Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

SatoshiMiwa posted:

Gotta admit it feels completely on brand for Bandai Namco to follow up one of the more successful Gundam in years with a series of mind boggling decisions

Hathaway? Well, making movie 2 takes time, especially with how hard location shooting in Australia was. And making an AU makes sense, since those (in theory) can get a lot of new audiences interested in Gundam.

Sure, the whole thing was getting ratings worse than a random episode of Eden Zero by the end, but it sold plenty of Gunpla, so they probably don't regret making it that much.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Here we go with the loving G-Witch ratings again

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

chiasaur11 posted:

Hathaway? Well, making movie 2 takes time, especially with how hard location shooting in Australia was. And making an AU makes sense, since those (in theory) can get a lot of new audiences interested in Gundam.

Sure, the whole thing was getting ratings worse than a random episode of Eden Zero by the end, but it sold plenty of Gunpla, so they probably don't regret making it that much.

shut the gently caress up bitch

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Waffleman_ posted:

Here we go with the loving G-Witch ratings again

Look, if you say you like G Witch, whatever. It's a matter of taste. But if you say it's the most successful Gundam in years, then numbers come into play. And the ratings say that G Witch lost audience like crazy in season 2, despite the ending of season one spiking interest significantly.

Again, huge gunpla sales last year, and Aerial was a big part of it. But if you look at trendlines and sales for the big ticket items like Chogokin, it's clear why Bandai is pivoting so hard to SEED and the UC, despite Witch selling a ton of Gunpla and generally looking to have done what it was meant to do.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

chiasaur11 posted:

Bandai is pivoting so hard to SEED and the UC

feels kinda loaded, especially for UC since they always go back to that well.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

:cripes:

haypliss
Oct 2, 2022
Pivot to the development hell SEED movie that they had started to show off before Witch S2 aired, and the consistent UC film/OVA strategy they've done for over a decade.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

haypliss posted:

Pivot to the development hell SEED movie that they had started to show off before Witch S2 aired, and the consistent UC film/OVA strategy they've done for over a decade.

Yeah that's kinda what I was thinking too.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

alright everyone let's get a couple good dunks in about how you can't """pivot""" to things that were already announced before gwitch s1 and then can we move on to, idk, can someone explain to me what the gently caress "Gundam Build Metaverse" is

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Build Metaverse is some C-suite executive falling victim to VR and metaverse hype and whelp...

And good to see people ignoring actual real numbers and Bandai Namco saying Gwitch was a success to say it wasn't. Gotta live that

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
it's always the same person

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

SatoshiMiwa posted:

And good to see people ignoring actual real numbers and Bandai Namco saying Gwitch was a success to say it wasn't. Gotta live that

I'd call it up to interpretation myself.

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Waffleman_ posted:

I'd call it up to interpretation myself.

:aaa:

Booky
Feb 21, 2013

Chill Bug

why is it always about the ratings...

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

Every year is a cursed year for Gundam.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Is there any year that could be considered the nadir for Gundam?

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
0079, when one half of the human population died.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Arc Hammer posted:

Is there any year that could be considered the nadir for Gundam?

Some time in between the cancellation of X and the start of Seed, surely.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

I started posting in these threads in 2008 so that year is the worst for Gundam fandom by far.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Booky posted:

why is it always about the ratings...

It's because chiasaur11 is constantly grasping for excuses for his lovely behavior

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Witch from Mercury hit the top 10 ratings though a few times which only legacy shows, kids shows and Jump shows usually do!

Gripweed posted:

Some time in between the cancellation of X and the start of Seed, surely.

Eh we got Turn A shortly after whereas after Age failed it really felt like Gundam would just be UC nostalgia

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

I like Hathaway, a lot.

It absolutely did not have even remotely close to the cultural penetration, merch reach, and licensing power G-Witch did.

SatoshiMiwa posted:

Witch from Mercury hit the top 10 ratings though a few times which only legacy shows, kids shows and Jump shows usually do!

I can't understate how much of a big deal this is, it's like Demon Slayer managing to take the top spot over Sazae-san when it aired. (I still laugh when I think about how out of touch millennials didn't realize Demon Slayer was and is huge.)

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

I only know demon slayer is huge because I i see little kids wearing the shirts all the time.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

SatoshiMiwa posted:

Eh we got Turn A shortly after whereas after Age failed it really felt like Gundam would just be UC nostalgia

Oh yeah I forgot Turn A was after X. And there was literally almost exactly a year between the end of Age and the start of Build Fighters.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten
I swear Hot-san and Cool-san have more merch than Kudelia and Atra.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Chiasaur11 derided the show as having a female lead being driven by marketing when it was an incredibly risky move and as of yet unique among the marquee shows in the franchise. The writers and staff continued to push against the socially conservative line that bamco execs are trying to enforce, because that was the story they wanted to tell regardless of what "interpretation" the suits are trying to force.

Gaius Marius posted:

I only know demon slayer is huge because I i see little kids wearing the shirts all the time.

Yeah, exactly. When something gets so big that ordinary people are repping it or talking about it in large numbers, that's how you know you're dealing with a genuine hit.

G-Witch got so popular so quickly, and widely, that G-Witch fans got called "Gundam tourists."

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Runa posted:

Chiasaur11 derided the show as having a female lead being driven by marketing when it was an incredibly risky move and as of yet unique among the marquee shows in the franchise. The writers and staff continued to push against the socially conservative line that bamco execs are trying to enforce, because that was the story they wanted to tell regardless of what "interpretation" the suits are trying to force.

Yeah, exactly. When something gets so big that ordinary people are repping it or talking about it in large numbers, that's how you know you're dealing with a genuine hit.

G-Witch got so popular so quickly, and widely, that G-Witch fans got called "Gundam tourists."

But the ratings :byodood:

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Runa posted:

I said it was a marketing move because interviews with the producer said it was called in from above. The writer and director were hired with the only thing set in stone being the title and "This is the Gundam with a female lead, because we want something to sell to teenage girls who don't care about Gundam".

Only reason I say it is because, as best I can tell from interviews, it's the truth.

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Gaius Marius posted:

Demon Slayer is really good

uninterrupted
Jun 20, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
Hathaway was visually beautiful but all in all mediocre. Pretty action light, which left me trying to figure out if I missed something big in the plot or if it was just really bad.

Hathaway got Aneheim to give Mafty Xi Gundam on the moon, then had to go to earth to pick it up. he heads to earth on the plane filled w cabinet members because of his dad's connections. the plane just happens to be hijacked by people pretending to be Mafty?
He doesn't get picked up during the attack on Davao because of Gigi? Also after the attack he just leaves Davao, so the attack was pointless?
Hathaway said his mistake was to get on the plane with the cabinet members so he could see them before they die. So were the terrorists actually Mafty? Or was he planning on killing the cabinet members later? Was that what the attack was for?

Are the Hathaway novels well regarded? Because the movie is supposed to be a third of it, and I'd hate reading this.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
there was a decent, reasonable plan and then hathaway hosed it all up for his own self satisfaction. the rest of the movie is everyone including hathaway dealing with the fallout of his stupid bullshit.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

uninterrupted posted:

Hathaway was visually beautiful but all in all mediocre. Pretty action light, which left me trying to figure out if I missed something big in the plot or if it was just really bad.

Hathaway got Aneheim to give Mafty Xi Gundam on the moon, then had to go to earth to pick it up. he heads to earth on the plane filled w cabinet members because of his dad's connections. the plane just happens to be hijacked by people pretending to be Mafty?
He doesn't get picked up during the attack on Davao because of Gigi? Also after the attack he just leaves Davao, so the attack was pointless?
Hathaway said his mistake was to get on the plane with the cabinet members so he could see them before they die. So were the terrorists actually Mafty? Or was he planning on killing the cabinet members later? Was that what the attack was for?

Are the Hathaway novels well regarded? Because the movie is supposed to be a third of it, and I'd hate reading this.

Hathaway states the reason he was on that flight was that he wanted "one last look" at the people he was ordering a hit on. The attack on Davao was specifically to kill the people on that flight in a particularly spectacular manner. The fake Mafty attack was an unpleasant coincidence that also threatened Hathaway--he couldn't just out himself as Mafty there because witnesses, and if the hijackers got their way, the Davao attack would have taken on a different context. They were attempting to extract Hathaway during the attack because of the risk of having their leader in the middle of a combat zone, and the chaos would make it easier to cover tracks. Since they ended up going with the other plan, the Federation was able to track the seaplane which is why they had to abandon the hideout at the same time as they were picking up the Xi, and is also why the Penelope was even in the area to have that fight. Had things gone as planned, the Federation wouldn't have been alerted to activity in the area.

