Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Nehru the Damaja posted:

Any suggestions for an RPG with oldschool gonzo fantasy feel (e.g. crazy violence, wild sci-fi crossover, and a heavy emphasis on weird poo poo) but without trying to go all OSR in mechanics?

DCC. It's only in the OSR by culture, it's actually closest to D&D 3e (without character optimization) in terms of mechanics.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vadun
Mar 9, 2011

I'm hungrier than a green snake in a sugar cane field.

Nehru the Damaja posted:

Any suggestions for an RPG with oldschool gonzo fantasy feel (e.g. crazy violence, wild sci-fi crossover, and a heavy emphasis on weird poo poo) but without trying to go all OSR in mechanics?

Gamma World, maybe 7e? It's basically D&D 4e but better.

Parkreiner
Oct 29, 2011

Nehru the Damaja posted:

Empire of Dust.

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

Nehru the Damaja posted:

Gamma World,I think (someone will correct me here) 8th edition? The one that's a super streamlined 4E

e: lol I should click next page before replying

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
Yeah, seconding that. It has a very 80s-90s JRPG feel.

I don't know what OSRish mechanics you're trying to avoid, but if you just want it to be rules-lite, Furies of the Barrens is my favourite Black Hack based attempt at a Gamma World type setting. It's hard to beat Gamma World 7e for wackiness.

Mutant Year Zero isn't exactly zany, but it's not complicated, not OSR, and certainly not hard sci-fi. And you get to build a little mutant town

walruscat
Apr 27, 2013

Bucnasti posted:

There is a Monthly TTRPG online convention, called TTRPG Pickup Con.
https://warhorn.net/events/ttrpg-pickup-con/

The events tend to fill up fast, but I played in one a few months ago and it was pretty good.

Thank you!

Gatto Grigio posted:

I’ve had the best luck with tRPG Discord threads.

SA has its own trad games Discord channel, as does System Mastery. Most of the major rpg companies also have channels.

Where do I find these discord server links?

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

When I think of OSR I think of games kind of intended for shorter form or at least "your character is gonna die, don't get too attached," along with gritty rules for death and injury, and kind of a limited character creation suite. Looking to avoid that in favor of broader character creation and something intended to tell longer-term stories with character growth.

Whether it's complex or rules-light isn't really a concern.

edit: This is in reply to the folks suggesting gonzo fantasy stuff for me.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

walruscat posted:

Thank you!

Where do I find these discord server links?

SA TGers have at least three discords (I think they lean in one topical direction like one that is more about RPGs, one that is more about board games, one or two for Mafia, etc.), and someone will send you a link to theirs, I just want to make it clear these aren't "official" SA places - SA mods don't have any presence or power there.

I only bring it up because there's been a certain amount of drama from time to time. I know that there are many very good folks on those discords including some folks I consider friends, so please don't take this as a negative.

Bucnasti
Aug 14, 2012

I'll Fetch My Sarcasm Robes

Nehru the Damaja posted:

When I think of OSR I think of games kind of intended for shorter form or at least "your character is gonna die, don't get too attached," along with gritty rules for death and injury, and kind of a limited character creation suite. Looking to avoid that in favor of broader character creation and something intended to tell longer-term stories with character growth.

Whether it's complex or rules-light isn't really a concern.

edit: This is in reply to the folks suggesting gonzo fantasy stuff for me.

As mentioned above DCC can be the game you're looking for, but you gotta meet it half-way.
On the surface it's all about the one shots, high lethality, quick character creation etc. Default character creation is a zero-level funnel.
But once you get past those first levels the game actually can support a lot of character growth, it's just not mechanically defined, they expect you to develop campaigns your own way, and specifically state things like "You wanna learn to do something cool and unique? no problem, go on a quest to learn it."

I really love DCC, but I think it suffers for the OSRy presentation.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
I like DCC's acid fantasy style, and I like the Mighty Deeds mechanic. But I need spell failure mechanics like a loving hole in my head, and I don't care about the Gygaxian verbiage at the beginning of the corebook about how this game is for you if you love Erol Otus. Considering the game is synonymous with the "LOL your 0th level shitfarmer got eaten by Cthulhu" style they're specifically not looking for...yeah, I don't see any point in going with DCC.

Like, there's also nothing wrong with Mutant Future. I like Other Dust rules-wise but it doesn't openly embrace the silliness of Gamma World.

Y'know, if you count Metamorphosis Alpha and Omega World as editions, the 4e-adjacent one is the 9th edition. I can't think of any other TSR game went through so many actual rules revisions.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!
I feel like this one has to be an intentional joke, but it's funny either way.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

PurpleXVI posted:

It's tagged as Satire

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

They actually do have the Elflines game thing for RED.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

PurpleXVI posted:

I went to look that up to see if it got anyone, and it didn't, but it's charming seeing a lot of replies from people having their first discussion about why D&D 5e is pervasive and endlessly hacked instead of trying other established games.

