Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
The first one's weird because it's like they want to play up the "is it the doll killing people, or is it actually the boy?" angle and it absolutely does not work. They really stumbled into an iconic character and performance and the script wasn't written with that knowledge.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.

Baron von Eevl posted:

The first one's weird because it's like they want to play up the "is it the doll killing people, or is it actually the boy?" angle and it absolutely does not work. They really stumbled into an iconic character and performance and the script wasn't written with that knowledge.

That doesn't last that long though especially once the scene of the footprints in the flour happens.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Yeah the first film doesn’t actually hide what it is very long at all. We the audience know what’s up the whole time. Adults take awhile to figure it out but we’re watching Chucky murder people like half way through the film. People just seem to kind of misremember it or read too much into the grownups pov?

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!
The voodoo incantation that causes a massive explosion kinda tips it off from the getgo, lol. If Child's Play were made in the 70's, I could see it being a weird slow burn Roeg or Polanski type psych thriller, maybe along the lines of Magic. I'd kinda like to have seen that, but it never would've gotten a sequel, which means no Child's Play 2, and that's unacceptable..

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Origami Dali posted:

The military base setting is really what kills 3. Such a drab environment full of assholes. The amusement park at the end is super cool, but it's too little too late. Should've set the whole movie there and just done a Ghoulies 2 remake with Chucky.

It is repetitive but I get it. Like a big part of 1 and 2 is that if your kid is freaking the gently caress out maybe listen to them? So setting up the same general theme of how adults/the establishment suck poo poo I can see why the military school would be a good setting for that when it's at the point where Andy's just about an adult and more just resigned that he's going to be considered a lunatic by everyone. I used to be down on 3 but watching it more recently with friends as an adult we all still had a lot of fun with it.

Origami Dali posted:

The voodoo incantation that causes a massive explosion kinda tips it off from the getgo, lol. If Child's Play were made in the 70's, I could see it being a weird slow burn Roeg or Polanski type psych thriller, maybe along the lines of Magic. I'd kinda like to have seen that, but it never would've gotten a sequel, which means no Child's Play 2, and that's unacceptable..

I think people mix it up with 2 where there's a lot more of Chucky does some poo poo or moves something or whatever -----> Andy is blamed for it.

2 is so awesome, basically perfect.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

VROOM VROOM posted:

That is good ol A Spoonful of Sugar

YES THANK YOU

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Knock at the Cabin is frustratingly mid. I know why the ending is like that (tentpole director and wide release) and I also know that had it ended the way the book did I'd be just as mad at it. I think Shyamalan's faith works against him here; offering concrete proof is the worst thing you can do, because then of what value is faith?

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
Andy actually being the killer(or more specifically that Ray is possessing him) is like a red herring, the movie knows you're expecting a killer doll movie so it's just throwing another idea at you to plant a little seed of doubt and keep things interesting during the first act. It's not supposed to be a big twist but it's definitely there.

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

Origami Dali posted:

The military base setting is really what kills 3. Such a drab environment full of assholes. The amusement park at the end is super cool, but it's too little too late. Should've set the whole movie there and just done a Ghoulies 2 remake with Chucky.

This nails it for me. 3 is still a fine movie to watch, but the restrictiveness of the setting holds it back.

I saw the later ones completely out of order, but I really liked the addition of Fiona Dourif to the franchise.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
while child's play 2 is my favorite of the movies the tv series hands down just has everything else beat for me now. everything involving fiona dourif and jennifier tilly is the psychotic lesbian tv i need in my life.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

davidspackage posted:

This nails it for me. 3 is still a fine movie to watch, but the restrictiveness of the setting holds it back.

I saw the later ones completely out of order, but I really liked the addition of Fiona Dourif to the franchise.

The fact that they got Fiona in drag to play human Charles Lee Ray was a genius move.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

I never saw Seed so maybe I missed something. James from Dead Meat always talks about how the series prides itself on continuity and one big storyline from the original film all the way to now. But I distinctly recall at the end of Bride is Tiffany is like "we're monsters and should be dead. Also you're a piece of poo poo to me, Chucky."

So I'm not sure how we go from that to her being a happy accomplice in the Curse/Cult movies.

Erin M. Fiasco
Mar 21, 2013

Nothing's better than postin' in the morning!

Yeah you should watch Seed.

It's a gross out comedy version of a Chucky movie but it swings for the fences nonetheless and everything that the series does with it is great.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

STAC Goat posted:

Yeah the first film doesn’t actually hide what it is very long at all. We the audience know what’s up the whole time. Adults take awhile to figure it out but we’re watching Chucky murder people like half way through the film. People just seem to kind of misremember it or read too much into the grownups pov?

I think halfway is frustratingly long though. Like, evil doll that calls you a bitch and gives you the finger is kind of the series' core and dancing around that is like waiting to get to the fireworks factory. It'd be like a F13 movie where it cuts before each teenager gets got and then the other characters stand around going "no, Bill must have tripped and fallen face first on this axe. What a tragedy."

Erin M. Fiasco
Mar 21, 2013

Nothing's better than postin' in the morning!

oh so the first Friday the 13th then

Child's Play is great. The death scenes have incredible comic timing which is used to make great horror. It's a story about paranoia and feeling powerless in the face of something impossible, and as soon as the battery scene happens the adults are all in on helping Andy. It's good.

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

I just love how the human victims get surprisingly respectful treatment, you barely see any real gore etc., but then Chucky gets the absolute poo poo kicked out of him.

I've only seen through 3, but I'm curious how much more of a beating he can take

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Martman posted:

I just love how the human victims get surprisingly respectful treatment, you barely see any real gore etc., but then Chucky gets the absolute poo poo kicked out of him.

I've only seen through 3, but I'm curious how much more of a beating he can take

That's one reason I like the original movies, really. I don't like lots of gore and it seems like they go all in on the gore (for the humans) in Curse/Cult.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Baron von Eevl posted:

I think halfway is frustratingly long though. Like, evil doll that calls you a bitch and gives you the finger is kind of the series' core and dancing around that is like waiting to get to the fireworks factory. It'd be like a F13 movie where it cuts before each teenager gets got and then the other characters stand around going "no, Bill must have tripped and fallen face first on this axe. What a tragedy."

Its just playing the story more old school and honestly there's a lot of horrors and slashers and such that play their first act like that. I think the thing people are reacting to is that Chucky is this idea and larger than life character but he doesn't become that until 2. 1 is a much more old school spooky film that doesn't yet embrace the camp of the character. But its a really good spooky film, I'd say the platonic ideal of a killer doll horror. Its just obviously a lot more reserved than what it will become.

As I said, I get it. The Chucky series is diverse so everyone's favorites are gonna vary. I like spooky old school stuff more so 1 and Curse are some of my favorites. Meanwhile people who come for Chucky to slash up people and laugh and go nutso are definitely gonna be underwhelmed by that for 1. But I think the strength of this all is all this variety and I think 1 succeeds in making the film it sets out to make very well.

Martman posted:

Yeah there's a lot that sets Chucky apart from other slashers to me but the fact that the movies actually treat its victims as characters rather than fodder is a big one. If the movies were just Chucky slashing people ala F13 I'd be out.

STAC Goat fucked around with this message at 16:27 on Sep 3, 2023

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!
Yeah, the victims are, if not always fleshed out, then at least have a moment of humanity. And Chucky himself isn't a typical "slasher villain" either, he's like a pint-sized Richard Ramirez or some other grimy, creepy serial killer. The whole tone of the series would be a lot different if he stayed in Charles Lee Ray form and never became a foul-mouthed doll.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
That's all fair, and I don't think it's necessarily a huge problem, but it does make it a little weird when your only exposure to the franchise is this cultural osmosis version of Chucky. It's weird the way First Blood is weird if you're expecting Rambo 3.

I think the first F13 is a little different because it's still the slasher you expect it to be, it just ends up being someone you didn't expect doing the slashing.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Yeah, but First Blood is way better than "Rambo".

Like I said, I get it. If you come in expecting full off tilt Chucky then Child's Play ain't that. And some people are gonna react negatively to that. And specifically if you're waiting for Chucky to go off than the spooky little teases the first film gives you until the battery scene are gonna feel way too little. But I think it stands on its own merits and shouldn't be judged for not being what it hasn't become yet.

That's kind of a pet peeve of mine though. Judge stuff for what they are, not what you wish they were or expect them to be. That can be hard sometimes but it seems only fair to me.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
Again, not judging it, just saying that it's possibly going to be different than what the viewer will expect going in if they're going in fresh, trying to set that expectation.

That said, everyone is going to judge everything based on what they expect at least partly because that's how you interact with art and media. Horror especially is a little corner of that world built entirely on a big pile of cliches and tropes, and selectively choosing when to go in line with them and when to subvert them.

WeaponX
Jul 28, 2008

Man, First Blood rules.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

WeaponX posted:

Man, First Blood rules.

"Don't push it, or I'll give you a war you won't believe" is one of the hardest lines in cinema history.

And speaking of hard lines, the "We're friends to the end, remember?" "This IS the end, friend." exchange in Child's Play is one of my favourites of the entire series.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

The first Child’s Play might be a little slow but it’s worth it for that reveal scene. I love instead of doing some creepy haunting thing he just goes off and starts screaming at the mom

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.

Opopanax posted:

The first Child’s Play might be a little slow but it’s worth it for that reveal scene. I love instead of doing some creepy haunting thing he just goes off and starts screaming at the mom

Its the loving best "I'll teach you to gently caress with me!"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3lyx7UsMqmc

Hollismason fucked around with this message at 18:44 on Sep 3, 2023

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

WeaponX posted:

Man, First Blood rules.

Stallone wanted Rambo to die as he does in the book, as well. It was the studio that overruled him.

It's a shame that Stallone became an action hero, because he's a seriously good actor when you let him be one. He's got great comic timing and he can play dramatic roles as well. He's just made some absolute poo poo.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Opopanax posted:

Yeah. Because the film holds back for the first half means that when it finally goes all out with Chucky its so much more impactful. The battery scene is so drat good and wouldn't be without the buildup of everyone worrying about Andy and no one believing him about Chucky and then the mom goes "Wait a minute..."

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
New Nightmare is so goddamn good.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I love in the chucky series they build up these characters so you care about them despite how lovely they are and then they get the most spectacular death of all time

That’s loving cool man. It’s an honor to die in a great way in a horror movie

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Jedit posted:

Stallone wanted Rambo to die as he does in the book, as well. It was the studio that overruled him.

I'm glad they did, because 3 and Rambo are some schlocky rear end fun.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Hollismason posted:

New Nightmare is so goddamn good.

Shame they hosed up the Freddy Makeup in that one so bad, going for a demonic green instead of charbroiled kiddie murderer.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

As Above, So Below is on Prime, which I have currently. How bad is the bobbing and shakycam and running in near darkness? I can't do too much of it, need my FF closer to Grave Encounters than Blair Witch Project

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Shrecknet posted:

As Above, So Below is on Prime, which I have currently. How bad is the bobbing and shakycam and running in near darkness? I can't do too much of it, need my FF closer to Grave Encounters than Blair Witch Project

There is some shakiness but overall it's very clear and easy to follow.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

sigher posted:

I'm glad they did, because 3 and Rambo are some schlocky rear end fun.

4 and 5 are extremely racist in a way that ruins any fun to be had and 5 portrays sex trafficking in a way that’s blatantly meant to get a certain type of person off, so gently caress the rambo movies actually

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.

Shrecknet posted:

Shame they hosed up the Freddy Makeup in that one so bad, going for a demonic green instead of charbroiled kiddie murderer.

Nah the new Freddy make is loving good. I like the sweater with a black trenchcoat.

Nikumatic
Feb 13, 2012

a fantastic machine made of meat
As far as ambiguous gaslighting thrillers go, Resurrection is pretty good thanks to the leads (Rebecca Hall and Tom Roth) acting the hell out of it.

The Boogeyman was more effective than I expected; reminded me a lot of Lights Out minus the incredibly gross ending of that movie.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Babysitter Super Sleuth posted:

5 portrays sex trafficking in a way that’s blatantly meant to get a certain type of person off,

I don't remember that in the least, but I think I slept through most of 5.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS
Rambo 3 remains the best because he helps those noble heroes, the Taliban!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer

sigher posted:

I don't remember that in the least, but I think I slept through most of 5.

His adopted daughter got traffic'd so he had to drive down to Mexico and rescue her, but she dies of embarrassment on the way back to her home planet.

5 was all setup and finding an excuse to get an army of bad guys to assault Rambo's base so he could go all, well, Rambo on them. Not really worth it and doesn't add anything to the character IMO. If you can appreciate the gorey schlock of 4 you're pretty safe stopping there.