Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

This is all because Rime wouldn’t go with Sasquatch. Smdh

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat

ol yeller posted:

FatGuy93: Ughhh I'm so fat lol. I built a bomb in my garage. (USER WAS BANNED FOR THIS POST)
ThinGuy93: I'm very thin actually lol.
Me: You just missed the Fat Guy 93 drama. Welcome also.

death cob for cutie
Dec 30, 2006

dwarves won't delve no more
too much splatting down on Zot:4

fool of sound posted:

Maybe our next drama obsessed attention seeking weirdo can go higher tech and use an AI voice bot to make threatening telephone calls to themselves.

discord gangstalking bot posse powered by chatgpt

Wiggly Wayne DDS posted:

for anyone vaguely doubting the Boba Pearl and Turtlicious link i independently verified it, then spoke to Boba Pearl who isn't hiding behind that anymore. currently they have the goal posts at always using a vpn to post, except they've explicitly not done that before and really having a pipe bomb poster re-reg is more than enough info

am I the only one who can't figure out where this guy is going

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011

Wiggly Wayne DDS posted:

for anyone vaguely doubting the Boba Pearl and Turtlicious link i independently verified it, then spoke to Boba Pearl who isn't hiding behind that anymore. currently they have the goal posts at always using a vpn to post, except they've explicitly not done that before and really having a pipe bomb poster re-reg is more than enough info

thank you xbox loving sucks megathread guy.

Buschmaki
Dec 26, 2012

‿︵‿︵‿︵‿Lean Addict︵‿︵‿︵‿
O_o

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING

death cob for cutie posted:

I think it's "I talked to the double-perma'd person and they a) admitted it and b) vowed to keep trying to come back like all the most stable perma'd individuals do"

absolutely anything
Dec 28, 2006

~As for dreams, she has enough and more to spare~

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

I certainly didn't know that she reregged immediately. (I was a simple website coder and.....thinking about other things on 12/26/19) She got the same treatment as any other permabanned person - without any reason to look it up, she went under the radar. Given that I don't believe she actually built pipe bombs to blow things up with, when she did eventually admit to me she had reregged after clearly seeming to be in a much better place, I didn't just reflexively ban her.

I guess I was insufficiently jaded in the realities of how someone might misuse this site. I certainly wanted to believe that people who have mental health crises, even ones that are disastrous to their posting careers, can work on themselves and get themselves to a place where they can post again in the medium term. I am....no longer so optimistic after a few years of this and frankly that sucks. Clearly I made a bad call here, this mess was avoidable, but that's what it was.

thank you for actually answering

Radia
Jul 14, 2021

And someday, together.. We'll shine.

I certainly didn't know that she reregged immediately. (I was a simple website coder and.....thinking about other things on 12/26/19) She got the same treatment as any other permabanned person - without any reason to look it up, she went under the radar. Given that I don't believe she actually built pipe bombs to blow things up with, when she did eventually admit to me she had reregged after clearly seeming to be in a much better place, I didn't just reflexively ban her.

I guess I was insufficiently jaded in the realities of how someone might misuse this site. I certainly wanted to believe that people who have mental health crises, even ones that are disastrous to their posting careers, can work on themselves and get themselves to a place where they can post again in the medium term. I am....no longer so optimistic after a few years of this and frankly that sucks. Clearly I made a bad call here, this mess was avoidable, but that's what it was.

i dont know. did having another mental health episode indicate it was a bad call, assuming that was what this was?

i dunno. i'd like to stay on the optimistic side of that, too. but bleh

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

fool of sound posted:

Maybe our next drama obsessed attention seeking weirdo can go higher tech and use an AI voice bot to make threatening telephone calls to themselves.

https://vocaroo.com/1dgFWg7TcRhw

pog boyfriend
Jul 2, 2011

ilmucche posted:

Alright, Jeff. We all know how much you value boxing day.

lolling at the concept that jeff sees boxing day as an important holiday and is confused nobody else does because of some bizarre tradition in the of yospos family

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

:lol: well done.

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

johnny park
Sep 15, 2009

knfao

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

lmao

really queer Christmas
Apr 22, 2014

lmao

Buschmaki
Dec 26, 2012

‿︵‿︵‿︵‿Lean Addict︵‿︵‿︵‿

I started writing this post about avatars before all this happened but it stands now:

First and foremost - I will shut down the website before I turn off avatar purchases entirely. They've been part of this site for twenty years and are here to stay, forever. If you feel this violates the Geneva convention or whatever other wild exaggeration, please go post on some other website. We have deputized more than 200 mods and IKs to blank offensive avatars and they are downright quick about it.

I am willing to make the store change such that people need to log in to buy avatars, and I (and I alone) can see who purchased one. If someone doxxes someone in their avatar, I want to permaban them. But this is not going to be used for avatars that are simply insulting - it’s serious real-life poo poo only. I’m not going to even consider looking one of these up unless it would be an instant-permaban, by my discretion alone. I respect the privacy of the passive-aggressive avatar-buying box and I’m not going to discourage people from buying them by overzealously tattling on them.

If you guys want this feature to work, I must insist - do not create work for the admins by demanding they reveal an avatar buyer over insults. I am not going to allow the website volunteers to waste their time fielding an endless series of demands to know who bought a given avatar. If people can’t help themselves but work themselves into frenzies demanding to know who bought a given avatar, I will revert the change and we’ll go back to the old way. Don’t say you weren’t warned.

Overall, here’s where this stands:
  • Avatar purchases will not be turned off, ever.
  • I will require users to log in to buy avatars.
  • I alone will have access to that information and will use it only in the case of truly heinous avatars that I would instantly permaban someone for, and only when requested by the avatar receiver.
  • If I feel demands for revealing these are being abused in any way, I will undo this change and they will go back to being anonymous.

I like this idea Jeff, all's well that ends well

Casual Male XL Fan
May 26, 2008

ol yeller posted:

FatGuy93: Ughhh I'm so fat lol. I built a bomb in my garage. (USER WAS BANNED FOR THIS POST)

lmfao

biceps crimes
Apr 12, 2008

ol yeller posted:

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

Alright, I have to ask. Did you know Boba Pearl and Turtlicious were the same person when she made these posts two days ago about how dangerous the covid thread is and cited her own perma-banned alt making terror threats as evidence of how people get radicalized?

Boba Pearl posted:

The only thing I wouldn't super mock, is the idea that these threads radicalize people, it's generally exposure to that thinking without consequence that allows them to get like that. I would like to remind people, though I loathe being the one to do it, that an actual poster, made real world pipe bombs to commit real world terrorism. Yes they were mentally ill, yes they were perma'd 6 months later, and yeah someone did call the cops, but there was a real world consequence due to exposure of radicalized thinking.

e: Posting isn't JUST a game anymore, it's not 15 years ago. The things you say and do effect people, you can come to real world harm, and that reality needs to be internalized.

Boba Pearl posted:

There were murmurs that CO2 was starting to drop, and then someone started popping off about how the real problem was methane from Industrial farming, and that even if we fixed carbon emmissions, methane was much more powerful of a greenhouse warming effect, and that agriculture was going to strangle the planet. Turtlicious started posting there because they were sharing good news from r/climateactionplan, and was convinced by the thread that the world was ending, and nothing would save it.

Literally, in the new thread, their first post was talking about how their therapist begged them to stop posting there.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3884239&userid=189869

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat

lmfao

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

thank you jeffrey for doing all that work to keep the forums safe, bring us this incredible content, and adamantly refusing to turn off avatar purchases for others so it can keep happening. tgis is the greatest website on the internet. :cheers:

an iksar marauder
May 6, 2022

An iksar marauder glowers at you dubiously -- looks like quite a gamble.
I love this website

rodbeard
Jul 21, 2005

The Oldest Man posted:

Alright, I have to ask. Did you know Boba Pearl and Turtlicious were the same person when she made these posts two days ago about how dangerous the covid thread is and cited her own perma-banned alt making terror threats as evidence of how people get radicalized?

I thought Boba being Turt was an open secret

tristeham
Jul 31, 2022

lol

That Little Demon
Dec 3, 2020
This is the dumbest loving website and I feel stupid as hell believing this poo poo yet again

winvirus
Jan 23, 2009

You only delay the inevitable. All of this island will soon belong to me.

gone girl? more like goon girl

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
wait, was Boba being a Turtlicious rereg actually a forums secret? I thought that was an open secret and just had no idea Turt was the pipe bomber

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

wait, was Boba being a Turtlicious rereg actually a forums secret? I thought that was an open secret and just had no idea Turt was the pipe bomber

I had no drat clue, I gather it was known in... parts of the cyoa discord and community? Or something?

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

What are you gonna do, dance with me?

I legitimately had no clue boba was turt and in fact called someone a dick for insinuating it because of turt's horrific posting

turt

Super Librarian
Jan 4, 2005

lmao

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

It's all true. My information network [a flock of semi-feral pigeons whose coop I sleep in on the rooftop of a dilapidated big box store] confirmed it for me.

Farg
Nov 19, 2013
well it sounds like in various places and several offsites boba was very "wink wink nudge nudge" about it, such that some people knew

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

ol yeller posted:

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat
Off sites are of the devil.

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

death cob for cutie posted:

They're saying they talked to Boba who admitted to being turt, and it seems she's currently saying she uses vpns all the time (presumably as a defense for why the IPs were the same)

That's how it reads to me at least

Poppers
Jan 21, 2023

Lmfao goldmine

Joey McChrist
Aug 8, 2005

Turt!

studio mujahideen
May 3, 2005

Nanomashoes posted:

Have we considered that it wasn't Boba Original that did the doxxing, but one of her other personalities, and therefore she cant be blamed for it? Just like when she made a post in the webcomic thread about how she falsely accused a friend of pedophilia and somehow ate no punishment:

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?noseen=0&threadid=3794989&pagenumber=1971&perpage=40#post533111727

still reeling at this post. jesus christ

Dip Viscous
Sep 17, 2019
Am I misremembering the order of things, or haven't there been other accounts that have been banned for being Turt re-regs well after Boba started posting?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NeonPunk
Dec 21, 2020

Lmao. This is exactly why you never let any goons become the main character