Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

Nuebot posted:

what if they made it look like redline, do people still like redline?

Hell do you mean do people still like redline.

In any case, as much as I LOVE redline, I do not feel that’s the right animation style for uc gundam.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Judau regularly proves himself to be a top-tier Newtype. He almost fried Haman's brain once, remember?

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Darth Walrus posted:

Judau regularly proves himself to be a top-tier Newtype. He almost fried Haman's brain once, remember?

Yeah I think half of his stuff was like he was just massively loving up other newtypes perceptions and abilities and he didn't even have to consciously think about doing it.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

That Works posted:

Yeah I think half of his stuff was like he was just massively loving up other newtypes perceptions and abilities and he didn't even have to consciously think about doing it.

Also seriously powerful Newtype telekinesis. At the end of the Psyco Gundam Mk. II battle, he was literally holding the ZZ together with his mind after it ran out of juice, and cut his enemy open with a literal blade of concentrated anger.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Elle and Roux could probably place on that list too if I recall -- mostly Roux. That said I imagine Judau is like a late-game unit appearance for Gihren's Greed.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Roux and Elle don't really do much in the way of fancy, flashy Newtype magic, but Elle's absurd genius for piloting might score her some points.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Darth Walrus posted:

Also seriously powerful Newtype telekinesis. At the end of the Psyco Gundam Mk. II battle, he was literally holding the ZZ together with his mind after it ran out of juice, and cut his enemy open with a literal blade of concentrated anger.

Oh drat that's right.

Burns
May 10, 2008

Its sort of funny that UC Gundam does a lot to make the technology of the setting seem somewhat plausable but when it comes to newtypes they just go *shrug*.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Burns posted:

Its sort of funny that UC Gundam does a lot to make the technology of the setting seem somewhat plausable but when it comes to newtypes they just go *shrug*.

That is intentional though. Like a major part of Newtypes is that they are not this easily defined scientific thing. They represent a potential psychic and spiritual blossoming of humanity that goes beyond the bounds of what we understand. That's why it is key that a big part of Newtype plot stuff is people looking at this potentially miraculous thing and going "How do we codify this into something easily understood so we can weaponize it." And the further they go on that the more frequently you get "wait, we built a machine that can summon loving ghosts?! How?!"

It's pretty common for sci-fi of the era to touch on this theme but it's also one of the neater things about Gundam. You have people witnessing a seeming miracle and their response is "Hmm, yes, but if I poke them the right way the can make this laser cannon fly around" and it works until the moment they poke too hard. You could probably trivially move it a few inches over and make it some Lovecraftian poo poo. (Which is actually kind of what Zone of the Enders does with Metatron.)

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 19:05 on Aug 18, 2023

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Nessus posted:

I think they're absolutely going to do a remake of 0079 in some form once Tomino is dead and cannot object.

I wish they had gone ahead with that weird short remake with the donut colony they did for that one weird RX-78 kit with the super articulation

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

ImpAtom posted:

That is intentional though. Like a major part of Newtypes is that they are not this easily defined scientific thing. They represent a potential psychic and spiritual blossoming of humanity that goes beyond the bounds of what we understand. That's why it is key that a big part of Newtype plot stuff is people looking at this potentially miraculous thing and going "How do we codify this into something easily understood so we can weaponize it." And the further they go on that the more frequently you get "wait, we built a machine that can summon loving ghosts?! How?!"

It's pretty common for sci-fi of the era to touch on this theme but it's also one of the neater things about Gundam. You have people witnessing a seeming miracle and their response is "Hmm, yes, but if I poke them the right way the can make this laser cannon fly around" and it works until the moment they poke too hard. You could probably trivially move it a few inches over and make it some Lovecraftian poo poo. (Which is actually kind of what Zone of the Enders does with Metatron.)

