Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: PoundSand)

Morbus
May 18, 2004

Rosalind posted:

This has certainly given me the idea for a publication making data requests of all 50 states and assessing their responsiveness. It will, of course, be incredibly and universally bad. But academic publications like that do get attention.

I structured my entire dissertation around reproducible science using publicly available data so I have a very personal loathing for hiding data. I think it's pretty much one of the most reprehensible things a public health department can do. If they are worried about the public misinterpreting the data, then it's their job as a health department to produce effective messaging explaining and contextualizing the data, not hiding it from public view.

That sounds like a great idea for a paper, and already has the most important ingredient for success in any scientific endeavor involving lots of tedious work: revenge

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT

eXXon posted:

Some people think covid is airborne, others just want to wash their hands of the whole affair.

jesus coughed, pilate washed his hands

Nothus
Feb 22, 2001

Buglord
Rule #1 of science: Revenge is a dish best served cold

AK-47
Jul 10, 2001

Hey thread, got a quick question. My SO and I both caught covid at the same time/place and we're now at a point 9 days on and after a course of paxlovid that she is testing negative but I'm still positive despite feeling mostly normal again. Is there a chance I could re-infect her with the same thing we already had? We're just trying to figure out if I should be in isolation or how to handle being together in the same space.

Morbus
May 18, 2004

The Oldest Man posted:

drat this is pretty good news to see systemic immune performance like this after the kind of disappointing ChAdOx1 result. https://www.nature.com/articles/s41541-023-00717-8

Maybe strong enough results to kick the US drug approval apparatus off its rear end and get intranasal vaccines approved and widely distributed here? Or at least a step in the right direction.

It's interesting that the humoral response was better with the intranasal vaccine (especially for omicron), but otoh it doesn't look like it really made a difference in terms of IgA-ASC's even though they say it's "statistically significant". And I don't even see a plot or table anywhere with the sIgA measurements. Idk maybe need to read more carefully later but as far as the "intranasal vax = better mucosal immunity" hypothesis goes this is kind of disappointing result imo

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

AK-47 posted:

Hey thread, got a quick question. My SO and I both caught covid at the same time/place and we're now at a point 9 days on and after a course of paxlovid that she is testing negative but I'm still positive despite feeling mostly normal again. Is there a chance I could re-infect her with the same thing we already had? We're just trying to figure out if I should be in isolation or how to handle being together in the same space.

extremely unlikely, vanishingly so.

if this was a thing you'd see endless ouroboros reinfection circulation within households

Rescue Toaster
Mar 13, 2003

Steve Yun posted:

one week pre-positive periods

anecdotal, but a lot of my friends who popped positive this month were symptomatic for a long time before they got a red line

That's very concerning in terms of paxlovid treatment.

But for screening I suppose it's less concerning than increased pre-symptomatic timelines.

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

Steve Yun posted:

anecdotal, but a lot of my friends who popped positive this month were symptomatic for a long time before they got a red line

Rescue Toaster posted:

That's very concerning in terms of paxlovid treatment.

But for screening I suppose it's less concerning than increased pre-symptomatic timelines.

this is actually exactly how a simulated virus would respond to being aggressively confronted with the set of treatment guidelines and screens we've set up around paxlovid

lmaooooo

Oops! All evolutionarily tautological!

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

silicone thrills posted:

I've said it before but it really does matter for gender/stature a lot. I'm a smaller woman and ive definitely had a few odd run ins including at work.
That being said, only like 3 times in 3 years but Im also a home body anyway and have basically skipped a ton of events and professional stuff because i'd just rather not.

i'm a guy, i'm not short, but i am a minority and white people use that as their springboard to criticize my masking. they should all lose their driver's license at least, but it turns out that threatening to harm unarmed pedestrians while driving a large size motor vehicle isn't actually a crime

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
I love that BA.2.86 is a super hosed up mutant, but because none of its intermediates were sequenced and entered into databases, it gets a comparatively simple PANGO designation, versus something like EG.5 that has an ancestor that was a recombinant between two BA branches, so had to get an X designation, but then that string of numbers got too long so a new set of letters had to be assigned.

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

Morbus posted:

It's interesting that the humoral response was better with the intranasal vaccine (especially for omicron), but otoh it doesn't look like it really made a difference in terms of IgA-ASC's even though they say it's "statistically significant". And I don't even see a plot or table anywhere with the sIgA measurements. Idk maybe need to read more carefully later but as far as the "intranasal vax = better mucosal immunity" hypothesis goes this is kind of disappointing result imo

Yeah that is actually super weird given that "comparable or better humoral response + better slgA" is the story in the discussion.

