Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: skooma512)

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

euphronius posted:

the new monthly payment are (relatively) super low so they did that part I guess

forbearance forever would have been better

The 100 year mortgage, but for your sheepskin

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Apr 7, 2003

any young person who votes for Joe Biden after the cynical student loan forgiveness ride he took you on is a loving sucker

HallelujahLee
May 3, 2009

Justin Tyme posted:

I was shocked at prices when I went back to the Midwest for a funeral (coming from the east coast), prices were easily 20-30% lower. It's always been cheaper but having experienced inflation living out east it really made it that much more obvious

A fast food combo meal under $10! Wtf!

you're shocked that something is cheaper in a much cheaper area of the country that pays way way less than where your living why is this shocking

SardonicTyrant
Feb 26, 2016

BTICH IM A NEWT
熱くなれ夢みた明日を
必ずいつかつかまえる
走り出せ振り向くことなく
&

uninterrupted posted:

glad you made it back here after your last contribution cheerleading a cut to SNAP 😊
I can't even get back on snap right now because of all the new paperwork they suddenly want. And losing snap the last time led to a months long mental breakdown. It sucks being poor with how much people want to actually kill you for exisiting.

Apr 7, 2003

more in our local ongoing war against the unhoused

https://www.post-gazette.com/local/city/2023/09/06/pittsburgh-homeless-guidelines-encampments-unhoused/stories/202309050013

quote:

The new policy requires tents to stay 10 feet away from trails, sidewalks and other parts of the public way. It permits the city to remove tents if it finds evidence of crime like drug activity or violence or accumulated trash. If the city seeks to decommission for health or safety reasons, the policy creates provisions to warn people ahead of time — providing at least seven days' notice and requiring temporary storage of personal belongings found within 15 feet of a tent.

Some of those who work directly with the unhoused population say the rules will provide more privacy and cement what the city already does to assist people living in encampments. Others argue that the policy doesn’t safeguard unhoused people’s rights, forcing them to leave their homes when shelter beds and affordable housing options remain slim.

If your tent is visible from the 'public way' we're gonna gin up some drug justification and take your poo poo. This is actually good for you!

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

euphronius posted:

monthly payments are capped at a percentage of income so at some point they won’t keep rising

if you are in the IBR plan whatever it’s new name is

but as mentioned you are basically being tithed for 25 years

there isnt a stop on interest though so

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
I know you know how to do this.
Get up.

i am harry posted:

i'm not interested!!!!

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

i am harry posted:

right

it’s really hosed up

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

euphronius posted:

monthly payments are capped at a percentage of income so at some point they won’t keep rising

if you are in the IBR plan whatever it’s new name is

but as mentioned you are basically being tithed for 25 years

Don't people still owe the tax bill on the amount forgiven at the point that it gets forgiven? Isn't that an extra five figure kicker balloon payment at the end?

Then when you can't pay it you start paying interest to the IRS.

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

PoundSand posted:

I was more just curious what that 350 grocery bill that might not last a week looked like, a

A fat loving obese family of four-five garbage eaters clearly, there's no denying that part.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Twerk from Home posted:

Don't people still owe the tax bill on the amount forgiven at the point that it gets forgiven? Isn't that an extra five figure kicker balloon payment at the end?

Then when you can't pay it you start paying interest to the IRS.

not for pslf

I think for “regular” forgiveness yes. which is really sick because the forgiveness might be mostly accrued interest !!!

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

euphronius posted:

right

it’s really hosed up

anyone got 6% on 150,000?, because thats nine loving thousand dollars a year added on top every single year

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

try for pslf if you have that much

HallelujahLee
May 3, 2009

lol

webcams for christ
Nov 2, 2005

euphronius posted:

that or expatriation

spacemang_spliff
Nov 29, 2014

wide pickle

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

euphronius posted:

webcams for christ posted:

that or expatriation

I have 0 however my story is meaningless, the collective story about hundreds of thousands of children roped into lifetime debt through lies needs to not only be understood by everyone, it should be embraced as though it has happened to you.

i am harry has issued a correction as of 18:45 on Sep 6, 2023

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT

i am harry posted:

A fat loving obese family of four-five garbage eaters clearly, there's no denying that part.

"Jimmy Dean sahauuusagijjj.... Is fer Southern people..."

Maed
Aug 23, 2006

SKULL.GIF posted:

You've gotten a bunch of good answers, but it's also because the rentier class is collaborating with each other to drive up prices via a cartel. There's been articles on this, they collude via a shared app to make sure they're setting rent at the maximum possible in the market.

https://www.propublica.org/article/yieldstar-rent-increase-realpage-rent

I've been seeing ads for this on the subway lately, https://www.renthop.com/rentcompare I'm pretty sure it's another way for landlords to get rent info so they can all raise rents, how else are they gonna make money from it besides selling the data?

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY
America the final
https://twitter.com/LizAnnSonders/status/1699426487017918877?t=hSkv7T9UCmaHyFpd34rwWg&s=19

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?
My understanding is that the government is basically footing the bill on accrued interest, unless something has changed. So you're still technically paying interest under the new IDR rules, but any "extra" interest that your monthly payment (even if it's $0) doesn't cover gets paid by the government.

The new IDR plan has plenty of really good parts buried under a wildly complicated system that tries to create something like a 0% interest loan for low income people without changing much for higher income people, all while still technically burdening people with tens of thousands of dollars of debt for 25 years. The practical effects aren't bad, but the fact that this is at all a "solution" just exposes the absurdity of the whole thing and the cowardice of not pushing for full loan forgiveness.

Griz
May 21, 2001

Srice posted:

in the face of all this inflation, vegans stay winning

store wanted 3 bucks for a goddamn tomato

got 2 cans of rotel instead for cheaper

Buffer
May 6, 2007
I sometimes turn down sex and blowjobs from my girlfriend because I'm too busy posting in D&D. PS: She used my credit card to pay for this.
all he had to do was get a computer toucher to drop a database - it's not hard to ring a bell such that it's not physically possible to unring it

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

fed going to raise rates again lol

Apr 7, 2003

Maed posted:

I've been seeing ads for this on the subway lately, https://www.renthop.com/rentcompare I'm pretty sure it's another way for landlords to get rent info so they can all raise rents, how else are they gonna make money from it besides selling the data?

It's really cool that they're allowed to do poo poo like this because colluding on a computer isn't colluding. maybe we should update the laws

Apr 7, 2003

loving cursed

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.
A solid deal! Solid. Solid. 😄

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

Slow News Day posted:

Probably nobody in this thread is aware of this due to all the hooting and hollering, but the Biden administration, after having their loan forgiveness plan struct down by SCOTUS, still managed to do a lot to reduce the repayment burden: https://www.whitehouse.gov/briefing...s-of-borrowers/

🖕

ram dass in hell
Dec 29, 2019

:420::toot::420:

Slow News Day posted:

Probably nobody in this thread is aware of this due to all the hooting and hollering, but the Biden administration, after having their loan forgiveness plan struct down by SCOTUS, still managed to do a lot to reduce the repayment burden: https://www.whitehouse.gov/briefing...s-of-borrowers/

fake

Scarabrae
Oct 7, 2002

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

https://www.post-gazette.com/local/city/2023/09/06/pittsburgh-homeless-guidelines-encampments-unhoused/stories/202309050013

If your tent is visible from the 'public way' we're gonna gin up some drug justification and take your poo poo. This is actually good for you!

social distancing is back!

Second Hand Meat Mouth
Sep 12, 2001

Slow News Day posted:

wow saving borrowers a whole thousand dollars a year after both promising debt cancellation and raising the price of groceries more than that

good work

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

spacemang_spliff posted:

Is the "your student loan payment can be as low as $0" like the obamnacare ads that say "your monthly premium could be as low as $0"

its the democrats so i'm assuming yes

Those tropes both came from leon's lyin' piehole, lol.

eta: as in propagated itt, not that he devised them.

HallelujahLee
May 3, 2009

Willa Rogers posted:

Those tropes both came from leon's lyin' piehole, lol.

eta: as in propagated itt, not that he devised them.

thats why its pretty funny that they still get repeated here as some truth

Apr 7, 2003

even grandpas are noticing that these companies are stealing from them

Rectal Death Adept
Jun 20, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Second Hand Meat Mouth posted:

wow saving borrowers a whole thousand dollars a year after both promising debt cancellation and raising the price of groceries more than that

good work

I like how we got parlimentarian'd on the debt relief. Well poo poo our first and only attempt was shot down procedurally. Many are asking why we chose a stupid way that wouldn't survive the courts in the first place instead of trying literally anything else including several other suggested methods or usages of power available to the president.

Blame the supreme court! Vote Biden!!!

Oh also when we tried one time in one way to stop drilling and ended up mysteriously forced by the supreme court to issue record breaking amounts of permits there was literally nothing else that could ever be attempted. Blame the court! What do you want?! A loving dictator?!?! Someone that tries more than one time to do something?!?!?!

HallelujahLee
May 3, 2009

Rectal Death Adept posted:

Oh also when we tried one time in one way to stop drilling and ended up mysteriously forced by the supreme court to issue record breaking amounts of permits there was literally nothing else that could ever be attempted. Blame the court! What do you want?! A loving dictator?!?! Someone that tries more than one time to do something?!?!?!
this was seriously argued here by a psycho from dnd

Business Gorillas
Mar 11, 2009

:harambe:

Rectal Death Adept posted:

I like how we got parlimentarian'd on the debt relief. Well poo poo our first and only attempt was shot down procedurally. Many are asking why we chose a stupid way that wouldn't survive the courts in the first place instead of trying literally anything else including several other suggested methods or usages of power available to the president.

Blame the supreme court! Vote Biden!!!

🚽

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

HallelujahLee posted:

psycho from dnd

but you repeat yourself

Azuth0667
Sep 20, 2011

By the word of Zoroaster, no business decision is poor when it involves Ahura Mazda.

any young person who votes for Joe Biden after the cynical student loan forgiveness ride he took you on is a loving sucker

Yeah, that guy can get hosed and so can all the incrementalists.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Perhaps we could give the unhoused houses?