Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: PoundSand)

jisforjosh
Jun 6, 2006

"It's J is for...you know what? Fuck it, jizz it is"

Troutful posted:

We're capable of getting rid of Anopheline mosquitoes in the US without DDT. Don't know if we have the political will to do it but it's not a technical impossibility.

Did you know we completely eradicated this disease-causing fly in the mid-1900s without pesticides or habitat destruction? I'm bullish on insect control, it's much easier than controlling viruses.

Fun fact, my dad was part of the original screw worm eradication as a USDA entomologist and advised on screw worm and fruit fly sterilization in Guatemala and Hawaii.

One of my first jobs out of high school was doing the dirty work of prepping fruit fly larvae for growth, sterilization, and release.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

yoloer420
May 19, 2006

16-bit Butt-Head posted:

please listen to your doctors covid thread

Finding a new doctor is fine. I last changed doctors after an incident where they suggested ear candles to treat chronic nausea. My new GP got some tests done and identified I had stomach ulcers.

I know this might be cause for a probe under the new regime, but sometimes medical practitioners can be bad at their jobs.

yoloer420 has issued a correction as of 00:03 on Aug 22, 2023

fosborb
Dec 15, 2006

Chronic Good Poster

jisforjosh posted:

Fun fact, my dad was part of the original screw worm eradication as a USDA entomologist and advised on screw worm and fruit fly sterilization in Guatemala and Hawaii.

One of my first jobs out of high school was doing the dirty work of prepping fruit fly larvae for growth, sterilization, and release.

queuing up the ban for nepotism

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
I know you know how to do this.
Get up.

bedpan posted:

are you getting cholesterol checked? lithium levels? bloodsugar?
all of that gets checked, yes

Baddog
May 12, 2001

CGI Stardust posted:

... kind of intrigued by the significant (albeit small) increase in dysautonomia

Good to see pretty steady decreases in everything else. Even though plenty is still elevated, even after two years! But would feel a lot better if *everything* was ticking down. Dysautonomia is no joke.

Wonder how going forward they will find enough unexposed people to use as a baseline. Or even people with only one case over X number of years.

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

JAY ZERO SUM GAME posted:

all of that gets checked, yes

that is probably why then

Pingui
Jun 4, 2006

WTF?

Lib and let die posted:

I was implying there's no difference between hosed up weirdos and democrat party operatives

I am outright stating that the weirdos post in C-SPAM, while the democrat party operatives post in D&D.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
I know you know how to do this.
Get up.

bedpan posted:

that is probably why then
do you know why that would vary between people? my wife goes in for the same, normal, blood panel every year and her doctor asks her to not eat the morning of her appointment/~12 hours before. my PA friend asks the same thing of people getting bloodwork?

like i sat down and ate a falafel sandwich an hour before my appointment last year, lol

Pingui
Jun 4, 2006

WTF?

Bastard Tetris posted:

Yep, one of the many reasons PASC has a lot of similarities to ME/CFS and other autoimmune issues, I’m blanking on the poster but they had an awesome series in the old thread about the lengths certain groups went to paint ME/CFS as malingering so patients suffering from it would have their benefits cut off.

Hellequin. Part 3 of the series, with links to part 1 and 2 can be found here:
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3997695&userid=132583&perpage=40&pagenumber=2#post533250399

ColdBlooded
Jul 15, 2001

Ask me how to run a good team into the ground.

nexous posted:

the US government is hoarding 20 million courses of paxlovid,

Emptyquote.

Also, not sure how many doses Canada is stockpiling / holding for the wealthy but it's the same here. My dad, definitely eligible per the criteria set out by the government was told by his doctor that he wasn't eligible.

Corrigenda posted:

this threads culture

Lol

Troutful
May 31, 2011

jisforjosh posted:

Whoa, cool!

im pooping!
Nov 17, 2006

spreading my covid wide and agape

Strep Vote
May 5, 2004

أنا أحب حليب الشوكولاتة

Baddog posted:

Wonder how going forward they will find enough unexposed people to use as a baseline.

I'm doing my part.

jisforjosh
Jun 6, 2006

"It's J is for...you know what? Fuck it, jizz it is"

Troutful posted:

Whoa, cool!

if you're in a region with a fruit fly eradication program through the USDA and you see one with an orange or green neon dot on it's head, it's a sterile fly

we'd use a powdered neon dye to tumble the pupae in before being irradiated

when the fly would hatch and push through the casing, some dye would transfer to the head

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

NeonPunk posted:

A college just reinstated mask mandates on campus.

https://twitter.com/CovidDataReport/status/1693468249709523308

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

Rosalind posted:

This has certainly given me the idea for a publication making data requests of all 50 states and assessing their responsiveness. It will, of course, be incredibly and universally bad. But academic publications like that do get attention.

I structured my entire dissertation around reproducible science using publicly available data so I have a very personal loathing for hiding data. I think it's pretty much one of the most reprehensible things a public health department can do. If they are worried about the public misinterpreting the data, then it's their job as a health department to produce effective messaging explaining and contextualizing the data, not hiding it from public view.

getting caught up in this thread but this sounds amazing and I for one would love to see it. I think long effortposts like that are when this thread is at its strongest. It doesn't even need to be about COVID per se, just so long as it touches upon public health then it's very relevant.

Hellequin made some really great (and very long) posts in the last thread about ME/CFS that are worth reading if you've got the time. It's stuff like that beyond simply dispensing COVID info that makes the cspam COVID thread special

Hellequin posted:

ME/CFS Pt. 1

Hellequin posted:

ME/CFS Pt. 2

Hellequin posted:

ME/CFS Pt. 3

Bruce Hussein Daddy
Dec 26, 2005

I testify that there is none worthy of worship except God and I testify that Muhammad is the Messenger of God

NeonPunk
Dec 21, 2020

Missed this, two hospitals are also mandating masks again and also testing all incoming patients for Covid

https://twitter.com/MeetJess/status/1693413051616076213

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

Two friends popped positive today. We're back baby!

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

Make sure they get paxlovid through scrupulously legal and legitimate channels

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

fosborb posted:

discussing about why people are hoarding seems to fit within a political discussion and seems okay to me. posting about ways to hoard that isn't done via a prescription (or that involves lying or lying through omission) is not okay either. don't lie to your doctor.

I would like to discuss why Dr. Michael Thomas Osterholm, MPH, director of CIDRAP at the University of Minnesota, last fall appeared to say that he himself had obtained Paxlovid before contracting a case and encouraged members of the public to do the same.

https://www.cidrap.umn.edu/covid-19/positive-note posted:

So to summarize, one, I'm out there living my life right now, but I'm taking precautions in a way that does not mean I can't live my life, but I am not putting myself at risk. I'm using my N95, I'm fully vaccinated, I have my Paxlovid. I have a protocol for family members and friends getting together, and its surely does add another wrinkle to life.

The following week,

https://www.cidrap.umn.edu/covid-19/time-be-thankful-alert posted:

This is truly, truly a time where we appreciate our health care workers more than ever. And finally, let me just say, get your vaccine, both COVID and influenza. Have your Paxlovid ready to go or at least be able to get at it if you should get COVID. And do not be afraid or uncomfortable to wear your N95 in public. Go wherever you want to go with it. I today am proud of it, and I want everyone to understand that together we can do much more to protect ourselves in public settings if we want.

The good doctor exercised a certain amount of discretion in his guidance, but I do believe that “I have Paxlovid on hand, and you should, too” is the plain reading of his statements.

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

Baddog posted:

Good to see pretty steady decreases in everything else. Even though plenty is still elevated, even after two years! But would feel a lot better if *everything* was ticking down. Dysautonomia is no joke.

Wonder how going forward they will find enough unexposed people to use as a baseline. Or even people with only one case over X number of years.

Dysautonomia is actually going up in non-hospitalized, which is a pretty wild finding and I'd wonder if that's people getting additional or asymptomatic subsequent infections or something that they haven't been able to control for. That aside, not everything else is actually ticking down. E.g., check out nonhospitalized risk of fatigue, headache, myalgia, even ischemic stroke (:dogstare:) in fig 1 - there's a very elevated risk at the 90 day mark that subsides, but those sequelae and several others aren't actually really improving between 360 days and 720.

It's a very "well it could be worse but it's definitely not good" type of result set. If you've got some pasc thing at 1 year, seems like you might just be stuck with it.

