Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: PoundSand)

Weka
May 5, 2019

That child totally had it coming. Nobody should be able to be out at dusk except cars.

biceps crimes posted:

why are you people telling your boss about your posting on the something awful dot com forums???

I can't pray for you if I don't talk to my boss (God) about the forums.

biceps crimes posted:

Yes, having people quote your posts and make fun of you doesn't feel good,

Actually, it does, because the colour purple gives me a dopamine rush.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fansy
Feb 26, 2013

I GAVE LOWTAX COOKIE MONEY TO CHANGE YOUR STUPID AVATAR GO FUCK YOURSELF DUDE
Grimey Drawer

Pingui posted:

Excellent news, especially the Regeneron funding which is very big for the immunocompromised:

This stood out to me,

quote:

The public can expect to see clinical trials for new vaccine candidates targeting longer-lasting protection against future variants as early as this winter under Project NextGen.

Trials this winter! It seems the late 2024 timeline is still on track.

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

Lib and let die posted:

i never worked a chain restaurant and this is obviously anecdotal but it was very rare for the boss to insist someone come in if they were sick, especially kitchen staff. the woman that ran the schedule was a default 'on call' fill in and if she couldn't do it, we'd run a man short and one of the owners would hop in if we started getting underwater which was great because he'd get stoned with us under the ventilation hood

I mean its all anecdotal but my one food service job (catering, 5 years), the expectation was that if you were able to physically get to work you were expected at work, regardless of other symptoms.

Which has been the expectation at all my other jobs. The one time I got chewed out for showing up to work sick confused the hell out of me because it was working for a large org where you had to fill out multiple forms every time you used sick leave and if you used too much (3 times in a 6 month period) you'd get a disciplinary hearing, so the org was very clearly encouraging us to just show up sick.

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT
The unofficial secret motto of the culinary industry is "NEVER call in sick."

Line cook was the deadliest American profession wrt Covid in 2020 and 2021.

"Lockdowns" my loving rear end. These people never stopped eating out. And blue collar people died for it, almost entirely POC.

You're insane if you think about this or remember it though.

Animal-Mother has issued a correction as of 16:10 on Aug 24, 2023

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

Sucks, the owners of the place I was at had a philosophy of "don't put something on a plate that you wouldn't want served to you" and that included whatever bacterial or viral nonsense you had coming out of your orifices

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

Platystemon posted:

the worst the forums has to offer,

constantly being handed rope by which they use to strangle the rest of the forums

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Hey man, why'd you edit out your advice to this guy

Osv18 posted:

so, I'm being pathologized and ostracized from everyone in my life right now because of my respirator game.

one of the counsellors I'm being forced to see is telling me that I have confirmation biased myself into a corner. his sole counter-argument was 'if your position is true, why are we not seeing increases in long term care patients in Canada?'

I've looked for stats on this and haven't found much. any goon input?

StratGoatCom
Aug 6, 2019

Our security is guaranteed by being able to melt the eyeballs of any other forum's denizens at 15 minutes notice

Saw someone else had changed the filters on their cubes this morning.

Pingui
Jun 4, 2006

WTF?
Cool article, written by a knowledgeable writer on BA.2.86. I found it thought-provoking and insightful. Subsequently it is here in full with all the bells and whistles, with highlights (by me) of some of the BA.2.86 stuff has not had much - if any - exposure.
"Covid-19: The Shapeshifting Protean Virus"

https://www.forbes.com/sites/williamhaseltine/2023/08/24/covid-19-the-shapeshifting-protean-virus/ posted:

Hercules Fighting the Sons of ProteusMET MUSEUM

SARS-CoV-2 is a protean virus. It seems designed to reinfect a previously infected host, changing its outer coat as well as some of its properties. The virus is also adapting to a number of new environments, including human and other animals. As a result, we must apprehend the protean nature of the changes it undergoes and adapt our protective strategies, including vaccines, to this reality. This is not the first time humanity has encountered a virus that constantly changes, as we are all familiar with influenza.

The current SARS-CoV-2 concern is a new variant, BA.2.86, that appeared first in Israel, then Denmark, and most recently the United States. We all remember Omicron and how it swept the world that had already experienced several waves of Covid cases. There were so many changes in the outer spike protein of Omicron that previous infections did little to protect from new infections. How much previous infection protects from disease still remains in question.

