Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: PoundSand)

Zugzwang
Jan 2, 2005

You have a kind of sick desperation in your laugh.

Ramrod XTreme
New JAMA study on the effects of China dropping their zero covid policy: https://jamanetwork.com/journals/jamanetworkopen/fullarticle/2808734

tl; dr: the authors estimate 1.87 million excess deaths in 2 months

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Notorious R.I.M.
Jan 27, 2004

up to my ass in alligators

Platystemon posted:

If asked to consider what would happen if smallpox tomorrow escaped from Atlanta or Novosibirsk or the pages of some forgotten book, everyone knows that we wouldn’t simply let it scythe through one fifth of the population.

:laugh:

Notorious R.I.M.
Jan 27, 2004

up to my ass in alligators
I can't wait to get the mild form of smallpox.

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

Zugzwang posted:

New JAMA study on the effects of China dropping their zero covid policy: https://jamanetwork.com/journals/jamanetworkopen/fullarticle/2808734

skill issue

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007

Zugzwang posted:

what’s that break down to per 100000 vs the us

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Still wishing there were a politically acceptable third way between zero covid and open biden, maybe it's just missing a catchy name not like choose your own covid.

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

eXXon posted:

Still wishing there were a politically acceptable third way between zero covid and open biden, maybe it's just missing a catchy name not like choose your own covid.

I don't think that position can be allowed to exist, because if you admit COVID is a big problem and probably always will be then that implies we should be doing things like mandating far-uvc install and providing funds and changing building codes to improve air cleaning and exterior ventilation. And those can't ever be allowed to happen because a) it costs something but more importantly b) people might start getting crazy ideas like rich people and companies and institutions that operate physical buildings should be legally liable if they allow mass outbreaks of potentially fatal diseases in their buildings by failing to implement air hygiene standards.

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007

eXXon posted:

goons loaded up with combat gear/guns and a n95 with a 5% badge

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Rated PG-34 posted:

how about also people were always right to question the vaccine and efficacy of lockdowns as the pandemic never suspended the question of capital.

it’s still echoed in this very thread that if people had just lockdowned harder, the virus would have been defeated. that was just a delusion as lockdowns were always for the ‘non-essential’ workers.

the disdain for ‘anti-vaxxers’ was always dumb because the vaccine doesn’t stop spread and the risk calculation is nebulous especially for younger people as the vaccine is not without side-effects

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Shady Amish Terror posted:

'quarantines could never have worked right if capitalism didn't allow them to be used correctly!' yes, good, I'm glad we're all on the same page here, that is one of the things we've complained about a lot, see also, airlines dictating health policy

just gonna go bowling with these tepid mostly-correct hot-takes, better spice'em up good and frame them in a weirdly combative manner that equates appropriate skepticism of capitalists with regressive fringe movements

Scare-quoting anti-vaxxers is funny, because it's a movement that was already causing problems for public health before covid and got turbo-charged by the horrible mismanagement of messaging during covid. It's also funny to imply the threads were horribly naive about quarantining, because like, quarantining HAS been effectively used to combat public health problems in the past, sometimes even by lovely neoliberals in the US, even relatively recently. I mean, China and Australia managed to prevent a ton of infections and deaths for years even by doing so badly in a half-assed fashion. You're correct that the large systemic problems of capitalism/globalism/neo-liberalism/etc also kneecapped public health, I don't think anyone's really contesting that part lol

The lockdowns we had here in Melbourne Australia back in 2020-1 started off kind've half-assed but got progressively stricter as the number of infections and deaths kept rising, until they got to the point where the infections tapered off and then went back down. They shut all the schools and non-essential businesses like gymnasiums and hairdressers, banned sit-down dining, imposed an 8pm-5am curfew, ordered everyone except essential workers to stay inside their houses except for 1hr of outdoors exercise per day, mandated masks for everyone over 12 years old at all times outside their houses (except for people with legit medical exemptions), restricted travel to a 5km radius from your home (with a few strict exceptions), closed the border and airports, mandated 14 day hotel quarantine for anyone who did enter the state, etc etc. The longest continuous lockdown here was 112 days .... and it worked. Infections were brought down to zero and stayed there for quite a long time, with the occasional small outbreak which was usually stamped out fairly quickly. We had 246 days of lockdown across 2020-1 in total.

