Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: PoundSand)

Bastard Tetris
Apr 27, 2005

L-Shaped

Nap Ghost

The Oldest Man posted:

These guys are pushing to get opioid prescribing privileges in this state now btw and all I can say is :rubby:

lol holy poo poo that’s a terrible idea

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things

The Oldest Man posted:

These guys are pushing to get opioid prescribing privileges in this state now btw and all I can say is :rubby:

Its fine, they love nature - its right in their name - naturopath. Theyll just prescribe.... milk of the poppy ... instead.

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

Shiroc posted:

One goon always lies to the doctor, one always tells the truth. What question does the doctor ask to find out if they should really prescribe pax?

"stairs?"

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
My old lovely dentist forced me to take a vicodin prescription that I didn't want. I never got it filled but he absolutely would not let me leave the building without taking the paper.

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

Shiroc posted:

My old lovely dentist forced me to take a vicodin prescription that I didn't want. I never got it filled but he absolutely would not let me leave the building without taking the paper.

hosed up, i really hope you

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

them

DickParasite
Dec 2, 2004

Slippery Tilde
It's great that everyone has equitable access to good doctors. That's why there's never been any marginalized groups who've had to go outside the medical system to get things like HIV meds or gender affirming care.

StratGoatCom
Aug 6, 2019

Our security is guaranteed by being able to melt the eyeballs of any other forum's denizens at 15 minutes notice

Can we not run this joke into the ground?

we know it happens, there's a lot of cases where it was needed, but it's not something to talk on SA.

yes, I know tcc...

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late

DickParasite posted:

It's great that everyone has equitable access to good doctors. That's why there's never been any marginalized groups who've had to go outside the medical system to get things like HIV meds or gender affirming care.

plugging the article I posted earlier about diy trans care again

In Jules' other writing she talked a lot about how there were guides made so people could know the script of how to :nms:lie to doctors!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:nms: in order to work around the historical gatekeeping and the key medical consideration of the doctor deciding "would I gently caress this person if I let them have hormones?"

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007

Shiroc posted:

take it then put it in whoevers got bad knees christmas stocking. family member of the year…

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

ow my knees!

Corrigenda
Aug 17, 2015

"Your heart's desire is to be told some mystery. The mystery is that there is no mystery."
Nap Ghost

Shiroc posted:

plugging the article I posted earlier about diy trans care again

In Jules' other writing she talked a lot about how there were guides made so people could know the script of how to :nms:lie to doctors!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:nms: in order to work around the historical gatekeeping and the key medical consideration of the doctor deciding "would I gently caress this person if I let them have hormones?"

DickParasite posted:

It is deeply, deeply disingenuous to invoke the mistreatment of trans or other marginalized people receiving medical care to you not getting Paxlovid even though you really think you should. Please stop.

EDIT: derp double quote

Double edit: It's clear my posting isn't helping this issue. I guess don't be surprised when the thread gets gassed?

Corrigenda has issued a correction as of 00:49 on Aug 22, 2023

StratGoatCom
Aug 6, 2019

Our security is guaranteed by being able to melt the eyeballs of any other forum's denizens at 15 minutes notice

Corrigenda posted:

It is deeply, deeply disingenuous to invoke the mistreatment of trans or other marginalized people receiving medical care to you not getting Paxlovid even though you really think you should. Please stop.

I mean, on one hand given how fucky it can be I have sympathy, but on the other hand yes, discussion of grey market poo poo exists, but please, not in the thread.

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late

Corrigenda posted:

Double edit: It's clear my posting isn't helping this issue. I guess don't be surprised when the thread gets gassed?

I'm trans so gently caress off.

Bastard Tetris
Apr 27, 2005

L-Shaped

Nap Ghost
I know the gender identity of very few people on this website but I’m pretty sure Shiroc is trans,
sooo

e:f;b

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

I think it's fair to ban explicitly saying you should lie to get prescription, but it's crucial that the sites in question be in the OP because it's basically not possible to get it legitimately from in person doctors. If you are not lying and have covid and fall in the made up CDC guidelines, you have to use those sites anyways

Notorious R.I.M.
Jan 27, 2004

up to my ass in alligators

Corrigenda posted:

lmao

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
If the thread is gassed its because the thread has been targeted for years and people desperately scrutinize every post to see what can cause big stupid drama conflagrations and what can draw people who might be shocked and appalled by the issue of the moment to make it louder.

I think people do need to be extremely careful of paxlovid since the contraindications are serious and handing it out to friends and family is stupid but I don't care if people work with doctors to get stuff ready before getting infected.

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things
* jumps back into the cop car *

IM CALLING MY SUPERVISOR AND ILL BE BACK

Corrigenda
Aug 17, 2015

"Your heart's desire is to be told some mystery. The mystery is that there is no mystery."
Nap Ghost

Shiroc posted:

I'm trans so gently caress off.