FIGURE 1: Omicron spike in Covid cases in the United States in early 2022.NEW YORK TIMES

The strain that led the Omicron spike in early 2022 was BA.2, which contained 54 amino acid mutations from the original Wuhan virus. The cause for concern with BA.2.86 is that it contains 41 amino acid mutations on top of the BA.2 mutations, totaling 95 mutations from the Wuhan virus. The concern is that BA.2.86 may or may not be the latest Omicron threat. Rather than wait to see if the virus spread globally, here I analyze this virus to summarize what it is and what is known about its properties.

BA.2.86 is likely a common descendant of one of the original Omicron variants, BA.2, and a more recent variant, XBB. In the spike protein of BA.2.86, we see 60 amino acid mutations, including substitutions and deletions. For context, the Alpha variant, which fueled the second-largest surge of cases in the United States behind the initial Omicron surge, contained just ten spike amino acid mutations.

We have seen many of the spike mutations in previous variants of concern, namely K417N, N440K, S477N, N501Y, and so on. However, over a dozen mutations are unique or rare in terms of previous variants. The figures below demonstrate the significant departure from the dominant XBB.1.5 variant, as well as a comparison to BA.2 and EG.5.1.

FIGURE 2: Spike mutational profile of newly designated BA.2.86 as compared to XBB.1.5X - @RAJLABN

FIGURE 3: Spike comparison between BA.2.86 and BA.2, XBB.1.5, and EG.5.1.OUTBREAK.INFO

Notably, the updated Covid vaccine set to be released this fall is designed to protect against the XBB.1.5 variant, but not BA.2.86. The hope is that the vaccine will protect against BA.2.86 should it widely circulate, but it would be unsurprising if the variant evaded booster protection, given the degree to which BA.2.86 is mutated in the spike is extreme.

Because changes in antigenicity are mostly, but not entirely related to the spike protein, I will first speak to spike mutations in greater detail. Each of the more than two dozen mutations found in BA.2.86, but not the dominant XBB.1.5, may give the new variant a distinct advantage, but I will discuss a few I find most notable.

The K356T mutation has been previously described as a mutation that could provide a significant immune evasion advantage to SARS-CoV-2. The mutation adds an N-glycosylation site to the receptor-binding domain at N354, which allows for more efficient antibody blockage. Further, patients treated with sotrovimab were found to have developed this mutation in their Omicron infections in response, again speaking to the immune evasion and resistance of K356T.

The numerous N-terminal domain mutations could prompt several similar N-glycosylation sites and are worth further investigation.

In the receptor-binding domain, there are several more mutations, all of which could work to improve ACE2 binding affinity or reduce antibody binding efficiency.

The P1143L mutation has been shown to potentially increase viral entry efficiency, which may be attributable to the mutated amino acid’s increased stability to the spike protein structure.

I want to draw your attention to mutations outside the spike region, which may be important for the pathogenicity and the spread of the virus. Throughout the genome, there are a wide variety of mutations in the Orf1ab replication-transcription complex (NSP1-16), some in the structural proteins (E, M, and N), and a few in the accessory proteins (Orf3a-8). The reason we bring attention to these is that mutations in some of these proteins, particularly the N protein, can make a significant difference in the replication of the virus.

Below is the entire catalog of mutations found throughout the virus.

FIGURE 4: BA.2.86 nonspike mutations. Those in red are additional mutations found in the Israeli and American samples, and those in blue are additional mutations found in the Danish and English samples, as detailed in figure 2. ACCESS HEALTH INTERNATIONAL

One significant protein of note that is heavily mutated in BA.2.86 is the NSP3 protein. There are as many as seven mutations in NSP3, namely T24I, V238L, G489S, N1708S, A1892T, and in some instances, K1155R and T1269I. NSP3 is one of the most active proteins in the virus, playing roles in viral RNA binding, polyprotein processing, and other functions. While the exact function of these mutations is unknown, they are likely to increase the efficiency of many of these mechanisms, creating a more functional and pathogenetic virus.

Notably, branching is already occurring in the seven cases of BA.2.86. When looking at just the spike mutations, one may assume they are the same virus, but upon further inspection, we find that two of the cases—the Israeli and one of the Americans—contain three mutations not found in the others, namely N G243S, Orf8 T87I, and S I670V.

Four more cases—three from Denmark and one from England—have a difference of their own: NSP3 K1155R. The English case has an additional NSP3 T1269I mutation. The most recently detected case—an American traveling from Japan—contains none of these five listed mutations, creating its own branch.