The state government up in NSW was much less interested in shutting down so when they got a delta outbreak in late 2021 they were really half-assed about it which inevitably saw infections keep multiplying and spread to other states, including Victoria. There wasn't much we could do about that, they pretty much unilaterally killed the lockdown option for the entire country. :shrug:

Also note that my brother works in the trucking industry and since he was a legit essential worker he still had to go to work every day all throughout the lockdowns. Everyone in his company had an "essential worker certificate" they had to carry with them in case the cops pulled them over (which his company had to write up & print themselves, anyone could have easily faked it lol)

Here's a Wikipedia page that lists the lockdown efforts in other countries around the globe: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/COVID-19_lockdowns_by_country#Countries_and_territories_with_lockdowns

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007
i came up with the answer within the capitalist framework (outside of half assed lockdowns) way back in 2020: deliberate infections of covid. Instead of overrunning hospitals by random function of waves, industrialize the infection for the purposes of basically getting covid infection under supervision. this unfortunately was too based to exist. they already gave out massive handouts to plebes in theend so you could just give a smaller handout and get to go to covid infection summer camp. Impossible to be this foresighted in reality smdh. I should get a job at Mckinsey

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

The lockdowns we had here in Melbourne Australia back in 2020-1 started off kind've half-assed but got progressively stricter as the number of infections and deaths kept rising, until they got to the point where the infections tapered off and then went back down. They shut all the schools and non-essential businesses like gymnasiums and hairdressers, banned sit-down dining, imposed an 8pm-5am curfew, ordered everyone except essential workers to stay inside their houses except for 1hr of outdoors exercise per day, mandated masks for everyone over 12 years old at all times outside their houses (except for people with legit medical exemptions), restricted travel to a 5km radius from your home (with a few strict exceptions), closed the border and airports, mandated 14 day hotel quarantine for anyone who did enter the state, etc etc. The longest continuous lockdown here was 112 days .... and it worked. Infections were brought down to zero and stayed there for quite a long time, with the occasional small outbreak which was usually stamped out fairly quickly. We had 246 days of lockdown across 2020-1 in total.

The state government up in NSW was much less interested in shutting down so when they got a delta outbreak in late 2021 they were really half-assed about it which inevitably saw infections keep multiplying and spread to other states, including Victoria. There wasn't much we could do about that, they pretty much unilaterally killed the lockdown option for the entire country. :shrug:

Also note that my brother works in the trucking industry and since he was a legit essential worker he still had to go to work every day all throughout the lockdowns. Everyone in his company had an "essential worker certificate" they had to carry with them in case the cops pulled them over (which his company had to write up & print themselves, anyone could have easily faked it lol)

Here's a Wikipedia page that lists the lockdown efforts in other countries around the globe: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/COVID-19_lockdowns_by_country#Countries_and_territories_with_lockdowns

In the US people were getting in fights to get into Red Lobster in what, April of 2020?

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

Homeless Friend posted:

i came up with the answer within the capitalist framework (outside of half assed lockdowns) way back in 2020: deliberate infections of covid. Instead of overrunning hospitals by random function of waves, industrialize the infection for the purposes of basically getting covid infection under supervision. this unfortunately was too based to exist. they already gave out massive handouts to plebes so you could just give a smaller handout and get to go to covid infection summer camp. I should get a job at Mckinsey

Thanks, Sweden

HazCat
May 4, 2009

Australia's lockdowns failed because the country was in a prisoner's dilemma and the NSW government started screaming 'betray betray betray' loud enough for everyone to hear as soon as it was their turn at the table.

But more broadly, covid as it exists today exists so because neoliberalism intentionally destroyed the trust the public needs to have in the government in order to follow public health orders.

You can unironically draw a short straight line directly between the millions of people who have died from covid and Thatcher's belief that 'there's no such thing as society. There are individual men and women and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look after themselves first'.

pillsburysoldier
Feb 11, 2008

Yo, peep that shit

The main character in Metallica's "One" music video actually had long covid not war injuries

Tzen
Sep 11, 2001

blue squares posted:

we announced it and everyone else attending the shower was already exposed to the same person on the same day and none of them give a poo poo including the pregnant woman, so whatever, party on
lol goddamn party on :coronatoot:

Zugzwang posted:

Yeah, a lot of legitimately brilliant people I know don't know about any of this stuff. I might not either if I didn't happen to be reading the forums at somethingawful.com.
same goes for paxlovid, any time i've mentioned it people are completely clueless about it

Teabag Dome Scandal
Mar 19, 2002

eXXon posted:

Covid Freestyle

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

eXXon posted:

I dunno if you're referring to like the "branding" of zero Covid but

this might've worked for wild type. now its the most contagious disease known to man, so everything that is not zero Covid is, in practice, open biden. no intervention at a population level that comes even a little short of absolute zero Covid will make a real difference.

barring a pharmaceutical miracle there's no path to elimination either now, so, it's... I dunno. it doesn't matter what half assed bullshit any governments do. does not matter, epidemiologically.

Dog Case
Oct 7, 2003

Heeelp meee... prevent wildfires
I cleaned out my wallet today and found a receipt for something I bought in a store in May of 2020. Lockdowns!

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Homeless Friend posted:

i came up with the answer within the capitalist framework (outside of half assed lockdowns) way back in 2020: deliberate infections of covid. Instead of overrunning hospitals by random function of waves, industrialize the infection for the purposes of basically getting covid infection under supervision. this unfortunately was too based to exist. they already gave out massive handouts to plebes in theend so you could just give a smaller handout and get to go to covid infection summer camp. Impossible to be this foresighted in reality smdh. I should get a job at Mckinsey

That was probably the natural extrapolation of the "natural immunity is the best immunity!" argument that certain people kept repeating throughout certain parts of the pandemic, except that the entire point of that argument was that the thought was always left unfinished. It wasn't actually an argument, it was a thought terminating cliche to avoid discussion.

If people really actually wanted 'natural immunity' we could have had covid sommeliers who offered all the various variants and subvariants so you could pick and choose depending on the prevalent symptoms you preferred to experience. "Here's a cheeky little omicron BA.1 subvariant which'll camp out in your upper resp tract, low odds of losing your sense of smell or taste! Or could I interest you in an obscure Brazilian P.1 gamma variant?"

E: That variant you like is going to come back in style!

Edit 2 for the SAD posters: this is a joke post, I am not seriously suggesting that anyone shop around for a covid infection

Snowglobe of Doom has issued a correction as of 03:07 on Aug 27, 2023

DickParasite
Dec 2, 2004

Slippery Tilde

IME this was pretty half-assed. A large number of my workplace, myself included, were deemed essential. We had the travel permits and everything and most of us continued working in-person during the lockdowns. Nobody ever got checked on their work commute and we never had a workplace inspection.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
Yeah there were a few loopholes in that system :v:

Snowglobe of Doom has issued a correction as of 03:35 on Aug 27, 2023

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

I was just going back to the covid paper of record (which is this thread) to see what it was like immediately pre-Omicron relative to the situation with BA.2.86

Jon Irenicus posted:

extremely hosed up that I'll have heard of the OG COVID, Delta, and this new strain from the SomethingAwful forums and not, I dunno, state broadcasting agencies

1) NYT and Monica Gandhi saying it's over (not notable, they're always saying this if they're saying anything) <24 hours before a second variant hit the towers
2) bunch of "seek therapy" posting right before the graveyards started overflowing again
3) it was posted about in here <24 hours after being registered on pango (thanks zantie) with a lot of "oh poo poo oh gently caress get in the car" wording on the github

https://i.imgur.com/rbV9K2j.mp4

4) fully visible vertical line growth in SA by the time the first sequences were registered, unlike BA.2.86, but the usual minimizer crew was saying its nbd because only a few of those were sequenced as omicron at that point. But it was obvious from SA's cases and the number of sequences cropping up combined that Omicron was going to be a loving disaster within like 3 days of it getting added to pango. Expert posting analysis leads me to believe this is probably not going to be the backdraft-style mega-wave of winter 21/22 but it ain't great in any case.