Zantie
Mar 30, 2003

Death. The capricious dance of Now You Stop Moving Forever.

Pillowpants posted:

Good news guys! The CDC updated its variant sequencing data today. It's very helpfu...oh

I guess that is ok though - because the CDC updates its main wastewater data on Thursdays at 8pm. SEE!

Goddamn it

No worries though! Hospitalization Data is always updated on Friday mornings! gently caress

Ahahahahhah

lol

lmao

Guess I should start posting the Washington state variants here every week like I do for reddit since you guys don't get to see anything from the PNW anymore.

Anyway, best guess as to why the CDC is limiting the Nowcast info is because there aren't enough sequences being done from those communities to make an inference with their model. Lovely.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Zantie posted:

Anyway, best guess as to why the CDC is limiting the Nowcast info is because there aren't enough sequences being done from those communities to make an inference with their model. Lovely.

That can’t be true.

National COVID-⁠19 Preparedness Plan

Prepare for New Variants

As we work to keep ourselves protected against COVID-19, America must remain prepared for any new variant that may come our way. To do so, the Administration has developed a comprehensive plan for how we monitor this virus to stay ahead of it, adapt our tools swiftly to combat a new variant, and deploy emergency resources to help communities.

Before January 2021, the federal government had insufficient data and sequencing capabilities and was ill-equipped to respond to new variants. Electronic case reporting was in place for only a handful of states in 2020 and the country could sequence only 3,000 viral isolates per week. America had no plan for responding to a new variant or standing up comprehensive efforts to respond to a surge in COVID-19 cases.

The Administration has enhanced our collection, production, and analysis of data, and expanded electronic case reporting to all 50 states, Washington D.C., Puerto Rico, and thousands of health care facilities. The CDC now tracks a range of key COVID-19 response metrics including cases, tests, vaccinations, and hospital admissions in real-time. Additionally, the CDC launched – and is continually enhancing – the National Wastewater Surveillance System (NWSS) to track the presence of SARS-COV-2 in wastewater samples collected across the country. And America has established a world-class sequencing operation, sequencing up to 90,000 isolates a week. The CDC’s sequencing efforts can now reliably detect variants that account for as little as 0.1% of all COVID-19 cases circulating in the United States. And when new variants are identified, the federal government has a network of researchers – federal, academic, and commercial – who are able to study the sequence and assess mutations rapidly, allowing the government to respond quickly to concerning variants.

The Administration has also successfully built a robust emergency response infrastructure. Our surge response – led by the Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA) and HHS – developed capabilities to stand up over 100 federal mass vaccination sites and federal surge testing sites; distribute millions of critical supplies; and deploy thousands of federal clinical and non-clinical personnel to support states, Tribes, and territories. Since July 2021, the federal government has deployed over 4,000 military and non-military personnel including doctors, nurses, and paramedics; sent over 3,400 ventilators, ambulances, and other critical supplies; and shipped over 115 million pieces of PPE. And over the last year, FEMA has invested $300 million in state hospital preparedness to expand hospital capacity in 38 states.

Moving forward, the Administration will maintain our proven data, sequencing, variant response, and surge response capabilities. The CDC will continue to improve COVID-19 data collection, reporting, and analysis so America is better informed and ready to respond to new variants. And if new variants emerge, the federal government will leverage established playbooks to assess a new variant’s impact on our vaccines, treatments, and tests, and rapidly deploy the tools, personnel, and resources Americans need. America will also retain a significant stockpile of tools to combat COVID-19 that remain ready for deployment.

The Administration will work with Congress to secure the necessary funding to:
  • Improve our data collection, sequencing, and wastewater surveillance capabilities to immediately identify and detect new and emerging variants; and strengthen pandemic preparedness.
  • Leverage a COVID-⁠19 Variant Playbook to determine the impact of a new variant on our vaccines, treatments, and tests, and shore up and update our tools, if needed.
  • Utilize new FDA processes to expedite regulatory review of variant-specific versions of vaccines and treatments, so America can get them in place, if needed.
  • Support new FDA processes to expedite regulatory review of variant-specific versions of vaccines and treatments, so Americans can get them quickly if needed.
  • Leverage a proven COVID-⁠19 Surge Response Playbook.
  • Add at-home tests, antiviral pills, and masks for the general population to America’s stockpile for the first time.
  • The U.S. government has established a permanent logistics and operational hub at HHS to ensure accelerated development, production, and delivery of COVID-⁠19 vaccines and treatments.

e: I should emphasize that this is the March 2022 plan, from the same time as deprecating the community transmission map.

