Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: PoundSand)

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
Maybe but I’m trying to hold onto the idea that at least some people are making genuine efforts to find potential cures or solutions that are actually real and durable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things

Fansy posted:

all doctors are liars and frauds intentionally keeping the diagnosis rates of COVID dampened so people don't realize it's JUST AS BAD AS IT'S EVER BEEN

It's more like insurance companies who are now gate keeping getting a PCR so hard that watching covid rates is basically impossible now. WA state has kept pretty details info and the absolute nose dive in testing was obvious but the positive rate in the few tests that are being done is basically been baselined at a "well there's always people sick with covid forever I guess"

I had to get a PCR recently and you have to answer the sequence of questions exactly right or theyll just mail you a RAT. Mainly that I already had a positive RAT got me through I think.

Strep Vote
May 5, 2004

أنا أحب حليب الشوكولاتة

Shiroc posted:

Maintaining my beet place setting in hopes for Calibanibal's return and our liberation from this plague

Hollowing out a beet and carving a happy face on it and putting it on the porch to guide poor ol' wandering calibanibal home.

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

Not loving that the messaging is strategy is that long covid victims aren't a priority for the big new marquee COVID initiative and funding stream because that's being solved by RECOVER right after the analysis of what happened to all the RECOVER funding found that the money's basically all gone and hasn't generated any candidate treatment trials

e:

Shiroc posted:

Maybe but I’m trying to hold onto the idea that at least some people are making genuine efforts to find potential cures or solutions that are actually real and durable.

Yeah the article I linked above actually talks about this; there are no shortages of scientists and doctors who have ideas about this, e.g., see Eric Topol's paper about just that subject here: https://www.nature.com/articles/s41579-022-00846-2

but they're not who got the billion dollars the NIH just spent.

The Oldest Man has issued a correction as of 19:46 on Aug 23, 2023

Poppers
Jan 21, 2023

Pharmaceutical companies are evil, unfortunately. It’s just the truth. Also hospital admin and insurance companies. Health workers are cool and researchers are fine.

Epitope
Nov 27, 2006

Grimey Drawer
I want to shout in real life but instead I'll digitally shout into the void, see this thread has good impacts too

The bushy beard guy who sits next to me at work's family is sick, tested positive. I hear his plan is to continue working and mask. I text:
[snip] and your plan is to mask. You know masking is only effective with a good fit right? Which requires shaving...

His reply:
I don't know if you heard but [snip] just tested positive for COVID with one of the at-home kits, so I'm actually not gonna be doing the PPE making with an N95, I'm gonna be doing the "protecting other people" masking with a surgical mask. I'm very exposed at this point so I'm not worried about further exposure anymore. Thanks for the tip though!

Today he's here and he and others are chatting unmasked in the break room for half an hour, then mask goes back on.

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

Epitope posted:

I want to shout in real life but instead I'll digitally shout into the void, see this thread has good impacts too

The bushy beard guy who sits next to me at work's family is sick, tested positive. I hear his plan is to continue working and mask. I text:
[snip] and your plan is to mask. You know masking is only effective with a good fit right? Which requires shaving...

His reply:
I don't know if you heard but [snip] just tested positive for COVID with one of the at-home kits, so I'm actually not gonna be doing the PPE making with an N95, I'm gonna be doing the "protecting other people" masking with a surgical mask. I'm very exposed at this point so I'm not worried about further exposure anymore. Thanks for the tip though!

Today he's here and he and others are chatting unmasked in the break room for half an hour, then mask goes back on.

Well somebody has to protect you guys from immunity debt

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

super weird going with the star trek theme after Warp Speed loving lol

2025 vaxx gonna be called the enterprise calling it

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

The Oldest Man posted:

Not loving that the messaging is strategy is that long covid victims aren't a priority for the big new marquee COVID initiative and funding stream because that's being solved by RECOVER right after the analysis of what happened to all the RECOVER funding found that the money's basically all gone and hasn't generated any candidate treatment trials

e:

Yeah the article I linked above actually talks about this; there are no shortages of scientists and doctors who have ideas about this, e.g., see Eric Topol's paper about just that subject here: https://www.nature.com/articles/s41579-022-00846-2

but they're not who got the billion dollars the NIH just spent.

yeah kinda feels like the long term plan for long covid is at this point to tell everyone that it's all in their head

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

hailthefish posted:

yeah kinda feels like the long term plan for long covid is at this point to tell everyone that it's all in their head

Drake no: fund larger studies into promising therapeutics like metformin that showed convincing long covid reductions in acute trials
Drake yes: graded exercise therapy, bitch

Akaiku
May 17, 2013
60+ old dad who has like most of the things that make covid kick your rear end, including having had covid, "I'm not going to wear a mask"
Me asking him to wear a mask, "But you are painting the house outdoors in wildfire smoke."

