consciousness inside of objects like the prime radiant or Seldon's crypt?
They have the technology to store human consciousness. We saw that when Dawn and Dusk talked to Cleon I.

Mr. Apollo posted:

Yeah, I’m guessing it’ll be a HAL-like situation where she has a secret directive that starts to conflict with her started directives of keeping the 3 amigos alive and safe.
When Dusk asked her about keeping things from him and Dawn, she said she serves "Empire", not an individual, but it felt like a very carefully worded answer to me, implying that she might not mean what he thought she meant (ie. that she serves the three currently living Cleons).

Eiba posted:

I'm still assuming the animal that Constant left with Mallow when he took the spaceship is the thing (psychic or not) that allows the FTL to work.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
I've read the books. I see this show as a whole different thing that uses elements from the books to tell a new story. I don't know why people post book things in this thread, it's fuckin stupid.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Tiggum posted:

And why did the fake god have no shadow? It was, presumably, a psychic projection so shouldn't it have looked as real as their minds could make it?

Presumably because, yeah, that's as real as they could make it. The fake boyfriend also had flaws (the weight inconsistencies) but those flaws are easily overlooked by most observers thanks to psychic manipulation.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Open Source Idiom posted:

Presumably because, yeah, that's as real as they could make it. The fake boyfriend also had flaws (the weight inconsistencies) but those flaws are easily overlooked by most observers thanks to psychic manipulation.

The weight thing makes sense (aside from all the completely reasonable explanations that Salvor and Gaal came up with at the time) because the computer was reporting the guy's stats accurately since it had no mind to be manipulated by the psychics. The shadow is different because it should be just as easy to make an illusion of a shadow as it is to make an illusion of a solid body to cast the shadow. The only explanation is that whoever was controlling the illusion somehow forgot shadows are a thing and didn't include one.

alexandriao
Jul 20, 2019

I think it's setting up that holographic projections cannot project shadows as a future plot point

alexandriao
Jul 20, 2019

Like I don't think it's fair of the audience to poke holes where there are none just because we haven't been given the rules or limits of the system (or, uh, any information, to be honest).

If they do have clearly designed rules around the system it comes off like some guy from the 1400s poking holes at a modern physician because they're washing their hands, if that analogy makes sense.

The counterpoint of the "wait why dont they just make them see a shadow" where you're making up rules of the fictional system, is refusing to suppose rules where none exist and using that to poke holes, like the Star Wars nerds getting angry without taking a second to reason "well people stand up inside of starships so it has to have an internal gravity imparting momentum" or "it's the gravity well of the planet/star destroyer" or even "Maybe other people dont slam ships at lightspeed because they aren't suicidal and it would gently caress up all the hyperspace routes tout suite"

alexandriao fucked around with this message at 06:59 on Aug 15, 2023

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Tiggum posted:

The weight thing makes sense (aside from all the completely reasonable explanations that Salvor and Gaal came up with at the time) because the computer was reporting the guy's stats accurately since it had no mind to be manipulated by the psychics. The shadow is different because it should be just as easy to make an illusion of a shadow as it is to make an illusion of a solid body to cast the shadow. The only explanation is that whoever was controlling the illusion somehow forgot shadows are a thing and didn't include one.

I mean, I've seen enough bad photoshop to know that people forget shadows exist all the time, but maybe it's also more resource intensive than the psychics were capable of? Or, like Rachel House said, it's not worth the energy since most people fill those blanks in themselves.

Seldon -- whose new body im guessing isn't entirely biological given that the person who gave it to him, they implied, wasn't a biological life form herself -- might also have the same advantages as the computer.

Snowmanatee
Jun 6, 2003

Stereoscopic Suffocation!

alexandriao posted:

I think it's setting up that holographic projections cannot project shadows as a future plot point

That’s a technology. The psychic manipulation is entirely mental. And it’s not a future plot point because it already happened. We saw the prime radiant projection’s shadow (a technology) is a bit uncanny, like it falls off too early when it goes out of range. This child god shadow thing is clearly a minor mistake by the writers because a shadow would fall into the category of visual hallucination that is as easy to mimic as anything else.

