Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: PoundSand)

fosborb
Dec 15, 2006

Chronic Good Poster

hailthefish posted:

10 air changes per hour in a room with me and one, maybe two other people in it, covid is literally the least of my concerns when i'm trying to scrub viscera off of surgical instruments with a soft nylon brush

*me with 4 corsi cubes in my room on max* HEH SAME

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

hailthefish posted:

10 air changes per hour in a room with me and one, maybe two other people in it, covid is literally the least of my concerns when i'm trying to scrub viscera off of surgical instruments with a soft nylon brush

the 3m Aura 1870+ is rated for surgical use but we don't stock them downstairs in decontam :shrug: risk is pretty low though so it doesn't bother me

they're the red headband ones, yeah

so do you find the surgicals more comfortable or something?

I’m not trying to call you out. I still see surgicals around every so often and it’s always confused me because it’s like taking a risk so you can be less comfortable.

Strep Vote
May 5, 2004

أنا أحب حليب الشوكولاتة

The Oldest Man posted:

Cup n95s suck rear end. There's a surgical/splash rated Aura which has red headbands. I've actually seen them in the wild around here a couple times which I assume is from surgeons raiding the supply closet at work.

Saw a dude wearing that yesterday at the grocery store.

jetz0r
May 10, 2003

Tomorrow, our nation will sit on the throne of the world. This is not a figment of the imagination, but a fact. Tomorrow we will lead the world, Allah willing.

Harold Fjord posted:

PYF IK who bought herself transphobic avs

Who also had a grudge against the COVID thread.

Why Am I So Tired
Sep 28, 2021

fosborb posted:

surgical n95s are 3M 1860s :eng101:

Until I discovered this thread and learned about elastomerics and auras, this is what we'd been using all pandemic. My wife had secretly been keeping a box of them under the bed that she'd bought in 2003 during OG SARS in anticipation of future pandemics lol.

They're really solid masks if they fit you. Super durable.

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

tuyop posted:

so do you find the surgicals more comfortable or something?

I’m not trying to call you out. I still see surgicals around every so often and it’s always confused me because it’s like taking a risk so you can be less comfortable.

it's what there is so it's what I wear because the risk is low and the hassle involved in getting n95s isn't worth it, to me. it's basically the lowest covid exposure risk i encounter during my entire day.

also wearing an aura for extended periods of time while physically active DOES loving suck, but for me the break point really is just the extremely low relative covid risk level.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

tuyop posted:

Does anyone find surgicals uncomfortable? I mean they leak out the sides and the nose bands don't seal as tightly as most (K)N95s so the only annoying thing for me (besides the "not working well" aspect) is that they're tighter to the lips than stiffer masks.

The Oldest Man posted:

It's not a common symptom but COVID can do a bunch of hosed up stuff to your mouth https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC8762203/

A friend of mine had awful mouth sores the first time they got COVID around a year ago. That link says they're rare but there are other papers specifically about oral lesions (not sure how important the "mucosal" qualifier is).

At that point I hadn't heard anything about mouth sores being a common symptom so I didn't know if that's why some people were recommending listerine or other potentially antiviral mouthwashes.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

eXXon posted:

Does anyone find surgicals uncomfortable? I mean they leak out the sides and the nose bands don't seal as tightly as most (K)N95s so the only annoying thing for me (besides the "not working well" aspect) is that they're tighter to the lips than stiffer masks.

yeah I really can’t stand when the material gets sucked into my mouth while on my bike or something. fogs up sunglasses and in the winter I had frost from the leaky nose wire stick my eyelashes together. and they don’t even prevent you from getting covid so all that was for no reason, pretty much, since i haven’t had germs to protect others from.

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

I like the drager boat style ones myself at this point. I have a big pointy face and they fit me better than auras, plus breathing resistance is lower and they have the cool continuous loop headband which was the main reason I used to wear the envo mask. Only disposable I've ever seen with one of those.

Glumwheels
Jan 25, 2003

https://twitter.com/BidenHQ

The Oldest Man posted:

don't you mean from surgeons :v:

It's not a common symptom but COVID can do a bunch of hosed up stuff to your mouth https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC8762203/

Oh great, I’ll call my dentist

Suzera
Oct 6, 2021

This spell rocks. It'll pop you right out of that funk.

eXXon posted:

It's a very mild discomfort imo. A bit less than a disposable n95 from what I remember wearing those, but a bit more than the envomask I usually wear. It's on the order of wearing a reasonably well fitting jacket in discomfort or so. I wouldn't wear a jacket nor a mask (surgical or otherwise) without a reason to.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

I have never had COVID, and I never will

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

this makes some people upset

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

I've always wondered if the reason why most people hated masking so much is because they never upgraded from cloth due to all the officially disseminated misinformation, and cloth masks are the absolute loving worst to wear for extended periods. Feels like you're being suffocated by a damp sock.

fosborb
Dec 15, 2006

Chronic Good Poster

Cup Runneth Over posted:

this makes some people upset

I'm not mad

Bastard Tetris
Apr 27, 2005

L-Shaped

Nap Ghost

Cup Runneth Over posted:

Still dodging the novel SARS-2 baby, love to have functional organs

Real Mean Queen
Jun 2, 2004

Zesty.

eXXon posted:

Definitely. Toward the beginning of things when I was in that awkward pre-real-mask phase, I was trying to do surgicals at work and it just sucked. They just sat right on my mouth and got real muggy. Not fun at all to work a flattop in, let alone trying to do dishes. Luckily for me there was roughly nobody ordering anything at that point, could have been much worse.

I felt mostly the same about the knwhatevers I tried, but I could at least tell those were doing something so it felt like a better trade. These days I'm doing elastomerics or auras depending on the situation, and they're no trouble at all.

Strep Vote
May 5, 2004

أنا أحب حليب الشوكولاتة

Bastard Tetris posted:

Still dodging the novel SARS-2 baby, love to have functional organs

My mitochondria are safe.

Bastard Tetris
Apr 27, 2005

L-Shaped

Nap Ghost
It is legit weird that the more complicated the PPE is the more comfy it is, yesterday I did 14 hours in a PAPR with no problems at all

floffytoffy
Mar 10, 2007

a cat am I
Question regarding getting an elastomeric. Most websites have sizing charts which involve measuring one's face. Should I be using a tape measure or ruler for this? Results will differ since the ruler isn't curved. Last time (and unfortunately I don't remember which method I used to measure) I ended up with a Dentec that absolutely did not fit, so just wanted to confirm before making the same mistake again.

bobtheconqueror
May 10, 2005

Bastard Tetris posted:

It is legit weird that the more complicated the PPE is the more comfy it is, yesterday I did 14 hours in a PAPR with no problems at all

It makes some sense since the more complicated stuff is designed for professional use. It's that one parable about poor person shoes but with masks, I think from like a Terry Pratchett book?

bobtheconqueror has issued a correction as of 18:59 on Aug 25, 2023

Turtle Sandbox
Dec 31, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Insanite posted:

giving into the fear isn't really the complete thought
it's more like

"don't give into the fear that you, a being gifted with sentience rightfully have, because it would make things inconvenient for people who rely on the status quo for their comfort"

we need shorthand tho due to covid causing memory loss

It should be illegal to combat COVID.

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

combatting covid would be battery and that's AGAINST THE LAW

KlavierVogel
Feb 27, 2004

[] an old crow spoke to me [] busted leg limped down the street [] said we're both tied to our own trees [] cut me loose, cut me loose []
Anyone else still taking part in the CHASING COVID Cohort Study? I just got my results back from the latest round of blood testing and it's pretty interesting - I'd thought that I'd gotten got a year ago, but maybe not? At the very least I'm still rocking those vaccine-induced antibodies :getin:

CHASING COVID Cohort Study posted:

Thank you again for submitting your specimen to the CHASING COVID Cohort Study. Your specimen from 7/20/2023 has been tested for antibodies to SARS-CoV-2, the results are as follows:

Bio-Rad Platelia SARS-CoV-2 Total Antibody Test: Non-Reactive
Euroimmun SARS-COV-2 Elisa Assay: Reactive

What do the results mean?

Bio-Rad Platelia SARS-CoV-2 Total Antibody Test is designed to detect antibodies specific for nucleocapsid protein (N protein) of the coronavirus that causes COVID-19.
- A reactive result suggests that you may have been exposed to the virus that causes COVID-19 in the past or were actively infected at the time of specimen collection.
- A non-reactive result suggests that you may NOT have been exposed to the virus that causes COVID-19 in the past, or that antibodies to the virus are no longer present if you were infected in the past.

Euroimmun SARS-COV-2 Elisa Assay is designed to detect IgG antibodies specific for the virus spike protein (S protein) that develop once a person has received the COVID-19 vaccination. These antibodies also occur as a result of infection with SARS-CoV-2.
- If you have been vaccinated against COVID-19, a reactive result suggests that vaccine-induced antibodies to SARS-CoV-2 were detected in your blood. If you have NOT been vaccinated, you may have been exposed to the virus that causes COVID-19 in the past or were actively infected at the time of specimen collection.
- If you have been vaccinated, a non-reactive result indicates that vaccination may have failed to produce detectable antibodies, or the antibodies you acquired from receiving the COVID-19 vaccines may have waned.
- If you have NOT been vaccinated, the result suggests that you may NOT have been exposed to the virus that causes COVID-19 in the past, or that antibodies to the virus are no longer present if you were infected in the past.

How should I interpret this result: If your result is non-reactive, this alone is not sufficient to determine that you were never infected with COVID-19 in the past. Potential false positive or false negative results, failure to develop detectable antibodies after vaccination or infection, and waning of antibodies with time after infection or vaccination should be considered when interpreting antibody test results. A proportion of persons who are infected with SARS-CoV-2 may not develop measurable antibodies, thereby limiting the sensitivity of any antibody test to detect previous infection in these individuals. In addition, antibody titers also might wane over time, and the ability to detect seroreversion might vary according to the antibody test used. Based on this result, you should consult with your physician if you are concerned about your risks for COVID-19 disease and to determine if additional testing or treatments are indicated. Please contact us for a formal report to share with your physician.

About the test: Two tests were run on your specimen: 1) the BioRad Platelia SARS-CoV-2 Total Antibody Test, which measures three different immune molecules, IgG, IgA, IgM antibodies, and has high sensitivity and 2) the Euroimmun SARS-COV-2 Elisa Assay, which measures one type of immune molecule, IgG antibodies, and has high specificity. Running two tests minimizes the possibility of false positive test results. Based on your vaccination status, these two tests also help distinguish between antibodies (to N protein) resulting from prior COVID-19 infection and antibodies to S proteins resulting from the vaccines vaccine-induced antibodies (to S protein). Both of these tests have been authorized by the FDA under an Emergency Use Authorization (EUA). These tests were validated in accordance with the FDA's Guidance Document. However, while they are authorized for use by FDA, these tests have not yet been FDA-approved. Here is a link to the FDA website, which explains more about the tests and gives the sensitivity and specificity values for both.

For more information about COVID-19 Antibody Testing, please visit https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/lab/resources/antibody-tests-guidelines.html

Sincerely,

CHASING COVID Cohort Study Team
CUNY Institute for Implementation Science in Population Health

Rosalind
Apr 30, 2013

When we hit our lowest point, we are open to the greatest change.

