Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Seemlar
Jun 18, 2002

Gaius Marius posted:

Why did 00 have a conditional renewal?

It didn't. It was a 50 episode show from day one with a planned split cour broadcast.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Seemlar posted:

It didn't. It was a 50 episode show from day one with a planned split cour broadcast.

Huh, I've heard differently. IBO really got hosed then

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Having Akihiro Hino flop in front of the entire country of Japan will do that to you.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Waffleman_ posted:

I can only genuinely come up with four things off the top of my head that have either been announced or are known to be in development.

Hathaway 2, Unicorn 2, the SEED movie, the Netflix movie and uh... the Build Metaverse miniseries?

Ojjeorago
Sep 21, 2008

I had a dream, too. It wasn't pleasant, though ... I dreamt I was a moron...
Gary’s Answer
The Netflix Gundam has nothing to do with actual Gundam development and is never happening anyways.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Oh right, Build and the Netflix movie, though the latter is out of Bamco's hands being a Legendary production. There's also Requiem for Vengeance, but that also seems to be partially outsourced.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
The Qubeley showed up in AC6 and it is kicking my rear end.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Zore posted:

Hathaway 2, Unicorn 2, the SEED movie, the Netflix movie and uh... the Build Metaverse miniseries?

They also have the ongoing mobile games with UC Engage and Urdr hunt, which have about 10 minutes of new animation every month, in addition to full VA.

Not as much as a full anime, but similar to some OVAs in production rate.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled
Split seasons was a weird trend back then. Code Geass did the same thing.

Seemlar
Jun 18, 2002

Gaius Marius posted:

https://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2007-09-01/gundam-00-previewed-before-15-000-in-28-japanese-areas

It's quaint given the current state of the industry but back then 00 was the first Gundam to be produced natively in HD, so they gave themselves some buffer time by deliberately alternating it's broadcast with a season of Geass in between

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Gaius Marius posted:

I mean, it got fifty episodes and enough time between seasons to adjust plans to extend things before reaching a version of the original ending. That's pretty far from nothing, even if it made the first season finale kind of awkward.

1st Stage Midboss
Oct 29, 2011

Gaius Marius posted:

It's impossible to look at the production of any post-2012 Gundam work without considering how they teamed up with one of the biggest names in highly marketable franchises and made a 49-episode flop. From the outside point of view AGE had every reason to be a smash hit, so it ending up like it did gives a massive incentive to not commit that hard to a new show again.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Sure, from a distance.

But if they'd paid any attention to his work they'd have realized Akihiro Hino was a terrible hack writer and this was a perfectly predictable result.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Runa posted:

Sure, from a distance.

But if they'd paid any attention to his work they'd have realized Akihiro Hino was a terrible hack writer and this was a perfectly predictable result.

A hack with a lot of successful projects, with the biggest hit still to come when Yokai Watch released. Plus, you know. We were just talking about SEED's massive success. Hard to tell in advance what kinds of work will catch on.

"Oh, I don't like his writing, so it's a guaranteed flop" isn't exactly guaranteed.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

chiasaur11 posted:

A hack with a lot of successful projects, with the biggest hit still to come when Yokai Watch released. Plus, you know. We were just talking about SEED's massive success. Hard to tell in advance what kinds of work will catch on.

"Oh, I don't like his writing, so it's a guaranteed flop" isn't exactly guaranteed.

Oh absolutely. But it did provide a key clue as to how Gundam AGE was going to fail.

Akihiro Hino's successes were all in media where his weaknesses as a writer could be shored up by his strengths as a businessman. This wasn't one of those situations.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Granted some of the worst writers in the world do manage to find phenomenal success. Like the Ready Player One guy.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

I do not want the csuite suits to start making decisions on what gets made based on their own opinions of what is and is not good writing if I'm being honest. I certainly don't trust them to have any good taste in that regard.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Shamelessly lifting it from Reddit because David Kaye having an argument with himself is worth it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ip8LWmmmAJw

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I think part of the problem with AGE is that it actually didn't even lean into what the series would be theoretically good at. Like the core concept of the series was "your machine gains data and gets a bunch of new toyetic forms that you can mix and match" and then they use it like three times outside of the video game. And the video game is so loving weird because it's similar enough but also different enough that it feels like what they wanted to make. (It's still bad, mind you, but at least it's only like Danball bad, not AGE's atrocity level bad.)

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

ImpAtom posted:

I think part of the problem with AGE is that it actually didn't even lean into what the series would be theoretically good at. Like the core concept of the series was "your machine gains data and gets a bunch of new toyetic forms that you can mix and match" and then they use it like three times outside of the video game. And the video game is so loving weird because it's similar enough but also different enough that it feels like what they wanted to make. (It's still bad, mind you, but at least it's only like Danball bad, not AGE's atrocity level bad.)

Making it three different Gundams instead of one Gundam that lasted the entire story also seems like a big thematic miss.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Gripweed posted:

You guys need to rewatch Seed, it's not bad. It's nowhere near as bad as you guys have built up in your heads.

My grudge against SEED is similar to my grudge against 00: for a very long time (or at least it felt like a very long time) every gundam game was like 50% SEED and 00 units, and it wasn't even usually like they were a lot of different units from the shows, it was like a million variants of the Strike Gundam and 00 when absolutely none of them were different enough to warrant including each and every variant; which was always a shame because both series do have some really cool designs that didn't always get a lot of attention. At least 00 was kind of funny to watch and had some other interesting designs. SEED was just kind of boring when it wasn't trying to be especially melodramatic and edgy and most of its non-gundam suits were "we have zaku at home".

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Battle assault 3 was such a let down

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

https://twitter.com/mobilesuitmia/status/1696965912950161463?s=20

can you loving imagine

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

How does an episode of Gundam X feel so long but also so empty

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
Posting from a page back but I really just want to mention that hating SEED does not constitute a personality the way some people seem to think that it does

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Nuebot posted:

My grudge against SEED is similar to my grudge against 00: for a very long time (or at least it felt like a very long time) every gundam game was like 50% SEED and 00 units, and it wasn't even usually like they were a lot of different units from the shows, it was like a million variants of the Strike Gundam and 00 when absolutely none of them were different enough to warrant including each and every variant; which was always a shame because both series do have some really cool designs that didn't always get a lot of attention. At least 00 was kind of funny to watch and had some other interesting designs. SEED was just kind of boring when it wasn't trying to be especially melodramatic and edgy and most of its non-gundam suits were "we have zaku at home".

I can't even imagine what Gundam game you mean that is nothing but SEED and 00. Even G Gen Overworld had a pretty healthy list from every series and I can't think of any other really big Gundam games that came out in that time frame.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

There were a few SEED-only or SEED-focused games that came out immediately after SEED, I guess? G Gen SEED was heavily focused on SEED(though it did have the standard G Gen unit access for the time), the Generation of CE games were obviously SEED only, there was a SEED-only battle assault game for the GBA of all things, another couple of SEED tie-in games...

But that was like, a three or four year period as they were trying to figure out how to capitalize on the first hugely successful Gundam series in ages.

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

SEED is fine, Destiny is bad, but neither deserves these character designs.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Not easily.

Kamille's an angry bundle of issues, but he's also a fundamentally moral person who breaks under the strain of morally shaky actions by just completely disconnecting from reality, not by going in for plotting and rationaliing like Char.

As for SEED, I've still got a lot of beef with it, but seeing more Gundam has dulled my dislike. It's below average, sure, ugly as well, and it's basically the original Gundam but less interesting, but it has (repetitive, stock footage filled) fights on a regular basis, has characters with motivations that aren't tossed out the window to allow retweetable cliffhangers to be ignored at the end of every episode, and the ending has some weight. I've now seen much worse Gundam through to the end, which makes SEED... still bad, but I don't dislike it so much now. Especially since the setting at least has a pretty solid 3 short episode OVA in it.

Seemlar
Jun 18, 2002

Waffleman_ posted:

How does an episode of Gundam X feel so long but also so empty

It becomes a little understandable after knowing it was directed by someone who directed half of the Brave series that were made. And that did not include the one that was actually good.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

CCA and Kamille just makes me think of that PS1 Gundam game where Char actually sees Kamille get brain fried and we can connect this to his heel turn in CCA. His protege and hopes for a grand Newtype future was just made a vegetable and Char never saw ZZ Gundam so he lost any faith he had in humanity and is now just trying to cause chaos.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

TheKingofSprings posted:

Posting from a page back but I really just want to mention that hating SEED does not constitute a personality the way some people seem to think that it does

The converse is also true

It's getting real tiresome having to wade through people pre-emptively making GBS threads on people who dislike SEED whenever it comes up

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I have no strong feelings one way or the other on SEED besides appreciating the Ocean Dub, laughing at the character designs, wincing at Kira's dying whale cry and sighing when Okawara made the laziest possible UC redesigns of Zeon suits pop up in Destiny. So mostly stuff that can be laughed at or appreciated separate from really discussing the show itself because to me its fine but mostly just there.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
cca was all about char, so a version that completely lacks char would be a completely different story.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

I always felt the "Gyunei was meant to be Kamille!" fanfics never made any sense. Kamille would be so violently opposed to what Char is doing in CCA that the only way to rope him along would be to completely brainwash him into a different person, which would defeat the point of it being Kamille. We also don't need any more "Char is a monster and here's the proof" bits, because Quess exists and also Char is trying to drop a giant rock on Earth to genocide humanity.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
i could maybe see kamille joining char after all the bullshit he went through in z. except, zz happened. he went down a different path.

Ojjeorago
Sep 21, 2008

I had a dream, too. It wasn't pleasant, though ... I dreamt I was a moron...
Gary’s Answer
A version of CCA where instead of Amuro, Hathway, and Quess in the Jeep, it's Judau and he kicks Char's rear end in that fistfight.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Ojjeorago posted:

A version of CCA where instead of Amuro, Hathway, and Quess in the Jeep, it's Judau and he kicks Char's rear end in that fistfight.

:hellyeah:

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

i could maybe see kamille joining char after all the bullshit he went through in z. except, zz happened. he went down a different path.

Kamille is so violently and personally opposed to pointless killing that he conjured a bunch of ghosts to manifest a sword made of pure anger to beat Yazan's rear end. There is no shot he'd hear Char say "so we're gonna kill 90% of earth's population with a rock to force them into space" and do anything besides launch himself at Char at the speed of sound to superman punch his head off, no matter how hosed up and corrupt the Federation is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vord
Oct 27, 2007
That's before Scirocco did his newtype whatever to Kamille. Who's to say what kind of person he'd be if Char had gotten to him in that state. Post Zeta Char could of easily had Kamille cyber newtyped up in an attempt to fix him.

Didn't Kamille also say at some point near the end of Zeta that he was prepared to die for Char?