So in short:

1. Nope, the hijackers were unrelated
2. The Davao mission was already go, and was supposed to be a quick smash and grab. The problem is that Kenneth is a way more attentive and motivated commander than Kimberle, so instead of dealing with a lathargic local defense force, the Federation is actually competent and able to take out the attackers and capture Gelman. They still hit their target, but "the bombers will get through," blah blah.
3. Hathaway went off script because of Gigi, just like Quess before her. But he's grown enough to recognize the pattern now, which was the whole pep-talk he was giving himself in the Xi. His mistakes started with getting on the plane, and ended with taking the seaplane out of Davao.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Hathaway is grappling with his own morality as he commits terrorism. He's trying to have his cake and eat it too and it gets in the way of the plans going apace. The Davao attack would have gone ahead with or without the hijacking by a random group using the Mafty title and it likely still would have been intercepted by Penelope but it's an open question what the outcome would've been.

Anaheim gave Mafty a Gundam and gave the Federation a Gundam to pit against each other and convince the Federation that Anaheim is still the best bet for developing new top of the line mobile suits. The mainline Gundams that exist post-hathaway are almost entirely part of production lines built by SNRI, the Federation's skunkworks division to shed their reliance on spacenoid companies for weaponry.

uninterrupted
Jun 20, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
Wow that all makes sense. Maybe I'm just bad at watching movies with subs, but I missed a lot of that.

I didn't feel this lost with December Sky or Narrative (although Narrative's plot was pretty clunky and hit you over the head with the '"twist" about the Phenex's pilot like 5 minutes in).

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Arc Hammer posted:

Hathaway is grappling with his own morality as he commits terrorism. He's trying to have his cake and eat it too and it gets in the way of the plans going apace. The Davao attack would have gone ahead with or without the hijacking by a random group using the Mafty title and it likely still would have been intercepted by Penelope but it's an open question what the outcome would've been.

Anaheim gave Mafty a Gundam and gave the Federation a Gundam to pit against each other and convince the Federation that Anaheim is still the best bet for developing new top of the line mobile suits. The mainline Gundams that exist post-hathaway are almost entirely part of production lines built by SNRI, the Federation's skunkworks division to shed their reliance on spacenoid companies for weaponry.

It's worth pointing out that the Gustav Karl is the Federation's first step back into producing its weapons in-house since... what, Gryps? If you can call the Titans an "in house production team."

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

uninterrupted posted:

Wow that all makes sense. Maybe I'm just bad at watching movies with subs, but I missed a lot of that.

After Zeta always bet on Anaheim doing something scummy like supplying both sides of a conflict.

Gaius Marius posted:

I believe that the GMIII is actually EF in house, which means coincidentally that it losing the bid to the Jegan means the Jegan is the only non EF developed mass production grunt in UC.

And arguably the most successful mobile suit production line in UC history. Thing was in service for decades in a setting where Anaheim is making GBS threads out a new mobile suit every week.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

I believe that the GMIII is actually EF in house, which means coincidentally that it losing the bid to the Jegan means the Jegan is the only non EF developed mass production grunt in UC.

Edit: Anaheim is listed as the producer of the Javelin and Jamesgun, which seems wrong, unless they were subcontracted out to acutllay manufactre them.

Arc Hammer posted:

After Zeta always bet on Anaheim doing something scummy like supplying both sides of a conflict.

And arguably the most successful mobile suit production line in UC history. Thing was in service for decades in a setting where Anaheim is making GBS threads out a new mobile suit every week.

It is implied that they were the ones helping to bankroll the League Militare. So not totally awful.

They Heavygun totally slipped my mind, poor lad

Gaius Marius fucked around with this message at 02:26 on Sep 4, 2023

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

the gm iii doesn't count since it's not a wholesale new design like the jegan or the original GM

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine
Especially when a very sizable chunk of GM III's were upgraded from GM II and Nemo's, and some of those in turn had been upgraded from original model GM's

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

I'm positive there is production licensing that goes on in UC military procurement. When I talk about 'designs' I mean the R&D departments that actually blueprinted and tested the thing, not who owns the factories.