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things

Akaiku posted:

60+ old dad who has like most of the things that make covid kick your rear end, including having had covid, "I'm not going to wear a mask"
Me asking him to wear a mask, "But you are painting the house outdoors in wildfire smoke."

Last year when the bolt fire was going on just outside seattle and we had like insane 300ppm airquality readings and poo poo and ash fall - my mask turned brown from the air in about an hour and a half and meanwhile I saw so many people just like raw dogging that air.

You'd think mask wearing would be dead brained obvious when the literal air has ashes floating through it but this is america :d2a:

Phigs
Jan 23, 2019

Lib and let die posted:

you could say the same thing about succ zone a year or two ago, and in retrospect there was a valid criticism that we would spend way too much time winding ourselves up over posts we didn't have to read, often just to the moronic end result of a regular succ zone poster getting riled up enough to go running into D&D screaming about azov-nazi-loving neoliberals because they'd been boiling about ukraineposting for hours in the succ zone - except instead of screaming at DV and catching 3 days off it's screaming at the sample vendor and getting asked to leave the costco.

Kinda feels like succ zone and DnD could be replaced with SAD and COVID thread in this scenario though. Including that I was a succ zone poster when that all went down so this feels extremely familiar. I have no idea why it's happening to my CSPAM thread of choice again, I've never been one of the problem posters so it's not my doing.

Phigs has issued a correction as of 20:41 on Aug 23, 2023

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck
Just reminded of the time about a year ago when I took a tour of some old underground tunnels and the tour guide started handing out masks. One or two people scoffed, and she said, "It's not for covid, it's really musty down there." Which caused the skeptics to mask up super quick lest they catch... must.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

hailthefish posted:

i'm summarizing the nonsense my insane chud parents relay to me :shrug:

My Dad is exactly the same, these last three years he's had several "severe colds" that lasted up to a month but even though he's never once tested for covid he's still absolutely adamant that he's never had covid. He also swears that he's really careful about masking but he only wears surgical masks in stores and he's been maskless everywhere else, including his weekly visits to friends.

mags
May 30, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!

Epitope posted:

His reply:

hailthefish posted:

the liberal mind (as observed in :911:) is trained for the performance, performative equality, performative allyship, performative caring, while doing nothing to change behavior or material conditions. Epitope's coworker has a family member that's positive, so he will perform like he cares about covid, but he still doesn't so he will converse and go out to eat and come to work while possibly positive with a disease that kills and debilitates people, and slip on the mask around people he knows the performance is required for social cohesion. which makes sense when you have to deal with people who care and go against what everyone is constantly told to do, to not worry about it, it's just an "uptick", covid is endemic, long covid isn't a big deal, there's nothing you can do but let things keep going as they are. it's easy to make this a simple individual moral judgement, (and i'll leave that up to you since you actually know this person and whether they are otherwise an ok person) but its a mountain of individual points were people will and are led down the path of covid denial or minimization in whatever form it takes. patience and compassion for those who are sick is all i can ever answer this with, no matter how angry someone i care about makes me when they treat this disease so callously. to those people around me and in my life i never hope they "find out" while dreading the high chances we will. i reserve my ire for the people who profit from our misery and disease, politically, financially, otherwise. covid, like any other natural disaster or disease, is a convenient tool of wealth inequality, exploitation, and acceptable death, the capitalist playbook is essentially the same.

inferis
Dec 30, 2003

silicone thrills posted:

Last year when the bolt fire was going on just outside seattle and we had like insane 300ppm airquality readings and poo poo and ash fall - my mask turned brown from the air in about an hour and a half and meanwhile I saw so many people just like raw dogging that air.

