Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

BHB posted:

I didn't expect the story to end with Ippo becoming world champ but yeah, only halfway done is pretty loving nuts

i dont think hes gonna fight frieza but i'd be down for it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Ippo 2077

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 7 days!)

Ippo 30 years from now.

"wow, can't believe Aoki became the world champion. Thought the series jumped the shark after Takamura got hit by a truck, and Ippo traveled back in time, but the final arc was pretty good"

Sextro
Aug 23, 2014

Retsu-Isekai has been great, I would pay money for a Takamura-Isekai.

The Notorious ZSB
Apr 19, 2004

I SAID WE'RE NOT GONNA BE FUCKING SUCK THIS YEAR!!!

tbp posted:

it was cool that mori layered in a gag that also showed us ippo's fine motor control is basically back. the ippo that couldn't draw a straight line would never have been able to piece together those robots as well as he did, even if he hosed it up a bit

This is very smart and this poo poo is such long term story telling I had forgotten about his fine motor control being mush when he retired. So many chapters since that happened, thats a good catch.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Larry Cum Free posted:

It'll be fun after Ippo beats the poo poo out of two world champions in higher weight classes than him in sparring and still doesn't think he has what it takes to return to boxing.

To be fair, the Ippo/Volg spar wasn't really Ippo owning Volg. Volg is surprised at first at Ippo not treating it like a touch spar, and then they get some hits in on each other once Volg starts taking it more seriously, and they're broken apart before Volg can attempt to do something about Ippo's Dempsey roll.

He was still definitely fighting on-par with Volg, though Ricardo is apparently some hyper-genius that is better than the world champions in most other weight classes.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Ytlaya posted:

To be fair, the Ippo/Volg spar wasn't really Ippo owning Volg. Volg is surprised at first at Ippo not treating it like a touch spar, and then they get some hits in on each other once Volg starts taking it more seriously, and they're broken apart before Volg can attempt to do something about Ippo's Dempsey roll.

He was still definitely fighting on-par with Volg, though Ricardo is apparently some hyper-genius that is better than the world champions in most other weight classes.

Most Featherweight people who go for a world title explicitly avoid Ricardo. Miyata stated he planned to do the same, as Ricardo for some unknown reason has never tried to unify the Featherweight Belts under him.

Still he's considered the number 1 boxer Pound for Pound.

MonsterEnvy fucked around with this message at 00:21 on Aug 24, 2023

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

Ippo steps into the ring, Mashiba uses the elbow block again, Ippo permanently destroys his fist and can never box again

The End

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Good soup! posted:

Ippo steps into the ring, Mashiba uses the elbow block again, Ippo permanently destroys his fist and can never box again

The End

He already did this to the point where his shattered bones were literally penetrating his skin, and fixed it by Mari-sensei telling him to put his hands in cold water + giving him a painkiller shot

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

His fist is going to burst open Fist of the North Star-style and the next panel will be the word "END" with nothing else

I was right about Wally being murdered and I'll be right about this

Centzon Totochtin
Jan 2, 2009
Ippo brings a gun to the spar to give Mashiba the authentic experience

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

MonsterEnvy posted:

Most Featherweight people who go for a world title explicitly avoid Ricardo. Miyata stated he planned to do the same, as Ricardo for some unknown reason has never tried to unify the Featherweight Belts under him.

Still he's considered the number 1 boxer Pound for Pound.

Takamura would eat him

I will never bet against a human being who killed a bear with his hands

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Shinjobi posted:

Takamura would eat him

I will never bet against a human being who killed a bear with his hands

Well yes Takamura would beat Ricardo in a fight. Dude is nearly twice as big as him. Also that Bear got shot after Takamura beat it up.

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer

Kart Barfunkel posted:

I just started this anime last week and so far it’s really entertaining, informative about boxing in a way that keeps me interested, and genuinely inspiring at times.

Great stuff so far. I’m in the middle of Ippo’s rematch with Miyata.

I plan on finishing at least this original run of the anime.

The original 2 seasons are an all-time sports anime IMO, and the following 2 movies and further season are all very good as well. Ironically it may be a good thing that the anime never got to the really weak stuff in the manga, it died before it could see itself become the villain.

Also this guy does fighting reaction/analysis videos and has covered just about everything in HnI, it can be a good way to rewatch specific fights and it turns out the show is surprisingly realistic in depicting how fighting/coaching actually happens IRL:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CTFjhzsc_xI

Supremezero posted:

Other authors: "Oh, Miura died... Uh... maybe we should get poo poo done?"

Morikawa: "WE GOING FOREVER BITCHESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS"

I just hope he's got good notes in case, well, yeah.

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

Takes No Damage posted:

I just hope he's got good notes in case, well, yeah.

can we please shut the gently caress up with this doomsaying-rear end comparision every time anyone mentions 'boy ippo sure is long huh'

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Patware posted:

can we please shut the gently caress up with this doomsaying-rear end comparision every time anyone mentions 'boy ippo sure is long huh'

Given what was just claimed very recently , it being half done, its not a weird take. Geez calm down.

Rubellavator
Aug 16, 2007

https://www.reddit.com/r/hajimenoippo/comments/14z7ogk/comment/jrx47ea/?utm_source=share&utm_medium=web2x&context=3

This guy on reddit seems to think it's more likely he's just saying the manga is still in progress.

Morikawa also posted on twitter back in January that he has the finale planned out and wants to end the manga as soon as possible while he still is physically able to.

https://twitter.com/WANPOWANWAN/status/1618781923656208385

So I think that "halfway" is just a bad translation, although I'm not good enough at Japanese to really say.

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen

Patware posted:

oh he's long alright

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

That Works posted:

Given what was just claimed very recently , it being half done, its not a weird take. Geez calm down.

nah, actually, it very much sucks that some people fall all over themselves to either doomsay or make the same bad joke about how morikawa's heart is 100% going to explode in a year almost every single time pacing or manga length comes up. which, for a slow-paced 1000+ chapter manga, it comes up a lot

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

they should make a spinoff on ippo's former bully, not friend who's now a manga artist.
or aoki's ramen job

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
Yeah if only there was a prominent, recent example of a decades long series being cut short by the very thing people joked about.

I think it's warranted when a series started in 1989 is alleged to only be halfway done, and the story JUST released a chapter when the former boxer has to be reminded that he was, in fact, a boxer, and also there's a break before the next chapter.

A lot of the jokes are probably more due to the incredulous idea of the series being only halfway done but also some frustration at this retirement arc. It's not that it's bad, it has been entertaining. But good lord, it's 34 years of a series and where the hell are we?

Centzon Totochtin
Jan 2, 2009
Spin off of Takamura's "world travels" in-between his fights

Larry Cum Free
Jun 3, 2022

move it or lose it dillweed

Shinjobi posted:

Yeah if only there was a prominent, recent example of a decades long series being cut short by the very thing people joked about.

I think it's warranted when a series started in 1989 is alleged to only be halfway done, and the story JUST released a chapter when the former boxer has to be reminded that he was, in fact, a boxer, and also there's a break before the next chapter.

A lot of the jokes are probably more due to the incredulous idea of the series being only halfway done but also some frustration at this retirement arc. It's not that it's bad, it has been entertaining. But good lord, it's 34 years of a series and where the hell are we?

Ippo's last fight was in 2018 lol

Rubellavator
Aug 16, 2007

I really think "halfway" is just a lovely google translation

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer

GateOfD posted:

they should make a spinoff on ippo's former bully, not friend who's now a manga artist.
or aoki's ramen job

There's already a manga about struggling mangaka, but a Yakitate!!-style slice of life gag manga about the ramen/flower shop could work as a spin off.

