Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: PoundSand)

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Bruce Hussein Daddy posted:

:same: I have an appointment for tomorrow but I am thinking about cancelling it and waiting until mid/late October. I am about 90% WFH, don't go inside anywhere except grocery and hardware stores and obviously masked. The only constant in this bullshit is that there has always been a spike from xmas to new year, the other ones are random.

Does anyone have the old titerslastthislonggraph.jpg?

I think I'm going to wait with the reasoning that my risk is going to be higher in December, and that since the wave is already here if I get a shot today I have a non-negligible risk of getting the shot and then catching COVID before the immune response from the shot kicks in, defeating the benefit of the shot.

So if I get got between now and the first week of October or so, or between Thanksgiving and New Years, then my gamble was correct. If I get got after that first week of October through early November then my gamble did not pay off. If I don't get got at all in 2023 then timing of the shot won't have mattered much anyway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice
COVID is going around at my office currently and a lot of people are on their 3rd and 4th rounds and it is finally starting to dawn on them that this is forever now. However the response seems to just shrug their shoulder and go "that sucks".

CoasterMaster
Aug 13, 2003

The Emperor of the Rides

Nap Ghost

Thoguh posted:

COVID is going around at my office currently and a lot of people are on their 3rd and 4th rounds and it is finally starting to dawn on them that this is forever now. However the response seems to just shrug their shoulder and go "that sucks".

Taken from a post on my work's slack about an hour ago:

A: feeling a bit under the weather, gonna go lie down for a bit and see if i feel better
B: totally that time of the year, everyone i know is getting sick
A: my gf has been traveling a lot recently too, so that probably isn't helping anything

:catstare:

SardonicTyrant
Feb 26, 2016

BTICH IM A NEWT
熱くなれ夢みた明日を
必ずいつかつかまえる
走り出せ振り向くことなく
&

Thoguh posted:

I have started planning things based on what the end of this decade will be like. How much of my family is going to die or be disabled by covid by 2030? Friends? Possible co-workers? Then i just prioritze the people i think will make it.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice
I'm also taking some grad school classes right now and we had a guy in one of my group projects get married and then disappear off the face of the earth for three weeks before sending us a note that he "had been really sick and was just now starting to feel good enough to sign on" and was dropping the class. Dude clearly caught COVID at his wedding and got knocked on his rear end for almost a month but couldn't utter the forbidden word.

Why Am I So Tired
Sep 28, 2021
Lots of people getting sick lately. Something must be going around.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

eXXon posted:

Trying to figure out what the gently caress "business leaders are now more attuned to their workers, both physically and psychologically" is supposed to mean. What kind of physical attunement are we talking about here exactly?

it means that employers now know that workers NEED to be in office, or it will destroy their emotional well being. you know, like what they said about slaves and whipping

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

Why Am I So Tired posted:

Lots of people getting sick lately. Something must be going around.

yeah it's the summer flu, which is a totally real thing and not made up

Insanite
Aug 30, 2005

Fur20 posted:

it means that employers now know that workers NEED to be in office, or it will destroy their emotional well being. you know, like what they said about slaves and whipping

it's repurposing the "kids are still depressed and chronically absent not due to recurring infections but rather psychological damage from a brief period of virtual schooling" thing to the adult workforce lol

tenderjerk
Nov 6, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 371 days!

tangy yet delightful posted:

yeah it's the summer flu, which is a totally real thing and not made up

i genuinely think we are doing a mass mandela effect on this, that these summer flus have always been around and you're an idiot if you didn't know this

but op is right, there is something going around out there and it is getting people sick

Diamonds On MY Fish
Dec 10, 2008

I WAS BORN THIS WAY
School DID just start in a lot of places, and that does always seem to bring an uptick in illness transmission. I'm not sure if there's been a week yet where neither of my kids are sick and we've all tested negative on multiple COVID tests (both Lucira and RAT)

I called our HMO to try ang schedule boosters for the kids (wife and I are waiting for Nova) and they told me that they're not scheduling them yet cause they're waiting for the CDC to authorize them :argh:

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

Oh don't get me wrong at this point there's absolutely regular colds going around in varying forms. But there's a weird uptick in people calling long bad spring and summer sicknesses "the flu" when it's objectively not.

Baddog
May 12, 2001
CVS not allowing me to schedule for my kid. Called the local and they said it was for 12+. uhh..... dude I'm pretty sure it was authorized for 6 months+

"well, we'll know more when we actually get it in".

Same answer for asking what the difference in dosage is between pediatric and adult-sized. (I guess because they are operating under the assumption there is no pediatric dosage, heh).

nexous
Jan 14, 2003

I just want to be pure
don’t worry we have the tools

Fireside Nut
Feb 10, 2010

turp

Baddog posted:

CVS not allowing me to schedule for my kid. Called the local and they said it was for 12+. uhh..... dude I'm pretty sure it was authorized for 6 months+

Same answer for asking what the difference in dosage is between pediatric and adult-sized. (I guess because they are operating under the assumption there is no pediatric dosage, heh).

Every time around the pediatric vaccine is a cluster

My spouse and I already have our appointments booked for Saturday but can't find anyone, including our kids' pediatric health system, with any concrete info on peds vax

Loucks
May 21, 2007

It's incwedibwe easy to suck my own dick.

Idk what it is, but there’s definitely some sort of non-Covid respiratory thing going around. My kid was coughing long before he got actual covid, and my spouse has developed a cough that’s presumably not Covid since she keeps testing negative on RATs. I haven’t been sick since Feb 2020 though, so I have to conclude I am now immune to all disease and might as well go get bogo apps at my local chain restaurant.

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

Loucks posted:

Idk what it is, but there’s definitely some sort of non-Covid respiratory thing going around. My kid was coughing long before he got actual covid, and my spouse has developed a cough that’s presumably not Covid since she keeps testing negative on RATs. I haven’t been sick since Feb 2020 though, so I have to conclude I am now immune to all disease and might as well go get bogo apps at my local chain restaurant.

It's COVID

Pingui
Jun 4, 2006

WTF?
Regarding pediatric doses and such, the AAP has this article with some helpful links at the bottom:
https://publications.aap.org/aapnews/news/25869/CDC-approves-updated-COVID-19-vaccines-for

The first link goes to a CDC presentation (p. 136), which calls the dosing "proposed":
https://www.cdc.gov/vaccines/acip/meetings/downloads/slides-2023-09-12/11-COVID-Wallace-508.pdf

The second link goes to a page that says:

Both of which makes me think that perhaps pediatric dosing hasn't been entirely decided.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

hey now, not necessarily. how old is this kid, if by "kid" op means "no longer an actual kid but a surly teenager, kid is just easier to say" then maybe he just started smoking weed

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

dxt posted:

Is the moderna shot still bigger? More vaxxx = more titers = more good

Anyone able to answer this? I tried a quick google but trying to google for this specific dose versus the previous formulations, and everything is like a PDF of tons of bullshit I'm trying to sift through.

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

tangy yet delightful posted:

Anyone able to answer this? I tried a quick google but trying to google for this specific dose versus the previous formulations, and everything is like a PDF of tons of bullshit I'm trying to sift through.

According to the new CDC slides, the updated 23/24 shot dosing for >12 years are 0.5mL for Moderna and 0.3mL for Pfizer, which I think is the same as it has been. The pediatric dosing for Moderna appears to be 0.25mL while Pfizer is still 0.3.

e: it's on slides 141 and 142 here if you're curious https://www.cdc.gov/vaccines/acip/meetings/downloads/slides-2023-09-12/11-COVID-Wallace-508.pdf

Baddog
May 12, 2001

Pingui posted:

Regarding pediatric doses and such, the AAP has this article with some helpful links at the bottom:
https://publications.aap.org/aapnews/news/25869/CDC-approves-updated-COVID-19-vaccines-for

The first link goes to a CDC presentation (p. 136), which calls the dosing "proposed":
https://www.cdc.gov/vaccines/acip/meetings/downloads/slides-2023-09-12/11-COVID-Wallace-508.pdf

Both of which makes me think that perhaps pediatric dosing hasn't been entirely decided.

The Oldest Man posted:

According to the new CDC slides, the updated 23/24 shot dosing for >12 years are 0.5mL for Moderna and 0.3mL for Pfizer, which I think is the same as it has been. The pediatric dosing for Moderna appears to be 0.25mL while Pfizer is still 0.3.

e: it's on slides 141 and 142 here if you're curious https://www.cdc.gov/vaccines/acip/meetings/downloads/slides-2023-09-12/11-COVID-Wallace-508.pdf

Huh interesting if pfizer is giving the same dosage across the board. Makes things simpler for sure.

dxt
Mar 27, 2004
METAL DISCHARGE

The Oldest Man posted:

Getting that jumbo Moderna shot for maximum titers :hellyeah:

brap
Aug 23, 2004

Grimey Drawer
if you have covid symptoms and RATs are negative, it could still be covid, get a PCR

Glumwheels
Jan 25, 2003

https://twitter.com/BidenHQ

Pingui posted:

CDC: gently caress the kids

The chuds think Europe is so great now for once because supposedly several countries don’t recommend the vaccine for kids now?

Poppers
Jan 21, 2023

It’s probably rhinovirus. That’s what children are getting sick with right now.

Pingui
Jun 4, 2006

WTF?

Glumwheels posted:

CDC: gently caress the kids

The chuds think Europe is so great now for once because supposedly several countries don’t recommend the vaccine for kids now?

Well in so far as COVID is concerned, it certainly isn't recommended (or generally allowed) for kids here :denmark:, though with a notable exception:

https://en.coronasmitte.dk/ posted:

Vaccination
From 1 October, you may once again be vaccinated against influenza and covid-19. The Danish Health Authority recommends vaccination if you are over 65 years of age or at increased risk of a serious illness.

The vast majority of younger people will have milder symptoms if they get the flu or covid-19. However, there are a number of diseases and conditions where the risk of a serious development is increased, such as chronic lung disease, severely compromised immune system, or pregnancy.

The Danish Health Authority recommends vaccination for the following people:
  • People aged 65 and over
  • People under 65 with a chronic illness (see list below)
  • Obese and pregnant women in their 2nd and 3rd trimester
  • People with other serious illnesses or conditions that, in the opinion of a physician, cause influenza or covid-19 to pose a serious health risk
  • Persons in the same household as people with congenital or acquired immunodeficiency, or children at increased risk of getting severe influenza or covid-19

But if you mean in a more general sense, kids under 5 are allowed and recommended to get a flu shot.

Edit: Can't speak for the other countries. Things are generally getting very stupid on the vaccination front though, so :shrug:

Pingui has issued a correction as of 22:35 on Sep 14, 2023

Psycho Society
Oct 21, 2010

Poppers posted:

dont diagnose people online, dipshit

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

OVER

DominoKitten
Aug 7, 2012

Here's a paper for folks interested in knowing where a possible next COVID minimization vector is forming:

Long COVID as a functional somatic symptom disorder caused by abnormally precise prior expectations during Bayesian perceptual processing: A new hypothesis and implications for pandemic response, in a journal called Sage Open Med

It puts forth that Long COVID is "real" for the people suffering from it, but lays the blame at the public health approach for inducing fear in the population, thereby giving predisposed people a somatic disorder. All the media scares served as a "nocebo". The lockdowns caused lots of mental illness. They come up with a new term to replace Long COVID: "Pandemic-Response Syndrome"; they also use the term "Long-Pandemic" and "COVID Stress Syndrome". A bunch of citations I haven't dug through yet, talking about weaknesses in papers studying long COVID. (And I mean, yeah, it's in fact really hard to find a control group of uninfected people these days, so if that's the standard I can't imagine how one would ever be satisfied now, oh well guess we'll never know.)

I find it a bit hard to really review this paper because I keep stumbling into things that I'm pretty sure I disagree with, for instance, they cite a paper talking about “[It is] biologically implausible that an infection that is usually mild or asymptomatic in children would commonly result in severe post-infection symptoms.” and I immediately think of post polio syndrome, and then I immediately think of this lady on Twitter talking about learning to stop fearing Polio because it was actually was DDT and heavy metal poisoning and then I just wanna have a lie down and think really hard about how we nearly lost the knowledge to combat scurvy after we figured it out the first time.

But I do think it's valuable to look at papers you know you disagree with and see what the other side is working with in their reasonings and citations.

Zugzwang
Jan 2, 2005

You have a kind of sick desperation in your laugh.

Ramrod XTreme

Poppers posted:

Wastewater levels where I live have blown past the BA.1 wave :coronatoot:

It's not just a single datapoint or a curve fit artifact either.

sonatinas
Apr 15, 2003

Seattle Karate Vs. L.A. Karate

Baddog posted:

yeah all the Walgreens and CVS around me don’t have the peds dose and my kids dr doesn’t either and I’m in metro Detroit. real cool!

Pingui
Jun 4, 2006

WTF?

DominoKitten posted:

(..)
But I do think it's valuable to look at papers you know you disagree with and see what the other side is working with in their reasonings and citations.

In an abstract sense I agree, but I think that article (per your description) is veering too far from material reality to grant any insight.

DominoKitten
Aug 7, 2012

Pingui posted:

In an abstract sense I agree, but I think that article is veering to far from material reality to grant any insight.

I don't think that the paper is going to give useful insight on material reality. I think it's going to give insight on possible ways people will frame COVID as being Not A Problem, so Nothing Needs To Be Done. It's not a problem because we have the tools. It's not a problem because it's just a cold, just like the flu. It's not a problem because we have previous immunity now, hybrid immunity now. It's not a problem because the hospitals aren't overwhelmed. Low testing, low cases, no problem.

In this instance, COVID is not a problem because Long Covid is just a mental health issue from lockdown and the public health response making people fearful beyond reason, nevermind that I can think of multiple papers finding various biological markers.

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

e you know what I am going to stop posting this garbage

Newsweek is owned by some organization like the moonies or something and is no more reliable than the national inquirer

Why Am I So Tired
Sep 28, 2021

Thoguh posted:

Dude clearly caught COVID at his wedding and got knocked on his rear end for almost a month but couldn't utter the forbidden word.

I wasn't prepared for the way society ended up downplaying the severity of the pandemic, but witnessing everyone refuse to name the obvious thing that's making them sick has been something else entirely. Somehow everyone communicated to each other without words that COVID can't / shouldn't be named, almost like telepathy between longtime basketball teammates.

Pingui
Jun 4, 2006

WTF?

DominoKitten posted:

I don't think that the paper is going to give useful insight on material reality. I think it's going to give insight on possible ways people will frame COVID as being Not A Problem, so Nothing Needs To Be Done. It's not a problem because we have the tools. It's not a problem because it's just a cold, just like the flu. It's not a problem because we have previous immunity now, hybrid immunity now. It's not a problem because the hospitals aren't overwhelmed. Low testing, low cases, no problem.

In this instance, COVID is not a problem because Long Covid is just a mental health issue from lockdown and the public health response making people fearful beyond reason, nevermind that I can think of multiple papers finding various biological markers.

Right, I understand. But the fundamental argument isn't new, we see it quite a bit from the right. Where it provides a new vector would be either constructing a new material connect or arguing to a different group. However it isn't really doing either, as it is too far from material reality for the right-wingers suffering from PASC and a right-wing think-tank toady + an executive coach, is a bit too on the nose for the nominal left-wing.

Pingui
Jun 4, 2006

WTF?

(..) I am going to stop posting (..)

Disgusting.

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Why Am I So Tired posted:

I wasn't prepared for the way society ended up downplaying the severity of the pandemic, but witnessing everyone refuse to name the obvious thing that's making them sick has been something else entirely. Somehow everyone communicated to each other without words that COVID can't / shouldn't be named, almost like telepathy between longtime basketball teammates.

PTA meeting the other night several parents asked if absenteeism is caused by illness like Covid and the principal looked like a politician fake smiling through a hard question from a reporter during a debate as he explained that they have no evidence that kids are missing school due to illness. Two other parents complained that their kids had caught Covid at school and he was like ‘well kids aren’t missing school like they were last year’ and one shot back ‘yeah there’s no testing and no requirement they stay home like last year either’ and he just had this carefully schooled fake serene smile on his face and said ‘well there’s nothing we can do about that if it’s not required they stay home.’
The president of the PTA apparently caught Covid from her kid and it developed into pneumonia, and another board members kid had to quit football after catching it, though none of them have been masking or not going out and about but they’re sure their kids are bringing it home because they tell them stories all the time about how so and so came to school sick and said it was Covid so it’s no big deal.
Our wastewater levels pretty much went vertical when school started.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

Oracle posted:

PTA meeting the other night several parents asked if absenteeism is caused by illness like Covid and the principal looked like a politician fake smiling through a hard question from a reporter during a debate as he explained that they have no evidence that kids are missing school due to illness. Two other parents complained that their kids had caught Covid at school and he was like ‘well kids aren’t missing school like they were last year’ and one shot back ‘yeah there’s no testing and no requirement they stay home like last year either’ and he just had this carefully schooled fake serene smile on his face and said ‘well there’s nothing we can do about that if it’s not required they stay home.’
The president of the PTA apparently caught Covid from her kid and it developed into pneumonia, and another board members kid had to quit football after catching it, though none of them have been masking or not going out and about but they’re sure their kids are bringing it home because they tell them stories all the time about how so and so came to school sick and said it was Covid so it’s no big deal.
Our wastewater levels pretty much went vertical when school started.

quote:

The White House is raising the alarm on students’ chronic absenteeism, saying there needs to be an “all-hands-an-deck approach” as the issue could be contributing to learning loss.

“A necessary step to ensure students benefit from all that schools have to offer is to support students’ consistent presence in the classroom—which is why the Biden-Harris Administration is focused on the issue of chronic absenteeism,” the White House said in a statement Wednesday.

Chronic absenteeism — defined as missing 10 percent or more of school days –—was exacerbated by the pandemic, with one study showing chronic absenteeism doubled over two years.

The Council of Economic Advisers partnered with the National Center for Education Statistics to figure out the impact of chronic absenteeism on test scores.

The White House released a figure from the collaboration that showed the “observed association between absenteeism and test scores is large enough to account for 16-27 percent of the overall test score declines in math, and 36-45 percent of the declines in reading.”

It noted caveats to the data, including the unknown “extent to which the recent increase in absenteeism is a stand-alone, causal contributor to test score declines, and to what extent it is a symptom of other factors that could account for both the increases in student absenteeism and declines in performance.”

The White House pointed to some efforts to combat the issue, such as mailing outreach and texts to parents along with early warning systems.

The administration says it has worked to combat chronic absenteeism through grant funds, technical support to states and schools, supporting mental health programs and working with the National Partnership for Student Success.

“Ultimately, whether chronic absenteeism is a symptom or a cause — or both — of ongoing academic disruption, the evidence is clear that the road to recovery runs through the classroom,” the White House concluded.
https://thehill.com/homenews/education/4202840-wh-raises-alarm-on-students-chronic-absenteeism/