It turs out Newtypes are just Psykers

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Look anime has a lot of screaming voiceovers but I don't know if Gundam can match the unhinged screams of a 40K psyker voiced by Michael Dobson.

primaltrash
Feb 11, 2008

(Thought-ful Croak)
https://texmerquise.com/products/nmx-pint-glass

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

"Is that your final dandy?"

Gripweed posted:

I've been saying this for years.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

drrockso20 posted:

From my recollection Thunderbolt went with an alternate explanation for its version of the Ground Gundam with them explicitly not being actual Gundams at all, just very high end GM's with Gundam style heads to make them more spooky to their opponents, but Thunderbolt is explicitly an AU so is its own thing

The Origin is as explicitly an AU as Thunderbolt; the original manga for both is explicitly it's own take on the setting, and the animation for both was deliberately made ambiguous in whether it was meant to fit with the other animations or not before later promotional material like the Hathaway setting guide refer to both as their own take on UC.

drrockso20 posted:

What I meant was that it was the one version that was reliable not that it wasn't in the novels

Oh sure; I see what you mean now. That said, I don't really think the Colony Laser in the original was a finicky POS and the one issue it had that limited it's usability was foreseen based on the use of testing parts. Gihren just decided to fire it early to wipe out his father rather than wait a day or two for the testing parts to be replaced in order to make it fully usable. There's really nothing there to suggest the engineers didn't understand the technology or that it was badly built or anything.

If you did suppose a scenario where it failed in some fashion though regardless, then I think Char would be in worse shape because of it since Gihren jumping ship because his gambit had failed would mean Lalah still died, but A Baoa Qu wouldn't happen; the end result of which is likely to be that Char never forces a confrontation where he comes a literal inch from death due to his helmet saving him from Amuro's sword stab and wouldn't have any closure on his desire to kill Amuro. So he'd probably just seethe for a while before taking whatever chance Kycilia presents when she eventually makes a move on the Federation once she's in control of Side 3 i.e. no turn as Quattro where he tries to be a better person, because he'd probably never had the realizations or desire to be that man in this scenario.

Nessus posted:

I think they're absolutely going to do a remake of 0079 in some form once Tomino is dead and cannot object.

I genuinely don't get why people think Sunrise wouldn't make it simply because Tomino might object, or would criticize it in interviews. He already slates staff on things like NT in interview, and that demonstrably has no effect. It didn't stop it being made, and it wasn't the cause of sales issues by anyone's measure. He also largely doesn't care what Sunrise does with the franchise now, and only uses the name Gundam because it's necessary for Sunrise to fund his projects, like Reconguista in G, which he considers a post-Gundam work and not actually Gundam.

tsob fucked around with this message at 01:59 on Aug 19, 2023

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

If they're saving it for anything, they're saving it for the 50th anniversary in 2029

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Waffleman_ posted:

If they're saving it for anything, they're saving it for the 50th anniversary in 2029

I suspect that Unicorn 2 is a test. If they can make hour long weekly episodes work and it gets good ratings, that’s how they’ll do a MSG remake. Make it a big primetime event show to get the biggest mainstream audience possible. Something whole families will watch together.

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

I don't think Tomino is keeping Sunrise/Bandai Namco from remaking 0079 more that they probably don't see it as being worth the hassle given a remake would probably piss of old fans and new fans are more easily on boarded with new Gundam series. Plus the Zeta movies being a wet fart probably cooled any plans

SatoshiMiwa fucked around with this message at 06:04 on Aug 19, 2023

haypliss
Oct 2, 2022
They shouldn't have half-assed those Zeta movies.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

tsob posted:

I genuinely don't get why people think Sunrise wouldn't make it simply because Tomino might object, or would criticize it in interviews. He already slates staff on things like NT in interview, and that demonstrably has no effect. It didn't stop it being made, and it wasn't the cause of sales issues by anyone's measure. He also largely doesn't care what Sunrise does with the franchise now, and only uses the name Gundam because it's necessary for Sunrise to fund his projects, like Reconguista in G, which he considers a post-Gundam work and not actually Gundam.
He has a gun, tsob

They're not suicidal

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

They probably should of either used all old footage or just reanimated everything for the Zeta movies cause the visual clash just stands out way to much but than that wouldn't correct the other problem the movies have of not being a good movie retelling of the TV series like the 0079 ones are

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

SatoshiMiwa posted:

They probably should of either used all old footage or just reanimated everything for the Zeta movies cause the visual clash just stands out way to much but than that wouldn't correct the other problem the movies have of not being a good movie retelling of the TV series like the 0079 ones are

They made some puzzling choices in that product, yes. But hey, they got Gackt to do some songs for them so that was good enough for Sunrise I guess!

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

SatoshiMiwa posted:

I don't think Tomino is keeping Sunrise/Bandai Namco from remaking 0079 more that they probably don't see it as being worth the hassle given a remake would probably piss of old fans and new fans are more easily on boarded with new Gundam series. Plus the Zeta movies being a wet fart probably cooled any plans

I think another issue is merch. They can sell a billion new grandpa gundam kits just from the existing material, so the boost to gunpla would be minimal. Meanwhile, a new show might give them an evergreen like the Freedom or Barbatos they can sell in every new line going forward, in addition to selling a bunch of new kits while it's running.

Considering how expensive an "up to standards" remake could be, that's a serious drawback.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Gripweed posted:

Psykers or Orks? Char's red suits seems to imply the latter.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Synthbuttrange posted:

Psykers or Orks? Char's red suits seems to imply the latter.
Given Judau and Kamille I think we're on to something here

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine
The obvious answer is to do what we've already seen in various other revisits to the OYW, do redesigns of the originals that change things around enough to justify new model kits while hopefully not changing things too much that it makes the fans mad

Ojjeorago
Sep 21, 2008

I had a dream, too. It wasn't pleasant, though ... I dreamt I was a moron...
Gary’s Answer

drrockso20 posted:

The obvious answer is to do what we've already seen in various other revisits to the OYW, do redesigns of the originals that change things around enough to justify new model kits while hopefully not changing things too much that it makes the fans mad

I agree, they should animate For The Barrel.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

Ojjeorago posted:

I agree, they should animate For The Barrel.

I mean I love the aesthetic of For The Barrel and have seen some fun redesigns in that style but that would be a bad idea

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

haypliss posted:

They shouldn't have half-assed those Zeta movies.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

ImpAtom posted:

That is intentional though. Like a major part of Newtypes is that they are not this easily defined scientific thing. They represent a potential psychic and spiritual blossoming of humanity that goes beyond the bounds of what we understand.

It's also notable that Tomino didn't really want Newtypes to be a simple psychic thing or even just empathic being, but to be something more spiritual that transcended those simple labels and even fans generally just view them through that lens, at least partially because Tomino himself struggled to portray them the way he wanted and I'm honestly not even sure he knew what he wanted them to be. Their portrayal varies over the course of early UC quite a bit, from the more low key empathy in 0079 to the nearly shonen-esque power in ZZ and so on. I think frustration with that, with not being able to get what he felt they should be across and people not really getting that it wasn't just X or Y even in the real world because of it, is part of what caused him to lose interest in the concept to a large degree after Char's Counterattack.

Gripweed posted:

I suspect that Unicorn 2 is a test. If they can make hour long weekly episodes work and it gets good ratings, that’s how they’ll do a MSG remake. Make it a big primetime event show to get the biggest mainstream audience possible. Something whole families will watch together.

I'm of the opinion that, consciously going into it or not, Unicorn itself was also a test for Sunrise, with the take away from it being "we don't need to obsess on Amuro and the One Year War in UC to survive"; hence why they've made multiple animations since that aren't tied to the One Year War despite being in UC, such as NT and Hathaway, and even pretty definitively allowed Amuro and Char's characters to be stated as dead. The "Char Clone" in NT wasn't even really tied to Char, just another failed clone that didn't look or act like Char. Maybe they'll have another Char clone in Unicorn 2 or something, but I'd hope not personally.

drrockso20 posted:

The obvious counter point being that they don't need an entire new show to do that, and any such minor variations already shift on their own and can be advertised with 5 minute animations like the G-40 short or something if they really feel they need something. The live action movie, if it ever actually materializes, will probably serve that purpose anyway.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

To me Newtypes seem to be the personification of hope for the future and sometimes that ends up working for the good but in other ways that almost naiveté is twisted to bad purposes.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

tsob posted:

It's also notable that Tomino didn't really want Newtypes to be a simple psychic thing or even just empathic being, but to be something more spiritual that transcended those simple labels and even fans generally just view them through that lens, at least partially because Tomino himself struggled to portray them the way he wanted and I'm honestly not even sure he knew what he wanted them to be. Their portrayal varies over the course of early UC quite a bit, from the more low key empathy in 0079 to the nearly shonen-esque power in ZZ and so on. I think frustration with that, with not being able to get what he felt they should be across and people not really getting that it wasn't just X or Y even in the real world because of it, is part of what caused him to lose interest in the concept to a large degree after Char's Counterattack.

The novels really flesh out and explain better what Tomino meant with Newtypes, and it really boils down to "this is something new." He can't explain it because the words to describe it don't exist. And, from what we know about Tomino, I think he would even be a little opposed to the idea that we could explain it. This is a new thing for the next generation to understand.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Gripweed posted:

The novels really flesh out and explain better what Tomino meant with Newtypes, and it really boils down to "this is something new." He can't explain it because the words to describe it don't exist. And, from what we know about Tomino, I think he would even be a little opposed to the idea that we could explain it. This is a new thing for the next generation to understand.

That's...that's not really how language works though? You don't use an entirely new language to explain new concepts; you use existing language to describe it, and the new word or words are just short hand summations of parts of that concept people use more as society in general becomes more familiar with the concept. The internet changed just about every facet of people's lives and has resulted in a slate of new words, but if you want to explain something like tcp/ip, email, streaming etc. to someone you still use the same language to do so. I can certainly imagine that Tomino didn't want to explain it as anything beyond "new" as you put it, and that he wanted it to remain something audiences couldn't nail down (the fact there are multiple theories for what Newtypes even are in most shows certainly supports that) but if he did want to explain it, it's certainly possible.

I'd also still think it's likely he found the way people received and interpreted it a frustration, since even most fans did just take it more at face value. Which I don't think is really a thing you can blame them for when there's not really as much discussion in the animation of what Newtypes are or could represent, what makes them "new" and not just a repackaging of existing visions of what the future could be etc. Not surprisingly really, since Gundam was primarily an action show for kids meant to advertise toys and not a philosophical treatise or anything.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Newtypes, je ne sais quoi

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Newtypes aren’t a new technology based on previously understood principles. Newtypes aren’t “Uber for feelings”. They are an entirely new way for humans to exist with each other and our surroundings. It is extremely possible for a human being to imagine something they can’t put into words, it’s even possible to conceive of something you yourself can’t even fully understand because your thoughts are limited by your own experiences and language.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

What if there was a new type of guy

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
you can find those pretty often on the internet, except it's all new types of complete weirdos.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Turns out humans are capable of conceptualizing things they cannot themselves experience regardless of what generation they were born in.

Ojjeorago
Sep 21, 2008

I had a dream, too. It wasn't pleasant, though ... I dreamt I was a moron...
Gary’s Answer
New things are scary and bad, let’s return to the biking traditions of the Middle Ages.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Ojjeorago posted:

New things are scary and bad, let’s return to the biking traditions of the Middle Ages.

That's the exact thought process of some mobile suite designer in V Gundam