The Oldest Man posted:

Boy I would sure like to see that

🤡 “We will bill you if you ask again.”

Platystemon has issued a correction as of 00:01 on Aug 19, 2023

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

quote:

Leverage a proven COVID-⁠19 Surge Response Playbook.

Boy I would sure like to see that

CGI Stardust
Nov 7, 2010

Brexit is but a door,
election time is but a window.

I'll be back

Steve Yun posted:

https://m.timesofindia.com/life-sty...y/102771225.cms

might be worth keeping an eye out, buuuuut the Times of India is citing a Daily Mail article as their source, never a sign of reliability

Have YOU suffered from 'pre-Covid'? Phenomenon that sees symptoms appear week before positive test is on the rise again as variant Eris sweeps US posted:

You've probably experienced it at some point during the Covid pandemic — you fall sick with all the symptoms of the virus but consistently test negative. Then a week or so later, you take a turn for the worse and feel even more ill — and, perhaps miraculously, a test returns a positive result. The phenomenon, dubbed 'pre-Covid', is taking hold again amid a fresh uptick in infections from the virus.

One theory is that the period of symptoms before the positive test is caused by someone catching a mild bug or other virus, leaving their immune system more vulnerable to a Covid infection. Another is that it is simply the early stages of a Covid infection — known as the incubation period — and the amount of virus in the body is too low to detect via a test.

Dozens of people have shared their experiences with 'pre-Covid' on social media, another from Alaska wrote: 'Pretty sure I have Covid, but I keep testing negative...' They added: 'The person I live with has it and I'm definitely sick, just testing negative. I don't know if I should keep quarantining from her or not.' A third person from Canada said: 'I think I might be sick. Rapid tests are coming up negative though. 'The most prevalent symptom is that my sinuses hurt, and my nose is going back and forth from stuffy to sniffy. I'm sneezing a lot and I feel extra foggy.'
they're not quoting anyone saying it's a week or comparing Eris to previous variants, and what's described just seems like the standard not catching it on tests :shrug:

then a couple of quotes from doctors who say things that, if the pre-positive period is now a week, are wrong or irrelevant, and if not, mean the story is pointless because nothing has changed

quote:

People suffering flu-like symptoms who are testing negative for Covid could also have other diseases, however, such as the common cold. Explaining the pre-Covid phenomenon, Dr Stuart Fischer, an emergency medicine expert in New York City, told DailyMail.com: 'The symptoms that people relate might be their immune response to Covid [being triggered] from past exposure or vaccination. [fine] ... Asked how long this phase might last before someone tests positive for Covid, he said it would not be beyond a couple of days. [but what about a week?] Dr Fischer added that it was also possible for someone to have the symptoms, have Covid, but never actually test positive. [but the pre-COVID description is that they end up testing positive?] He said this was because the immune system would kick in and remove the virus before it had managed to gain a foothold. [but it did gain a foothold if they tested positive]

Dr Thomas Moore, an infectious diseases expert at the University of Kansas, said: 'It takes a while for the virus to be shed in enough quantities to be detectable. 'If you have symptoms and test negative initially, you should test again 48 hours ltaer. The chance of a positive test increases significantly every other day.' [yep] He added: 'There are also cases where patients are convinced that they have Covid or are concerned that they have Covid and test repeatedly but get a negative result because they don't have it. 'But if they keep testing, they may eventually test positive because they have coincidentally picked up the virus along the way.' [i... guess? seems to be stretching plausibility] Dr Moore also said people are likely to come forward to get a Covid test more rapidly than earlier in the pandemic because they are now more aware of the symptoms. [lol]
all in all, fantastic journalism. learned a lot

i normally don't bother posting stuff from the UK press, but here's another of the Daily Mail's recent-ish COVID articles where a doctor suggests masking up again because of cases, so for balance the Mail (mildly) implies masks are responsible for hampering child development

Doctor on PBS says people should start masking up amid small Covid uptick... even in your own HOME posted:

An epidemiologist said that Americans should still mask up inside, potentially even inside their own homes, amid the latest Covid-19 surge. Dr Katelyn Jetelina, epidemiologist at the University of Texas, told PBS News Hour last week that Americans should still 'be wearing masks in crowded areas, especially during a surge.' She also appeared to endorse wearing masks in your own home 'if you want to reduce household transmission.'

Dr Jetelina's mask recommendations come amid a swatch of recent evidence suggesting that Covid restrictions like mask-wearing have hampered growth and development in children. A CDC report published earlier this year found that from 2019 to 2021, the amount of kids ages three to 17 diagnosed with any developmental disability increased from 7.4 percent to 8.5 percent. That's a 17 percent increase. And boys were twice as likely to have one than girls, with one in 10 being diagnosed. Boys also had higher rates of intellectual disability than girls, with 2.3 percent diagnosed compared to 1.4 percent. Additionally, a paper published last January in the journal JAMA that looked at 225 children born in 2020 revealed babies were less likely to be crawling and smiling at themselves in a mirror within six months. It also showed they had reduced social and problem solving skills.

they also went all-in on that incredibly poo poo "masks damage health" study before it was criticised / retracted and they had to edit their story

i forget where i was going with this, but: the Daily Mail is poo poo. gently caress i hate the British press

harrygomm
Oct 19, 2004

can u run n jump?
i just caught up to the SAD thread that led to this version of the thread being created. is there an easy way to compare what Forbidden Covid Knowledge was in the previous OP that had to be taken out vs. current OP? i could do it easily enough in word or whatever, but, phone posting atm

fosborb
Dec 15, 2006

Chronic Good Poster

harrygomm posted:

i just caught up to the SAD thread that led to this version of the thread being created. is there an easy way to compare what Forbidden Covid Knowledge was in the previous OP that had to be taken out vs. current OP? i could do it easily enough in word or whatever, but, phone posting atm

just click the link for the last thread. it's at the bottom of the current op, as are all the previous threads

I have no interest in relitigating that SAD thread itt, just to be clear

PoundSand
Jul 30, 2021

Also proficient with kites
The previous thread is linked in the OP (https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3997695, for quick reference, others are there too), but the reboot is intended to be a fresh start that's been working well so try to err on the side of not picking at any intergenerational scabs.

StratGoatCom
Aug 6, 2019

Our security is guaranteed by being able to melt the eyeballs of any other forum's denizens at 15 minutes notice

That being said, there's important poo poo that needs to be there, like what is proper ppe and isn't, and how to low and slow swab... especially with this new and especially derived varient, which means if you want the bloody RATs to work right, they need every bit of help they can get, the bloody old rear end things.

Soylent Majority
Jul 13, 2020

Dune 2: Chicks At The Same Time

Gunshow Poophole posted:

the emotional toll of turning 40 is worse than the physical.

not emptyquoting

Zantie
Mar 30, 2003

Platystemon posted:

That can’t be true.

[snip]

e: I should emphasize that this is the March 2022 plan, from the same time as deprecating the community transmission map.

:actually:

Yeah, so much of that just isn't true anymore and I put a lot of blame on the public emergency ending earlier this year. The amount of sequences done per month for Washington state in Feb. compared to June went from over 2,000 to just 229 (60+ of which were from a separate airport surveillance program at SeaTac). July has at least edged up past 300 sequences.

And we're one of the "good ones" when it comes to states reporting. Oregon only reported 59 sequences from the entirety of June and a whopping 67 for July. Compare that to sequences from July of last year, Oregon reported over 2,400 and Washington reported over 6,900!

harrygomm
Oct 19, 2004

can u run n jump?

fosborb posted:

just click the link for the last thread. it's at the bottom of the current op, as are all the previous threads

I have no interest in relitigating that SAD thread itt, just to be clear

me either, not trying to raise a stink about it just curious to see what people thought was too out there. i heard cspam likes lists so i figured there might have already been one. i’ll take a look when i get to a computer sounds the easiest though

text editor
Jan 8, 2007

Gunshow Poophole posted:

this is actually exactly how a simulated virus would respond to being aggressively confronted with the set of treatment guidelines and screens we've set up around paxlovid

lmaooooo

Oops! All evolutionarily tautological!

This was exactly what I was thinking when I read that.

Policy-driven evolution lol

StratGoatCom
Aug 6, 2019

Our security is guaranteed by being able to melt the eyeballs of any other forum's denizens at 15 minutes notice

Zantie posted:

:actually:

Yeah, so much of that just isn't true anymore and I put a lot of blame on the public emergency ending earlier this year. The amount of sequences done per month for Washington state in Feb. compared to June went from over 2,000 to just 229 (60+ of which were from a separate airport surveillance program at SeaTac). July has at least edged up past 300 sequences.

And we're one of the "good ones" when it comes to states reporting. Oregon only reported 59 sequences from the entirety of June and a whopping 67 for July. Compare that to sequences from July of last year, Oregon reported over 2,400 and Washington reported over 6,900!

could I have some links for that?

Strep Vote
May 5, 2004

أنا أحب حليب الشوكولاتة

text editor posted:

This was exactly what I was thinking when I read that.

Policy-driven evolution lol

PESTILENCE: policy-driven evolution

It also works because our policies are eugenicist v:unsmith:v

adebisi lives
Nov 11, 2009
https://twitter.com/shay_fleishon/status/1692531900491923802?t=ICk7U39TQKPml-nrvQAFMg&s=19

We need to stop the spread... of lovely AI art in twitter threads. Although I like the idea of Pixar virusland having airplanes with the seats facing the window.

Zantie
Mar 30, 2003

StratGoatCom posted:

https://gisaid.org/ I've got an account so I can log in and view it (though EpiFlu is still broke).

[edit] Found the public links for submission stats!

https://gisaid.org/submission-tracker-usa/

https://gisaid.org/submission-tracker-global/

I know there are a couple other goons who have GISAID access and I can't remember if you're one of them (sorry) but if you are the airport surveillance data is listed specifically in the Patient status metadata download file.

Zantie has issued a correction as of 03:13 on Aug 19, 2023

StratGoatCom
Aug 6, 2019

Also, wherever you are now Rubby, I hope you come back one day. You are missed.

:sadwave:

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
all this time we’ve been getting the fake Covid?

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/...-caught-UK.html

fosborb
Dec 15, 2006

Chronic Good Poster
lol first locally transmitted malaria case in the DC area in the last 40 years just announced tonight

Zantie
Mar 30, 2003

StratGoatCom posted:

Zantie posted:

https://gisaid.org/ I've got an account so I can log in and view it (though EpiFlu is still broke).

[edit] Found the public links for submission stats!

https://gisaid.org/submission-tracker-usa/

https://gisaid.org/submission-tracker-global/

Mississippi doing surprisingly well and popping up in the top 10 states submitting sequences collected in the past 30 days.

Note, I have not paid any attention to MS numbers in the past, for all I know this is normal.

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

fosborb posted:

lol first locally transmitted malaria case in the DC area in the last 40 years just announced tonight

lmao wtf

Fansy
Feb 26, 2013

I GAVE LOWTAX COOKIE MONEY TO CHANGE YOUR STUPID AVATAR GO FUCK YOURSELF DUDE
Grimey Drawer

Pillowpants posted:

Nationally

The Period Ending 7/22

Top 5 five Variants
XBB.1.5: 16.9%
XBB.1.6: 15.6%
EG.5 12.5%
XBB.2.3 10%
XBB.1..6.1: 6.7%

The Period Ending 8/5

EG.5 16.1
XBB.1.6: 13.3%
XBB.2.3 11.1%
XBB.1.5: 8.6%
XBB.1..6.1: 7.1% *Tie
FL.1.5.1 7.1%

The Period Ending 8/18

EG.5 20.3%
FL.1.5.1 13.3%
XBB.1.6: 10.7
XBB.2.3 10.6%
XBB.1.6.6%: 8%

1.5 saw the boosters coming and hid

Pingui
Jun 4, 2006

WTF?

Pillowpants posted:

Good news guys! The CDC updated its variant sequencing data today. It's very helpfu...oh
(..)

lmao :chaostrump: get absolutely owned every single one of us

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider

Steve Yun posted:

all this time we’ve been getting the fake Covid?

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/...-caught-UK.html

get me some of that Mountain Dew COVID Red

StratGoatCom
Aug 6, 2019

Tulip posted:

lmao wtf

As I said last thread, if that fucker gets a foothold in the USA again, no one has the drive to get it out again.

Nothus
Feb 22, 2001

Buglord
Leprosy and malaria are back on the menu.

Zantie
Mar 30, 2003

Pillowpants posted:

I guess that is ok though - because the CDC updates its main wastewater data on Thursdays at 8pm. SEE!

Goddamn it

Looks like they finally updated tonight. I still massively prefer the raw data from the usual daily upload file from https://data.cdc.gov/Public-Health-Surveillance/NWSS-Public-SARS-CoV-2-Concentration-in-Wastewater/g653-rqe2

Strep Vote
May 5, 2004

أنا أحب حليب الشوكولاتة

Tulip posted:

lmao wtf

Drain the swamp!!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

fosborb posted:

holy loving poo poo hahaha