You'd think mask wearing would be dead brained obvious when the literal air has ashes floating through it but this is america :d2a:

in 2020 I saw a guy sitting in an open convertible smoking cigarettes and looking at his phone while the aqi was 500+

FUCK COREY PERRY
Apr 19, 2008

bobtheconqueror posted:

You know how folks complain about "normalization" forcing COVID news and people that are COVID conscious, from immunocompromised folks to just people who don't like being sick, into the margins of society? The notion that many people are ignorant of the realities of COVID because it's simply considered impolite to discuss them?

This is just a dead comedy forum, but the sort of forced decorum (in a supposed FYAD lite no less), especially when dealing with a mass death and disability event, is normalization in action. It's the very same idea of conflating calmness and politeness with just thought or actions, ultimately as a means to enforce the status quo, but in this case more likely just a weird visceral reaction brought on by propaganda that COVID isn't something to be taken seriously.

I don't have any objections to moderating the thread, but the whole notion that we can thread the needle to please dedicated poo poo stirrers who demand the thread be "normal" is absurd at face value. COVID taken seriously isn't normal, and folks whose whole posting persona is trying to police other threads aren't inclined to be satisfied anyways. The thread will be normalized until it is dead or removed, regardless of the actual content of the posts.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

was this supposed to be a comedy probe or something

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

gently caress COREY PERRY posted:

was this supposed to be a comedy probe or something

I believe there have been multiple calls from multiple mods to end the 'us vs them' mentality and this probe seems to be the manifestation of that call being ignored.

FUCK COREY PERRY
Apr 19, 2008

silicone thrills posted:

The vibes in this thread are like if you are at work and your boss is just constantly standing behind you watching for you to do something wrong.

It sucks and I hate it now.

yeah new thread is a lot less fun than before. sad!

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

Epitope posted:

His reply:

giant oof

RIP to your coworkers

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

they tell me i can't shout at minimum wage retail workers
_____________________________/

they tell me i can't assume every celebrity illness is ultracovid
__________________________________/

Epitope
Nov 27, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Rochallor posted:

Just reminded of the time about a year ago when I took a tour of some old underground tunnels and the tour guide started handing out masks. One or two people scoffed, and she said, "It's not for covid, it's really musty down there." Which caused the skeptics to mask up super quick lest they catch... must.

Haha

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

Rochallor posted:

Yeah I've had people say "oh yeah for the shop's wine cellar! Great idea!"

not... specifically no, but yes

Samog
Dec 13, 2006
At least I'm not an 07.

Epitope
Nov 27, 2006

Grimey Drawer

mags posted:

the liberal mind (as observed in :911:) is trained for the performance, performative equality, performative allyship, performative caring, while doing nothing to change behavior or material conditions. Epitope's coworker has a family member that's positive, so he will perform like he cares about covid, but he still doesn't so he will converse and go out to eat and come to work while possibly positive with a disease that kills and debilitates people, and slip on the mask around people he knows the performance is required for social cohesion. which makes sense when you have to deal with people who care and go against what everyone is constantly told to do, to not worry about it, it's just an "uptick", covid is endemic, long covid isn't a big deal, there's nothing you can do but let things keep going as they are. it's easy to make this a simple individual moral judgement, (and i'll leave that up to you since you actually know this person and whether they are otherwise an ok person) but its a mountain of individual points were people will and are led down the path of covid denial or minimization in whatever form it takes. patience and compassion for those who are sick is all i can ever answer this with, no matter how angry someone i care about makes me when they treat this disease so callously. to those people around me and in my life i never hope they "find out" while dreading the high chances we will. i reserve my ire for the people who profit from our misery and disease, politically, financially, otherwise. covid, like any other natural disaster or disease, is a convenient tool of wealth inequality, exploitation, and acceptable death, the capitalist playbook is essentially the same.

These people all have chemistry/biology degrees and "believe science" but just don't care. I don't blame them, I find it very hard to care myself. I bought cases of N95s in all shapes and sizes, and I think a couple have been worn a couple times. The guy I'm griping about even said "I can't afford to stay home" which I totally get and don't hold that part against him at all. I do feel like he finds his beard more important than my health and comfort, which stings a little, but I'm pretty sure I should just swallow it.

inferis
Dec 30, 2003

Epitope posted:

These people all have chemistry/biology degrees and "believe science" but just don't care. I don't blame them, I find it very hard to care myself. I bought cases of N95s in all shapes and sizes, and I think a couple have been worn a couple times. The guy I'm griping about even said "I can't afford to stay home" which I totally get and don't hold that part against him at all. I do feel like he finds his beard more important than my health and comfort, which stings a little, but I'm pretty sure I should just swallow it.

if you don’t want Covid can’t you wear a mask?

