Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: PoundSand)

nexous
Jan 14, 2003

I just want to be pure

fosborb posted:

lol we're at like 30 loving reports on this thread so far today. excited to see what this one will be

sorry didn’t mean to make this thread even worse today. but that’s a legit post and I did actually tell my wife that and it’s pretty true. it’s also helping me not drink alcohol by distracting me

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Buffer
May 6, 2007
I sometimes turn down sex and blowjobs from my girlfriend because I'm too busy posting in D&D. PS: She used my credit card to pay for this.

nexous posted:

this Poe league is fun I’ve been doing that instead of doom reading this thread

Diablo 4 got me really tempted to get into PoE, but Armored Core is right around the corner.

We're really kinda spoiled for great games right now - however I think we're supposed to be miserable about it or something.

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late

fosborb posted:

lol we're at like 30 loving reports on this thread so far today. excited to see what this one will be

Combining the vintage conversations with this one and taking up smoking to develop cancer to have more time for video games and protect myself from covid with the power of nicotine.

Pingui
Jun 4, 2006

WTF?

fosborb posted:

Busy day at the posting factory, must be nice having job security* after getting the promotion.

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

nexous posted:

sorry didn’t mean to make this thread even worse today. but that’s a legit post and I did actually tell my wife that and it’s pretty true. it’s also helping me not drink alcohol by distracting me

it's actually a fine post don't let the pigs get the best of you

StratGoatCom
Aug 6, 2019

Our security is guaranteed by being able to melt the eyeballs of any other forum's denizens at 15 minutes notice

fosborb posted:

Can we get this poo poo cleaned up so we can have some peace and quiet please.

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014

“I think the problem is you’re just uneducated.”
its an important thing, to trust medical professionals

Samog
Dec 13, 2006
At least I'm not an 07.
i reinstalled DotA 2 yesterday. the map is all hosed up now

fosborb
Dec 15, 2006

Chronic Good Poster
HIV/AIDS COVID comparisons need to stop. it provides no valuable content, it only yields a series of posts ranging from "no it's not" to "look at this crazy idiot." this time it was a lovely article trashed in 2 posts, but it doesn't really matter. nothing was gained, and it never will

If you want to post about SAD, go post in SAD, or one of the many threads in CSPAM that talk about other threads, or in PYF sagas or fyad or whatever. lots of places for it

the US vs them siege mentality has to stop. it's by no means even the majority of people who regularly post in this thread, let alone lurkers, etc, but it gives the impression that the thread as a whole is insular and unwelcoming and, yeah, it tends to make that prophecy true and it sucks

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry
I'm playing Dredge. It's nice.

I haven't broken into bg3 yet because I haven't had an uninterrupted seven hour gaming stretch to indulge

Some day :(

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

fosborb posted:

the US vs them siege mentality has to stop.

ah so nothing to be done then

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

I am Metango, Galactic Governor

fosborb posted:

HIV/AIDS COVID comparisons need to stop. it provides no valuable content, it only yields a series of posts ranging from "no it's not" to "look at this crazy idiot." this time it was a lovely article trashed in 2 posts, but it doesn't really matter. nothing was gained, and it never will

If you want to post about SAD, go post in SAD, or one of the many threads in CSPAM that talk about other threads, or in PYF sagas or fyad or whatever. lots of places for it

the US vs them siege mentality has to stop. it's by no means even the majority of people who regularly post in this thread, let alone lurkers, etc, but it gives the impression that the thread as a whole is insular and unwelcoming and, yeah, it tends to make that prophecy true and it sucks

it's too late old man this thread has been exposed to vg-19 and it's spreading

fosborb
Dec 15, 2006

Chronic Good Poster

nexous posted:

it's not worse because of you! it's just people are in a state where nothing is a joke right now and every third post is getting reported for something

not everyone knows you were recently diagnosed with cancer, so...

nexous
Jan 14, 2003

I just want to be pure

16-bit Butt-Head posted:

its an important thing, to trust medical professionals

we don’t really have a choice, do we? “get a second opinion” is something people who have never had to get a second opinion say.

insurance won’t cover it, you’ll end up waiting at least 3 months for a non referred appointment. so you just hope the dr you got referred to knows what they are doing, isn’t having a bad day, etc.

StratGoatCom
Aug 6, 2019

Our security is guaranteed by being able to melt the eyeballs of any other forum's denizens at 15 minutes notice

fosborb posted:

this above all else, I'm sick of the shitshows and wanted to talk with rosalind about that idea for poo data. I hope she's around.

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

fosborb posted:

not everyone knows you were recently diagnosed with cancer, so...

so... they report that one post, bitch about it in sad, and its off to the goddamn races. right? because that's how this goes, every loving time!

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

I am Metango, Galactic Governor

if your doctor doesn't tell you what you want to hear you can burn one of your inspiration dice to re-do his diagnosis

StratGoatCom
Aug 6, 2019

Gunshow Poophole posted:

so... they report that one post, bitch about it in sad, and its off to the goddamn races. right? because that's how this goes, every loving time!

Yeah, I hate the siege mentality, I want it to go away and I want folks trying to stir it up without even letting Fosarb finish a week without shaking up the ant farm, in the middle of a real doxxing crisis at that to just shut the gently caress up so we can have a new week and enjoy interesting chat with new faces.

yoloer420
May 19, 2006

fosborb posted:

the US vs them siege mentality has to stop

Is there some guidance on what topics tend to cause these issues? I'm not keen to go read SAD to find out what is upsetting people.

Outside of that I think many of us just default to what we experience when out in about in the world, which is that any reminder that covid exists is grounds for animosity. Obviously this (hopefully faulty) assumption is unhelpful, as that's what we're here to discuss.

I just want a supportive place to vent about poo poo, discuss covid avoidance tactics, and be generally chill without needing to pretend there isn't a pandemic.

StratGoatCom
Aug 6, 2019

yoloer420 posted:

Is there some guidance on what topics tend to cause these issues? I'm not keen to go read SAD to find out what is upsetting people.

Outside of that I think many of us just default to what we experience when out in about in the world, which is that any reminder that covid exists is grounds for animosity. Obviously this (hopefully faulty) assumption is unhelpful, as that's what we're here to discuss.

It's never been that for me, very few folks I meet day to day make a fuss and I see those Canadian kn95s all the bloody time.

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

fosborb posted:

HIV/AIDS COVID comparisons need to stop

I don't think comparing them is the problem (they are both, after all, viral pandemics that have killed millions of people if nothing else, and there are loads of papers demonstrating that sars-cov-2 fucks with the immune system, and there are a lot of parallels in the public health failures), it's equating them and appropriating the name that's problematic. It's the same thing as calling it the flu but going the other direction; it's just hyperbolic nonsense. For example, while there's plenty of evidence that post-acute COVID causes immune problems, there's no evidence that it causes a progressive degenerative immune syndrome that kills you years after you contract it. E.g., one of the brighter points in that big VA PASC study with a 2-year cohort is that the excess death risk levels off after a couple years rather than increasing over time. And to Rosalind's point even if it did do that, it'd be called something else, not AIDS, which means specifically late-stage HIV-caused disease.

I don't think "don't make the comparison" is a good rule. I do think "don't speciously equate them or steal the name of one to make the other sound scarier" is.

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry
at this rate we'll have to refer to a d&d style codex of posting statutes

I AM INVOKING COVID THREAD STATUTE 454.69 subsection b! I am making permitted humorous observation re: celebrity hubris!

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
I had a guy yell at me from their car about wearing a mask a few weeks ago.

Phigs
Jan 23, 2019

Yeah don't post in or read SAD it's a bad place for bad people to post in. I'm only posting in there because it's scratching that arguing with morons in DnD itch I haven't scratched in ages. I should definitely stop though.

yoloer420
May 19, 2006

StratGoatCom posted:

It's never been that for me, very few folks I meet day to day make a fuss and I see those Canadian kn95s all the bloody time.

There are Canadian kn95s? I'm interested!

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things
I dont really know why its so hard to just assume everyone in this thread has a very good and valid reason to be avoiding covid. That's the good faith assumption i make.

nexous
Jan 14, 2003

I just want to be pure
on the “us vs them” thing. we have gotten some new consistent posters out of this who I feel bring some much needed perspective to the thread

it did get insular and awfully crazy. there’s been some well deserved bans and permas in this thread. it’s not bad to have people disagree with the thread echo chamber, just don’t immediately jump up and scream conspiracy theories about them

you have to realize that people who care about Covid and not catching it are such a tiny percent of people that we are seen as crazy by pretty much 99% of the population. we are in fact not typical people, and atypical people get made fun of. roll with the punches, post your data and keep safe. but do it knowing that it will aggravate normal people.

