Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: PoundSand)

Pingui
Jun 4, 2006

WTF?

CGI Stardust posted:

it's worth distinguishing between SAGE and Independent SAGE - the former is the official government advisory body, the latter is a group of concerned scientists, health professionals, and researchers who've been keeping track of goings-on; there's only a little overlap (2 of 19 in Indie SAGE are in SAGE). SAGE hasn't published anything in 2023 afaict, whereas Indie SAGE has been doing weekly video round-ups.

lol, just lol, if you think members of an official UK government advisory board would be recommending masking, or any action at all other than sitting back and breathing nature's vaccine deep

lmao, that is amazingly lovely naming. SAGE as an advisory group is already indicating independence.

It even tripped up the Independent (the newspaper), as they write "independent" uncapitalized.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pandy fackler
Jun 2, 2020

pandy fackler has issued a correction as of 19:25 on Mar 22, 2024

mags
May 30, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!

pandy fackler posted:

i would rather get covid again and possibly mpox than go to burning man

ah but as far as we can tell burning men cant catch covid

Pingui
Jun 4, 2006

WTF?
Checking on Denmarks overall wastewater tracking and well... I may be in danger again (note the scale to the left - blue is RNA copies, green is hospitalizations).

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

pandy fackler posted:

i would rather get covid again and possibly mpox than go to burning man

Ironically, if you wanted to catch covid and mpox at the same time your top three options are probably ComicCon, Sturgis or Burning Man :v:

Stay safe, Lacrosse :ohdear:

Raskolnikov2089
Nov 3, 2006

Schizzy to the matic

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

Ironically, if you wanted to catch covid and mpox at the same time your top three options are probably ComicCon, Sturgis or Burning Man :v:

Stay safe, Lacrosse :ohdear:

I'll have you know Southern Decadence is in two weeks. I will not put up with your homosexual erasure.

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:
youd be doing society a favor if you masqued of the red death burning man imo

Zantie
Mar 30, 2003

Death. The capricious dance of Now You Stop Moving Forever.
Washington state's weekly update, cobbled together from the state's excel reports Cumulative Counts and EpiCurve Counts.

Recent Hospitalizations
Hospitalizations of Washington state residents dated by week of first admission due to confirmed or probable COVID-19.

pre:
Hosp.      Changes in state counts reported:			7-Day
week of:    4wk ago  3wk ago  2wk ago  1wk ago  This week	Total:
Aug 13            -        -        -        -       + 43          43
Aug 06            -        -        -       49      + 147         196
Jul 30            -        -       35      123       + 18         176
Jul 23            -       40      103       17        + 1         161
Jul 16           36       91       21        6        + 1         155
All Older       107       18        7       -1        + 5          
Recent Deaths
Deaths due to confirmed/suspected COVID-19 are dated week of death.

pre:
Deaths*    Changes in state counts reported:			7-Day
Aug 13            -        -        -        -        + 0           -
Aug 06            -        -        -        -        + 8           8
Jul 30            -        -        -        9        + 6          15
Jul 23            -        -        4        5        + 2          11
Jul 16            1        2        3        1        + 0           7
All Older        14       10        1        -        + 1         
And now for the least useful metric...

Recent Cases (Molecular + Antigen)
Cases are dated as first specimen date of either PCR or antigen test unless greater than 90 days since previous positive, then it is considered a reinfection.

pre:
Cases      Changes in state counts reported:			7-Day
Aug 13            -        -        -        -      + 405         405
Aug 06            -        -        -      610    + 1,619       2,229
Jul 30            -        -      575    1,522       + 60       2,157
Jul 23            -      413    1,246       43       + 12       1,714
Jul 16          403      952       28       18        + 1       1,402
All Older       891       92       40       10    + 1,516          
Weirdly most of the ~1,500 "All Older" cases added this week have sample dates from all over 2021 with a few from 2020. The oldest one is from a sample taken the week of Feb. 9th, 2020!