Snowmanatee
Jun 6, 2003

The rules have been clearly established. The entire point of the weight difference was to show they don’t have the ability to change the physical properties of anything, only gently caress directly with the brain’s sensory perception, of which they have complete control. It might not technically be a “mistake” if the writers decide shadows are somehow more complicated than faking voice/clothing/smell/whatever, but it would be real loving stupid. Anyway, hopefully it’s never mentioned again.

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003

Tiggum posted:

I'm still assuming the animal that Constant left with Mallow when he took the spaceship is the thing (psychic or not) that allows the FTL to work.

that animal is going to be the Mule

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
Does this show ever foreshadow anything and come back to it later?

Kaal
May 22, 2002

through thousands of posts in D&D over a decade, I now believe I know what I'm talking about. if I post forcefully and confidently, I can convince others that is true. no one sees through my facade.

stephenthinkpad posted:

I think you always know what each episode is going to be like. I’ve enjoyed the second season but it’s all very stream of consciousness.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

stephenthinkpad posted:

The monologue at the beginning of the first episode of the first season actually talks about everything that's happening now in the second season

Apparently the people in charge of the show have an actual eight season plan not just going by the seat of their pants.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Apparently the people in charge of the show have an actual eight season plan not just going by the seat of their pants.

I feel like that plan is them going by the seat of their pants.

DropsySufferer
Nov 9, 2008

Impractical practicality

I can imagine four seasons before they start to run of out ideas but Eight seasons I don't know. I am in it for the long haul as long Lee Pace stays around. Looking forward to Season 7 with Cleon the CXI newest romantic plot: can he marry his own clone.

Trying
Sep 26, 2019

They're clones and their name is Cleon which is just the word clone very slightly rearranged

There’s a right way to be dumb

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Pickle: Inspected.

Snowmanatee posted:

The rules have been clearly established. The entire point of the weight difference was to show they don’t have the ability to change the physical properties of anything, only gently caress directly with the brain’s sensory perception, of which they have complete control. It might not technically be a “mistake” if the writers decide shadows are somehow more complicated than faking voice/clothing/smell/whatever, but it would be real loving stupid. Anyway, hopefully it’s never mentioned again.
I got some bad news, the next 3 episode titles are "Why Was There No Shadow," "The Shadow's Emergence," and "Final Death of the Shadow" so strap in.

I'm rewatching season one

So no one ever found out who exactly bombed the star bridge or why??
I think the point was that it didn't matter because psychohistory predicted it would occur and psychohistory doesn't care about the individual.

But also I thought it just ended up being 2 people from the planets they bombed.

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
The point is blowing up a space elevator make for good prestige television.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

Listen I don't think TV shows should make you do homework but there's some solid and helpful info in the first episode of the companion podcast.

Legs Benedict
Jul 14, 2002

You can either follow me to our bedroom or bend over that control throne because I haven't been this turned on in FOREVER!
huh???

Ninurta
Sep 19, 2007
What the HELL? That's my cutting board.

Yup. So, did Hober Mallow miss his exit and end up in Hyperion?

LinkesAuge
Sep 7, 2011
The whole "magic" of predicting patterns in Seldon's story is the cringe inducing way (stupid) writers like to portray intelligent characters. Is that really the best idea you had? He can "predict" the exact spot where space animals are running through? Come on.
Also I actually prefer Asimov's absense of character work if that's how you use your TV shows time. Did we really need this super generic backstory? I'm not even sure what its supposed to tell us. Seldon is human afterall?
I don't even really understand why his boss did what she did, like why was that the option she chose? And why should I care about this bland "villain" or Seldon's reaction to it...
Why does everything need to be so one-dimensional and bathed in tropes, be it super generic abusive father, tragic love interest or all the messiah talk/allegories.

A big theme of Foundation or better said psychohistory is the mundanity of human history. Repeating patterns and a "predictability" at a larger scale and that not every character is "special" or has a deep "dramatic" backstory is reinforcing that idea, it is the reality of the mundane. I get that it's hard to write this sort of character in a TV show because you want the "cheap" drama to pad out your story but it's just so lazy.
There is just nothing "grounded" in this show and that will be to its detriment because psychohistory has never been properly established so any later attempts to show its flaws or subvert it won't really hit because it's not even properly established in the audience's mind (the show keeps treating it as mumbo jumbo magic SciFi prophecy). Instead we get the most generic "deterministic future" talk despite the fact that this is explicitly NOT what psychohistory is about and yet they chose to focus the story so much around that with Gael's vision.
So we get this tired trope instead of exploring the main interesting concept of Foundation... like actually looking at and portraying systemic forces/institutions that drive society in a certain direction (which could be very topical if you tried that) but I guess that would need competent writing and you can't have characters complain about their feelings every two seconds and their personal quest as "chosen ones".

