Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: PoundSand)

Pingui
Jun 4, 2006

WTF?

NeonPunk posted:

Just like every bad political story, they're going to drop it this late afternoon right before when everyone is going to ignore the news because c'mon man, it's freaking Labor day weekend!

Woah hey! Conspiratorial much? Maybe the numbers are just so good that they want people to appreciate them through the whole extended weekend.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
I know you know how to do this.
Get up.

The Oldest Man posted:

a lotta ya'll still don't get it

pasc victims can use multiple fogs on a single brain
will slurp juices fix it

Zugzwang
Jan 2, 2005

You have a kind of sick desperation in your laugh.

Ramrod XTreme

Pingui posted:

This article indirectly raises and interesting point, namely that in regards to "of COVID" versus "with COVID", the "with COVID" hospitalizations would see a large drop compared to earlier waves, because hospitals are no longer testing everyone, but rather a small subset.

Regarding Biobot data, this is what they are talking about :

But by region that seems less like a leveling off, except in the South:

The winter 2020 surge was the worst one aside from BA.1, IIRC

Bruce Hussein Daddy
Dec 26, 2005

I testify that there is none worthy of worship except God and I testify that Muhammad is the Messenger of God

Nothus
Feb 22, 2001

Buglord
Look at all this immune debt from giving kids two months off.

mycomancy
Oct 16, 2016

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Hearty lol at the "general waning of public interest in testing at all". I wonder how that happened??

Koirhor
Jan 14, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

everytime I see a chart like this my brain just replays the scene from interstellar with the waves on that planet, just endless inescapable waves

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

Im so sorry you got attacked like that. People are awful. I wouldn’t say it was low risk, they definitely wanted to hurt you and that’s why there were two of them.

-snip-

skooma512 has issued a correction as of 16:20 on Sep 1, 2023

StratGoatCom
Aug 6, 2019

Our security is guaranteed by being able to melt the eyeballs of any other forum's denizens at 15 minutes notice

I would wager given the abandonment of NPIs, lack of infectiousness may not hinder it that much until folks hit the panic button. In fact, the degree of evasion of the coming booster and poor uptake will be more useful to it.

I would wager those articles we've been seeing may an attempt to prime the consent machine for just that.

Edit that Skooma, it's not worth lowering yourself for shitters like that.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

StratGoatCom posted:

I would wager given the abandonment of NPIs, lack of infectiousness may not hinder it that much until folks hit the panic button. In fact, the degree of evasion of the coming booster and poor uptake will be more useful to it.

I would wager those articles we've been seeing may an attempt to prime the consent machine for just that.

Edit that Skooma, it's not worth lowering yourself for shitters like that.

I understand what you’re saying, it just sucks that people can bully others and that’s acceptable (just try retaliating or even reporting it) but even talking about anything going the other way is a serious offense.

eta: I took it out. for those coming later, it wasn’t anything too spicy or specific

skooma512 has issued a correction as of 16:21 on Sep 1, 2023

StratGoatCom
Aug 6, 2019

Our security is guaranteed by being able to melt the eyeballs of any other forum's denizens at 15 minutes notice

Yeah, well, please leave it there.

Pingui
Jun 4, 2006

WTF?
For the filthy Euros out there:

Of course that doesn't mean we will have access to doses, but I would imagine our parents might.

Pingui
Jun 4, 2006

WTF?
Peripherally relevant, but cool poo poo if it works as advertised (it is not a thing yet, this is research):

https://www.euronews.com/next/2023/09/01/new-blood-test-for-parkinsons-could-help-doctors-to-detect-it-earlier posted:

New blood test for Parkinson’s could help doctors to detect it earlier
Researchers have developed a PCR assay to detect higher levels of mitochondrial DNA damage in blood cells.

Article proper: https://www.science.org/doi/10.1126/scitranslmed.abo1557

Pingui
Jun 4, 2006

WTF?
In other pandemic news:

https://www.france24.com/en/live-news/20230831-guatemala-declares-dengue-health-emergency posted:

Guatemala declares dengue health emergency
Guatemala on Thursday declared a national health emergency in the face of a dengue outbreak that has killed 22 and infected thousands so far this year.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

My rapid tests expired last week, but they’re all I got. Should I take a negative seriously if I do more than one?

Pingui
Jun 4, 2006

WTF?

skooma512 posted:

My rapid tests expired last week, but they’re all I got. Should I take a negative seriously if I do more than one?

Have you checked if they have extended expiration dates?

https://www.fda.gov/medical-devices/coronavirus-covid-19-and-medical-devices/home-otc-covid-19-diagnostic-tests

Pingui
Jun 4, 2006

WTF?

https://thehill.com/opinion/congress-blog/4181662-after-the-pandemic-ends-long-covid-still-needs-congressional-attention/ posted:

After the pandemic ends, long COVID still needs congressional attention
BY SENS. TIM KAINE (D-VA.) AND TODD YOUNG (R-IND.), AND FORMER SEN. JIM INHOFE (R-OKLA.)

After the formal end of the COVID-19 public health emergency in May, attention in Congress has largely been focused on priorities other than the pandemic. Thankfully, many Americans have been able to return to their pre-pandemic daily routines.
(..)

:hmmrona:

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:
https://twitter.com/realdonaldtrump/status/1279487627977252864

he was ahead of his time

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?

Platystemon posted:

It’s a good design. Air purifiers based on those little DC fans have significant noise/floor space/portability/energy advantages over box fan builds.

You’re paying like a hundred and fifty bucks for someone to package together some fans and a PSU and LASER cut some fiberboard, but if that’s something that you’d rather pay for than DIY, go for it.

good 120mm noctua fans are like $30 a piece anyway.

Bruce Hussein Daddy
Dec 26, 2005

I testify that there is none worthy of worship except God and I testify that Muhammad is the Messenger of God

Pingui posted:

In other pandemic news:

quote:

Dengue is a disease endemic to tropical areas

This means it's over.

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

someone introduce jojo to lazyb

SardonicTyrant posted:

This is the cycle of suffering you want to live in, actually.

Insanite
Aug 30, 2005

Bruce Hussein Daddy posted:

This means it's over.

the widespread adoption of endemic as "harmless" is a complete mindfuck to me

Bruce Hussein Daddy
Dec 26, 2005

Insanite posted:

It has "end" in it, it's right there :confuoot:

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

Insanite posted:

Rescue Toaster
Mar 13, 2003

DR FRASIER KRANG posted:

good 120mm noctua fans are like $30 a piece anyway.

I built a couple with those 140mm Arctic P14 fans that were suggested in CR circles a couple times. Expensive and I don't recommend because rather than a box fan white noise sound, they have a more annoying PC fan whine/warble that bothers me much more than just a box fan would.

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

SardonicTyrant posted:

This is the cycle of suffering you want to live in, actually.

The wheel of SamsAura ever turns

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

I hate that I've encountered multiple otherwise smart people who legitimately believe that this what endemic means

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

someone introduce jojo to lazyb

Tzen posted:

We Were 3.5 Years in Power: An American Tragedy

family took an international flight and got got
entire family positive
kids are mild, meanwhile myself+spouse got hit hard
using paxlovid and symptoms are gone
still going through the course so we'll see how things go
i'm sitting on another paxlovid course if need be

:theroni:

reported for hoarding medicine at the expense of orphans

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

Good shout. Mine is on there. Although the box I took to work doesn't expire until the end of this month even without the extension.

mazzi Chart Czar
Sep 24, 2005
Last week my cousin got hit. (Second time)
This week my aunt got hit.

Both are vaccinated. So they didn't come down hard.

When my cousin got hit, the first time, 2022, they also got hand foot mouth from their kid.

So mixing that with covid's blood clotting ability, I think it made this horrifying situation, where they described that feeling of pin-needle-numbness, like when your foot falls asleep. But throughout their whole body, and it didn't go away for two days.

mazzi Chart Czar has issued a correction as of 18:40 on Sep 1, 2023

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

has anyone used https://www.test2treat.org for tests or for telehealth? I haven't heard of this site before and I'm not sure if it's legit or not

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

my in-laws travelled to Ireland for a week and just got back. My father-in-law was experiencing "the worst cough of his life" on the plane back, unmasked. Mother-in-law observed that it seemed like everyone on the flight had the same cough for some reason.

Once they got back, my FIL got an instant positive, and my MIL is mercifully still negative and asymptomatic. My MIL still has Long COVID from her last bout over a year ago, so we're hoping she manages to dodge it somehow. My FIL will absolutely not take Pax or even consult a doctor, and my MIL is instead having to spend her time convincing FIL not to go out to restaurants :thumbsup:

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

gonna lol when my FIL returns to work on Tuesday and infects all his coworkers in U.S. intelligence

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

been told that COVID is over. are you sure these reactions are not just allergies or the result of lockdown weakened immune systems?

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

front page on cnn.com

top story:

https://www.cnn.com/2023/09/01/health/covid-case-data-wave/index.html

lol

Steve Yun has issued a correction as of 19:37 on Sep 1, 2023

Zugzwang
Jan 2, 2005

You have a kind of sick desperation in your laugh.

Ramrod XTreme

U-DO Burger posted:

my in-laws travelled to Ireland for a week and just got back. My father-in-law was experiencing "the worst cough of his life" on the plane back, unmasked. Mother-in-law observed that it seemed like everyone on the flight had the same cough for some reason.

Once they got back, my FIL got an instant positive

Zantie posted:

The babies of the babies that were having babies are having more babies.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?

Rescue Toaster posted:

I built a couple with those 140mm Arctic P14 fans that were suggested in CR circles a couple times. Expensive and I don't recommend because rather than a box fan white noise sound, they have a more annoying PC fan whine/warble that bothers me much more than just a box fan would.

that's why I'm saying you need to get noctua fans. they're dead silent but they're not cheap.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

U-DO Burger posted:

Once they got back, my FIL got an instant positive, and my MIL is mercifully still negative and asymptomatic. My MIL still has Long COVID from her last bout over a year ago, so we're hoping she manages to dodge it somehow. My FIL will absolutely not take Pax or even consult a doctor, and my MIL is instead having to spend her time convincing FIL not to go out to restaurants :thumbsup:

so weird, why is he testing positive for the Over and normal mild Chinese bioweapon

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pillowpants
Aug 5, 2006
It doesn't look like any variant is really taking off.