Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:

rofl. this is very funny and sad

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Radia
Jul 14, 2021

And someday, together.. We'll shine.

Putty posted:

I've been in voice chats with both Turtlicious and Boba Pearl and checking back I'm just now realizing they sound exactly the same. This is a very very weird feeling.

jfc

Solefald
Jun 9, 2010

sleepy~capy

Kirk Vikernes posted:

Hahahaha....how does this always happen?

Some plague rats, Boba Pearl...who's next?

It's you :ssh:

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

To be real with all of you, I am....aghast. Boba, I went out on a limb by allowing you to return to posting on this site, previously posting as permabanned user Turtlicious, and I just.....don't know what to say. You posted about missing SPR the morning you did this. Did you not remember how this hurt people? Do you not see how concerned and worried this makes people in this community?

Being betrayed by a friend loving sucks, whether it's online or off. I'm sorry it happened to you.

The changes you're making seem like the best compromise for a poo poo situation.

Fluffdaddy posted:

This is what I meant by being hard to find the words and not ghosting.

I have been mad about this for days but I also knew it was a Jeff thing to comment on. Please know we take things like this extremely seriously.

I figured something was afoot from your previous post but couldn't guess it was this. Mostly because this is too loving dumb to be real. Again.

Thank you, the admin crew, and Jeff, for the work you've put into this.

Lady Radia posted:

I hope it isn’t cringe to say this is pretty emotionally distressing.

I've no relationship to the poster involved and this and it's upsetting. Like I said to Jeff, I'm sorry for any of you who are closer in to this.

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

Psycho Landlord posted:

Ignoring the rest of this this is pretty much exactly what anybody with a brain was asking for so yeah good ideas.

this yeah. i dont think anybody wanted unpaid forum janitors to have payment data, just logging to see what logged in user used the feature for what avatar

also lol lmao it has happened again i guess this time bp was smart enough to pay 10 bux at least. it really doesnt look good on you jeff for just letting permabanned users in on a whim, especially wannabe terrorists lmao.

Space Kablooey fucked around with this message at 22:59 on Aug 24, 2023

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

as i understand it sa used to do this like 20 years ago and removed it because it was too much work and pissed the admins off

it didn't happen twice though
turtlicious had a flawless evil plan
she saw how spr got caught for it and took extra steps to specifically avoid that self-buy pitfall by using a vpn plus 10bux anonymous purchases
she got caught because she hosed up and accidentally posted on her main through the vpn

when the THIRD insane self doxxing goon comes along they will learn from her mistake and maintain proper vpn hygiene by only doxxing themselves through a prepaid burner phone. then jeff will contact the credit card processor and nuke them through that

registering a shell corporation so I can give myself abusive avatars to own my posting enemies

Red Metal
Oct 23, 2012

Let me tell you about Homestuck

Fun Shoe

absolutely anything
Dec 28, 2006

~As for dreams, she has enough and more to spare~
just realized bugs bunny and that opera singer looked weirdly similar. and ive never seen them in the same place at the same time. strange

Fucker
Jan 4, 2013

lmfao

Putty posted:

I've been in voice chats with both Turtlicious and Boba Pearl and checking back I'm just now realizing they sound exactly the same. This is a very very weird feeling.

lmfao

mycophobia
May 7, 2008

absolutely anything posted:

just realized bugs bunny and that opera singer looked weirdly similar. and ive never seen them in the same place at the same time. strange

lol

pog boyfriend
Jul 2, 2011

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
Thank you Jeff for the changes to the Av buying process.

I'm glad that a change has been made.

Putty posted:

This is the kind of insane post that will come up as People's Exhibit C in 2 years when we find out BobaLicious's AI Ghost was uploaded to the Putty account as a double-backup.

It's Time To Have A Talk About the SAGAS Posters self-Radicalizing and Becoming Sagas Themselves :(

DickParasite
Dec 2, 2004

Slippery Tilde

:lmao:

Solefald
Jun 9, 2010

sleepy~capy

FilthyImp posted:

It's Time To Have A Talk About the SAGAS Posters self-Radicalizing and Becoming Sagas Themselves :(

lol

pro starcraft loser
Jan 23, 2006

Stand back, this could get messy.

"I want attention on the forums!"

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

lmfao

Putty
Mar 21, 2013

HOOKED ON THE BROTHERS

Poppers
Jan 21, 2023

Help, help, I’ve been doxxed! *winks knowingly, audience laughs* But seriously folks, if you can find it in your hearts, please donate all the money you can to my Patreon. Just five dollars per month will be used to keep vulnerable posters such as myself safe. And if you pledge at ten dollars a month, you get epic behind the scenes access to my hit webcomic Asexual High School. So give now.

I got the tude now
Jul 22, 2007

Nanomashoes
Aug 18, 2012

Have we considered that it wasn't Boba Original that did the doxxing, but one of her other personalities, and therefore she cant be blamed for it? Just like when she made a post in the webcomic thread about how she falsely accused a friend of pedophilia and somehow ate no punishment:

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?noseen=0&threadid=3794989&pagenumber=1971&perpage=40#post533111727

Sleng Teng
May 3, 2009

EasilyConfused
Nov 21, 2009

one strong toad

I started writing this post about avatars before all this happened but it stands now:

First and foremost - I will shut down the website before I turn off avatar purchases entirely. They've been part of this site for twenty years and are here to stay, forever. If you feel this violates the Geneva convention or whatever other wild exaggeration, please go post on some other website. We have deputized more than 200 mods and IKs to blank offensive avatars and they are downright quick about it.

I am willing to make the store change such that people need to log in to buy avatars, and I (and I alone) can see who purchased one. If someone doxxes someone in their avatar, I want to permaban them. But this is not going to be used for avatars that are simply insulting - it’s serious real-life poo poo only. I’m not going to even consider looking one of these up unless it would be an instant-permaban, by my discretion alone. I respect the privacy of the passive-aggressive avatar-buying box and I’m not going to discourage people from buying them by overzealously tattling on them.

If you guys want this feature to work, I must insist - do not create work for the admins by demanding they reveal an avatar buyer over insults. I am not going to allow the website volunteers to waste their time fielding an endless series of demands to know who bought a given avatar. If people can’t help themselves but work themselves into frenzies demanding to know who bought a given avatar, I will revert the change and we’ll go back to the old way. Don’t say you weren’t warned.

Overall, here’s where this stands:
  • Avatar purchases will not be turned off, ever.
  • I will require users to log in to buy avatars.
  • I alone will have access to that information and will use it only in the case of truly heinous avatars that I would instantly permaban someone for, and only when requested by the avatar receiver.
  • If I feel demands for revealing these are being abused in any way, I will undo this change and they will go back to being anonymous.

Good

Well.....I suspect the first part of this is not true. The presence of someone writing credible death threats on the site in any form is serious as hell. I've been looking into it for a few days at this point, including contacting the payment processor and digging through the database, and got as much information as I could - this was doxxing combined with a death threat and this is easily warranted. I wanted to see if the person that did this could be found despite our store's limitations, and, if they are posting on this site, permaban them, and provide information to Boba Pearl to contact the police, if she chose to. Unfortunately, I am forced to conclude that Boba Pearl purchased these avatars for herself. The core of it is that she recently posted from one of the IPs that I have associated with one of the two avatar purchases, in a way that does not line up at all with the stories she told me. There are a bunch of details beyond that, but I don't really want to lay them all out here. It's bad and manipulative. Boba Pearl is someone I consider a friend, and it hurts to be lied to and misled in this way. I just really can't deal with writing up a big long post about the private conversations I had with her leading up to this conclusion, but I also can't leave it unaddressed.

To be real with all of you, I am....aghast. Boba, I went out on a limb by allowing you to return to posting on this site, previously posting as permabanned user Turtlicious, and I just.....don't know what to say. You posted about missing SPR the morning you did this. Did you not remember how this hurt people? Do you not see how concerned and worried this makes people in this community?

Bad

sweet thursday posted:

Thank you for punishing Boba's doxxer

Funny

Cocaine Mitch posted:

Why on earth did you let someone come back who threatened to commit a terrorist attack with pipe bombs and bragged about it?

Why did you feel this was a valuable poster who should be allowed here?

Irony Be My Shield posted:

Why would you let the world's most pathetic failed domestic terrorist back on the website? Why are they still not permabanned now that they've also engaged in an utterly deranged act of slander against their posting enemies?

Really loving good questions

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Nanomashoes posted:

Have we considered that it wasn't Boba Original that did the doxxing, but one of her other personalities, and therefore she cant be blamed for it? Just like when she made a post in the webcomic thread about how she falsely accused a friend of pedophilia and somehow ate no punishment:

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?noseen=0&threadid=3794989&pagenumber=1971&perpage=40#post533111727

lol what on earth

ol yeller
Feb 20, 2015
FatGuy93: Ughhh I'm so fat lol. I built a bomb in my garage. (USER WAS BANNED FOR THIS POST)
ThinGuy93: I'm very thin actually lol.
Me: You just missed the Fat Guy 93 drama. Welcome also.

johnny park
Sep 15, 2009

ol yeller posted:

FatGuy93: Ughhh I'm so fat lol. I built a bomb in my garage. (USER WAS BANNED FOR THIS POST)

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

Ultra Carp

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord
Boba Pearl always gave off some weird attention-grabbing energy and I've never liked them.

I would have never guessed they were Turtilicious, though.

I'm beginning to think allowing some permabanned goons back under a different name if they demonstrate a real change in attitude might not be the best policy going forward.

Odddzy
Oct 10, 2007
Once shot a man in Reno.
Alright now everyone, people are going to start asking questions like "Why was the schizo allowed back after the permaban?". It's gonna look bad for Jeffrey if we don't have any answers so I'm turning to you experts to work on this, what's the spin?

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

ol yeller posted:

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011

ol yeller posted:

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

ol yeller posted:

Grip it and rip it
Apr 28, 2020
lol oh wow what a huge surprise

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
Uh, yeah, hopping on the “what in fuckin tarnation“ :bandwagon:

Panic! At The Tesco
Aug 19, 2005

FART

Nanomashoes posted:

lol my expensive therapist told me to make this big post about me on the somethingawful.com forums

tristeham
Jul 31, 2022

ol yeller posted:

lol

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

ol yeller posted:

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

FruitNYogurtParfait posted:

Is that why you tried to blow up some cows

beats for junkies posted:

I read this as FruitNYogurtParfait saying that Boba Pearl is a Turtlicious rereg, but then they didn't provide any more information, so everyone just started talkin' 'bout Turt instead. If I'm wrong, then I blame not enough coffee yet. If I'm right, you should have proof if you're gonna drop something like that into the Messy Bitches Who Love Drama thread.

Or it could just be a troll and I got played.

Harold Fjord fucked around with this message at 23:15 on Aug 24, 2023

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
Consistently the best forum on the site

Amp
Sep 10, 2010

:11tea::bubblewoop::agesilaus::megaman::yoshi::squawk::supaburn::iit::spooky::axe::honked::shroom::smugdog::sg::pkmnwhy::parrot::screamy::tubular::corsair::sanix::yeeclaw::hayter::flip::redflag:

ol yeller posted:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009