Usually I wouldn't even be this "mad" about stuff like that but it's just weird to use Foundation of all SciFi material out there to tell a story that couldn't be more at odds with the generic hero's journey and you could still do it but you would need to use some creativity, not to mention how the Foundation material is the perfect opportunity to actually subvert the hero's journey trope.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
They finally found a way to make the Cleon stuff interesting with the mystery of the missing memories and then all they show is more "I'm ending the genetic whatever, and I'm marrying this woman" that we've already heard about 50 times.

alexandriao
Jul 20, 2019

Listen I don't think TV shows should make you do homework but there's some solid and helpful info in the first episode of the companion podcast.

Theres a companion podcast?

Like its done by... the show runners?

Wha???

alexandriao
Jul 20, 2019

They would benefit from starting season 3 with a top down view of the empire type deal, Gall sitting down and explaining how Psychohistory was a revelation to her, person of interest style "we have this information on people in the empire and we have so much of it we now have formulas that can predict, on the order of hundreds of years, where people will flow, how their mass actions coalesce into aingle actions", etc.

I get wanting to jump into the action but this exactly — they need to establish rules for the setting

Snowmanatee
Jun 6, 2003

alexandriao posted:

Theres a companion podcast?

Like its done by... the show runners?

Wha???

Yeah, most prestige TV shows have something like this nowadays. I've never listened to one before but I might give this a shot.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!

Ninurta posted:

Yup. So, did Hober Mallow miss his exit and end up in Hyperion?
Hyperion mini-series when?

Bradley Cooper has the rights currently and wants to turn the two books into one loving movie. Luckily it has stalled for a while now.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Snowmanatee posted:

Yeah, most prestige TV shows have something like this nowadays. I've never listened to one before but I might give this a shot.

Only one I've listened to is Station Eleven and that was definitely a big recommend if you liked the show. Obviously this isn't possible with Foundation but for one episode they had the author of the Station Eleven novel on to talk about the differences with the show.

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020

Cojawfee posted:

They finally found a way to make the Cleon stuff interesting with the mystery of the missing memories and then all they show is more "I'm ending the genetic whatever, and I'm marrying this woman" that we've already heard about 50 times.

Has the show or Day ever explained the benefit of stop cloning the emperor?

Like your empire is built on a one major distinctive ideology, how to you go about changing it mid course and expect the power hierarchy stay intact? It's like telling all the Egyptian farmers no building Pyramid doesn't not in fact guarantee your king a godly afterlife.

Killer robot
Sep 6, 2010

I was having the most wonderful dream. I think you were in it!
Pillbug

stephenthinkpad posted:

Has the show or Day ever explained the benefit of stop cloning the emperor?

Like your empire is built on a one major distinctive ideology, how to you go about changing it mid course and expect the power hierarchy stay intact? It's like telling all the Egyptian farmers no building Pyramid doesn't not in fact guarantee your king a godly afterlife.

It's a relatively recent development of a much older empire so it's more like when they wound down the pyramid era and went back to fancy tombs.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

stephenthinkpad posted:

It's like telling all the Egyptian farmers no building Pyramid doesn't not in fact guarantee your king a godly afterlife.

Yes, that would be a confusing thing to tell somebody.

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020

Killer robot posted:

It's a relatively recent development of a much older empire so it's more like when they wound down the pyramid era and went back to fancy tombs.

I am pretty sure the pharaohs who built the 3 big pyramids and pharaohs who went back to built underground tombs belong to different dynasties. In fact I think there were many unremarkable dynasties between them.

I am not say you can't package the new ideology and sell it to your subjects as the better thing. For example, that queen girl can kill the Cleons and establish her new empire dynasty under the new rule. But Cleons can't do it, his entire life and his entire identity is tied to "cloning emperors", he probably has made many scholars written books on why cloning is the superior way. There may be temples everywhere that worship the cloning concept. He can't change, he has to stay with the established way of life. If it fails, he has to go down with the ship.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

So I guess with de-aging CGI we're at the end of the era of casting a different actor for "Young X", huh?