I'm trans as well. If you don't see the problem in extending what has been a massive, systemic failure on the part of many parties over the course of many years, to the issues discussed above in thread regarding Paxlovid I don't know what to tell you. They are not equivalent. This thread is very confusing.

Rosalind
Apr 30, 2013

When we hit our lowest point, we are open to the greatest change.

Bastard Tetris posted:

Oh man who should be able to prescribe what (i.e. prescriptive authority) is like a whole thing where you can find the AMA and the AANP and other big organizations constantly arguing about who should be able to do what.

Should I be able to talk to my pharmacist and get an albuterol inhaler or topical cream for that rash I'm having? Probably!
Should my psychologist be able to prescribe antidepressants as long as they have specialized training? Maybe, but this one is less cut and dry for me.
Should my chiropractor be able to prescribe me antibiotics like they can in New Mexico? Sounds like a terrible idea!

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

StratGoatCom posted:

Yeah, that seems like doc being privileged and not checking it.

Please don’t accuse doctors of being insular.

We can’t let the cure be worse than the disease.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Let me be clear about a couple of things: you should not post about giving prescription medications to other people, or about your plans to hoard medications. If you do those things, you're really better off not mentioning it on the internet at all. And before somebody asks "what about getting soon-to-expire doses from a licensed medical professional", in case that comes up again in the fall, as long as you're not self-administering that's pretty clearly different.

Skyl3lazer posted:

How do you get it if you dont have positive tests or anything to show? Even online I've had the doctors ask for some sort of proof whatsoever.

I did not know this, but apparently per this letter from the FDA, you do not necessarily need a positive test, but a diagnosis:

quote:

In its February 1, 2023 revision, FDA revised the scope of authorization to no longer require positive results of direct SARS-CoV-2 viral testing. As revised, the scope of authorization required, in addition to other requirements, that adults and pediatric patients (12 years of age and older weighing at least 40 kg) have a current diagnosis of mild-to-moderate COVID-19. Corresponding changes were also made to the authorized Fact Sheets.

If you don't have a diagnosis or a positive test, are not Dr. Michael Thomas Osterholm, and want Paxlovid or some other medication anyway, I'm sure you can find advice on doing so outside of these forums.

Is that all fair?

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

Rosalind posted:

Oh man who should be able to prescribe what (i.e. prescriptive authority) is like a whole thing where you can find the AMA and the AANP and other big organizations constantly arguing about who should be able to do what.

Should I be able to talk to my pharmacist and get an albuterol inhaler or topical cream for that rash I'm having? Probably!
Should my psychologist be able to prescribe antidepressants as long as they have specialized training? Maybe, but this one is less cut and dry for me.
Should my chiropractor be able to prescribe me antibiotics like they can in New Mexico? Sounds like a terrible idea!

Depends, how much can you pay? Is it $$$$ because then yes! All of those things are within your reach, today!

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late

Corrigenda posted:

I'm trans as well. If you don't see the problem in extending what has been a massive, systemic failure on the part of many parties over the course of many years, to the issues discussed above in thread regarding Paxlovid I don't know what to tell you. They are not equivalent. This thread is very confusing.

If you don't see the massive, systemic failure on the part of many parties over the course of many years with Paxlovid I don't know what to tell you.

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

Corrigenda posted:

IMO the real stakes here are that mention of the telehealth sites will be banned. The official position of the thread IMO should be you should have the telehealth sites on speed-dial to get it if you test positive

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

Bastard Tetris posted:

this state's slide into mainstreamed quackery has come by inches but yeah this is a new low

quote:

Ross said the other reason to license naturopathic doctors to prescribe controlled medications is to increase access to medical care in rural Washington.

There are remote places where naturopathic doctors fill a gap, she said: “where they may be the only health care provider within a 100-mile radius.”

In those places, if a patient needs opioid painkillers after a surgery or sleeping drugs during an episode of high anxiety, “You are just really burdening those patients with forcing them to drive hours out of their way to get the care that they need,” she added.

The state health department did an extensive review of naturopathic medical training and recommended in its report to the legislature that naturopathic doctors not have unlimited prescribing authority, but rather be granted the authority to prescribe a subset of controlled drugs, including buprenorphine, as well as anxiety and sleep medications. The report also recommends that naturopathic doctors be allowed to prescribe hydrocodone products for acute pain — prescriptions that last less than a week — but not for chronic pain management.

https://www.kuow.org/stories/proposed-bill-would-let-wa-naturopaths-prescribe-opioids-other-controlled-meds

It's still in committee but they keep passing these in bites and nibbles, always justifying it on "lack of access." Access might as well be to a vending machine if we're going to let naturopaths prescribe extremely addictive painkillers imo.

Epitope
Nov 27, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Corrigenda posted:

Why are you here. Oh you edited in you realizing it's not helping. Good job having some self awareness I guess

I tried to talk to my primary care physician twice about acute covid related concerns. Both times they shrugged me off. When I was interested to see if ~pax was right for me~ they said "you have to take it within 5 days, we don't have any appointments, sorry." Which like, I get it, they're not an urgent care. But like, how am I supposed to get a professional to check? Yes I'm an idiot nerd or whatever, but this thread is the only reason I know about telehealth options for this

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

Shiroc posted:

If you don't see the massive, systemic failure on the part of many parties over the course of many years with Paxlovid I don't know what to tell you.

Same thing with every time the HIV vs covid comparisons /discussion pops up.

There are massive systemic failures and hegemonic weaponization of public health against the vulnerable that are easily paralleled between them.

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider

Corrigenda posted:

My apologies, I guess I've misunderstood, but it certainly seems like you guys are making light of the reason the SAD thread was reopened, instead of taking it seriously. I don't want this thread to be gassed.

Wow, we take the SAD thread extremely seriously here and I resent you saying otherwise.

:mods:

DickParasite
Dec 2, 2004

Slippery Tilde

Shiroc posted:

If the thread is gassed its because the thread has been targeted for years and people desperately scrutinize every post to see what can cause big stupid drama conflagrations and what can draw people who might be shocked and appalled by the issue of the moment to make it louder.

I think people do need to be extremely careful of paxlovid since the contraindications are serious and handing it out to friends and family is stupid but I don't care if people work with doctors to get stuff ready before getting infected.

Agree w/all of this.

Corrigenda posted:

I don't think you're a troll and I think your comment here is in earnest so I want to respond to it. I respect the experiences that many queer people have had obtaining life-saving medicine and navigating the terrible health care systems all over the world. That's it. We're on the same side.

stumblebum
May 8, 2022

no, what you want to do is get somebody mad enough to give you a red title you're proud of

RandomBlue posted:

Wow, we take the SAD thread extremely seriously here and I resent you saying otherwise.

:mods:

Respect the Interfora Rules-Based Order

StratGoatCom
Aug 6, 2019

I think Shiroc's, icantfindaname and Exxon's posts are the last words we need on this subject, please!

Suzera
Oct 6, 2021

This spell rocks. It'll pop you right out of that funk.

JAY ZERO SUM GAME posted:

do you know why that would vary between people? my wife goes in for the same, normal, blood panel every year and her doctor asks her to not eat the morning of her appointment/~12 hours before. my PA friend asks the same thing of people getting bloodwork?

like i sat down and ate a falafel sandwich an hour before my appointment last year, lol
It has been explained to me by people doing these tests that they want to see if your blood sugar is abnormally elevated while fasting for type 2 diabetes reasons (and maybe some other insulin and thyroid disorders?). If you eat, and especially if you eat starchy or sugary things, your blood glucose and insulin levels spike very quickly. I forget the exact timeframe, but it's well under an hour.

fosborb
Dec 15, 2006

Chronic Good Poster

Rosalind posted:

speaking of, can pharmacists still prescribe pax? did anyone actually do that?

tristeham
Jul 31, 2022

Shiroc posted:

Bastard Tetris
Apr 27, 2005

L-Shaped

Nap Ghost

Rosalind posted:

I think that psychiatrists are the prescribers since they’re MDs, my poor psych friend has an extended family full of both and Thanksgiving dinner arguments frequently veer into this space, which seems quite dire

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Rosalind posted:

I'm also skeptical of the idea of paxlovid being something limited only to the "rich and connected." When my parents had COVID earlier this year, they called a free hotline from the state of Washington, were prescribed paxlovid via a telehealth appointment, and had a prescription waiting at their pharmacy within 30 minutes. Again all of this for free. They also offered free home delivery. I know many other states have similar programs that are still operating including NY and CA.

I'm in Australia where paxlovid is being gatekept to the very old or the very immunocompromised despite calls from epidemiologists for wider access. They actually eased up on the eligibility factors in April this year, previously people in their 60s had to have two risk factors to be eligible for paxlovid but they lowered that to just one risk factor. For people like me who are under 60 and don't have multiple risk factors it's pretty much impossible for me to get pax unless I could somehow convince an MD to prescribe it for me, and even then it'd cost over $1,000 out-of-pocket which I couldn't even afford.

I imagine it'd be pretty trivial for someone "rich and connected" to get their hands on pax, though.

Louisgod posted:

this legit happened and was pretty funny at the time, horse farmers/owners would get on social media and beg chuds to not buy ivermectin as all their local stores were running out and the horse owners legit needed them. I miss those stupid times.

biceps crimes
Apr 12, 2008

oh no! not SAD!

anyway… back to bg3

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jingoro
May 13, 2003
Yarrrrr...beware the chicken waters, matey...

Corrigenda posted:

"Actually, guy who got probated for telling you to lie to doctors has a point" is not the best look for this thread.

Maybe kramering into the thread to trans-splain to our trans prior IK who basically got harassed already by trolls into deciding it's not worth it is not the best look for you?

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)