Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

riderchop posted:

whats going on in Zits

Zits does this every once in a while. Like that time Bigfoot snuck into the house at night, or the time the gang meets aliens on a road trip, there's a zombie in the classroom for some reason, or that time jeremy buys a bowling shirt and transforms into the middle aged guy who haunted the shirt or that time pierce made a body building app that literally changes the body

Sometimes I think the writer just gets bored.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011
Scary Go Round (March 25-28, 2003)

First appearance: Fallon Young, another character who straddles the line between recurring and main at times.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light
Beetle Bailey

I did this when I replaced a memory foam mattress. I had no way to dispose of the old one, so I put the new on top of it.

manero
Jan 30, 2006

Dunkin' on Sputter

Pluggers

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

manero posted:

Dunkin' on Sputter
Pluggers

gently caress

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic

Powered Descent posted:

When this running gag started thirty-some-odd years ago, it was just Ed taking a sadistic glee in not stopping for kids who were clearly running for the bus, or for moms running out to deliver a forgotten lunchbox. At some point that transformed into Ed feeling it's his solemn duty to never allow a child onto his bus at all. Like this is apparently the only kid who's even trying anymore, and they have to persuade him every day to even allow it.

It's not uncommon for an element of a comic strip to leave reality behind and take on a life of its own (e.g. Snoopy's alter egos, or the Forths' haunted house), but this one has just gotten so odd that it's hard to even know what to make of it anymore.

So the man whose entire job has been, for years, to stop the bus and allow children onto the bus to go to school, has the entire term of his employment refused to stop the bus and allow said children onto it to be taken to school.

Why the gently caress is he still employed?

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Solving all of life's problems through enhanced casting of Occam's Razor. Reward yourself with an imaginary chalice.

God I love how much the old Archie artist has such a loving eye for good reaction faces.

I Was Gonna Say Something About How Rudy Shouldn't Be A Cub If He's 18 And It's A Sign Of The Patriarchy That Men Are Considered Boys At That Age But Women Are Just Plain Women But Instead Holy gently caress Rudy Without His Hat And Sunglasses What The Hell It's Like He's Naked

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

The Demons of Baseball

don Jaime
Apr 3, 2004

Doomykins posted:

Scary Gary pulls it off smoothly

Wait, what? Scary Gary is terrible all the way through.

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?

don Jaime posted:

Wait, what? Scary Gary is terrible all the way through.

Agree to disagree. The art is decent and consistent and he redraws to avoid copy and pasting, he can tell a reasonable variety of jokes and he's got solid if not too adventurous cartooning. It can be outright morbid but it's generally charming and despite the cruelty to some it's somehow not too mean spirited. Like Travis and Gary and the Ghost are clearly the butts of jokes but they're pretty chill and likeable. And it's just classy to pull Leopold off as such an awful prick but he's funny since he's balanced against almost the entire rest of the cast.

When I think terrible I think New Trail or Randy Popeye(action/adventure and cartooning) or Dustin(hateful) or something Batiuk vomits out. Even at it's worst I don't think Scary Gary can objectively be less than a 3/5. There are so many sins of the comics pages and Scary Gary dodges most.

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

I've got my father's great big six-shooter with me 'n' if anybody in this woods wants to start somethin' just let 'em--but they DASSN'T.

Malachite_Dragon posted:

So the man whose entire job has been, for years, to stop the bus and allow children onto the bus to go to school, has the entire term of his employment refused to stop the bus and allow said children onto it to be taken to school.

Why the gently caress is he still employed?

Strong union?

Our Boarding House (August 4-6, 1924; spoiler for pseudo-Latino shenanigans)

Out Our Way: Waiting For The School Ma'am (August 5, 1924)

Toonerville Folks (October 10-12, 1921 with an Aunt Eppie modesty curtain)

Dok's Dippy Competing Narratives (December 2, 1914)

Little Lefty (February 23-25, 1939)

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

A octopus! :ohdear:

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

Luann

Gil Thorp

Home Free

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

F Minus

Mark Trail

Mary Worth

Yes, what have we here indeed.

The Phantom

Pooch Cafe

Rex Morgan MD

Andertoons

Apartment 3-G

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender
1981 comics

Dick Tracy

Footrot Flats

The Lockhorns

Computoon: Origins

Kammat
Feb 9, 2008
Odd Person

Some Guy TT posted:

The Demons of Baseball

That is the face of a woman about to drop the mother of all press bombs for revenge.

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe
Crabgrass

Peanuts Through the Ages (Jun 10-11, 1969)

Big Nate

Blind Alley

Strontium
Aug 28, 2009

Dexter didn't much care for the party.

rannum posted:

Zits does this every once in a while. Like that time Bigfoot snuck into the house at night, or the time the gang meets aliens on a road trip, there's a zombie in the classroom for some reason, or that time jeremy buys a bowling shirt and transforms into the middle aged guy who haunted the shirt or that time pierce made a body building app that literally changes the body

Sometimes I think the writer just gets bored.
And it's great when they do that. Jeremy is mostly unfazed by the absurdity so the stakes are low, and these arcs don't drag on for weeks. It's the complete opposite of the Crabgrass problem.