A lot of older hospitalization numbers got added and removed too, all around neighboring weeks of each other, but the net difference was just an additional five. Based on that I think, for the hospitalizations at least, what happened was a resort for date of admission. This is different from the older cases as they appear to be ones that weren't officially recorded to begin with.

Pingui
Jun 4, 2006

WTF?

Al! posted:

youd be doing society a favor if you masqued of the red death burning man imo

I don't think killing random people with a biological agent is "doing society a favor".

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:

Pingui posted:

I don't think killing random people with a biological agent is "doing society a favor".

i do. debate me

Pingui
Jun 4, 2006

WTF?

Al! posted:

i do. debate me

Alright, I'll start a thread in D&D so we can hash this out.

Pingui
Jun 4, 2006

WTF?
:rubby:

https://www.cnbc.com/2023/08/16/new-covid-boosters-are-on-the-way-will-they-be-covered-by-insurance.html posted:

The next Covid booster is on the horizon: Will the vaccine be covered by insurance?
(..)
Will insurance cover the newest Covid booster?
The straightforward answer is that having the cost of your booster covered depends on what your insurance company decides, says Dr. Sorana Segal-Maurer, director of infectious diseases at NewYork-Presbyterian Queens.

If you get your vaccines at your local pharmacy, consider asking a pharmacist at the location if your insurance covers Covid boosters, she adds. They’ll likely have your insurance plan on file and can advise you, Segal-Maurer says.

For others, it boils down to the decision of their employer, says Patel. She hopes that employers will see the value in their employees getting coverage for their Covid vaccines.

“I would recommend it to people who make those decisions for their employees. This can only help. If you’re able to help protect your employees, you’ll actually pay it back in spades of more people being able to come to work,” Patel says.

“I think it’s a win-win situation if employers are able to cover this and if insurances cover the booster.”

If you don’t have insurance or your provider isn’t covering the cost of your vaccine, booster shots should also be available for free through local public health authorities, Patel adds.
(..)

Pyrolocutus
Feb 5, 2005
Shape of Flame

Well this is ominous.

https://twitter.com/SolidEvidence/status/1691876356307693709

fosborb
Dec 15, 2006

Chronic Good Poster

THEYRE HEALED!

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
Stay safe, Ohio poop ghost

Zantie
Mar 30, 2003

:ohdear:

Pingui
Jun 4, 2006

WTF?

Pyrolocutus posted:

Well this is ominous.
(..)

Maybe they got a second infection and Paxlovid cleared it up :unsmith:

Zantie
Mar 30, 2003

Maybe they finally got to go on that trip to Paris?

BOGO LOAD
Jul 1, 2004

"You know I always had trouble really chewing the fat with my pops. Just listen to him..."
I dunno, this is like a xenomorph dropping off your motion tracker.

Poppers
Jan 21, 2023

I’ll eat out to help out 🖖🏻😜

Pingui
Jun 4, 2006

WTF?

Only getting 50% off though...

deadwing
Mar 5, 2007

rip ohio supershitter we will miss you

Phigs
Jan 23, 2019

Pingui posted:

Only getting 50% off though...

Eat out and I love to stimulate and Sunak's leering face all together are not leaving me with pleasant thoughts.

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

nexous posted:

drat you joe biden

I've been saying this since the 80s and I still say it now.

CGI Stardust
Nov 7, 2010

Brexit is but a door,
election time is but a window.

I'll be back

Pingui posted:

lmao, that is amazingly lovely naming. SAGE as an advisory group is already indicating independence.

It even tripped up the Independent (the newspaper), as they write "independent" uncapitalized.
the name means Indie SAGE can get quoted in our fractionally-less-lovely newspapers as if they're official and important, occasionally sneaking an "uh-oh, masking time" out into the public consciousness, where it gets promptly ignored

they do the best they can, bless em, but there's only so much Cassandra: The Organisation can do in a nation run by people who collect wooden horses :kiddo:

Pingui
Jun 4, 2006

WTF?

CGI Stardust posted:

the name means Indie SAGE can get quoted in our fractionally-less-lovely newspapers as if they're official and important, occasionally sneaking an "uh-oh, masking time" out into the public consciousness, where it gets promptly ignored

they do the best they can, bless em, but there's only so much Cassandra: The Organisation can do in a nation run by people who collect wooden horses :kiddo:

That's fair enough.

Mr. Pizza
Oct 5, 2009

I noticed hidrb.com wasn't in the list of Paxlovid providers in the OP and I want to chime in that I got pax through them just last week, $15, never had to actually talk to anyone. Literally took 3 minutes from submitting the thing to receiving email confirmation that it was approved and the prescription had been sent to my local pharmacy. I said I was unvaccinated, former smoker, and moderately overweight.

I also did Sesame but had to talk to a person via video, otherwise easy.

and lol all the expiration dates have been scratched out by hand

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
its covid

Gildiss
Aug 24, 2010

Grimey Drawer
So EG.5 is really taking off in Korea.
Deaths(+40.2%) and hospitalizations(+21.5%), too.
The caseload only increased slightly, but they also do not mention at all that there was a typhoon grinding across the entire peninsula last week, which may have had an impact on testing numbers.

https://ncov.kdca.go.kr/tcmBoardView.do?gubun=BDJ&brdId=3&brdGubun=31&dataGubun=&ncvContSeq=7265&board_id=312&contSeq=7265

quote:

During the 2nd week of August (8.6~8.12), the number of new confirmed cases was 349,279, an increase of 0.8% compared to the previous week, but the rate of increase slowed.

The weekly average daily number of confirmed cases was 49,897, and the infection reproduction index was 1.04, which decreased below 1.1 for two consecutive weeks from the 1st week of August.

* Weekly accumulation: (3rd week of July) 253,000 → (4th week of July) 313,000 → (1st week of August) 346,000 → (2nd week of August) 349,000
** Daily average: (3rd week of July) 36,258 people → (4th week of July) 44,841 people → (1st week of August) 49,523 people → (2nd week of August) 49,897 people

Last week, the number of severely ill patients in the hospital increased by 21.5% from the previous week to a daily average of 215, and the number of new deaths increased by 40.2% from the previous week (97 → 136), with a daily average of 19.

* Weekly daily average number of critically ill patients in hospital: (July 3rd week) 142 → (July 4th week) 170 → (August 1st week) 177 → (August 2nd week) 215
** Weekly daily average number of deaths: (3rd week of July) 7 → (4th week of July) 13 → (1st week of August) 14 → (2nd week of August) 19

Currently, all Omicron subsystems, including EG.5 (XBB.1.9.2.5), a subvariant of XBB.1.9.2, are designated as major mutations and are closely monitored. The detection rate of EG.5 in the second week of August was 20.3%, which showed the highest increase in detection* among major mutations identified in Korea.

* Domestic detection rate: (7.3 weeks) 11.8% → (7.4 weeks) 17.8% → (8.1 weeks) 16.8% → (8.2 weeks) 20.3%

The detection rates of XBB.1.9.1 - 23.1% (+1.5%p), XBB.1.16 - 20.5% (+1.1%p), and EG.5 - 20.3% (+3.8%p) increased compared to the previous week, and XBB.1.9 .2 and XBB.2.3 decreased by 9.8% (-2.8%p) and 16.3% (-0.8%p).

PoundSand
Jul 30, 2021

Also proficient with kites

Zantie posted:

Washington state's weekly update, cobbled together from the state's excel reports Cumulative Counts and EpiCurve Counts.

Appreciate this post, kind of a bummer because this is the first semester my wife has to go back to teach in person. 2021 Was distance due to covid protocals, she got fall 2022 off from fmla, and her department let her do spring virtually too cause she was still in chemo, but we wrapped up treatments this summer and now they all expect her to go back. Fortunately it's university teaching and she only has a couple classes a week and can stay home otherwise, but they always find ways to pull people in for meetings (and love to have them over lunch!) so we're a bit worried.

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

PoundSand posted:

Appreciate this post, kind of a bummer because this is the first semester my wife has to go back to teach in person. 2021 Was distance due to covid protocals, she got fall 2022 off from fmla, and her department let her do spring virtually too cause she was still in chemo, but we wrapped up treatments this summer and now they all expect her to go back. Fortunately it's university teaching and she only has a couple classes a week and can stay home otherwise, but they always find ways to pull people in for meetings (and love to have them over lunch!) so we're a bit worried.

mask up, say no, stay masked up. She's had cancer for christ sake who's going to gainsay her.

Indoor Dying
Dec 13, 2022

Pingui posted:

quote:

..consider asking a pharmacist at the location if your insurance covers Covid boosters...
:rubby:

My pharmacist told me they haven't heard anything about a new covid booster :rubby:

harrygomm
Oct 19, 2004

can u run n jump?
i know it’s overkill and only tangential to covid but the aranet4 has been brought up before here. looks like it’s 20% off on their site right now and this listing on amazon is even a bit cheaper still

StratGoatCom
Aug 6, 2019

Our security is guaranteed by being able to melt the eyeballs of any other forum's denizens at 15 minutes notice

deadwing posted:

rip ohio supershitter we will miss you

I too hope it means he/she/they got Pax eventually :unsmith:

StratGoatCom has issued a correction as of 00:41 on Aug 17, 2023

Nothus
Feb 22, 2001

Buglord

:ohdear:

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

harrygomm posted:

i know it’s overkill and only tangential to covid but the aranet4 has been brought up before here. looks like it’s 20% off on their site right now and this listing on amazon is even a bit cheaper still

It's a useful device. I learned from it that my apartment has really lovely ventilation - a horribly loud fan in the kitchen vent hood that can lower CO2 by maybe 100 ppm per hour, and one in the bathroom that runs automatically but doesn't do much beyond venting shower steam. 12 hours with closed windows and 2 people inside gets CO2 up from 5-600 to 1800 ppm. Obviously opening the windows clears it out but it sucks to have to do it when it's hot/humid/smoky/lovely AQI outside which for some reason is happening more often lately.

Pingui
Jun 4, 2006

WTF?

Indoor Dying posted:

My pharmacist told me they haven't heard anything about a new covid booster :rubby:

Yeah, that decisions haven't been made and communicated yet, is gonna make the whole thing a clusterfuck of epic proportions.

Buffer
May 6, 2007
I sometimes turn down sex and blowjobs from my girlfriend because I'm too busy posting in D&D. PS: She used my credit card to pay for this.
the aranet is a great way to drive yourself insane for like a week opening windows and investigating house plant additions

A++ would buy again

Lacrosse
Jun 16, 2010

>:V

Phigs posted:

Yep, this is the third time we've seen it now.

Understandable that someone would miss it though given the speed of the last thread and then its death.

Eric Ding keeps retweeting the guy with the bad data so I've stopped posting his tweets too.

I have no idea where to find correct info anymore now that Musk hosed Twitter up. :argh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

eXXon posted:

It's a useful device. I learned from it that my apartment has really lovely ventilation - a horribly loud fan in the kitchen vent hood that can lower CO2 by maybe 100 ppm per hour, and one in the bathroom that runs automatically but doesn't do much beyond venting shower steam. 12 hours with closed windows and 2 people inside gets CO2 up from 5-600 to 1800 ppm. Obviously opening the windows clears it out but it sucks to have to do it when it's hot/humid/smoky/lovely AQI outside which for some reason is happening more often lately.

High co2 fucks with your cognitive functions and the aranet4 taught me that I was hitting 1900+ ppm in the winter with the door closed while working.