Love this reply though:

quote:

First off, you're playing the inferior cyberpunk game. Switch to Shadowrun, immediately.

ItohRespectArmy
Sep 11, 2019

Cutest In The World, Six Time DDT Ironheavymetalweight champion, Two Time International Princess champion, winner of two tournaments, a Princess Tag Team champion, And a pretty good singer too!
"When I was an idol, I felt nothing every day but now that I'm a pro wrestler I'm in pain constantly!"

shadowrun ftw (not an endorsement of shadowrun)

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

I'm drat sure that the main thing that gave Shadowrun its evident economic success is, in fact, that it keys into the D&D globosphere so strongly, allowing you to, in fact, play an elf -- but with a computer!

Admiralty Flag
Jun 7, 2007

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Nessus posted:

I'm drat sure that the main thing that gave Shadowrun its evident economic success is, in fact, that it keys into the D&D globosphere so strongly, allowing you to, in fact, play an elf -- but with a computer!

My favorite thing about the Shadowrun world is that there are humans who get cosmetic surgery to change their ear shape. They're known in-universe as "elf posers." Elves of course react to them with bemusement, pity, or disgust.

Also, why would you play an elf with a computer when you could play a troll mage or an orc physical adept who ginsus everything with swords and throws knives like a whirlwind?

Gray Ghost
Jan 1, 2003

When crime haunts the night, a silent crusader carries the torch of justice.
Weird question, but are there any formal guidelines (in Fatal & Friends or elsewhere) for critiquing an adventure path? I’m finally clearing out my collection an adventure at a time and felt inspired to write about what I thought constituted good and bad modules.

LatwPIAT
Jun 6, 2011

Admiralty Flag posted:

Also, why would you play an elf with a computer when you could play a troll mage or an orc physical adept who ginsus everything with swords and throws knives like a whirlwind?

Sometimes I just want to look ethereal and fay.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I think the big reason Shafowrun was more successful than Cyberpunk is that FASA was a bigger company with much higher production values.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Halloween Jack posted:

I think the big reason Shafowrun was more successful than Cyberpunk is that FASA was a bigger company with much higher production values.
That's a big part of it, but it also had a defined default play loop, taken from D&D: "a mysterious stranger in a tavern (Mr. Johnson) tells your party of elves, wizards, and fighters (elves, wizards, and street samurai) about a dungeon full of monsters and treasures (high security corporate research lab) outside of town".

Cyberpunk was more like "well, here's a collection of stuff from every cyberpunk novel and movie and anime...have fun!"

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Halloween Jack posted:

Maximum Mike played the long game

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe

ItohRespectArmy posted:

shadowrun ftw (not an endorsement of shadowrun)

This is every Shadowrun fan, myself included.

Shadowrun during the TTRPG boom of the early 90s was some top notch material. They really nailed the atmosphere and made it all a living breathing world.

Ratoslov
Feb 15, 2012

Now prepare yourselves! You're the guests of honor at the Greatest Kung Fu Cannibal BBQ Ever!

FMguru posted:

That's a big part of it, but it also had a defined default play loop, taken from D&D: "a mysterious stranger in a tavern (Mr. Johnson) tells your party of elves, wizards, and fighters (elves, wizards, and street samurai) about a dungeon full of monsters and treasures (high security corporate research lab) outside of town".

It's slightly more refined than that, because you get a mission there. So you can get a good variety of gameplay options out of varying mission objectives. The defined default play loop even extends to the setting lore, which the Shadowtalk helps refocus setting stuff on how you use this particular bit of stuff in an actual game of Shadowrun. All this stuff was really remarkable when it came out, and there's still a lot of games that struggle with this poo poo.

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

Gray Ghost posted:

Weird question, but are there any formal guidelines (in Fatal & Friends or elsewhere) for critiquing an adventure path? I’m finally clearing out my collection an adventure at a time and felt inspired to write about what I thought constituted good and bad modules.

Not really. Libertad reads through them and gives his thoughts (see his recent recent one about a biblical adventure), and I've used a sample party to play through them and document thoughts as I go.

Basically :justpost:

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Ratoslov posted:

It's slightly more refined than that, because you get a mission there. So you can get a good variety of gameplay options out of varying mission objectives. The defined default play loop even extends to the setting lore, which the Shadowtalk helps refocus setting stuff on how you use this particular bit of stuff in an actual game of Shadowrun. All this stuff was really remarkable when it came out, and there's still a lot of games that struggle with this poo poo.
It's sad how many RPGs don't seem to know what G they're supposed to be.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"
I think with Shadowrun I would've preferred like, a fantasy setting that got to that era instead of the real world but suddenly fantasy, but then its heyday was the early 90s and being set in the real world was the thing to do.

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

Nehru the Damaja posted:

Electric Bastionland is very good and is 'OSR' but is not actually really compatible with old DnD in any way. Also it actually explains how to run the game well, and it even has a two-page "Player's Guide" spread that you can give to players to explain to them how the system works from a player perspective and what the expectations are!

It's kind of like "what if Troika was good" and also "what if OSR people actually tried to properly build a system around their intentions".

NinjaDebugger
Apr 22, 2008

Panzeh posted:

I think with Shadowrun I would've preferred like, a fantasy setting that got to that era instead of the real world but suddenly fantasy, but then its heyday was the early 90s and being set in the real world was the thing to do.

Shadowrun is technically both!

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Luckily, I *did* save your old avatar. Fucked around and found out indeed.

bewilderment posted:

Electric Bastionland is very good and is 'OSR' but is not actually really compatible with old DnD in any way. Also it actually explains how to run the game well, and it even has a two-page "Player's Guide" spread that you can give to players to explain to them how the system works from a player perspective and what the expectations are!

It's kind of like "what if Troika was good" and also "what if OSR people actually tried to properly build a system around their intentions".

drat, that's a selling point for sure. I'll check it out.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Panzeh posted:

You're just saying that because your cyber-eyes have cored out part of your soul.

It would be interesting if they did a projection like this from Iron Kingdoms, which is the best 'fantasy game extends into the early modern period' I can think of.

Zorak of Michigan
Jun 10, 2006

Halloween Jack posted:

I played Cyberpunk and Cyberpunk 2020 for a couple years before I tried Shadowrun. Right up until I played it, I thought Shadowrun was just silly. The moment I actually set down and read the rulebook, I knew I liked the Shadowrun system better. It was far from perfect (and after 3E it went downhill, kids get off my lawn) but it was more expressive and interesting than Cyberpunk's.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I never got too familiar with Cyberpunk's system, but having come from Shadowrun, it felt a little disappointing that the way to level up is just more chrome. Shadowrun not only had different types of magic, there were specific implants you could build your character around. (I don't know if you can have both Wired Reflexes and a Vehicle Control Rig, but who does that?) CP2077 kinda embraced that with the Cyberdeck/Sandevistan/Berserk options.

FMguru posted:

Cyberpunk was more like "well, here's a collection of stuff from every cyberpunk novel and movie and anime...have fun!"
I've been talking about this in the CP2077 thread and, in the end, it's something I like a lot about Cyberpunk--though having an assumed gameplay loop is IMO unequivocally a good thing.

In Shadowrun, shadowrunners are mercenary commandos, usually attacking one megacorp on behalf of another. In Cyberpunk, a mercenary is just a mercenary--Edgerunners are people who fight the corporate status quo. Which is not to say that shadowrunners can't get involved in big political events, plenty of the modules do that. But the core game doesn't tell you to be some kind of anarchist, or give you a goal beyond the ¥10,000,000 price tag on a life of luxury.

Cyberpunk 3.0 embraced the idea of Edgerunners as a political faction building entire communities. I'd like to see that come back. Imagine a Night City Commune taking over during the Time of the Red. Much better than the city being run by a 150-year-old samurai cosplayer and cultists who gouge their own eyes out.

Halloween Jack fucked around with this message at 15:00 on Aug 16, 2023

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

I just wish I'd known how much better Shadowrun was on the Genesis than the SNES.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

The SNES version had its own charms. I actually liked it better than the Genesis version.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
The Genesis game has deeper gameplay and mechanics that more closely match the tabletop. The SNES game doesn't look like poo poo.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry

NinjaDebugger posted:

Shadowrun is technically both!

Shadowrun didn't hit the modern era as a fantasy setting, though. That's kind of a big point - if you're not human-sized and -shaped, the world was literally not made for you.

Well Played Mauer
Jun 1, 2003

We'll always have Cabo
I like Cyberpunk’s world view and openness better, and RED is actually a pretty decent system, but Shadowrun definitely seemed to “get” what the game should be. It’s cool that Cyberpunk lets you be a noir detective or nomadic gun runner tribal dude or a corporate raider but what I usually wanna do is shoot up a bunch of red shirts and stick it to the Cyber Man.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Well Played Mauer posted:

I like Cyberpunk’s world view and openness better, and RED is actually a pretty decent system, but Shadowrun definitely seemed to “get” what the game should be. It’s cool that Cyberpunk lets you be a noir detective or nomadic gun runner tribal dude or a corporate raider but what I usually wanna do is shoot up a bunch of red shirts and stick it to the Cyber Man.
On behalf of the other Cyber Man?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Well Played Mauer
Jun 1, 2003

We'll always have Cabo
Don’t bother me with such trifles.