Danknificent
Nov 20, 2015

Jinkies! Looks like we've got a mystery on our hands.

The Oldest Man posted:

I don't think comparing them is the problem (they are both, after all, viral pandemics that have killed millions of people if nothing else, and there are loads of papers demonstrating that sars-cov-2 fucks with the immune system, and there are a lot of parallels in the public health failures), it's equating them and appropriating the name that's problematic. It's the same thing as calling it the flu but going the other direction; it's just hyperbolic nonsense. For example, while there's plenty of evidence that post-acute COVID causes immune problems, there's no evidence that it causes a progressive degenerative immune syndrome that kills you years after you contract it. E.g., one of the brighter points in that big VA PASC study with a 2-year cohort is that the excess death risk levels off after a couple years rather than increasing over time. And to Rosalind's point even if it did do that, it'd be called something else, not AIDS, which means specifically late-stage HIV-caused disease.

I don't think "don't make the comparison" is a good rule. I do think "don't speciously equate them or steal the name of one to make the other sound scarier" is.

HallelujahLee
May 3, 2009

the us vs them is probably the main reason the thread causes issues for outside posters or whatever alot of people get accused of trolling and yes of course theres trolling its cspam that comes with the territory but even legit posters got accused and it got pretty crazy.

it does seem though that the wackos are mostly being taken care of now, the thread can be entirely fine if it general just mellows down and eliminates the us vs them crap.

i personally think the thread is fine overall and its a minority of wackos that got it the bad rep anyways just an opinion from someone that reads the thread since the first one but posts little in here

Captain Magic
Apr 4, 2005

Yes, we have feathers--but the muscles of men.

Phigs posted:

Yeah don't post in or read SAD it's a bad place for bad people to post in. I'm only posting in there because it's scratching that arguing with morons in DnD itch I haven't scratched in ages. I should definitely stop though.

mistakes were made

StratGoatCom
Aug 6, 2019

I want calibanibal back, he was funny in every thread even if I didn't think it at the time.

StratGoatCom has issued a correction as of 01:59 on Aug 23, 2023

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things

StratGoatCom posted:

I want calibanibal back, he was funny in ever thread even if I didn't think it at the time.

I will forever miss snoo and twoday in this thread.

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007
the easiest way to post in qcs is to say stuff normally (tall order for goons). you are unbeatable as the other person is without a doubt gonna freak tf out or you’ll run out the clock. boomshakalaka

HallelujahLee
May 3, 2009

best advice is dont post in qcs take it from someone that sometimes posts there

Rosalind
Apr 30, 2013

When we hit our lowest point, we are open to the greatest change.

StratGoatCom posted:

this above all else, I'm sick of the shitshows and wanted to talk with rosalind about that idea for poo data. I hope she's around.

It's my weekly D&D game tonight but I'll probably have some more thoughts in the morning.

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things

Homeless Friend posted:

the easiest way to post in qcs is to say stuff normally (tall order for goons). you are unbeatable as the other person is without a doubt gonna freak tf out or you’ll run out the clock. boomshakalaka

im too autistic to know what normal is, im sorry

StratGoatCom
Aug 6, 2019

Rosalind posted:

It's my weekly D&D game tonight but I'll probably have some more thoughts in the morning.

:buddy: I'm glad to see you around, the era of goon data science projects can begin! :eng101:

Johnny Cache Hit
Oct 17, 2011

Shiroc posted:

Combining the vintage conversations with this one and taking up smoking to develop cancer to have more time for video games and protect myself from covid with the power of nicotine.

been thinking about taking up cigars, good to see this decision validated.

yoloer420
May 19, 2006

silicone thrills posted:

I dont really know why its so hard to just assume everyone in this thread has a very good and valid reason to be avoiding covid. That's the good faith assumption i make.

I think it's just the concept that there needs to be a special justification to avoid covid. Many people in the thread are avoiding it because it causes long term harm in a significant portion of (if not all) cases.

That idea upsets people.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Petey
Nov 26, 2005

For who knows what is good for a person in life, during the few and meaningless days they pass through like a shadow? Who can tell them what will happen under the sun after they are gone?
I don’t know what SAD is. I barely know what QCS is. You don’t have to look at other forums and it’s great to put people on ignore. I just want to post in this thread with my pals who also think Covid is something worth caring about. I hope we can do that :unsmith: