Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

never pay more than twenty-five bucks for a videogame

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

poo poo Fuckasaurus posted:

Game reviewers? Also I do like to play games when they come out, but I have a different approach. I am actively trying to break the game, just to see what I can do, because it's extremely interesting from a technical perspective and helps you better understand what's going on under the hood. I don't buy games new, however, because I really do wish that $60 titles were held to any level of functionality at all, because I was the kid who bought games on release day back before live patching was possible and it was a great time and things worked and I want people to have that again.

I will happily post screenshots of the glitches in my current Watch Dogs: Legion (a 3 year old game) playthrough, but I don't think anyone wants screenshots of branded loading screens when the mission flow breaks or Spiderbots clipping uselessly into random locations and being unable to escape. This is accepted, this is normal now, the game has Mixed reviews not because of the bugs, but because of the absolutely terrible story and the badly broken systems they added on top of the (similarly buggy but much better reviewed) Watch Dogs 2. Additionally, they are not my favorites, those are from Halo 2 multiplayer where you could get outside the maps.

Legion has issues, but it is a legit fun game.

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

Doc Hawkins posted:

Never pay at all

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

Humbug Scoolbus posted:

Legion has issues, but it is a legit fun game.

I didn't have a single glitch or bug while playing through Watch Dogs Legion just recently, not that I don't believe any stories of it being buggy, but I guess I managed to miss out on all of it.

That said, the story was utterly worthless and just about the dumbest plot I've ever encountered in a game with a super weak villain and the poor voice modulation made it obvious that they only had like five VOs for the playable characters and one VO doing the "old lady" voice.

On the plus side, I did like Bagley far more than I could've ever expected and the gameplay was quite a bit of fun in the typical Ubisoft way. I wouldn't have ever paid to play it so it was just chance that it was on Playstation+

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Using Bethesda as an example of buggy games in any era is cheating because Bethesda has never produced a game that wasn't a miserable pile of bugs.

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

While I usually agree with you, there are definitely runs where playing the game "normally" is a lot less interesting. Super Pitfall, for example, is a pretty lousy game, but the speedrun is silly fun because it gives the game exactly as much respect as it deserves. There's a GDQ run by, if I recall correctly, Klaige, which is worth watching. I'd link it but I'm phoneposting right now.

Sometimes you'll get runs where the run category specifically limits which tricks can be used, typically so that "boring" parts of the game (e.g. autoscrollers) can be skipped while leaving as much of the remainder intact as possible. My memory is failing me for examples, but it definitely does happen. Usually only for games that are popular and where the any% run is completely busted, though.

EDIT: Here's the Super Pitfall run
Hell, the infamous SNES Family Feud TAS that abuses the text parser is the only way I'd watch or play Family Feud. There's also a pretty funny TAS of DS Brain Age that abuses the text recognition engine in the game to solve math problems by drawing Nintendo characters.

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

Stare-Out posted:

That said, the story was utterly worthless and just about the dumbest plot I've ever encountered in a game
The WD Legion side-plot about Skye Larsen's mind uploading tech had some genuinely creepy bits in it, the 'upload pruning' of the House AI especially.

Played WD:L straight after Horizon Zero Dawn; Never trust a loving billionaire!

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

On the plus side i played totk recently and the only bugs i found were ones i deliberately sought out in order to do crazy stuff.

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!

Commander Keene posted:

Hell, the infamous SNES Family Feud TAS that abuses the text parser is the only way I'd watch or play Family Feud. There's also a pretty funny TAS of DS Brain Age that abuses the text recognition engine in the game to solve math problems by drawing Nintendo characters.

1000% agreed, I wish playaround was a more common genre. I'm not anti-glitch, narrated tas videos breaking down how bugs work and why specific paths were taken can be a like of fun too

https://youtu.be/Prnur9J8p_8?feature=shared

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

NoneMoreNegative posted:

The WD Legion side-plot about Skye Larsen's mind uploading tech had some genuinely creepy bits in it, the 'upload pruning' of the House AI especially.

Played WD:L straight after Horizon Zero Dawn; Never trust a loving billionaire!

Yeah some of the side stuff was good like the Skye Larsen story, but the main story was offensively bad. It didn't ruin the game for me though it came close. I just like stealthing into enemy strongholds a lot and some of the hacking gimmicks made it fun. The spider-bot was way too powerful though, disguising your character as the enemy and waltzing into the base while avoiding detection and sabotaging poo poo was better.

very risky blowjob
Sep 27, 2015

Doc Hawkins posted:

this, and also buy a physical copy so when you finish it, you can recoup some of it by selling the disc

dialhforhero
Apr 3, 2008
Am I 🧑‍🏫 out of touch🤔? No🧐, it's the children👶 who are wrong🤷🏼‍♂️
At this point bugs in Bethesda games are a feature and if they don’t occur I feel a bit left out and cheated.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem
I only played Skyrim once at release and while I got boring glitches like broken quest flags I did see classics like the infinitely cloning man outside of Whiterun.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

Sentient Data posted:

1000% agreed, I wish playaround was a more common genre. I'm not anti-glitch, narrated tas videos breaking down how bugs work and why specific paths were taken can be a like of fun too

https://youtu.be/Prnur9J8p_8?feature=shared

OH NO! OWN GOAL?!

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

why does this game even have graphics for dogs anyway

ZixTheYeti
Jul 12, 2005

Hellarious!

Have fun navigating that in first person!

Fuckin’ MC DM Escher bullshit.

Mercury_Storm
Jun 12, 2003

*chomp chomp chomp*
In Daggerfall you basically had to have a recall (spell) point set at the entrance to the dungeon right when you get in, because there was no way in hell you'd find your way back out. I think you could even get permanently trapped in some of them because they required levitation and you might not have it. The final dungeon in the game even has a required levitate section right before you reach the final room and you don't have it by then "gently caress you" if I guess because the entrance to the whole place is one-way.

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

Mercury_Storm posted:

In Daggerfall you basically had to have a recall (spell) point set at the entrance to the dungeon right when you get in, because there was no way in hell you'd find your way back out. I think you could even get permanently trapped in some of them because they required levitation and you might not have it. The final dungeon in the game even has a required levitate section right before you reach the final room and you don't have it by then "gently caress you" if I guess because the entrance to the whole place is one-way.

I think there was a chance of starting the game in a dungeon you couldn't actually get out of.

Jothan
Dec 18, 2013

Doc Hawkins posted:

why does this game even have graphics for dogs anyway

That part’s intended; you can give the referees dog sprites with a cheat code

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

i know that part, im saying why was development time and cartridge memory spent on dog sprites. all just for to have that cheat code?

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!
Games used to be about fun, and back in the cartridge days it was conceivable for an extremely small team to have more free reign for stuff. Just look at 007 multiplayer as an example

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

PurpleXVI posted:

It was not, as I recall it, impossible, but it was unlikely for a couple of reasons.

Firstly, if I remember right, a couple of quest chains were "dead ends." I don't think they prevented you from completing the game, but they, either intentionally or not, just took resources and quest items and then went "lol, lmao."

Secondly, the loving dungeon design. See, except for very few dungeons, like the very first one, none of them were handcrafted in any sense of the word. The remainder were all smushed together out of pre-made chunks that made them completely nonsensical nightmares. I think that a given dungeon might've been the same layout from playthrough to playthrough but where objectives were in the dungeon was also randomized, so guides were also useless. In addition to this, the dungeon "seams" had a habit of dumping you into the void outside of geometry to the point that Bethesda later released a patch... which didn't fix the holes but instead gave you a quick-key to teleport yourself back to the last location you touched that was in-bounds.
Don't forget that the random nature could also mean that the correct way to progress to the quest objective would turn out to be poo poo like "go up through the hole in the middle of the ceiling".

Daggerfall was an excellent example of the promise and risks of procedural generation. Its world is vastly bigger than even modern open-world games! ...and there's basically nothing in it. The towns are all basically only differentiated by which shops they procedurally spawn with. And the dungeons are nightmarish 3D labyrinths:

Have fun navigating that in first person!

The neat thing is that you can still, to this day, just go to a random point on the map and stand decent odds of being the first person to explore that section of the game world. It's a meaningless accomplishment, of course. Daggerfall is one of the earlier examples of a game whose developers' reach vastly exceeded their grasp.
It also had an in-game map... which was NOT useful for parsing 3d stuff like that.

IShallRiseAgain posted:

I think there was a chance of starting the game in a dungeon you couldn't actually get out of.
No, plot dungeons were hand-crafted. If you wandered off the direct route out you could run into some nasty spawns, though.

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

Sentient Data posted:

Games used to be about fun, and back in the cartridge days it was conceivable for an extremely small team to have more free reign for stuff. Just look at 007 multiplayer as an example

which was a publisher mandate done in the 11th hour of production no less!

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

With our special guest star, RUSH! YAYYYYYYYYY

Upsidads posted:

which was a publisher mandate done in the 11th hour of production no less!
If we're talking about GoldenEye 007, the multiplayer was initially designed by one guy with no knowledge or permission from the Rare management or Nintendo. NoA's Ken Lobb, who worked closely with Rare, wanted multiplayer in the game because he thought it'd be fun (apparently, he was also the guy who convinced Nintendo of Japan to include four controller ports on the N64), but it wasn't an official mandate or anything and the team kept telling him it wasn't going to be possible as they didn't want to delay the game even further.

Steve Ellis was the guy who actually messed around with multiplayer and eventually got it to run. The rest of the team and Rare management got on board pretty quickly, and when the mode was presented to Lobb, he was the one who had to convince Nintendo that another delay wouldn't be a big deal.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Well I haven't played GoldenEye, but it was by all accounts a delay well-used, the game almost certainly wouldn't have sold nearly as well without it.

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

I still remember seeing a vendor tape of goldeneyes alpha where every gun looked like a boxy Uzi and I that it looked like poo poo

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe
Goldeneye's development is pretty wild in general, everything about it sounds like it should have been a massive flop, but somehow it all came together and became a console classic instead. Like apparently for a good chunk of the team it was the first video game they'd ever worked on - not even first 3D game, first game period. Then there's the fact that it came out several years after the movie it was based on, and just being a console FPS in an era when that was still a thing people considered to not be doable.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

poo poo Fuckasaurus posted:

Well maybe they should try releasing games that work. Have they tried that? No? Weird. I think they should. It's what I try to accomplish every time I bring this up.

Did you know that just outside this industry, literally everywhere else in all of development, there are products released in which the average consumer interaction works as intended? Even in unimaginably complex, globe-spanning systems with an objective shitload more moving pieces, they still somehow make products that are minimally viable.

And yet this is somehow a bridge too far for an entire sub-industry.

For the record, minimally viable products in software development aren't, and pretty much never are, bug-free, in any industry and you aren't using that term correctly. It's just the bugs are a lot more obvious and tend to be a lot funnier in video games.

RBA Starblade has a new favorite as of 17:46 on Aug 28, 2023

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

Doc Hawkins posted:

i know that part, im saying why was development time and cartridge memory spent on dog sprites. all just for to have that cheat code?

Usually this kind of thing is driven by one dev doing it because it's fun. It sounds like a waste of time and effort, but the stresses of game development sometimes mean that your choices are "add something silly as a way to de-stress" or "do nothing at all as a way to de-stress".

A lot of the silly jokes in Waves of Steel were added on Friday afternoon, when I was too exhausted to do real work.

As for cartridge space, your cartridge size steps in fixed-size increments, like 256kB at a time. It's not precisely fit to the amount of content you have. Depending on how the rest of the game shakes out, it's easily possible for there to be a spare block of memory big enough to fit an easter egg into.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

DMorbid posted:

NoA's Ken Lobb

And yes, if you're wondering if the Klobb gun is named after him, it was changed very late in development from "Spyder" after Nintendo legal found out there was a paintball gun with that name.

Ken Lobb, quoted on the Goldeneye Wiki posted:

They didn’t want to risk it. It obviously looks nothing like this gun, but it’s a name that’s trademarked, so they wanted to change it, but didn’t have time to do a worldwide search. The name had to be unique. So Martin said, ‘We named it after you!’ The people at Rare called me Klobb. ‘So, we named it after you, is that okay?’ I was honored. And little did I know that the game was going to do great. I had no idea it was going to be what it was. The little letter from legal ended up having a nice impact on me, personally. It was appreciated.

No word about what his reaction was, if any, to it being legendarily lovely. Like, I can't name any other gun from Goldeneye (except the Golden Gun obvs) and even I know the Klobb is lovely.

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

It's Klobbering time.

*does 1 dmg to every pixel on screen*

very risky blowjob
Sep 27, 2015

I think games should have more bugs, but only if they're funny ones. And if you turn on arachnophobia mode it makes all the bugs go away and the game play glitch-free. Just my Two Gamer's Cents.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

I love when devs find a bug and decide it's just too funny to fix, like Saints Row and the EMTs hitting folks with defibs, causing them to suffer massive physics impulses and often fly into the stratosphere.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Arrath posted:

I love when devs find a bug and decide it's just too funny to fix

i hear this was the core development ethos of Goat Simulator

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

very risky blowjob posted:

I think games should have more bugs, but only if they're funny ones. And if you turn on arachnophobia mode it makes all the bugs go away and the game play glitch-free. Just my Two Gamer's Cents.

Arachnophobia mode on Star Control 2 should turn the Ilwrath (horrible vicious spider people) good

(For reference, in-game, another species you can meet tells you that the Ilwrath were once an enlightened and benificent race, until they got just a little too good and stack-overflowed into pure evil, in an obvious reference to the Nuclear Gandhi legend from Civilization)

Marcade
Jun 11, 2006

Who are you to glizzy gobble El Vago's marshmussy?

Just had a game breaking bug at the end of Act 2 of BG3.

Freed Nightsong by turning Shadowheart away from Shar, then besieged the Tower. Got to the top and Nightsong is there giving the same dialogue as when you meet her initially. She then turned hostile and I can't make the fight proceed to the next stage.

StillFullyTerrible
Feb 16, 2020

you should have left Let's Play open for public view, Lowtax

spiders aren't bugs

very risky blowjob
Sep 27, 2015

StillFullyTerrible posted:

spiders aren't bugs

i know, i know, they're features

Twobirds
Oct 17, 2000

The only talking mouse in all of Britannia.

Phy posted:

Arachnophobia mode on Star Control 2 should turn the Ilwrath (horrible vicious spider people) good

(For reference, in-game, another species you can meet tells you that the Ilwrath were once an enlightened and benificent race, until they got just a little too good and stack-overflowed into pure evil, in an obvious reference to the Nuclear Gandhi legend from Civilization)

Just realized the spiders were the ones with flamethrowers in that game

StillFullyTerrible
Feb 16, 2020

you should have left Let's Play open for public view, Lowtax

i know, i know, they're features

nice

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hempuli
Nov 16, 2011

Made this some time ago and lo, it's relevant: