Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: PoundSand)

Pingui
Jun 4, 2006

WTF?
Slightly sooner than expected.

https://abcnews.go.com/Health/covid-19-booster-shots-expected-early-week/story?id=102943545 posted:

COVID-19 booster shots expected as early as next week
The shots are expected to protect against severe disease and death.

The upcoming COVID-19 booster is expected to be available in the United States as early as next week -- potentially as soon as Sept. 13 -- and is expected to protect against severe disease and death from currently circulating variants. First, the Food and Drug Administration is expected to authorize or approve the shots, which they have signaled they are likely to do within the next seven days. Next, the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention's independent panel of advisors is set to meet on Sept. 12 to provide a recommendation on who will be eligible for the shots. The CDC director is expected to sign off, with shots to be available soon after.

It remains to be seen who the advisers will recommend should receive the updated booster. Additional protection is especially important for those most at risk, such as those over 65 years old and those with immunocompromised conditions, experts say.
(..)

Still pretty wild to me that they haven't made the decision on eligibility yet. I also haven't seen much about how the privatization is supposed to work, so I can imagine a situation where the vaccine is technically available, but insurance coverage rules are lacking.

That said, I understand PPACA rules stipulate that marketplace insurance must cover preventive services like vaccinations, so that may be more of an issue for insurance companies, than the insured (the uninsured we already know will likely have to wait a month).

Edit: As a side note, I absolutely detest the amount of knowledge I have accumulated over the years about the US insurance and healthcare system. gently caress you USA, this poo poo sucks!

Pingui has issued a correction as of 13:28 on Sep 6, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
Oh poo poo I think I might have cockblocked my housemate because of face masks. He brought a girl home but when he saw that I was also home he hastily made her put on a mask without me saying anything. (We still have an agreement that any visitors to the house need to be masked in the common areas. They can do whatever they want in his room if the door is closed, that's none of my business.) We chatted for a bit and then they walked into the kitchen and I walked out into the backyard to work on some stuff but as soon as she thought I was out of sight she whipped the mask back off, even though I was just a few steps away through an open door. When I saw that she was inside the house unmasked I spoke up and went "Uh, if she's going to be unmasked inside the house we're going to need to have a discussion" and she pulled the mask back on, looking pretty annoyed. I went back to work on my chores and a few minutes later I heard the front gate slam as she left.

My housemate is in his room with the door closed, I'm sure I'll hear all about it later. :shrug:

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

The problem with Marianne Williamson is that she thinks Palestine deserves genocide at the hands of Israel, imo

Pingui
Jun 4, 2006

WTF?

Lib and let die posted:

The problem with Marianne Williamson is that she thinks Palestine deserves genocide at the hands of Israel, imo

Okay, but that post is about Paul Offit defining himself as anti-vax.

SardonicTyrant
Feb 26, 2016

BTICH IM A NEWT
熱くなれ夢みた明日を
必ずいつかつかまえる
走り出せ振り向くことなく
&

Platystemon posted:

Now it’s considered mad to care.
This has summed up the 2020s for me.

NeonPunk
Dec 21, 2020

Woah that's quite the large jump in the UK. Ba.2.86 might just have the legs to get going after all

https://twitter.com/JosetteSchoenma/status/1699373229276602833

Pingui
Jun 4, 2006

WTF?

NeonPunk posted:

Woah that's quite the large jump in the UK. Ba.2.86 might just have the legs to get going after all
(..)

Yeah, I mean this looks like a doubling rate each week at the very, very least:

The very least, because that is in global aggregate, while naturally that isn't how it spreads and sequencing is generally way behind or non-existent.

This is what I was afraid of with catching it very early; even at a weekly doubling rate it will take a good while to ramp up if you start at 4 and now everyone is out there saying it isn't a concern because it doesn't have a Reff of 10.

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Pingui posted:

Yeah, I mean this looks like a doubling rate each week at the very, very least:

The very least, because that is in global aggregate, while naturally that isn't how it spreads and sequencing is generally way behind or non-existent.

This is what I was afraid of with catching it very early; even at a weekly doubling rate it will take a good while to ramp up if you start at 4 and now everyone is out there saying it isn't a concern because it doesn't have a Reff of 10.

Yeah all I remember is learning about exponential growth by watching covid go from 'only a few cases' to 'holy poo poo its EVERYWHERE' in the space of like three weeks (coincidentially the same three weeks we shut down to 'stop the spread.')

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry
there's still time

Gunshow Poophole posted:

setting over/unders for September 15th:

uploaded sequenced cases of BA.2.86 at 1,000 by this date

predominance of BA.2.86 in the USA at large at 40%

Gunshow Poophole has issued a correction as of 15:05 on Sep 6, 2023

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
I know you know how to do this.
Get up.

*looks around living room*

no covid here

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

Oh poo poo I think I might have cockblocked my housemate because of face masks. He brought a girl home but when he saw that I was also home he hastily made her put on a mask without me saying anything. (We still have an agreement that any visitors to the house need to be masked in the common areas. They can do whatever they want in his room if the door is closed, that's none of my business.) We chatted for a bit and then they walked into the kitchen and I walked out into the backyard to work on some stuff but as soon as she thought I was out of sight she whipped the mask back off, even though I was just a few steps away through an open door. When I saw that she was inside the house unmasked I spoke up and went "Uh, if she's going to be unmasked inside the house we're going to need to have a discussion" and she pulled the mask back on, looking pretty annoyed. I went back to work on my chores and a few minutes later I heard the front gate slam as she left.

My housemate is in his room with the door closed, I'm sure I'll hear all about it later. :shrug:

lol

emgeejay
Dec 8, 2007

https://twitter.com/divalectics/status/1699436029042663518?s=46&t=m6fGiglUP1-mz5m0sRqpiw

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Alice what are you trying to say

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
https://twitter.com/DrEricDing/status/1699446086325117265

Why Am I So Tired
Sep 28, 2021
Newly Disabled LC Types

SardonicTyrant
Feb 26, 2016

BTICH IM A NEWT
熱くなれ夢みた明日を
必ずいつかつかまえる
走り出せ振り向くことなく
&

Why Am I So Tired posted:

Newly Disabled LC Types
The new line of sympathy cards from Hallmark.

Why Am I So Tired
Sep 28, 2021

SardonicTyrant posted:

The new line of sympathy cards from Hallmark.

lol

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry
the fact that covid is still talked about and in the discourse so much is all the evidence anyone needs that it's a huge loving problem. Jill Brandon has covid RIGHT NOW lol

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

quote:

the rate of LC is not 100%!!! jfc

... from a single infection

Why Am I So Tired
Sep 28, 2021
Got another infuriating email from my dad, I guess NPR is pushing "maskless for under 15 minutes is safe" again? :hmmrona:

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

Got another infuriating email from my dad, I guess NPR is pushing "maskless for under 15 minutes is safe" again? :hmmrona:

if you say something definitive that hurts capital and you're wrong even a little bit your career is over

gotta hedge hedge hedge

nexous
Jan 14, 2003

I just want to be pure

this might explain dick nosing. just pop your mask up over your nose for 1 minute every 14 minutes. rules lawered that dumb virus

StratGoatCom
Aug 6, 2019

Our security is guaranteed by being able to melt the eyeballs of any other forum's denizens at 15 minutes notice

Christ, Alice is the epitomy of dipshit.

StratGoatCom has issued a correction as of 17:06 on Sep 6, 2023

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

Going to be incredible if they gatekeep the booster again only to get owned a second time by ba.2.86 or one of its descendants and have to reverse course

nexous
Jan 14, 2003

I just want to be pure

The Oldest Man posted:

Going to be incredible if they gatekeep the booster again only to get owned a second time by ba.2.86 or one of its descendants and have to reverse course

Loved the "ask for a XXL shot of the flu vax, but don't bother with covid" messaging.

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!
Bread Liar
so when is this new god drat shot going to be widely available

Pingui
Jun 4, 2006

WTF?

Louisgod posted:

We don't know, but 13 September at the earliest.

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

Louisgod posted:

Probably right after it becomes impossible to conceal the hospitals overflowing would be my guess

dxt
Mar 27, 2004
METAL DISCHARGE

Louisgod posted:

Not until after the most commonly spreading variants evolve around any immunity gained from the shot.

Bruce Hussein Daddy
Dec 26, 2005

I testify that there is none worthy of worship except God and I testify that Muhammad is the Messenger of God
lol Asheville

Bruce Hussein Daddy
Dec 26, 2005

I testify that there is none worthy of worship except God and I testify that Muhammad is the Messenger of God
lmao whole state

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry
so this wave started slowly kicking off like, 10 weeks ago? what was the old average # of days from trough to trough calculation for waves, wasn't it like 140?

CoasterMaster
Aug 13, 2003

The Emperor of the Rides

Nap Ghost

GATOS Y VATOS posted:

$55 PER TEST what the gently caress

It's sliiggghhtttlllyyy better with a sale now. You can buy a pack of 10 tests + reader for $300, but the catch is that the tests expire in 1.5 - 3 months instead of their usual (6+ months? I think?)

https://shop.cuehealth.com/collections/sale

Still expensive, but better

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!
Bread Liar

The Oldest Man posted:

Probably right after it becomes impossible to conceal the hospitals overflowing would be my guess

dxt posted:

Not until after the most commonly spreading variants evolve around any immunity gained from the shot.

greatest country in the world!!

NeonPunk
Dec 21, 2020

I think I see the game plan for this season. Pushing the "the XBB antibodies will work on Pirola!" and getting the shots out quicker to everyone just means that when people starts to get sick and the hospitals get filled up, they can fall back on "why didn't you get your shot? It was your personal responsibility to keep up with the Covid boosters!" And so nothing has to change

CoasterMaster
Aug 13, 2003

The Emperor of the Rides

Nap Ghost

Not 100% out of the woods yet, but laying low and testing after PAX West this weekend even though I have no symptoms. Wore my flo mask 100% of the time inside and only ate with people sitting outside. Masking was "recommended" at the event, but there were more masks than I expected....still only 5-10% masked, but more than I thought.

CoasterMaster has issued a correction as of 18:42 on Sep 6, 2023

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Lowering expectations ftw.

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

NeonPunk posted:

I think I see the game plan for this season. Pushing the "the XBB antibodies will work on Pirola!" and getting the shots out quicker to everyone just means that when people starts to get sick and the hospitals get filled up, they can fall back on "why didn't you get your shot? It was your personal responsibility to keep up with the Covid boosters!" And so nothing has to change

The reason they're doing a cost benefit analysis is because the government isn't bulk buying the shots anymore and since our healthcare system is run by hospital administrators and insurance executives, The Science has to change and fast

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Also if you pull out in under 2 minutes of ejaculating inside your partner's vagina, she definitely won't get pregnant.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bobtheconqueror
May 10, 2005

NeonPunk posted:

My expectation is that they restrict it to old and immune compromised folks, only make enough, but also push that group heavily, so when there's decent uptake they can claim victory against the virus instead of last year's what, like 14% vaccine uptake?