FIGURE 5: Differing lineages with the BA.2.86 framework.X - @CORNELIUSROEMER

One final note on mutations I must make is synonymous mutations, or those that do not result in an amino acid change. There are likely dozens of synonymous mutations littered throughout the BA.2.86 genomes. However, collecting data on these mutations is much more complex than amino acid mutations.

For instance, the termini of the virus, known as the five prime and three prime ends, often contain these synonymous mutations, as amino acid coding does not begin until NSP1 of the Orf1a complex. One of these synonymous mutations is C241T. Along with NSP12 P323L and S D614G, C241T was part of the first set of mutations to the original Wuhan wild type and continues to feature in every known variant of SARS-CoV-2.

While synonymous mutations do not impact the amino acid sequence of the virus, it does affect the tertiary structure of the virus’s RNA, which studies suggest can play a role in the adaptation of the virus to the human host environment.

For instance, a recent study on the SARS-CoV-2 N protein shows that the N-terminal domain of N recognizes and binds RNA sequences in the five prime untranslated region of the virus. The N protein is involved in RNA transcription and genome packaging into virus particles, a crucial role in virus transmission. Thus, altering the structures of the five prime end could impact the function and efficiency of N, impacting the overall viral function of SARS-CoV-2.

On whether BA.2.86 will cause a new wave of Covid cases akin to Alpha or Omicron in years past, I cannot say. With so few cases of BA.2.86 to date and so little data on its pathogenicity, many questions remain.

First and foremost, is this virus transmissible and disease-causing? We know that most of the patients were not traveling to a significant degree, but whether these patients are immunosuppressed, elderly, undergoing chemotherapy, or a similar treatment, we do not yet know. These populations are much more likely to develop severe disease than the average healthy adult, and the release of such information could be helpful in our health policymaking regarding BA.2.86.

Another pressing issue is that of the vaccine. Were the BA.2.86 variant to take hold and create a new wave of cases, would the latest vaccines be protective? Such data is, as of yet, unavailable. While these early detections of BA.2.86 are a preliminary shot across the bow, it remains to be seen how they will develop in the coming weeks and months.

To read more of my work, please visit https://www.williamhaseltine.com

William A. Haseltine
I am a scientist, businessman, author, and philanthropist. For nearly two decades, I was a professor at Harvard Medical School and Harvard School of Public Health where I founded two academic research departments, the Division of Biochemical Pharmacology and the Division of Human Retrovirology. I am perhaps most well known for my work on cancer, HIV/AIDS, genomics and, today, on COVID-19. My autobiography, My Lifelong Fight Against Disease, publishes this October. I am chair and president of ACCESS Health International, a nonprofit organization I founded that fosters innovative solutions to the greatest health challenges of our day. Each of my articles at Forbes.com will focus on a specific healthcare challenge and offer best practices and innovative solutions to overcome those challenges for the benefit of all.

Pingui has issued a correction as of 16:42 on Aug 24, 2023

WrasslorMonkey
Mar 5, 2012

Vaxxed?

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
I know you know how to do this.
Get up.

amazing

Real Mean Queen
Jun 2, 2004

Zesty.

lol sure, why not

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

It caused his heart to literally explode almost as if it was a continuous rod anti-aircraft warhead

Phlag
Nov 2, 2000

We make a special trip just for you, same low price.

It's a fake article, if that's not clear.

Pingui
Jun 4, 2006

WTF?

Lib and let die posted:

Sucks, the owners of the place I was at had a philosophy of "don't put something on a plate that you wouldn't want served to you" and that included whatever bacterial or viral nonsense you had coming out of your orifices

"Sure thing boss!" *gently wipes piss soaked hands on pants just like at home*

Pingui
Jun 4, 2006

WTF?
I think entirely hinging the ability to curb a little bit of a surge in COVID, on the individual risk assessment of the private sector, might be a poor approach. Not a public health economist though :shrug:

"Mask mandates reemerge amid upturn in COVID-19 cases"

https://thehill.com/policy/healthcare/4167625-mask-mandates-reemerge-amid-upturn-in-covid-19-cases/ posted:

The recent upturn in COVID-19 cases in some regions has spurred a handful of entities around the country to reinstate mask mandates, reigniting the debate over what place masking requirements have in an era of living with the coronavirus.
(..)
According to Marcus Plescia, chief medical officer for the Association of State and Territorial Health Officials (ASTHO), the necessity of mask mandates will come down to a case-by-case basis, adding that publicly available data should inform these decisions.

“I think the new approach is we want to make that information available to the public and give people some warning that there may be some increases in disease activity,” Plescia said. “And then people decide for themselves sort of how they want to react and what kind of precautions they want to take.”
(..)
As the pandemic went on and the U.S. gathered more tools (:confuoot:) for treating and limiting the spread of COVID-19, health experts advised that people use mitigation methods based on their own individual risk assessments.

Schools and businesses will similarly have differing levels of risk they’re willing to tolerate, with the onus of mask mandates shifting from the public to the private sector, Plescia said.
(..)
Heading into the respiratory viral season, however, Plescia noted that COVID-19 should not be the sole factor informing viral mitigation measures.

“We’re hoping we won’t see a situation where things are as dire as they were a couple of years ago,” Plescia said.

“When you take flu and RSV and, you know, if we had a little bit of a surge in COVID … the biggest concern right now is hospitals becoming overwhelmed. And we had a little bit of that last year that is very much in everybody’s minds and concerns right now.”

lmao, the big Omicron wave was last year.

[PESTILENCE] a little bit of a surge in COVID

Pingui
Jun 4, 2006

WTF?

Weka posted:

(..)

Haven't seen it, but going by the synopsis I off hand think that is a bit weird of you.

"A black Southern woman struggles to find her identity after suffering abuse from her father and others over four decades."

tristeham
Jul 31, 2022

Pingui posted:

Haven't seen it, but going by the synopsis I off hand think that is a bit weird of you.

"A black Southern woman struggles to find her identity after suffering abuse from her father and others over four decades."

:goofy:

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

quote:

Yeah?

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

I think he made a beautiful post and did a great job and he is good.
someone finally noticed that my medical accommodation for WFH expired two months ago

:saddowns:

biceps crimes
Apr 12, 2008

Weka posted:

I can't pray for you if I don't talk to my boss (God) about the forums.

Schmeichy
Apr 22, 2007

2spooky4u

Smellrose

Chad Sexington posted:

someone finally noticed that my medical accommodation for WFH expired two months ago

:saddowns:

Tell them snitches get stitches

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

Schmeichy posted:

Tell them snitches get stitches

I don't know who ratted, but I got an email from HR "confirming" my hybrid modality.

to which I replied: "whaaaaaaaaaaat? I had no ideaaaaaaaaa"

deadwing
Mar 5, 2007

https://twitter.com/alexselby1770/status/1694732375077339501

(thread)
hard to tell for sure based on the current State of monitoring but BA.2.86 does not appear to have a major growth advantage

Delta-Wye
Sep 29, 2005

Chad Sexington posted:

I don't know who ratted, but I got an email from HR "confirming" my hybrid modality.

are you useful? email them back and tell them 'no', hiring your replacement is way more of a pain than fixing the accommodation

Delta-Wye
Sep 29, 2005
if you've got that tom smykowski vibe tho, you better practice sharing that smile :gbsmith:

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

Delta-Wye posted:

are you useful? email them back and tell them 'no', hiring your replacement is way more of a pain than fixing the accommodation

I am useful, but we have a budget shortfall and they are already pretty clearly sharpening the axe to cut off peoples' heads. I was thinking of showing my (masked) face some anyway just to make sure I wasn't on The List.

The hunt for a full remote role begins anew.

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

quote:

According to Marcus Plescia, chief medical officer for the Association of State and Territorial Health Officials (ASTHO), the necessity of mask mandates will come down to a case-by-case basis, adding that publicly available data should inform these decisions.

Nice publicly available data you've got there. Be a shame if someone were to... stop publishing it.

StratGoatCom
Aug 6, 2019

Our security is guaranteed by being able to melt the eyeballs of any other forum's denizens at 15 minutes notice

deadwing posted:

https://twitter.com/alexselby1770/status/1694732375077339501

(thread)
hard to tell for sure based on the current State of monitoring but BA.2.86 does not appear to have a major growth advantage

With the quality of data, I'm not sure that means that much?

Rescue Toaster
Mar 13, 2003

Chad Sexington posted:

Yeah even though my immediate supervisors are fine with it I got asked to go through HR / Accommodation process because of some VP of gently caress-all's push to get people back in the office. So I'm assuming that's their way of saying No but not having to do it themselves and/or covering their rear end.

There's literally nowhere in the building with anything resembling decent ventilation, so it'd mean wearing a respirator all day and going out to my car even to drink water.

I guess if anyone has actually had luck getting approval for remote work through a corporate HR process I'd be happy to hear any advice. (Yes I'm actually immunocompromised. I should be able to get documentation from my Doc, though I'm not sure I can get them to explicitly say 'Let him work remotely.')

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

I'm less worried about BA.2.86 as a unique variant and more about this, quoting Topol:

quote:

The optimist in me says we won’t see the Omicron-like spread, “catching fire” if you will, in the weeks ahead. The pessimist in me says we might, and that the likelihood of seeing that is because BA.2.86 is still evolving, picking up new mutations, just as BA.1 evolved (to BA.2, BA.5, and XBBs). The BA.2.86 sequences we’ve seen are not all the same, as shown in this phylogenetic graph by Cornelis Roemer, from the first sequences.

So either BA.2.86 has a lag time to get to critical mass to drive exponential growth or it may evolve further with more transmission power. Only time (and sequencing) will tell us if either of these scenarios will be actualized.

Even if BA.2.86 doesn’t pose a real threat by virtue of low transmission, or its further evolution proves to be relatively benign, the fact that the inexorable evolution of the virus continues—to find new hosts and repeat hosts—cannot be ignored. If this isn’t “the one” it ought to signify that “the one” is still yet to come. If it never shows up, that’s great. But you sure don’t want to bet on that. All of us wish this was behind us, but it’s not. Facing that fact the this virus, in one version or another, will be with for many years to come, rather than denialism and complacency, is critical.

The problem isn't that every deeply cryptic variant is automatically a disaster, it's that the virus is just resetting the game on an already shaky level of immunity and then (given how fast it spreads and mutates at scale), those cryptics can and will find transmissibility mutations that amp them up. There's always going to be another Omicron-level event waiting in the wings; whether that's this one, or this one's descendants, or another cryptic lineage that shows up tomorrow is kind of irrelevant in the grand scheme. And that sucks.

StratGoatCom
Aug 6, 2019

I think we had a hope spot like this for Omicron? I can't recall.

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

StratGoatCom posted:

I think we had a hope spot like this for Omicron? I can't recall.

Omicron was really obviously a massive disaster from the word go just based on the number of sequences and s-gene target failures alone, and that was like <10 days from when people started paying attention to it. But also there were a lot of people yelling extremely loudly at the time that it was nbd.

e: like remember this graph?

From emergence to majority of cases in Gauteng was like, two weeks.

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

now that no one is testing and no one is sequencing we're all finally safe from cryptic lineage omicron events, we'll just mysteriously have the summer flu every so often until we're rendered bedbound, mentally incapable, or our hearts explode

Delta-Wye
Sep 29, 2005

hailthefish posted:

now that no one is testing and no one is sequencing we're all finally safe from cryptic lineage omicron events, we'll just mysteriously have the summer flu every so often until we're rendered bedbound, mentally incapable, or our hearts explode

thats a bummer of a thought. i think im going to go down to the local applebees for some cross class encounters (:biglips:) to cheer me up. later cavers

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

Although we're no longer sufficiently testing or sequencing to have a great pre-emptive understanding of the growth rate and danger posed by emerging variants, we do still have the most empirically validated and accurate indicator of their risk which is when Monica Gandhi feels compelled to start doing interviews and calling the variant mild.

She's like the groundhog seeing her own shadow but for mass death

StratGoatCom
Aug 6, 2019

Mind you, I think the October surprise for Biden will be birb flu still.

SardonicTyrant
Feb 26, 2016

BTICH IM A NEWT
熱くなれ夢みた明日を
必ずいつかつかまえる
走り出せ振り向くことなく
&

What's the reason?

Akaiku
May 17, 2013

Rescue Toaster posted:

I guess if anyone has actually had luck getting approval for remote work through a corporate HR process I'd be happy to hear any advice. (Yes I'm actually immunocompromised. I should be able to get documentation from my Doc, though I'm not sure I can get them to explicitly say 'Let him work remotely.')

least when I did it, it basically ONLY requires the doctor to say "let them work remotely" since like, the WHY is HIPPA. In my case it was anxiety and it causing a measurable drop in my heath numbers, but really it's not your company's place to decide if you are sick, only if the accommodation can be made.

Also, and this is important, never ever EVER let your company talk directly to your doctor.

Real Mean Queen
Jun 2, 2004

Zesty.

SardonicTyrant posted:

What's the reason?

Wanted to

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Notorious R.I.M.
Jan 27, 2004

up to my ass in alligators

SardonicTyrant posted: