Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

kiimo posted:

Prediction: he sucks and then gets a mysterious injury and DTR never gives the starting job back to him.

edit: but then the Browns trade him and go with Deshaun again next season because it's the Browns

On Watson: They didn't give themselves any outs on that contract, he's just there one way or the other for a while. If he's bad enough to bench, then you bench him and pay him. And play someone on a rookie contract as far as I can tell.

And if he somehow ends up good enough that anyone would trade for him he'll be good enough to keep I guess.

e: other option: Josh Dobbs to the rescue!

Grittybeard fucked around with this message at 03:08 on Aug 17, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Freaquency
May 10, 2007

"Yes I can hear you, I don't have ear cancer!"

YOLOsubmarine posted:

The Bills with Josh Allen barely squeaked by the Skylar Thompson lead Dolphins. The Chargers finally made the playoffs in their third year with with their top 5ish QB and got bounced in the first round by the Jags who also managed to lose to the Giants.

Guess a player is only valuable if they can single-handedly win you a Super Bowl so the list of valuable players in the NFL are:

Patrick Mahomes

Mahomes lost that Super Bowl where he hit a dude with a dart while parallel to the ground

Everyone is a fraud, let’s just admit it. There are no good players or teams

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

kiimo posted:

How did the Pats manage to lose the only receiver that they stumbled into rear end-backwards with Jakobi Meyers

A really funny thing happened and he lateraled the Patriots out of the playoffs.

fsif
Jul 18, 2003

Diva Cupcake posted:

A really funny thing happened and he lateraled the Patriots out of the playoffs.

lol just went to watch this play again as is my duty whenever I'm reminded of it and just discovered I can listen to a Zolak version of the call.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yrpyyWjeq4c

Bismack Billabongo
Oct 9, 2012

New Love Glow
The titans have a pretty wide variety of outcomes that I would be unsurprised by. They won’t bottom out barring tannehill getting injured or traded or something but the oline is going to determine whether that happens. He had a lot of issues last year because of how bad the line was and he always has been a guy who gets hit a lot so if the line is that bad again then they’ll be bad because Billy Jeans isn’t ready and even if Malik Willis is better he’s not going to take this team anywhere currently.

I think the line will be a little better but still probably not good. Good enough to win the division? Eh maybe. The jags are going to be really bad defensively again and they are going from a last place schedule to a first place one

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

GD_American posted:

Question- is there anywhere that has tried to quantify how well a player has over/underperformed vs. their draft position? Like, an overall database for draft classes back x number of years?

I’m on mobile so I’m not gonna search, but I remember trying to find a database for something like that a few years ago.

I didn’t find any databases but I did find some articles and interviews about it.

If you do find that database please share!

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Make it happen, fitterer.

Ches Neckbeard
Dec 3, 2005

You're all garbage, back up the truck BACK IT UP!
The Browns could always restructure Watson into the NFL's Bobby Bonilla lol

https://overthecap.com/player/deshaun-watson/5596

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!

Ornery and Hornery posted:

I’m on mobile so I’m not gonna search, but I remember trying to find a database for something like that a few years ago.

I didn’t find any databases but I did find some articles and interviews about it.

If you do find that database please share!

Closest I could come is this weirdly formatted article

https://www.washingtonpost.com/graphics/sports/nfl-draft-history/?tid=graphics-story#NFL

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
Lots of Davante Adams erasure going on in this thread. Him JJ and Hill are on their own level imo.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Chase is better than Davante imo

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

Nah Davante has that dog in him more than Chase.

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!
https://twitter.com/chargers/status/1691903008257523744

:unsmith:

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

Impossibly Perfect Sphere posted:

Randy Moss was traded three times.

Turns out there are not very many franchise GMs

E: Chase and Adams are both god tier but I guess you cut the tie in favor of youth

I’m also biased towards Adams because I remember him utterly torching the Pats very early in his career and thinking “god drat this kid is going to be a star”. And then he was, marking like my only correct film eval ever.