Why Am I So Tired
Sep 28, 2021

inferis posted:

It's better for everyone if there's less COVID in the air.

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

I’m taking nattokinase for chest pain and this stuff smells rancid, I can only imagine what actual natto is like

StratGoatCom
Aug 6, 2019

Our security is guaranteed by being able to melt the eyeballs of any other forum's denizens at 15 minutes notice

Epitope posted:

I mean, aside from anything else my country's burning down dude, no reason not to wear one even if COVID magically vanished.

Baddog
May 12, 2001
Colonoscopy trip report in case anyone else is due.

-"wear a mask" at the top of their email instructions was very dated, lol. I was the only one.
-I believe every butt doctor in Colorado works for the same company now, and they have it down to a streamlined science. Huge crowd of middle aged and older folks being herded through the pens on our way to getting probed.
-old (older-than-me) guy in waiting room wearing a comically absurd amount of flag-attire tried to give me the eyeball, but I flipped his table and that was that.

Good news
-nurse asked me if I wanted them to wear masks for the procedure, and they were very cool about it
-she did ask why ("doctor will want to know"), and it sucks to have to do the whole woe is me song and dance for an accommodation, but I think it was sincerely out of concern for health complications. Not "we don't believe you".
-anesthesiologist just had me pull my n95 up over the oxygen before putting me out. And I woke up with it on tight.

So pretty good all things considered. Small polyps were pruned, got ahead of the colon cancer. Get it done if you are supposed to.

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

Baddog posted:

-"wear a mask" at the top of their email instructions was very dated, lol. I was the only one.
-I believe every butt doctor in Colorado works for the same company now, and they have it down to a streamlined science. Huge crowd of middle aged and older folks being herded through the pens on our way to getting probed.
-old (older-than-me) guy in waiting room wearing a comically absurd amount of flag-attire tried to give me the eyeball, but I flipped his table and that was that.

Good news
-nurse asked me if I wanted them to wear masks for the procedure, and they were very cool about it
-she did ask why ("doctor will want to know"), and it sucks to have to do the whole woe is me song and dance for an accommodation, but I think it was sincerely out of concern for health complications. Not "we don't believe you".
-anesthesiologist just had me pull my n95 up over the oxygen before putting me out. And I woke up with it on tight.

So pretty good all things considered. Small polyps were pruned, got ahead of the colon cancer. Get it done if you are supposed to.

congrats on a successful procedure!

Real Mean Queen
Jun 2, 2004

Zesty.

silicone thrills posted:

Some years before covid I was in a town near a forest fire and saw a dude skateboarding around with a takeout bag from subway and an elastomeric and thought to myself "well that guy's got today figured out"

Epitope
Nov 27, 2006

Grimey Drawer

inferis posted:

I'm not great at this either, I did shave today and am wearing and N95. Even if I was elestomer crew or papr or whatever, it's still not great to have a cloud next to me, ya? And I'm not just worried about myself, I'm worried about the others here, but I can't make them care.

Also someone else stayed home last week cuz of covid. I don't know if that's a financial hardship for her, but it's not very fair to her for others to say gently caress it

StratGoatCom
Aug 6, 2019

Our security is guaranteed by being able to melt the eyeballs of any other forum's denizens at 15 minutes notice

Epitope posted:

I'm not great at this either, I did shave today and am wearing and N95. Even if I was elestomer crew or papr or whatever, it's still not great to have a cloud next to me, ya? And I'm not just worried about myself, I'm worried about the others here, but I can't make them care.

Big mood my dude, big mood. I wish I could get the folks I care about to be more careful, it's the single biggest thing that eats me.

Why Am I So Tired
Sep 28, 2021

Baddog posted:

Nice! Glad it ended up going so well.

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

https://twitter.com/WSJ/status/1694401041578480011

you all see this? think it was covid? :tinfoil:

Shyfted One
May 9, 2008
Just got an email from Amerisource Bergen about preordering the latest vaccines due out in September so I guess they're not too far off from shipping out to pharmacies and hospitals

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

Actually it was lockdowns

e: which covid thread regular is putin???

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat