Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Nessus posted:

I think Gundam ought to expand and explore the concept elsewhere, but they're going to keep loving the chicken that is the UC, you might get similar effects by either having the key antagonist of the perspective group be a Newtype when nobody else is, or by having a Newtype who for whatever reason doesn't want to open up to that part of themselves, but is being compelled to do so in order to survive, without having the reluctance turn into "oh I guess I just had to get over it."

Yazan Monogatari eh?

Could be fun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

Nessus posted:

Honestly this is all warming me on Gundam X, most of what I encountered was indeed "Newtypes are the problem and are just weird freaks, guys! This is the Gundam show without any of that stupid empathy poo poo! Purge the mutant and the heretic, lol!"

I think Gundam ought to expand and explore the concept elsewhere, but they're going to keep loving the chicken that is the UC, you might get similar effects by either having the key antagonist of the perspective group be a Newtype when nobody else is, or by having a Newtype who for whatever reason doesn't want to open up to that part of themselves, but is being compelled to do so in order to survive, without having the reluctance turn into "oh I guess I just had to get over it."

I agree, they should make a spinoff about Scirocco's rise to power in the Jupiter Fleet :hmmyes:

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

And the Battlogue Kickstarter is live

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/legendarycomics/gundam-battlogue

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

I backed it because I want to support this kind of thing, but man the art they show off is pretty rough.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Nessus posted:

Honestly this is all warming me on Gundam X, most of what I encountered was indeed "Newtypes are the problem and are just weird freaks, guys! This is the Gundam show without any of that stupid empathy poo poo! Purge the mutant and the heretic, lol!"

That isn't what Gundam X is at all, yeah. People like to claim it says that because it makes them happy to pretend Gundam is saying what they want to hear but the entire point of Gundam X is that "Newtype" isn't a term that refers to psychic powers, it refers to people who define the future. Garrod is a Newtype not because he has magic psychic powers but because he is someone who represents hope for the future.

That said I think the best non-UC Newtype story is actually X Astray. It actually deals with a lot of the stuff introduced in the Tomino novels and more weird and esoteric stuff and actually manages to make good use of it. It's also ends with the power of hugs and empathy which makes it stand out.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 04:47 on Aug 25, 2023

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Goddamn that kickstarter is doing insanely poorly. It might not make its goal.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I really don't get why they went with a fundraising campaign to begin with.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

What really baffles me is that most of the fun of Breaker Battlogue was seeing unusual jokey twists on classic Suits. And they’re doing a sequel that apparently has no new designs at all. Not even recolors.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

https://twitter.com/zeonicscans/status/1695108994472567089?t=M4VcjQkXBnHJZC8j_GfM5Q&s=19

Sounds like a classic case of "we wanted this to be a full series but now it's a movie"

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Waffleman_ posted:

https://twitter.com/zeonicscans/status/1695108994472567089?t=M4VcjQkXBnHJZC8j_GfM5Q&s=19

Sounds like a classic case of "we wanted this to be a full series but now it's a movie"

That sounds lovely

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Waffleman_ posted:

All this sounds good, but Fukuda is a liar and a scoundrel.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Waffleman_ posted:

Will there be a new contender for Most Divorced Man in Space as the antagonist?

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Oh man I am 100% on board for Mobile Suit Gundam Inherent Vice

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Neither Pynchon nor PTA deserve to be denigrated by a Fukuda comparison

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

Waffleman_ posted:

Gundam SEED F(reedom)91 here we come!

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Nessus posted:

Aren't Haman and Riddhe bits and pieces of these concepts? Haman being the 'gently caress you stay out' (and consequently not surviving) and Riddhe being the 'compelled' one (though he admits he had to get over it)?

Also, crosspost from the SRW thread because it's a banger.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
https://twitter.com/SEED_HDRP/status/1694998058109378932?t=B26FF3kVPI5BzBAH82mldA&s=19

I'm sorry I just can't with this guy.

I sell mobile suits and mobile suit accessories.

Arc Hammer fucked around with this message at 20:36 on Aug 25, 2023

I R SMART LIKE ROCK
Mar 10, 2003

I just want a hug.

Fun Shoe

Arc Hammer posted:

https://twitter.com/SEED_HDRP/status/1694998058109378932?t=B26FF3kVPI5BzBAH82mldA&s=19

I'm sorry I just can't with this guy.

I sell mobile suits and mobile suit accessories.

wtf is up with these models. they're approaching bobble head proportions

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Maybe the secret is that partway through it will become an SD Gundam show.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

This is the thing they were tripping over themselves to announce the fuckin second WfM ended

haypliss
Oct 2, 2022
It's been in the oven for over a decade, just let them drop the turd in peace and we can all move on.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled
I have no idea how anyone could look at those proportions through the entire production process and go "yeah, this looks good".

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Waffleman_ posted:

maybe not 'full series,' but definitely 'we wanted two movies and got one'

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

https://www.zeonic-republic.net/?page_id=11047

Here's the full interview

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

Gripweed posted:

What really baffles me is that most of the fun of Breaker Battlogue was seeing unusual jokey twists on classic Suits. And they’re doing a sequel that apparently has no new designs at all. Not even recolors.

white people simply do not understand

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I feel like the twitter summery above pretty heavily misrepresented the stuff he is saying here.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Why would he misrepresent the same article he translated?

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

I think if any mecha series had the clout to get people to see a 2.5 hour or longer film(besides eva) it'd probably be gundam seed so if it really is too dense the only have themselves to blame.

quote:

Fukuda: Well, all I can really say is, please watch it in the theater. I don’t think prior knowledge is necessary. A reunion after 20 years should definitely be experienced in a theater. Watch the movie first, then have a good discussion about it with everyone afterwards. I do think that you might not fully grasp everything after just one viewing. Even as I was making it, I felt like it was becoming quite convoluted. So all I can say is, delve into more information about it after you’ve seen it.

seems like a charitable intepretation of it imho

Stairmaster fucked around with this message at 21:42 on Aug 25, 2023

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Arc Hammer posted:

Why would he misrepresent the same article he translated?

Because Fukuda spends half the interview comparing it to Cyber Formula and if you've seen Cyber Formula it's pretty blunt what he means by it being info-heavy because Cyber Formula was paced like that. (It was one of its strengths in fact! it fits a whole lot into a relatively short time frame.)

Stairmaster posted:

seems like a charitable intepretation of it imho

It is literally saying "Watch the movie and then discuss it with other people to see how they viewed it" which is probably too ambitious for whatever the movie ends up being but acting like it's incoherent is silly. That's a big part of why the tweet feels clickbaity because "The movie has a lot going on, discuss it with people after you've seen it or look up information on it" isn't a particularly confusing statement

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 21:48 on Aug 25, 2023

The Notorious ZSB
Apr 19, 2004

I SAID WE'RE NOT GONNA BE FUCKING SUCK THIS YEAR!!!

Nessus posted:

X has some interesting ideas that are completely undeveloped. It is not well scripted or plotted with a lot of extraneous dead ends all over the narrative. It's really hard to watch X and not wish it was any number of better iterations of Gundam before or after it. So much of it feels like a lazy copy paste of Gundam things to the point where the interesting stuff it just not interesting anymore.

But it does allow for newtype animals and for that Dolphin episode its better than a number of the bottom tier gundam entires.

The Notorious ZSB fucked around with this message at 22:58 on Aug 25, 2023

Tulalip Tulips
Sep 1, 2013

The best apologies are crafted with love.
I unironically really like the dolphin episodes of X and I think it gets a bit better after that point since the pace picks up. X's biggest sin for me is having just utterly bland villains and copping out on making Enlil and Toniya get with Roybea and Witz.

haypliss
Oct 2, 2022
The dolphin arc is one of the worst in that show, but I suppose with people who don't like the rest of X they're just on a completely different page.

Not as bad as the MotW Gundam section, but its purpose in the overall narrative feels less necessary than the also bad Estard arc. And yeah none of these have good antagonists to salvage the other issues in their storylines.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Waffleman_ posted:

This is the thing they were tripping over themselves to announce the fuckin second WfM ended

Yeah it’s gonna be good and popular.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Gripweed posted:

Yeah it’s gonna be good and popular.

Well... one of those things.

The Notorious ZSB
Apr 19, 2004

I SAID WE'RE NOT GONNA BE FUCKING SUCK THIS YEAR!!!

haypliss posted:

The dolphin arc is one of the worst in that show, but I suppose with people who don't like the rest of X they're just on a completely different page.

Not as bad as the MotW Gundam section, but its purpose in the overall narrative feels less necessary than the also bad Estard arc. And yeah none of these have good antagonists to salvage the other issues in their storylines.

OH I didn't say it was good, just that it was novel and weird enough to keep the show from being as bad as like AGE or Destiny or something. X is deeply generic and kinda whatever a weird shadow pastiche of Gundam things. The antagonists behave like 7th grade drama kids writing their own cackling villains who are all bluster and no substance.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Warmachine posted:

Aren't Haman and Riddhe bits and pieces of these concepts? Haman being the 'gently caress you stay out' (and consequently not surviving) and Riddhe being the 'compelled' one (though he admits he had to get over it)?

Also, crosspost from the SRW thread because it's a banger.
Yeah, but they were antagonists (or at best a deuteragonist in Riddhe's case), I'm thinking for the main pilot of the Gundam.

That or the dolphin Newtype.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Johnny Mnemonic Hacker Dolphin> Soul Hackers Cyber Dolphin who steals your sister's soul > Pink Newtype Dolphin imo.

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

Endorph posted:

maybe not 'full series,' but definitely 'we wanted two movies and got one'
Or a series of movies like Unicorn (Those are OVA's but you get it).

I'm actually pretty excited for the SEED movie, but I also liked the 00 movie so. :v:

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled
Gundam X is a weird show for me. There's a lot of conceptual stuff about it that I love - the after-the-end setting, Jamil's entire backstory and current mission, the Frost Brothers becoming villains due to being hosed over and snubbed because they're not the exact correct type of magic brain baby - but the execution is so loving *boring*. The show is incredibly bland and meandering and it doesn't have strong enough character interactions or action sequences to compensate.

I don't hate it or anything but it's like the definition of a 6/10 series for me, and it only looks worse in the context of the other 90s AUs which are both really strong entries in their own ways.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Yeah, Gundam X isn't the worst thing ever but it's probably one of the most boring Gundam shows since it isn't even bad in a distinct way. It has some cool setting ideas and the Satellite Cannon is some top notch imagery but that's really about all it has going for it.