Docjowles fucked around with this message at 06:06 on Aug 17, 2023

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

sweet thursday
Sep 16, 2012

:coal:

Bellmaker
Oct 18, 2008

Chapter DOOF

JT Jag posted:

I think the Titans are going to be way worse than some of their fans are hoping, largely because the offensive line isn't actually even close to fixed and the defense isn't as good as it has been in recent years, but I can't really see them having worse than a 6-11 season because the staff is good

True but they also have a floor of 4 wins with them playing the Colts and Texans twice :v:

8-9 or 9-8 seems feasible

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

Pictured: Deuce Vaughn without his pads on.

MrLogan
Feb 4, 2004

Titans would be the favorite for the #1 seed in the NFC. It cannot be stated enough how bad the NFC is right now. Even by the usual NFC standards.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

MrLogan posted:

Titans would be the favorite for the #1 seed in the NFC. It cannot be stated enough how bad the NFC is right now. Even by the usual NFC standards.

lol no they wouldn't.

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

MrLogan posted:

Eagles???

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?
I like how Stroud is trying to spin this even though the Jets said earlier this week or late last that they decided to just do one joint practice.

https://twitter.com/NFLSTROUD/status/1692158407669649831?s=20

wandler20 fucked around with this message at 15:11 on Aug 17, 2023

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

Also, Stroud reported it on Monday that they would only have 1 practice?
https://twitter.com/NFLSTROUD/status/1691110443866263552

sirtommygunn
Mar 7, 2013

e: nevermind, twitter was just acting up for me

shirts and skins
Jun 25, 2007

Good morning!

MrLogan posted:

this take rules

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

It is kind of odd to just do the one joint practice though right? I thought 2 was sort of the agreed upon standard.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

The Eagles were one turnover away from being Super Bowl Champs and they debatably got better than any team in the league during the off-season. Like the NFL allowed them to somehow get Jalen Carter. That’s going to be a problem soon.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

The Eagles and the 49ers have the 2 most talented rosters in the NFL and I don't think it's particularly close.

MrLogan
Feb 4, 2004

The Eagles are going to regress to the mean. They will still win games because they play against even worse teams in the NFC, but it's unlikely that they are the least injured team in the NFL two years in a row.

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

Ehud posted:

It is kind of odd to just do the one joint practice though right? I thought 2 was sort of the agreed upon standard.
Sure, they also only did 1 joint practice against the Panthers last week although weather was apparently a factor in Reich calling it.

Saleh cited injury risk and productivity as they tend to get chippy with fights breaking out. The only issue is framing it as having "bailed" today when the beat reported all week that there was only going to be one joint. Blatant engagement farming.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

MrLogan posted:

The Eagles are going to regress to the mean. They will still win games because they play against even worse teams in the NFC, but it's unlikely that they are the least injured team in the NFL two years in a row.

The Eagles blasted the Titans 9 months ago

Titans still can't block

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

MrLogan posted:

They had an easy schedule last year but it's not that much harder this year. I don't really see any reason to think they are going to be any worse than they were last year unless they have a lot of injuries. It's a really really good team.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Yeah, the Eagles aren't the solid rock you'd think they are based on how they performed last year against an easy schedule and a joke of a playoff run, but <waves hands at the NFC>, doesn't matter. They'll be a failure if they don't get at least 12 wins and the #2 seed.

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through
i am a titans fan and i do not think we stack up against the eagles, niners and maybe not dallas lol.

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?
So explain the NFC having a winning record over the AFC last year. A bunch of frauds with fancy franchise QB's but nothing else.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

da bears

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Diva Cupcake posted:

Sure, they also only did 1 joint practice against the Panthers last week although weather was apparently a factor in Reich calling it.

Lightning storms and flash floods.

They were preparing to do it afaik

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

The titans would suck in both the AFC and NFC. Thank you for listening to my ted talk.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

mcmagic posted:

The titans would suck in both the AFC and NFC. Thank you for listening to my ted talk.
A good talk, I'd listen again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kurgarra Queen
Jun 11, 2008

GIVE ME MORE
SUPER BOWL
WINS

wandler20 posted:

So explain the NFC having a winning record over the AFC last year. A bunch of frauds with fancy franchise QB's but nothing else.
The Bills were so fraudulent they out-frauded the Vikings!