Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rockstar Massacre
Mar 2, 2009

i only have a crazy life
because i make risky decisions
from a position of
unreasonable self-confidence
up until Rise entered the plot i feel very much like Persona 4 had the most lifelike and believable cast, it's just a shame they had to live the life of anime schoolchildren as written by men who hadn't been young for a generation

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

disposablewords
Sep 12, 2021

Endorph posted:

the only thing persona 4 manages to actively say is 'no fat chicks' yeah

Nah, it also wants you to know that friendship is important, and will work you over with brass knuckles and steel-toed boots to make sure you understand that. Also something something "face the truth as long as it complies with societal expectations," I think?

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
if Troy Baker, who is bi, says Kanji is bi, then I'm agreeing with Troy Baker over the text

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
i mean that's fine but that's a separate conversation from whether persona 4 should be viciously torn apart for treating its own cast very disposably and without proper ability to empathize with the possible depths of the personal conflicts it lays down for them

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Junpei posted:

if Troy Baker, who is bi, says Kanji is bi, then I'm agreeing with Troy Baker over the text

A dub voice actor doesn't have much control over the text though. Like I don't even disagree with that interpretation but it's a bit odd to take that as word of god.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
aleks le has ushered in a new era

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Junpei posted:

https://twitter.com/TroyBakerVA/status/1481869350621437955

does kanji also endorse NFTs

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Junpei posted:

I'm gay and trans and I say the whole persona 4 cast sucks rear end. Except Ai.

But especially Rise.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

i like the p4 cast as vague concepts that arent in persona 4

Neeksy
Mar 29, 2007

Hej min vän, hur står det till?

The Colonel posted:

i mean that's fine but that's a separate conversation from whether persona 4 should be viciously torn apart for treating its own cast very disposably and without proper ability to empathize with the possible depths of the personal conflicts it lays down for them

it squanders its potential themes for shallow titillation, which is something I could argue happens to most of them.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

yes

disposablewords
Sep 12, 2021

Endorph posted:

does kanji also endorse NFTs

He is all about those Nice loving Textiles, yeah.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem
As long as you're not shilling crypto in 2023 I'm fine sweeping the nft fad under the rug.

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!

mycot posted:

As long as you're not shilling crypto in 2023 I'm fine sweeping the nft fad under the rug.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

I liked Rise.

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
yeah sometimes I feel like some people stepped out of a parallel world where every word that came out of Yosuke's mouth was a homophobic slur or something because I still find the 4 cast charming and likable and cool and funny and stuff.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

I think 4s cast is Fine. I liked Rise.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

Snooze Cruise posted:

its called riverdale

It's called Bad Machinery

Neeksy
Mar 29, 2007

Hej min vän, hur står det till?
I dunno if the english dub actor's sexual orientation or personal interpretation of the character are what I'd call great textual evidence, but people are free to have their own take on things.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Octopath Traveler 2 is not a good enough game to distract me from how embarrassingly bad Sky Express airlines is, which is my new and most urgent rating system.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Junpei posted:

yeah sometimes I feel like some people stepped out of a parallel world where every word that came out of Yosuke's mouth was a homophobic slur or something because I still find the 4 cast charming and likable and cool and funny and stuff.

I liked Persona 4 but I do think game makes some lame homophobic jokes that bring it down. I hold it more against the game than against Yosuke though.

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!

SyntheticPolygon posted:

I liked Persona 4 but I do think game makes some lame homophobic jokes that bring it down. I hold it more against the game than against Yosuke though.

oh yeah not meaning to imply there aren't Problems. there are.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

id like the game more if yosuke had just said homophobic slurs tbh

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

I don't think I would

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!

Endorph posted:

id like the game more if yosuke had just said homophobic slurs tbh

reminded of a tiktok i saw where there was text on screen saying "so do you prefer 'm'theydy' or 'gentlethem' more?" and the NB person on screen replied "I'd honestly you rather call me a slur?"

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Junpei posted:

reminded of a tiktok i saw where there was text on screen saying "so do you prefer 'm'theydy' or 'gentlethem' more?" and the NB person on screen replied "I'd honestly you rather call me a slur?"

absolutely.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
yosuke isn't a character who spends all his time in 100% homophobic mode but a lot of the same scenes where he's acting that way towards kanji also align with scenes of him being an unbearably awful friend to chie and yukiko, and that's not really something the text depicts him, like. growing out of. nor does it really allow you as the player to not basically agree with some of the worst of his behavior when he's committing to it. the fact that this all also happens after he already at the beginning of the game had a realization about his own flaws and immaturity as a person, makes it hard to actually like him when you consider the whole of how he's written.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

So in my haste to get excited about the Hymn to the Earless God Kickstarter I somehow missed that they put up a demo.

I like it, there's not much there, just an opening and one area for one character, and just an area for another. But it's enough to be interested in the little mechanics that are being setup, like having a whole area being you at low health trying to devour enemies just to survive and tricking other enemies into eating poison corpses.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

Taear posted:

It's called Bad Machinery

it hurts my feelings when people say a thing in line with what i did, but better and smarter :'(

MechaX
Nov 19, 2011

"Let's be positive! Let's start a fire!"
Honestly I wish the game allowed me to pose a few questions on the class trip on how and why Yosuke bought swim suits for both of the women in the party despite not being sure they would even have the opportunity to swim at all, let alone guilt tripping them into wearing them

Zinkraptor
Apr 24, 2012

Phantasium posted:

So in my haste to get excited about the Hymn to the Earless God Kickstarter I somehow missed that they put up a demo.

I like it, there's not much there, just an opening and one area for one character, and just an area for another. But it's enough to be interested in the little mechanics that are being setup, like having a whole area being you at low health trying to devour enemies just to survive and tricking other enemies into eating poison corpses.

Yeah, since the demo is just the very beginning of two character's story it's difficult to get an idea of what the gameplay will be like later in the game. That said, the mechanics that were there seem to have potential and I liked what little I saw, but I am still skeptical they'll be able to meet the kickstarter goal.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

MechaX posted:

Honestly I wish the game allowed me to pose a few questions on the class trip on how and why Yosuke bought swim suits for both of the women in the party despite not being sure they would even have the opportunity to swim at all, let alone guilt tripping them into wearing them
the answer is the writers are for some reason incredibly bad at just having this group of friends hang out for fun and instead need to awkwardly engineer stupid situations for them to be forced into, because persona 4 has a weirdly mean sense of humor. like im not shaking crying about it being too awful to the characters or w/e but for a game thats meant to be about facing the truth and finding community in this small town its weird that the only comedy notes it knows how to hit involve somebody getting publicly humliated and/or urinated on.

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:

Inspector Gesicht posted:

Party Members Nobody Used:

Kongol, The Legend of Dragoon. Dogshit slow in a game where speed matters

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
i liked dojima and nanako

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
*bravely* and marie

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream
Persona 4 is a game that needed some Dudes Rock energy and it had 0.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Countblanc posted:

aleks le has ushered in a new era

Aleks Le owns

https://twitter.com/AleksLeVO/status/1699134550356680794

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

fridge corn posted:

Kongol, The Legend of Dragoon. Dogshit slow in a game where speed matters

I used him. Pursuit!! Classic poo poo.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

Barudak posted:

Octopath Traveler 2 is not a good enough game to distract me from how embarrassingly bad Sky Express airlines is, which is my new and most urgent rating system.

I'm kinda surprised how many people absolutely love it. To me it feels like reading 8 books at the same time chapter by chapter but I can't just finish ONE book at a time

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:
Octopath Traveler 2 owns so much