Daddy Daze

Take It From The Tinkersons

Macanudo

Dark Side Of The Horse

riderchop
Aug 10, 2010

av by @daikonquest!
Heathcliff

Compu-toon

Garfield

Overboard

Monty

For Better or For Worse

Classic Arlo and Janis (October 16, 2001)

Rae The Doe, which you can support by pledging to the author's Patreon

On The Fastrack

Safe Havens

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

The child has done something without the mother's approval. The child will soon learn the error of her ways.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.

Kammat posted:

That is the face of a woman about to drop the mother of all press bombs for revenge.

But revenge on who? Feels like I missed something. Did she fall out with the director or ?

riderchop
Aug 10, 2010

av by @daikonquest!

My Lovely Horse posted:

The child has done something without the mother's approval. The child will soon learn the error of her ways.

in looking at the archive on lynn's site to see how this ends up (it sucks!), i saw this 'Barenaked Ladies reference' tag on this comic, but im not sure what the reference is. im new to Canada and have insufficient BNL knowledge

fondue
Jul 14, 2002

riderchop posted:

in looking at the archive on lynn's site to see how this ends up (it sucks!), i saw this 'Barenaked Ladies reference' tag on this comic, but im not sure what the reference is. im new to Canada and have insufficient BNL knowledge

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KLTZv2NFkLI

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

riderchop posted:

I had to do a bit of a dive for this since I'm not much of a BNL fan (I was more into the Hip) and apparently it's a reference to the song "Grade 9":

lyrics posted:

[Chorus]
This is me in grade nine, baby
This is me in grade nine (This is me in grade nine)
This is me in grade nine, baby
This is me in grade nine

e:f;b

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

Goddamnit, I had forgotten about the bowling ball. Well played, Tauhid.

Chicken Parmigiana
Sep 12, 2007

A New York broadcast executive wouldn’t lie!

Medenmath
Jan 18, 2003
Vintage Valiant (May 03, 1959)

The inevitable happens

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Val: fellow knights of the round table I have broken my word of honor and can no longer be one of you
also Val: gently caress your honor I'ma gently caress this guy up

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

we've all seen it a hundred times already and will see it many more times in the future, but there's always just something great about val getting ready to gently caress some guy up for being on the wrong side of whatever today's problem is

spookygonk
Apr 3, 2005
Does not give a damn

hexwren posted:

we've all seen it a hundred times already and will see it many more times in the future, but there's always just something great about val getting ready to gently caress some guy up for being on the wrong side of whatever today's problem is

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Extra untranslatable Fingerpori

OK, this is going to require a fair bit of setup. In the original Finnish, the old grandma is speaking a dialect from rural Ostrabothnia which is kind of thought to be an extra folksy and old timey dialect of Finnish. One feature of the dialect is that it replaces the traditional first and second personal pronouns ("minä", me and "sinä", you) with "mie", me and "sie", you. So she's about to ask Heimo something with the personal pronoun "sie".

But what about the mushroom picker? Well, with that we're back to a Fingerpori classic, compound words.

The Finnish word for "mushroom picker" is "sienestäjä", literally mushroomer, it's just basically a form of "sieni", mushroom, turned into a noun by way of passive verb. But "sienestäjä" can ALSO be a compound word of "sien" (the genetive form of "sie") + "estäjä" (blocker or preventer), literally "sie's blocker" or "sie's preventer".

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

Haifisch posted:

1981 comics

That last panel...the 80s were a simpler time to be sure.

Medenmath posted:

Vintage Valiant (May 03, 1959)

The inevitable happens

To be fair, Coth did send an assassin after Val.

Green Intern fucked around with this message at 11:18 on Sep 19, 2023

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Shaman Tank Spec posted:

Extra untranslatable Fingerpori

Heroes are made, not born.

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Rhymes with Orange

Get Fuzzy 9/18/03

Brenda Starr 9/20-22/51

Smokey Stover 11/25/56

Everyday Movies 10/14/36

"I may not understand everything the instructor says in Corporation Finance B3, but I know I've had six dates and one proposal out of the class already."

Invisible Scarlet O'Neil 3/19-21/42

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
we all need a Val in our lives, to tell us when it's time for honor and time to gently caress poo poo up.

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
we all need a Val in our lives, to beat our enemies and impress girls.

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

His Divine Shadow posted:

But revenge on who? Feels like I missed something. Did she fall out with the director or ?

So Prudence Hong's boyfriend used to be the star of the Cowboys (and apparently a pretty famous guy?), except his baseball skills didn't hold a candle to the Meteors, much less Copper Ma. When Director Sohn took over the Cowboys, he shuffled around the starter team to include the Demons of Baseball but demoted Prudence's boyfriend to the secondistringers. While the boyfriend took it well and accepted that this is for the good of the team, Prudence broke up with him citing that she can't have a loser for a boyfriend.

So the reason she's plotting to take down Director Sohn using whatever means necessary means either she actually cared about her ex and wanted to get revenge for him, or she felt her boyfriend losing his star status is a slight against her own pride as someone known as the beautiful sports reported who's dating a sports star.

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

We all need a Val in our lives, to dress up like a wandering troubadour and spring us from a tower gaol.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

Selachian posted:

Invisible Scarlet O'Neil 3/19-21/42

is this mf gonna come out with a mind control device or a death ray do you think

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Robot stilts and accordion sprint arms.

And I love the Scarlet/Timid Soul crossover. :allears:

I like that Scarlet draws affable people and jerks of all sizes, even if small man, heavy woman has come up two stories in a row now. Scarlet's landlady is kind.