Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: weg, Toxic Mental)

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

I wouldn't put it past poland

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

WE GET IT. YOU LOVE GUN JESUS. Toujours des fusils Bullpup Français.

PinheadSlim posted:

Played too much Skyrim and think that if you accidentally kick someones chicken the entire town will murder your rear end

Just don't shout at someone's table...or else bad things will happen.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fkRivhdnFII

Shouting at Putin's table and getting gulaged

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

We’re way ahead of Russia in the tire-plane race

PainterofCrap fucked around with this message at 18:27 on Sep 8, 2023

tiaz
Jul 1, 2004

PICK UP THAT PRESENT.

Zelensky's Zealots

PainterofCrap posted:

We’re way ahead of Russia in the tire-plane race

putting my engine as far from the centers of gravity and lift as possible

ME: wow, what's your workout routine?
PILOT WITH ARMS LIKE HE'S SMUGGLING CANTELOUPES IN THERE: my what?

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

dennyk posted:

For some reason some people keep thinking real-world geopolitics work like some sort of 4X video game and are baffled when NATO doesn't go all Ghandi and launch the nukes because one random Russian drone crashed one pixel over the border of a NATO country.
I'm just disappointed, I know we could do it.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gulf_of_Tonkin_incident

Disco Pope
Dec 6, 2004

Top Class!

PinheadSlim posted:

Played too much Skyrim and think that if you accidentally kick someones chicken the entire town will murder your rear end

Showing up to the UN having your UI go nuts like

The UK disliked that
The USA disliked that
Poland hated that
China liked that
Germany disliked that

With a "bwwwwao" noise

TEMPLE GRANDIN OS
Dec 10, 2003

...blyat
Blyat! Criminal scum!

Afakasi
Jul 9, 2009

Do we think this happened before or after they asked why they shouldn't just make the jet out of the stuff the black box is made out of?

Vampire Panties
Apr 18, 2001
nposter
Nap Ghost

zone posted:

Presented without comment.

:allbuttons:

Putin is a real piece of poo poo

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

tiaz posted:

putting my engine as far from the centers of gravity and lift as possible

ME: wow, what's your workout routine?
PILOT WITH ARMS LIKE HE'S SMUGGLING CANTELOUPES IN THERE: my what?
Oh that's the engine! I was wondering what that was.

I also like the open air cockpit for two people. Communication must be super easy because wind noise is not a thing.

Tai
Mar 8, 2006
https://twitter.com/anyamrch/status/1699839163443605736?s=20

lmao

Disco Pope
Dec 6, 2004

Top Class!
Gender-Neutral America

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Yeah the DOD is going to LOOOOOOVE this.

Karate Bastard
Jul 31, 2007

Soiled Meat
Genderqueer Poccnr.

Karate Bastard
Jul 31, 2007

Soiled Meat
Not a non-fragile gender identity in sight

GundamHealer
Jul 23, 2022

zone posted:

Presented without comment.

Genocide Tourist Monthly Magazine

Schweinhund
Oct 23, 2004

:derp:   :kayak:                                     
I find it hard to believe that Elon had inside knowledge of Ukraine's secret military plans. It's more likely he just shut it off and it happened to be when they were about to attack the Navy. And Ukraine is always in the middle of attacking something of Russia's since they're at war and stuff so it's not some big coincidence.

bad boys for life
Jun 6, 2003

by sebmojo

Schweinhund posted:

I find it hard to believe that Elon had inside knowledge of Ukraine's secret military plans. It's more likely he just shut it off and it happened to be when they were about to attack the Navy. But Ukraine is always in the middle of attacking something of Russia's since they're at war and stuff.

They were trying to get it to work at Sevastopol, so it was sort of obvious what they were up to.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Elon (hopefully) doesn't have insider knowledge but he can surely see where the ground terminals are.

Willo567
Feb 5, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 21 hours!

Hasn't Ukraine attacked the Russian navy in Crimea several times by now? How the gently caress is this supposed to scare anyone other than Musk who's loving stupid

Dick Bastardly
Aug 22, 2012

Muttley is SKYNET!!!

Schweinhund posted:

I find it hard to believe that Elon had inside knowledge of Ukraine's secret military plans. It's more likely he just shut it off and it happened to be when they were about to attack the Navy. And Ukraine is always in the middle of attacking something of Russia's since they're at war and stuff so it's not some big coincidence.

I wonder if some technical data obtained via a process similar to radio triangulation or possibly timing the speed of data transfer relative to satellite positioning could give up geolocations on terminals and/or connected devices and this would give Musk a certain virtual picture of the battle space where his tech is being used, or maybe I just made all that up having no actual knowledge of how any of this poo poo works.

GundamHealer
Jul 23, 2022

I thought it was like, geo-fencing the frontlines and Crimea or something like that.

CoffeeQaddaffi
Mar 20, 2009

Willo567 posted:

Hasn't Ukraine attacked the Russian navy in Crimea several times by now? How the gently caress is this supposed to scare anyone other than Musk who's loving stupid

This is going back to either last year or very beginning of this year and when the drone boats washed ashore. This was to be the first drone boat attack at Sevastapol.

Toxic Mental
Jun 1, 2019

But but but ITAR!!!!

DiomedesGodshill
Feb 21, 2009

GundamHealer
Jul 23, 2022

https://x.com/nexta_tv/status/1699880871392612495?s=46&t=-v_f1MOnMrMNLHSwLfq9TQ

What air defense doing lol

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

CoffeeQaddaffi posted:

This is going back to either last year or very beginning of this year and when the drone boats washed ashore. This was to be the first drone boat attack at Sevastapol.

It was early on but the mushbrain like musk are still convinced nukes will start flying any moment now if we don't throw Ukraine under the bus

mobby_6kl fucked around with this message at 20:36 on Sep 8, 2023

Willo567
Feb 5, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 21 hours!

CoffeeQaddaffi posted:

I think it was last year. Either way, this is drat pathetic coming from Medvedev, considering all the attacks on Crimea since the first attack that Musk interfered with, and proves that he should be ignored

tiaz
Jul 1, 2004

PICK UP THAT PRESENT.

Zelensky's Zealots

Dick Bastardly posted:

I wonder if some technical data obtained via a process similar to radio triangulation or possibly timing the speed of data transfer relative to satellite positioning could give up geolocations on terminals and/or connected devices and this would give Musk a certain virtual picture of the battle space where his tech is being used, or maybe I just made all that up having no actual knowledge of how any of this poo poo works.

Starlink almost certainly has this capability by virtue of how it works, though I don' t know if they've built in tooling to make it easy. Low earth orbit means the satellite can only "see" a relatively small horizon of about 2500km. That sounds like a lot but remember that's the absolute limit: for it to be usefully high and unobstructed in the sky for your terminal to talk to it, it'll have to be closer than that, and at orbital speed the satellite will cross that entire 2500km in a few minutes. Even if you did away with signal strength calculations entirely, "what satellite is this terminal talking to?" can relatively quickly (I'm guessing 20-60m so you see a number of satellite transits) give you a pretty good idea of where it is. With signal strength over time it'll be even faster, because you can tell when the satellite was probably closest to the terminal.

And that's all assuming the terminal doesn't phone home its GPS coordinates anyway in a nicely formatted json message.

Scorchy
Jul 15, 2006

Smug Statement: Elementary, my dear meatbag.

Schweinhund posted:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions/2023/09/07/elon-musk-starlink-ukraine-russia-invasion/

quote:

By September, however, both Musk and military leaders in Ukraine and the United States were realizing the complexity of their relationship. One Friday evening that month, just after spending a week with Musk, I was back home in New Orleans watching a football game at my old high school. (The occasion was that it was one of the final games for the school’s superstar quarterback, Arch Manning.) My phone started vibrating with messages from Musk.

“This could be a giant disaster,” he texted. I went behind the bleachers to ask him what the problem was. He was in full Muskian crisis-hero-drama mode, this time understandably. A dangerous issue had arisen, and he believed there was “a non-trivial possibility,” as he put it, that it could lead to a nuclear war — with Starlink partly responsible. The Ukrainian military was attempting a sneak attack on the Russian naval fleet based at Sevastopol in Crimea by sending six small drone submarines packed with explosives, and it was using Starlink to guide them to the target.

Although he had readily supported Ukraine, he believed it was reckless for Ukraine to launch an attack on Crimea, which Russia had annexed in 2014. He had just spoken to the Russian ambassador to the United States. (In later conversations with a few other people, he seemed to imply that he had spoken directly to President Vladimir Putin, but to me he said his communications had gone through the ambassador.) The ambassador had explicitly told him that a Ukrainian attack on Crimea would lead to a nuclear response. Musk explained to me in great detail, as I stood behind the bleachers, the Russian laws and doctrines that decreed such a response.

Throughout the evening and into the night, he personally took charge of the situation. Allowing the use of Starlink for the attack, he concluded, could be a disaster for the world. So he secretly told his engineers to turn off coverage within 100 kilometers of the Crimean coast. As a result, when the Ukrainian drone subs got near the Russian fleet in Sevastopol, they lost connectivity and washed ashore harmlessly.

So he knew exactly what was going on. And he's just phoning journalists he's buddies with and telling them all this poo poo.

tiaz posted:

Starlink almost certainly has this capability by virtue of how it works, though I don' t know if they've built in tooling to make it easy. Low earth orbit means the satellite can only "see" a relatively small horizon of about 2500km. That sounds like a lot but remember that's the absolute limit: for it to be usefully high and unobstructed in the sky for your terminal to talk to it, it'll have to be closer than that, and at orbital speed the satellite will cross that entire 2500km in a few minutes. Even if you did away with signal strength calculations entirely, "what satellite is this terminal talking to?" can relatively quickly (I'm guessing 20-60m so you see a number of satellite transits) give you a pretty good idea of where it is. With signal strength over time it'll be even faster, because you can tell when the satellite was probably closest to the terminal.

And that's all assuming the terminal doesn't phone home its GPS coordinates anyway in a nicely formatted json message.

I can't find the quote, but there was an article about a month back confirming exactly this. Musk has access to the Starlink dashboard showing where all the terminals are (and thus the exact coordinates where all the UKR frontline troops are located).

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

How the gently caress does this man still have a security clearance???

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

Baronjutter posted:

How the gently caress does this man still have a security clearance???

Because he is very, very wealthy person and in US they cannot have a situation where billionaires are held accountable for something trivial like treason or spying for foreign power in case they aren't US citizens. It sets a very bad precedent.

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

"we have the big rocket aimed at your ballz mister mask" - russian ambassador to the absolutely terrified reddit man

vaginite
Feb 8, 2006

I'm comin' for you, colonel.

Anyone else think it's odd that a big chunk of our space program and communications infrastructure is controlled by a private citizen that's gakked on ketamine all the time

Pot Smoke Phoenix
Aug 15, 2007

Smoke 'em if you gottem!
Dinosaur Gum

vaginite posted:

Anyone else think it's odd that a big chunk of our space program and communications infrastructure is controlled by a private citizen that's gakked on ketamine all the time

Little bit, yeah

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Mods name change to Elon567 pls

Tigey
Apr 6, 2015

fatherboxx posted:

"we have the big rocket aimed at your ballz mister mask" - russian ambassador to the absolutely terrified reddit man

Elon's balls won't be nuked until next Tuesday.

Karate Bastard
Jul 31, 2007

Soiled Meat
Move aside grandin we have more shriveled balls to nuke

Disco Pope
Dec 6, 2004

Top Class!
Look, I'm not beyond nuclear anxiety, but the dumbest thing here is that Elon was definitely a manipulatable asset because he'd been smoking weed and playing Fallout 4.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Burns
May 10, 2008

I think UA needs to consider switching to other communications systems seeing as Starlink is basically compromised.