Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

mediaphage posted:

iawtp

the blackberry was pretty usable at least but only within a narrow set of parameters imo

blackberry was fine if you had one through work and it was someone else's problem to worry about bes/bas and the heaps of background infrastructure it needed to be able to do anything. when the carriers started offering their own bby services it was broken as poo poo and barely functioned and involved given them your account passwords if you wanted email or whatever

it was real bad in a technical sense

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

infernal machines posted:

blackberry was fine if you had one through work and it was someone else's problem to worry about bes/bas and the heaps of background infrastructure it needed to be able to do anything. when the carriers started offering their own bby services it was broken as poo poo and barely functioned and involved given them your account passwords if you wanted email or whatever

it was real bad in a technical sense

yup

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

yeeeep. it was a fun device for a specific subset of a specific market willing to monkey with their device. at least it wasn't a phone, so i couldn't make my primary communications device unusable

Agile Vector fucked around with this message at 20:20 on Aug 28, 2023

laserghost
Feb 12, 2014

trust me, I'm a cat.

I don't even know if this is the place to ask this but do refurbished ipads air make for good e-readers? I am looking for something which I can use to browse archive.org and read some old issues of Computer Touching Monthly in color

There is a surprising lot of ipad airs in quite affordable prices, with batteries at 60-80% capacity (lol) and maybe it's a good usage case for those? I have no idea what is the half-life of idevices

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

laserghost posted:

I don't even know if this is the place to ask this but do refurbished ipads air make for good e-readers? I am looking for something which I can use to browse archive.org and read some old issues of Computer Touching Monthly in color

There is a surprising lot of ipad airs in quite affordable prices, with batteries at 60-80% capacity (lol) and maybe it's a good usage case for those? I have no idea what is the half-life of idevices

depends on the refurb (apples are indistinguishable from new but more expensive) and the generation. but generally speaking your use case would work well.

one thing to keep an eye out for is that the batteries can fail non linearly so that you could end up with something that drops really quick. if you don’t mind keeping it plugged in a lot in those situations though it won’t matter

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

laserghost posted:

I wouldn't get anything older than an Air3.

Maybe an Air2 if it's really cheap.

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

laserghost posted:

keep in mind that if you ever buy an older refurbished device, security updates won't last as long as you hope they might

maybe this won't matter to you though

goblin week
Jan 26, 2019

Absolute clown.

mediaphage posted:

this reminds me when my spouse was in grad school he and one of his friends went to check out the new iphones and like one of her questions to the apple store dude was how to access the terminal and he just did not know what to do with her

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

ew

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

lmao that site is still up. looks like he only posts one a year now.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

google kills their pixel pass program that lets you get a new phone every two years after 22 months

https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2023/08/google-kills-two-year-pixel-pass-subscription-after-just-22-months/

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Endless Mike posted:

google kills their pixel pass program that lets you get a new phone every two years after 22 months

https://mastodon.social/@arstechnica/110979553228547354

outstanding move. perfect

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

the saddest part is that in two months they'll have a bunch of unwanted $1800 phones to give away

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Anroid.

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016
most people would interpret a promise to keep sending you pixels as a threat

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar
pixel passed away

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Endless Mike posted:

https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2023/08/google-kills-two-year-pixel-pass-subscription-after-just-22-months/

thoogle

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
a new phone every two years is far too infrequently for the kind of people who buy a pixel

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

The Management posted:

a new phone every two years is far too infrequently for the kind of people who buy a pixel

well you gotta have the best for your daily driver

salartarium
Sep 7, 2021
iMessage Games is Apple’s competitive moat.

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

The Management posted:

do they still stop supporting hardware after a year?

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

akadajet posted:

do they still stop supporting hardware after a year?

I think once they got their own chips instead of using Qualcomm they started offering a whole three years of support. of course it’s google so lol they’re not actually going to maintain a thing but yeah

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
how many google products have existed for three years?

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

oh, my, god. Becky, look at her bitrate.
i like how google continues to sell a discontinued product like its a new one with a lot of support and then oops your brand new product is now out of support

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

google doesn’t even make their own phones

and the only phone chips they make, as far as I know, are the tensor chips used for ai acceleration

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

to be fair, chromebooks when recently released tend to have decent support periods

but it really sucks when those same chromebooks are sold as new when they only have a year or less of support left

then again, I don’t pay much more than $100 for a chromebook so it’s ok

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

sb hermit posted:

google doesn’t even make their own phones

and the only phone chips they make, as far as I know, are the tensor chips used for ai acceleration

despite the name, the tensor chips are full phone SoCs made by google, kind of. it’s mostly a Samsung Exynos with some light modification by google.

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

sb hermit posted:

to be fair, chromebooks when recently released tend to have decent support periods

but it really sucks when those same chromebooks are sold as new when they only have a year or less of support left

then again, I don’t pay much more than $100 for a chromebook so it’s ok

at least they sort of offer unsupported updates by way of flex. though my tinker chromebook had the write screw removed for firmware modification and was wiped for a linux install, so that could have helped the process

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

The Management posted:

despite the name, the tensor chips are full phone SoCs made by google, kind of. it’s mostly a Samsung Exynos with some light modification by google.

yeah, samsung themselves are up to guaranteeing 4 years of updates now, which somewhat likely happened because the pixels force them to do the work anyway.

which is genuinely nice, the pace at which people were made insecure and/or stuff turned to ewaste was ridiculous. 4 years from release still isn't a lot (low-end models often for sale for several years), but at least in a slightly more sane realm.

Surprise T Rex
Apr 9, 2008

Dinosaur Gum

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

yeah, samsung themselves are up to guaranteeing 4 years of updates now, which somewhat likely happened because the pixels force them to do the work anyway.

which is genuinely nice, the pace at which people were made insecure and/or stuff turned to ewaste was ridiculous. 4 years from release still isn't a lot (low-end models often for sale for several years), but at least in a slightly more sane realm.

i used to upgrade every 2 years because otherwise there was a 0% chance of getting whatever the latest android version was, which usually fixed some major annoyance with the OS. swapped to using my wife's old iPhone XR from 2018 and it runs just fine in tyool 2023, and given that last year they only just discontinued support for the iphone 6, this is still probably going to get 2-4 more years of feature updates even now, nevermind security patches.

ios is still annoying in some ways but at least i don't have to upgrade each year to a more expensive phone that's just annoying in slightly different ways each time

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

mobby_6kl posted:

Also because the iphone is garbage as well.

It's cool and good to dunk on google for being a bunch of incompetent morons but I've had an iphone before and it was even more frustrating to use.

what a fail

Apr 7, 2003

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

I bought a Pixel just to see how it was

Returned that piece of poo poo immediately once I saw that Maps feeds you ads right in the search interface, talk about trash

Apr 7, 2003

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

I bought a Pixel just to see how it was

Returned that piece of poo poo immediately once I saw that Maps feeds you ads right in the search interface, talk about trash

buddy, you've posted here long enough to know it was trash before you bought it. you love that poo poo

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

it really is incredible that Google feeds ads to maps users in Android but doesn't in iOS. iOS users are much more valuable ad targets, but they've also got another option for maps.

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

Pinterest Mom posted:

it really is incredible that Google feeds ads to maps users in Android but doesn't in iOS. iOS users are much more valuable ad targets, but they've also got another option for maps.

google demanded this in iOS maps, which used the google maps api. so Apple decided to spend several billion dollars to make their own maps instead.

goblin week
Jan 26, 2019

Absolute clown.

dendroid.

Apr 7, 2003

akadajet posted:

buddy, you've posted here long enough to know it was trash before you bought it. you love that poo poo

You'd expect some kind of improvement in ten years though

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

why? it's a google product

can you name a google product that has improved in the last decade?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

I think android has actually improved over the last decade?

I’m not sure 2013 era android could’ve gotten worse but hey, you asked