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

icantfindaname posted:

pulling up behind the aldi's after close to buy street pax only to recognize the dealer as the cheesemonger

jetz0r
May 10, 2003

Tomorrow, our nation will sit on the throne of the world. This is not a figment of the imagination, but a fact. Tomorrow we will lead the world, Allah willing.

My doctor gave me 39 boxes of pax to use at raves this summer

DickParasite
Dec 2, 2004

Slippery Tilde

icantfindaname posted:

Gatekeeping and means testing is not cool except for this one specific thing.

Corrigenda
Aug 17, 2015

"Your heart's desire is to be told some mystery. The mystery is that there is no mystery."
Nap Ghost
"Actually, guy who got probated for telling you to lie to doctors has a point" is not the best look for this thread.

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007

jetz0r posted:

throw it straight in the trash and ask for more.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

jetz0r posted:

do not use them all at once, but if you do you should definitely tell us what happened.

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

DickParasite posted:

The urging for extra care with Paxlovid vs aspirin etc is because of this

Rosalind posted:

Paxlovid combines the drugs nirmatrelvir and ritonavir. Nirmatrelvir is a wholly new drug that was developed in 2020 specifically for treating COVID-19. Ritonavir, aka Norvir, is a medication for treating/managing HIV infection which causes AIDS. I know it's common to confuse HIV and AIDS but they are in fact different things. HIV is the virus that is treated and AIDS is the disease than manifests if HIV is left untreated. Many people are given ritonavir who do not, and will never, have AIDS.

A better wording of this sentence for clarity that more accurately describes Paxlovid would be:

quote:

with Paxlovid you'll be taking an effective combination drug that includes two antivirals, including one that was developed for the treatment of HIV--this medication does not gently caress around.

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

Corrigenda posted:

"Actually, guy who got probated for telling you to lie to doctors has a point" is not the best look for this thread.

Nobody is saying this

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

I'll simply get my potentially dangerous prescription drugs from a qualified healthcare professional [walks into naturopath's office]

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

icantfindaname posted:

One already did so just walkin into urgent care. Other one's taking some convincing.

StratGoatCom
Aug 6, 2019

Our security is guaranteed by being able to melt the eyeballs of any other forum's denizens at 15 minutes notice

Platystemon posted:

I would like to discuss why Dr. Michael Thomas Osterholm, MPH, director of CIDRAP at the University of Minnesota, last fall appeared to say that he himself had obtained Paxlovid before contracting a case and encouraged members of the public to do the same.

The following week,

The good doctor exercised a certain amount of discretion in his guidance, but I do believe that “I have Paxlovid on hand, and you should, too” is the plain reading of his statements.

Yeah, that seems like doc being privileged and not checking it.

In a better world we'd be able to get an exam that determined pax eligibility then wave it at a pharmacist.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

DickParasite posted:

I love doing both those things as well as Kramering and sealioning with my brigade in this *checks notes* hellworld

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007
if i wanted best looks id go to the YLLS fashion thread. (looks in there) nevermind

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
One goon always lies to the doctor, one always tells the truth. What question does the doctor ask to find out if they should really prescribe pax?

Corrigenda
Aug 17, 2015

"Your heart's desire is to be told some mystery. The mystery is that there is no mystery."
Nap Ghost

icantfindaname posted:

Nobody is saying this

My apologies, I guess I've misunderstood, but it certainly seems like you guys are making light of the reason the SAD thread was reopened, instead of taking it seriously. I don't want this thread to be gassed.

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things

Corrigenda posted:

My apologies, I guess I've misunderstood, but it certainly seems like you guys are making light of the reason the SAD thread was reopened, instead of taking it seriously. I don't want this thread to be gassed.

: finger guns :

Making fun of the cop forum is apart of cspam culture.

StratGoatCom
Aug 6, 2019

Our security is guaranteed by being able to melt the eyeballs of any other forum's denizens at 15 minutes notice

Yeah same, there's a bit of mockery of the SADsacks that should be encouraged, but at some point let's not poke the dragon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

The Oldest Man posted:

I'll simply get my potentially dangerous prescription drugs from a qualified healthcare professional [walks into naturopath's office]

These guys are pushing to get opioid prescribing privileges in this state now btw and all I can say is :rubby: