Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
how long does trump go to jail for?
life
no jail time
elected president from a jail cell
goku
View Results

AxGrap
Jan 11, 2005

☝☯ Ŧ𝓤𝒸Ҝ 𝓨𝕠𝔲! 🐼👽

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

They're actually downloading music on Napster now

Everyone is rizzing to the Phish cover of Gin and Juice

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr_0ctag0n
Apr 25, 2015

The whole human race
sentenced
to
burn

petit choux posted:

You have a point. There are still little local rock and roll hangouts in probably the usual places. We have a skate shop around here that serves as the only punk venue in the area, it's like the only place with a semblance of a music scene around here. I haven't been to it, I think my thrashing days are done, I dunno.

I'm probably spoiled by being raised in Memphis and moving near Nashville later since there's literally like a dozen venues with shows going almost every single day for just about every genre of music in both those cities. Maybe everyone just avoids Pittsburgh because of the noxious fentanyl cloud.

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

AxGrap posted:

Too early to be rizzin

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

One time i prank called a bear buildin workshop and said I wanted my mamaws ashes put in a teddy from where she loved them things so well... The woman on the phone did not skip a beat. She just said, "Brang her on down here. We've did it before."

petit choux posted:

Too early to be rizzin

That's the title of the newest Phish album

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

Dr_0ctag0n posted:

I'm probably spoiled by being raised in Memphis and moving near Nashville later since there's literally like a dozen venues with shows going almost every single day for just about every genre of music in both those cities. Maybe everyone just avoids Pittsburgh because of the noxious fentanyl cloud.

Memphis and Nashville are both smaller cities than Pittsburgh

Hatebag
Jun 17, 2008

went and saw the old mario movie last night. god drat dennis hopper is hilarious in it. he's having a fuckin blast

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nuBpAav8Uhc

AxGrap
Jan 11, 2005

☝☯ Ŧ𝓤𝒸Ҝ 𝓨𝕠𝔲! 🐼👽
All the all ages punk venues I went to as a kid are shut down, or bullied out of existence by the police I think. They might still do all ages shows at the VFW basement.

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

Dr_0ctag0n posted:

When I lived in Chicago in the 80s the music scene was phenomenal. So I can relate.

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

AxGrap posted:

All the all ages punk venues I went to as a kid are shut down, or bullied out of existence by the police I think. They might still do all ages shows at the VFW basement.

The skate shop is in a little space next to a record store, and the record store owner is the son of the former sheriff. I sorta suspect a lot of those type places nowadays are discreetly designated safe spaces for kids to blow off steam.

Apr 7, 2003

man who is represented in the senate by Marsha Blackburn explains to northeasterner how things are actually done in the city

Real Mean Queen
Jun 2, 2004

Zesty.

Dr_0ctag0n posted:

Lol imagine thinking some online ticket site is where young people are looking for local musical entertainment.

lol yeah when I was a kid you couldn't really see advertisements or pre-buy tickets for most of the shows I went to. A lot of them weren't even in what you'd really call venues, lots of backyards and basements

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

man who is represented in the senate by Marsha Blackburn explains to northeasterner how things are actually done in the city

lifetime bitch

The Nastier Nate
May 22, 2005

All aboard the corona bus!

HONK! HONK!

Yams Fan

New Jerseyians are too dumb to be trusted to make left turns or pump their own gas

emfive
Aug 6, 2011

Hey emfive, this is Alec. I am glad you like the mummy eating the bowl of shitty pasta with a can of 'parm.' I made that image for you way back when. I’m glad you enjoy it.

there are no small venues anymore and livenation owns everything, lmao

?? Eric Clapton isn't playing the 10' square stage at the local pizza place but yea there are small venues

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

pft are the homeless camps on grant street the thing the hotdog guy was complaining about

there is a huge one there now I jsut drove by

Dr_0ctag0n
Apr 25, 2015

The whole human race
sentenced
to
burn

Real Mean Queen posted:

lol yeah when I was a kid you couldn't really see advertisements or pre-buy tickets for most of the shows I went to. A lot of them weren't even in what you'd really call venues, lots of backyards and basements

There was a house 'venue' that had shows near campus called the "fortress of solid dudes" lol

AxGrap
Jan 11, 2005

☝☯ Ŧ𝓤𝒸Ҝ 𝓨𝕠𝔲! 🐼👽
The kids probably have musical styles we are not hip to yet, and drugs that our old brains are too hardwired to experience correctly. They are experiencing everything for the first time, imbuing every moment with meaning beyond our calcified understanding.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

they are not imbibing it with meaning which is the best part

there perception is not clouded by 40 years of thought forms

a.lo
Sep 12, 2009

https://twitter.com/wario64/status/1699854970911355192?s=46&t=A16sW12emsJJxXTfyV0WUA

Beached Whale
Jun 27, 2009

The world as will and idea
There are tons of small live venues in Pittsburgh, they often only post shows on Instagram or outside channels. I'm constantly going to stuff around here it's absolutely bumping if you know the right folks. The best party runs til 7am and is filled with sweaty guys in puppy masks sniffing poppers dancing to thumping techno music.

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

AxGrap posted:

The kids probably have musical styles we are not hip to yet, and drugs that our old brains are too hardwired to experience correctly. They are experiencing everything for the first time, imbuing every moment with meaning beyond our calcified understanding.

Yeah well don't go assuming that bands playing on stages is like some kind of eternal constant. Lots of people are doing things that are outside that lovely little 20th century paradigm.

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

jughandles ftw

Bearjew
Apr 18, 2017

AxGrap posted:

that was The Gourds, not Phish

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

euphronius posted:

they are not imbibing it with meaning which is the best part

there perception is not clouded by 40 years of thought forms

Imbuing, maybe

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

The Nastier Nate posted:

New Jerseyians are too dumb to be trusted to make left turns or pump their own gas

historically its because of make work jobs for the mob, but now everyone is too accustomed too it and too dumb to change

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

Bearjew posted:

that was The Gourds, not Phish

Apr 7, 2003

euphronius posted:

pft are the homeless camps on grant street the thing the hotdog guy was complaining about

there is a huge one there now I jsut drove by

The hot dog guy wants them pushed into a hole somewhere so he doesn't have to look at them

The hot dog guy has no more right to public spaces than the homeless do and he can go gently caress himself

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

The hot dog guy wants them pushed into a hole somewhere so he doesn't have to look at them

The hot dog guy has no more right to public spaces than the homeless do and he can go gently caress himself

I agree

just was wondering

Apr 7, 2003

The hot dog guy in question got a valuable resource for the homeless shut down by having his friends in media astroturf for months about how the homeless were ruining the city

Bethamphetamine
Oct 29, 2012

Thank you, Colonel Musk. Your grasp of warfare and tactics has saved the day

https://twitter.com/RonFilipkowski/status/1699978767177756871

Real Mean Queen
Jun 2, 2004

Zesty.

Dr_0ctag0n posted:

There was a house 'venue' that had shows near campus called the "fortress of solid dudes" lol

A+

I have no idea what the all ages scene looks like these days and it's really none of my business, I accidentally ended up at a house show like five years ago so I'm guessing they still happen

Bethamphetamine
Oct 29, 2012

TROOF

I can’t believe that these Fascist Monsters have so viciously gone after the great Peter Navarro for defying the totally partisan January 6th Unselect Committee of political Hacks and Thugs, who refused to go after Crazy Nancy Pelosi, and the reasons she and the Mayor of D.C. REJECTED 10,000 soldiers, which would have easily stopped any future security problem. His testimony wouldn’t have mattered, anyway, because the “Committee” QUICKLY and ILLEGALLY DELETED & DESTROYED ALL EVIDENCE & FINDINGS!

Plinkey
Aug 4, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

40 year old man still thinks kids have it like he did or that skate parks still exist

there's one like a mile from my apartment in the park, next to the public pool, around the rec center

UFOTacoMan
Sep 22, 2005

Thanks easter bunny!
bok bok!

DrPossum posted:

quote if it is friday for you too

Apr 7, 2003

The same media apparatus here that was used to get homeless resources shut down is now actively trying to get public transit destroyed, very cool

https://www.post-gazette.com/news/transportation/2023/09/08/pittsburgh-regional-transit-budget-ridership-federal-funds/stories/202309080067

quote:

The Allegheny Policy Institute argued that Pittsburgh’s light-rail costs are 25% above the national average, as The Center Square previously reported, with the city’s light-rail system resembling San Jose and Los Angeles more than similarly sized cities.

"Our light rail is pretty good for a city of our size and that's why it must be shut down," says smartypants public policy think tank

Apr 7, 2003

Plinkey posted:

there's one like a mile from my apartment in the park, next to the public pool, around the rec center

That's not a skate park, that's a pile of plywood someone left lying around

magiccarpet
Jan 3, 2005

in my day a skate park was a bank drive thru and a bar of wax

Plinkey
Aug 4, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

That's not a skate park, that's a pile of plywood someone left lying around

you can always just admit that you're wrong

Apr 7, 2003

Plinkey posted:

you can always just admit that you're wrong

if that's a skate park then my driveway is a velodrome

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

Bethamphetamine posted:

TROOF

I can’t believe that these Fascist Monsters have so viciously gone after the great Peter Navarro for defying the totally partisan January 6th Unselect Committee of political Hacks and Thugs, who refused to go after Crazy Nancy Pelosi, and the reasons she and the Mayor of D.C. REJECTED 10,000 soldiers, which would have easily stopped any future security problem. His testimony wouldn’t have mattered, anyway, because the “Committee” QUICKLY and ILLEGALLY DELETED & DESTROYED ALL EVIDENCE & FINDINGS!

Which coincidentally will be where all the evidence of his innocence went. Man I hope we get some real John Galt moment with him before he kacks it.