Centzon Totochtin posted:

Spin off of Takamura's "world travels" in-between his fights

It is super weird that these are still a complete mystery to us. I'm sure they started out just as a way to get Takamura out of the picture for a while so the focus could be on other characters, otherwise every boxing dilemma they had would be solved with a Marvel-style 'why don't they just call the Avengers'.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Patware posted:

nah, actually, it very much sucks that some people fall all over themselves to either doomsay or make the same bad joke about how morikawa's heart is 100% going to explode in a year almost every single time pacing or manga length comes up. which, for a slow-paced 1000+ chapter manga, it comes up a lot

I don't think its much of a joke to note when discussing pacing to point out that a 57 year old man who has been working on a series constantly since 1989 might die. Especially given that they are in a profession notorious for health issues and that one of his former assistants, 3 years his junior, who started a manga also in 1989 died of aortic dissection 2 years ago without finishing their work.

It's especially relevant for it to be brought up when someone notes that the same author said it was halfway done.

But...

Rubellavator posted:

I really think "halfway" is just a lovely google translation

this is probably the case.

Boco_T
Mar 12, 2003

la calaca tilica y flaca
This is how DeepL translates it:

道半 does have the character 半 which is used for "half" when you say "3:30" it's 三時半 but I think it just means "the manga is still going so please keep reading."

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

what other manga has been going on for as long? Detective Conan?
Dragonball doesn't count since it was on hiatus for a decade, and it isn't even the same guy anymore drawing.

Boco_T
Mar 12, 2003

la calaca tilica y flaca
Similar series in the same situation: Minami no Teio, Cooking Papa, Grappler Baki, Jojo's
Sorta but doesn't count: Golgo 13, Kinnikuman
Longer series that already ended: Dokaben, KochiKame, Ginga
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_manga_series_by_volume_count

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.
Takao Saito wrote Golgo 13 for more than 50 years. It took COVID for it to take the first break in publication after 52 years of being published. The author actively made plans to have it continue after his death and reach the ending he had planned, because he wasn't going to speed it up but believed the work to be bigger than him. It has the most volumes of any manga....ever.

And yet I feel like outside some incredibly niche communities it never gets brought up. It's kind of wild.

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Mulva posted:

Takao Saito wrote Golgo 13 for more than 50 years. It took COVID for it to take the first break in publication after 52 years of being published. The author actively made plans to have it continue after his death and reach the ending he had planned, because he wasn't going to speed it up but believed the work to be bigger than him. It has the most volumes of any manga....ever.

And yet I feel like outside some incredibly niche communities it never gets brought up. It's kind of wild.

Golgo 13 is my go-to when someone mentions longest continually running manga. I've never really sat down and read it, seen a few of the movies and the series way back when. It's pretty much James Bond but instead of a spy he's a sniper assassin, right?

The other thing I remember (or just can't forget) is that some fans are so obsessive they catalogue literally everything about the plot, including maintaining a spreadsheet of all the times Golgo hosed, timestamps, what positions were used etc...

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Boco_T posted:

This is how DeepL translates it:

道半 does have the character 半 which is used for "half" when you say "3:30" it's 三時半 but I think it just means "the manga is still going so please keep reading."

First Steps-kun and his friends are always getting into trouble

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

Takes No Damage posted:

The original 2 seasons are an all-time sports anime IMO, and the following 2 movies and further season are all very good as well. Ironically it may be a good thing that the anime never got to the really weak stuff in the manga, it died before it could see itself become the villain.

I still wanna see the weak stuff get animated, there's still plenty of good parts mixed in there and I'm dying to see how they would animate the Ippo vs. Wally fight

They'll do a stage show but not another season of the anime, that's pretty wack imo

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Good soup! posted:

They'll do a stage show

Curious how that works. During fights do the actors just freeze frame and deliver thoughts/inner monologues into hidden lapel mikes?

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

It's a bit bizarre in action

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kqDWlHRBmtY

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I did wonder how they would do microphones with the actors being shirtless, guess I was overthinking things.

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

let me know when that famous all female troupe does an Ippo musical

Raven9686
Feb 17, 2012

Rubellavator posted:

Ippo shouldn't be allowed to spar with anyone after what happened with Volg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LkB-sREr9Yk

This really makes me wish the anime continued.

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

Raven9686 posted:

drat this is actually really cool

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

DU WIRST NIEMALS ALLEINE MARSCHIEREN

Raven9686 posted:

oh this was cool