And a classic timely Balloux just for fun

Dog Case
Oct 7, 2003

Heeelp meee... prevent wildfires
I never missed a day of work because of COVID. Here's an ancient Snoo art where the yellow ribbons were from a picture I took of a quarantine themed break room party at work

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Hellequin
Feb 26, 2008

You Scream! You open your TORN, ROTTED, DECOMPOSED MOUTH AND SCREAM!
Hey so my partner is starting a new job in a few weeks where they'll have to be in the office for stretches at a time, they'll be masking but I was also wondering if anyone had some recommendations for a small, portable desktop air purifier they can bring with them.

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

Hellequin posted:

Hey so my partner is starting a new job in a few weeks where they'll have to be in the office for stretches at a time, they'll be masking but I was also wondering if anyone had some recommendations for a small, portable desktop air purifier they can bring with them.

there are tiny corsi cube builds

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:
in my experience the spring 2020 lockdowns were self enforced. I remember walking around the neighborhood and asking someone at a restaurant if they were worried, they said no. the nba cancelled their season and everyone figured it must be real and deadly. A week later everything was dead quiet, dine-in was gone and not a soul at the park. no one ever stopped me from leaving the house or gave me poo poo for being out, but no one was out. one friend got it and was sure she was going to die because of her comorbidities.

dunno how kids fared but the few parents I spoke to said it sucked

was an interesting time. probably should be studied.

pillsburysoldier
Feb 11, 2008

Yo, peep that shit

Hellequin posted:

https://sidedeal.com/deals/my-happi-true-hepa-air-purifier-7

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

I was looking for work in spring 2020 and no showed two interviews because of fear. no one even called to see where I was. spent the next 8 months or so not looking for work because I thought it was too dangerous. now it's still too dangerous but there is no choice.

StratGoatCom
Aug 6, 2019

Our security is guaranteed by being able to melt the eyeballs of any other forum's denizens at 15 minutes notice

https://www.nationalnursesunited.org/covid-19

Figure it may be worth seeing if we could help here?

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

StratGoatCom posted:

https://www.nationalnursesunited.org/covid-19

Figure it may be worth seeing if we could help here?

National Nurses United congratulates Biden, Harris, people’s movement on election win

Nurses applaud Biden’s American Rescue Plan

Nurses Applaud Biden’s National Strategy for the Covid-19 Response

Probably little we could do compared to the group calling in their favors with Joe Biden

pillsburysoldier
Feb 11, 2008

Yo, peep that shit

Plus the majority of nurses are mostly unified against any covid precautions at this point.

No idea why

Nothus
Feb 22, 2001

Buglord

Hellequin posted:

https://www.texairfilters.com/a-mini-corsi-rosenthal-box-air-cleaner/

Add in a 9in fan of your choice. I use this one https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B06WP6CY4G/

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

blue squares posted:

we announced it and everyone else attending the shower was already exposed to the same person on the same day and none of them give a poo poo including the pregnant woman, so whatever, party on

drat, ugly situation. I hope for the best. Info in the OP of the thread if things go the other way on you.

Good luck, goon

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Dog Case posted:

I never missed a day of work because of COVID. Here's an ancient Snoo art where the yellow ribbons were from a picture I took of a quarantine themed break room party at work

Also that lovely cardboard + plastic sheet "sneeze barrier" was from some service goon's workplace, their manager installed that gradeschool art project instead of shelling out for a plexiglass barrier

Fansy
Feb 26, 2013

I GAVE LOWTAX COOKIE MONEY TO CHANGE YOUR STUPID AVATAR GO FUCK YOURSELF DUDE
Grimey Drawer

Hellequin posted:

https://twitter.com/_CatintheHat/status/1575498961623732226

fosborb
Dec 15, 2006

Chronic Good Poster

Also that lovely cardboard + plastic sheet "sneeze barrier" was from some service goon's workplace, their manager installed that gradeschool art project instead of shelling out for a plexiglass barrier

it was snoo's work place. Party City. just as VC took over the company and hosed everything over and used the price of helium as an excuse.

a fantastic, hosed up constellation

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007

Dog Case posted:

We're hiring! gently caress You. always makes me lol

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

hope Snoo is still reasonably okay

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pillsburysoldier
Feb 11, 2008

Yo, peep that shit

RealityWarCriminal posted:

hope Snoo is still reasonably okay