KlavierVogel posted:

Anyone else still taking part in the CHASING COVID Cohort Study? I just got my results back from the latest round of blood testing and it's pretty interesting - I'd thought that I'd gotten got a year ago, but maybe not? At the very least I'm still rocking those vaccine-induced antibodies :getin:

That's my study! Well I'm loosely affiliated with it at least. Let me know if you have any questions.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

speng31b posted:

I fear that my previous post is going to read as too insincere or jokey now, so I'll just be blunt about it. It's not legal to say a post is genocide because it's critical of this thread, or for most other reasons, even if you think it's an exaggeration.

Saying "free <poster>" is fine for rich historic reasons, but anything that sincerely reads as calling a post genocide or defending that take is going to get probated.

And that's fine, but a month is pretty harsh.

It's also tacitly taking the side of someone who says "everyone who posts in thread I don't like should be banned" by going overboard on the probe.

Turtle Sandbox posted:

It should be illegal to combat COVID.

We're almost there in several states, watch what happens when there's a big surge and the CDC alludes to sort of maybe think about wearing a mask again.

Also it's a Chinese bioweapon and I demand we immediately surrender.

NeonPunk
Dec 21, 2020

floffytoffy posted:

Question regarding getting an elastomeric. Most websites have sizing charts which involve measuring one's face. Should I be using a tape measure or ruler for this? Results will differ since the ruler isn't curved. Last time (and unfortunately I don't remember which method I used to measure) I ended up with a Dentec that absolutely did not fit, so just wanted to confirm before making the same mistake again.

Use a tape measure. Unfortunately there isn't a universal standard for measurements. so those sizing charts is only good for those same brand they came from. It's like women clothing, a store might have a size 10 pants, but the exact same person in other store is labeled size 14

You said Dentec didn't fit, how did it not fit you? Was it too small, too big, too wide, too snug on your nose or leave gaps across your cheekbones?

NeonPunk has issued a correction as of 19:27 on Aug 25, 2023

fosborb
Dec 15, 2006

Chronic Good Poster

Bastard Tetris posted:

I have a relative who did covid triage back in 2020 in the full hood. she said it was pretty painful after a few hours. I know part of that was radiation treatment on one side 20 years earlier, but I wonder if her hospital just had huge bulky old stuff they brought out from storage

Ham Cheeks
Nov 18, 2012

Feeling hammy

The Oldest Man posted:

don't you mean from surgeons :v:

GIMME WANING GIMME TITERS GIMME COVID BROKE MY BITERS, OOH

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

eXXon posted:

i don't know if it's the shape of my ears or the hardness of my cartilage but i can't stand anything with earloops. especially surgicals, because those are tighter than your average crappy cloth mask. the pain is terrible after just 30 minutes. and yeah, surgicals give me huge fog backwash on my glasses. the n95 aura has no such problems--even less so with p100 respos.

i went to the hospital maybe a year ago and they made me wear one over my n95 for the eight hours it took them to process me lol. some guy came in with his leg shredded by a shark bite about an hour after me and he was still in the waiting room when i left. but he seemed pretty chill about it somehow

Fur20 has issued a correction as of 19:44 on Aug 25, 2023

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

New slate article dismissing long covid using the latest VA study as evidence, somehow. If you want to get mad/take a crack at debunking it, enjoy I guess

https://slate.com/technology/2023/08/long-covid-nature-medicine-public-health.html

quote:

What the Latest Evidence Actually Says About Long COVID
A new study looks at data from patients two years after their initial infection. It contains some alarming figures—until you dig into them.
By Gideon Meyerowitz-Katz
Aug 25, 202311:45 AM

Bastard Tetris
Apr 27, 2005

L-Shaped

Nap Ghost

fosborb posted:

I have a relative who did covid triage back in 2020 in the full hood. she said it was pretty painful after a few hours. I know part of that was radiation treatment on one side 20 years earlier, but I wonder if her hospital just had huge bulky old stuff they brought out from storage

It’s possible, I can see how these things can suck if they’re not fit incredibly well. I am very thankful our operations people are crack-pinged sickos and understand how important fit testing is.

Rosalind posted:

That's my study! Well I'm loosely affiliated with it at least. Let me know if you have any questions.

Is this study still open? I’d love to volunteer.

-m.
Jul 2, 2007

KlavierVogel posted:

Anyone else still taking part in the CHASING COVID Cohort Study?
:wave:
Yep, but I wasn't able to get enough blood on either card to get any results. Happened last time as well. Followed all the tips, used all the pokey things, but lol, it'd form a dome of blood and not fall. They asked if I wanted another set of tests, and I'd love too but mentioned I don't want to waste any either.
I really want to know if I still have the antibodies from last October, I'd like to get my colonoscopy in this year and would feel better if I had those + new vax.

RBC
Nov 23, 2007

IM STILL SPENDING MONEY FROM 1888

Cup Runneth Over posted:

anyone can do this, you just dont get covid tests its not hard

GXL
Feb 6, 2004

It's against all of our policies for an application to ever share information with advertisers.

Bastard Tetris posted:

I think you'll find that the comfort of complicated gear dissipates once you step out of the lab and face the normality zealots

corona familiar
Aug 13, 2021

same with bike gear. physical comfort versus social discomfort

The Saucer Hovers
May 16, 2005

RBC posted:

anyone can do this, you just dont get covid tests its not hard

whats the test that looks for old dormant covid pieces? how long does the turdblood last i wonder.

StratGoatCom
Aug 6, 2019

Our security is guaranteed by being able to melt the eyeballs of any other forum's denizens at 15 minutes notice

GXL posted:

I think you'll find that the comfort of complicated gear dissipates once you step out of the lab and face the normality zealots

Meh, never had issues there, either because I don't do things by halves or because I'm generally friendly enough and careful to be understood that folks don't mind.

floffytoffy
Mar 10, 2007

a cat am I

NeonPunk posted:

Use a tape measure. Unfortunately there isn't a universal standard for measurements. so those sizing charts is only good for those same brand they came from. It's like women clothing, a store might have a size 10 pants, but the exact same person in other store is labeled size 14

You said Dentec didn't fit, how did it not fit you? Was it too small, too big, too wide, too snug on your nose or leave gaps across your cheekbones?

Thank you for answering! Dentec was too big to seal, and the only way I could get it to remotely seal was to have my mouth wide open, which wasn't going to be practical. I had used size charts for Dentec and not another brand, so was wondering where I may have gone wrong in measuring. At this rate it's probably better to get a Dentec in the next smallest size, but I'm also like what if it's too small this time? So maybe better to go with another brand.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rosalind
Apr 30, 2013

When we hit our lowest point, we are open to the greatest change.

Bastard Tetris posted:

It’s possible, I can see how these things can suck if they’re not fit incredibly well. I am very thankful our operations people are crack-pinged sickos and understand how important fit testing is.

Is this study still open? I’d love to volunteer.

It's a cohort study that closed to recruitment in May 2020 alas. I will post here if any new study opportunities that people might be well suited for become available.

-m. posted:

:wave:
Yep, but I wasn't able to get enough blood on either card to get any results. Happened last time as well. Followed all the tips, used all the pokey things, but lol, it'd form a dome of blood and not fall. They asked if I wanted another set of tests, and I'd love too but mentioned I don't want to waste any either.
I really want to know if I still have the antibodies from last October, I'd like to get my colonoscopy in this year and would feel better if I had those + new vax.

Don't tell the study team I said this but you can very lightly touch the stubborn blood drop to the card to break the surface tension. I have the same problem and I do this every time and it's never invalidated my results. The issue is people mashing their fingers against the card which can mess the samples up somehow.

Edit: also do not feel guilty about asking for a second set of collection materials. We routinely have people who need 3, 4, or even 5 tests before they are able to get a sample. This is factored into the study budget.

Rosalind has issued a correction as of 21:36 on Aug 25, 2023