Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: PoundSand)

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

Poppers posted:

Keeping multiple boxes of Paxlovid at any one time even when you haven't contracted covid (and might never depending on how extreme your caution is) is hoarding, even if it's not dozens of boxes.

I live with someone who has three CDC-listed conditions that increase the likelihood of severe covid, and one more that's probably even worse but rare enough that there are no studies about it and covid, and wasn't able to access prescribed medication in a timely fashion while sick. Is keeping a box of pax in the house so that next time (and given her job, there will absolutely be a next time) we just have it immediately after she talks to her doctor "hoarding"? What about when she needs to travel out of the country to a place where it's not available at all - is taking a course with her also hoarding?

People are strawmanning like loving crazy here and I'm genuinely curious if you think people are sitting on a dragon hoard of pills or if you're just casting judgment on others for trying to avoid becoming a statistic in a broken system.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tenderjerk
Nov 6, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 373 days!

Poppers posted:

Keeping multiple boxes of Paxlovid at any one time even when you haven't contracted covid (and might never depending on how extreme your caution is) is hoarding, even if it's not dozens of boxes.

dont care

nexous
Jan 14, 2003

I just want to be pure
first we hoarded the vaccines and now the paxlovid. how many of you are still sitting on pallets of toilet paper and hand sanitizer you jerks

StratGoatCom
Aug 6, 2019

Our security is guaranteed by being able to melt the eyeballs of any other forum's denizens at 15 minutes notice

The Oldest Man posted:

I live with someone who has three CDC-listed conditions that increase the likelihood of severe covid, and one more that's probably even worse but rare enough that there are no studies about it and covid, and wasn't able to access prescribed medication in a timely fashion while sick. Is keeping a box of pax in the house so that next time (and given her job, there will absolutely be a next time) we just have it immediately after she talks to her doctor "hoarding"? What about when she needs to travel out of the country to a place where it's not available at all - is taking a course with her also hoarding?

People are strawmanning like loving crazy here and I'm genuinely curious if you think people are sitting on a dragon hoard of pills or if you're just casting judgment on others for trying to avoid becoming a statistic in a broken system.

I agree with both that and the principle that prescription chat is a bad thing to have on the forums.

Poppers
Jan 21, 2023

Every course of free Paxlovid you’re sitting on is a free course that someone else won’t have access to in the future is my main objection, beyond the one guy who caught a day probe already. Is your wife having Paxlovid on day 0 vs. day 1 so important that it’s worth someone else maybe not being able to afford a course at all?

WrasslorMonkey
Mar 5, 2012

Why Am I So Tired posted:

Thank you for saving this, I thought it was lost to time.

Funny story. I was looking for it on Twitter but couldn't find it, so I searched google for

code:
site:forums.somethingawful.com "welcome back" transition
which gave me:

Raskolnikov2089 posted:

Does anyone have a link to that Applebees transition welcome back video?

Why Am I So Tired posted:

Shoot, I'm trying to find it and it looks like the original tweet has been deleted.

Pingui posted:

The tweet has been deleted, but I found it here (at 10:33 and 10:34):
https://archive.org/details/CNNW_20200706_170000_CNN_Newsroom/start/1980/end/2040

Then chopped up the video after the one linked. Goonuroboros.

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

Poppers posted:

Every course of free Paxlovid you’re sitting on is a free course that someone else won’t have access to in the future is my main objection
why do you believe this? it hasn't played out that way with anything else (vaccines etc)

nexous
Jan 14, 2003

I just want to be pure
the US government is hoarding 20 million courses of paxlovid, thats the real problem, think of all the 8 billion people that cant get treated!

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar

Poppers posted:

Every course of free Paxlovid you’re sitting on is a free course that someone else won’t have access to in the future is my main objection, beyond the one guy who caught a day probe already. Is your wife having Paxlovid on day 0 vs. day 1 so important that it’s worth someone else maybe not being able to afford a course at all?

Is demand so tight and product unavailable to the point where "hoarding" a free course means somebody else is unable to get it? Or is this just another liberal concern troll similar to how people complained about people "stealing" a vaccine from another person by getting it early or lying on paperwork all while thousands of doses were literally being thrown out each day because nobody wanted them?

Glumwheels
Jan 25, 2003

https://twitter.com/BidenHQ

Poppers posted:

Feel better bud but do let your doc know if your Crohn's flares up so they can give you a little steroid or something

I broke down and took Motrin so we’ll see, my crohn’s is ok right now but idk what will happen over the week. The fever and migraine are kicking my rear end, I can’t do anything.

I hate taking steroids.

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things
lol This is literally the dumbass vaccine "hoarding" logic from 2 years ago. Incredible. No one one literally took a shot out of anyones arms. There were millions of doses literally thrown away.

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

go back to d&d

Rescue Toaster
Mar 13, 2003

silicone thrills posted:

lol This is literally the dumbass vaccine "hoarding" logic from 2 years ago. Incredible. No one one literally took a shot out of anyones arms. There were millions of doses literally thrown away.

Remember when they crucified that one guy in the press (and I think did he get fired? Or threatened his license or something?) for giving the last couple doses of a vial to some people he knew and/or family rather than trash it. Meanwhile now if you go get a shot they will immediately open palm slam the remaining doses in the vial into the trash the instant you walk out rather than bother trying to keep it in the fridge for the 4 hours or w/e until it goes bad.

Malgrin
Mar 16, 2010

The Oldest Man posted:

sonatinas
Apr 15, 2003

Seattle Karate Vs. L.A. Karate
lol like this thread has the juice to make a dent in pax hoarding.

ibid
Aug 18, 2022

by vyelkin
All this hand wringing and concern trolling is making me want to get some paxlovid to have around.

Malgrin
Mar 16, 2010

ibid posted:

All this hand wringing and concern trolling is making me want to get some paxlovid to have around.

big :same:

Buffer
May 6, 2007
I sometimes turn down sex and blowjobs from my girlfriend because I'm too busy posting in D&D. PS: She used my credit card to pay for this.

silicone thrills posted:

:thejoke:
(im not actually a tin foil hat person)

I did work for a cancer research center that did a ton of specifically virally based cancer study though which definitely opened my eyes to how many diseases lead to cancer or other nasty poo poo later. Not as a doctor, more admin but they required us to attend at least 1 talk a month for a few years for me. IT was a big reason why with covid I took it very seriously from day one and have continued to take it seriously.

rosalind I think was just drawing a distinction - basically IDK of any mechanism of action by which covid could cause cancer, but things it does do increase the incidence of cancer.

anyway, ultimately people seem to be in violent agreement on this in kinda funny ways.

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things

sonatinas posted:

lol like this thread has the juice to make a dent in pax hoarding.

THERES DOZENS OF US

Sunny Side Up
Jun 22, 2004

Mayoist Third Condimentist

ibid posted:

itching for DA JOOS

Malgrin
Mar 16, 2010

Buffer posted:

basically IDK of any mechanism of action by which covid could cause cancer, but things it does do increase the incidence of cancer.

This is where the covid-cautious in the thread here believe in the precautionary principle -- especially with novel viruses. We know that other novel viruses have caused spikes in certain cancers and there's no reason to believe that won't be the case with covid when nearly everyone in the US has gotten covid at least once.

Rosalind
Apr 30, 2013

When we hit our lowest point, we are open to the greatest change.

A plague of that awful paxlovid taste of burnt metallic grapefruit upon you all.

But my argument was never that "hoarding" (a word that was probably not the right choice) was going to cause shortages of paxlovid. It was that it may lead to providers tightening prescribing guidelines which would make these medications more difficult for people to access in the future (including those who need it immediately) and also that paxlovid is no joke and people could start medications resulting in life-threatening side effects if they then start a course of paxlovid.

tenderjerk
Nov 6, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 373 days!
freebasing crushed paxlovid because i want to see what it does and because i have alot of it

StratGoatCom
Aug 6, 2019

Our security is guaranteed by being able to melt the eyeballs of any other forum's denizens at 15 minutes notice

Rosalind posted:

A plague of that awful paxlovid taste of burnt metallic grapefruit upon you all.

But my argument was never that "hoarding" (a word that was probably not the right choice) was going to cause shortages of paxlovid. It was that it may lead to providers tightening prescribing guidelines which would make these medications more difficult for people to access in the future (including those who need it immediately) and also that paxlovid is no joke and people could start medications resulting in life-threatening side effects if they then start a course of paxlovid.

I mean, given canada it ain't gonna make it worse but I understand what you're getting at here. I half-expect production cutbacks at some point given what happened to lucira though, lmao.

Glumwheels
Jan 25, 2003

https://twitter.com/BidenHQ
Lmfao the insurance wouldn’t accept the prescription because it was written by my clinics pharmacist and not the doctor?? I don’t even know that loving means.

The dude at Walgreens at least came through and found an override. :d2a:

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things

Rosalind posted:

There was another user implying that hoarding was going to take paxlovid out of someone elses mouth.

The problem that happens with this thread is some times really obvious sealioning posters makes having conversations with reasonable folks difficult because it ends up crossing the streams.

Bastard Tetris
Apr 27, 2005

L-Shaped

Nap Ghost

silicone thrills posted:

At our site half the nurses declined vaccination so we all got doses that were headed to the trash

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar
[me after picking up my paxlovid prescription] HAH, joke's on you, I don't even have COVID *every system in pharmacy goes dead and healthcare system across the country quickly collapses*

Phigs
Jan 23, 2019

Rosalind posted:

I don't think "you live in a society" is going to be a compelling argument to people posting in the "society has washed its hands of an entire loving pandemic because it hurt number" thread.

Nobody cares about the possible policy consequences of them hoarding Pax. I think the arguments for not abusing Pax because it's a serious medicine that could hurt you are much better arguments against it.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe
ah yes, the disease is so mild that possibly taking the scary prescription drugs when you AREN'T SUPPOSED TO HAVE THEM BECAUSE YOU DIDN'T FOLLOW THE RULES is the biggest hazard. Someone think of the poor rules.

Look at all these loving cops here eh?

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

Rosalind posted:

I agree with all this, don't take prescription drugs without consulting a professional, that is a good way to have A Bad Time.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

Louisgod posted:

[me after picking up my paxlovid prescription] HAH, joke's on you, I don't even have COVID *every system in pharmacy goes dead and healthcare system across the country quickly collapses*

why do you hate healthcare workers and the very concept of society

Buffer
May 6, 2007
I sometimes turn down sex and blowjobs from my girlfriend because I'm too busy posting in D&D. PS: She used my credit card to pay for this.

Malgrin posted:

This is where the covid-cautious in the thread here believe in the precautionary principle -- especially with novel viruses. We know that other novel viruses have caused spikes in certain cancers and there's no reason to believe that won't be the case with covid when nearly everyone in the US has gotten covid at least once.

There's no violation of the precautionary principal? From our standpoint the distinction doesn't make a difference - because it doesn't really matter to me if covid *gave* me the cancer or if covid hosed my immune system up, caused widespread inflammation and that let the cancer something else gave me take root.

It probably makes a big ol' clinical and research difference though.

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

Unless the prescription drug in question is weed, then that's a good way to have A Good Time

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things

The Oldest Man posted:

Unless the prescription drug in question is weed, then that's a good way to have A Good Time

or not :( weed makes me feel super awful.

My doctor did suggest it for ovarian cyst pain since I had no desire to be on opiates.

Cuttlefush
Jan 15, 2014

gotta have my purp

Bastard Tetris posted:

There’s a discussion to be had about the differences between practicing clinicians, researchers, and policymakers but it’s drowned out by bad faith forum cops so we;lp

it wouldn't be if people showed just the slightest bit of discretion or knew how to say things without sounding crazy. everyone knows some doctors can be wrong or just generally stupid. everyone knows the paxlovid telehealth process is kinda bullshit. it's good to tell people how they can get prescribed paxlovid if they don't have the major contraindications. it's loving idiotic for people to post "lie" or talk about their own stockpiling or diversion.

who gives a poo poo if people actually try to stockpile a couple doses or if they lie about comorbidities or a rapid test. nobody really gives a poo poo about that. having a thread culture that doesn't push back against people openly talking about stockpiling/diversion and glibly telling people to just lie to telehealth because doctors are idiots is a problem though. if you don't understand why a thread that starts getting posts like that has people saying it's hosed up, you have very lovely self awareness and judgment

people snagging 10 days of paxlovid from lovely fly by night telehealth companies isn't the issue with the thread. it takes the smallest bit of self-awareness to realize that posting that stuff is stupid. even if you think that the us healthcare system is hosed and that telehealth evaluations are bullshit and you don't think diversion of something like paxlovid is a big deal you should know better than to go around posting about your fraud and suggesting others do. if you don't get that or you think it's just 'decorum' and nobody should care, you spent too much time in here and have gone noseblind

it's painful to see the same people completely fail to understand why people think this thread is unhinged

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

The Oldest Man posted:

not if the loving rules say no

you must follow the rules

don't think about them or how your conduct may relate to the rules. just follow them.

Sunny Side Up
Jun 22, 2004

Mayoist Third Condimentist

Rosalind posted:

this was Poppers' argument, not yours. and your argument has been well understood since paxlovid was made available, all are in agreement with this!

Sunny Side Up posted:

the last OP spelled this out in detail! and members would typically caveat their posts with this info, almost every time. it's so old hat in this thread that it has not been included

ibid
Aug 18, 2022

by vyelkin

quote:

We’ve got Bob Wachter telling us he isn’t masking today and pretending it’s because he has this novel risk calculus that works really well, but really it’s because he just got Covid and busted his face

https://nitter.net/LauraMiers/status/1693652375582507201

lmao, good point.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

Cuttlefush posted:

people snagging 10 days of paxlovid from lovely fly by night telehealth companies isn't the issue with the thread. it takes the smallest bit of self-awareness to realize that posting that stuff is stupid. even if you think that the us healthcare system is hosed and that telehealth evaluations are bullshit and you don't think diversion of something like paxlovid is a big deal you should know better than to go around posting about your fraud and suggesting others do. if you don't get that or you think it's just 'decorum' and nobody should care, you spent too much time in here and have gone noseblind

Yeah, it's this. It's an extension of what gets called "cop poo poo" in other threads - you don't post that you're "bloccing up" at [protest] tonight. You don't tell the parents of trans kids to shoot the cop that comes to remove their trans kid from their custody, you don't tell workers to cut their CEO's head off. You just don't.